Contrary to posted opinions, NES's are difficult to find and/or hire

I have no idea what's going on. I wanted to leave Phuket after 15 years. I sent my cv, docs, local police paper, tons of qualifications. NOT ONE REPLY from BKK and other areas that pays 40++ a month. NADA.

Being 48+ is a death sentence in this country.

Take it easy, I'm eight years older, son. -biggrin.png

@1phish2phish

Well, I've handle recruitment for schools and received long-winded cover letters. Don't get me wrong, some were from highly motivated teachers. But knowing the HoD, they wouldn't make it. Truth be told, many won't bother reading applications. They skim.

It's an interesting discussion. The main gripes seem to be that salaries are generally too low for NES teachers and haven't changed for years, although qualification requirements and additional duties are being increased. I wonder if the same is true for Thai teachers regarding salaries not increasing. I'll assume that teaching requirements for Thais haven't changed in decades.

Edited by Inn Between

It's an interesting discussion. The main gripes seem to be that salaries are generally too low for NES teachers and haven't changed for years, although qualification requirements and additional duties are being increased. I wonder if the same is true for Thai teachers regarding salaries not increasing. I'll assume that teaching requirements for Thais haven't changed in decades.

RE: Thai teachers teaching requirements...I know, for a fact, that at some schools, in the English departments, when a teacher retires some(all actually) of the teaching load is shuffled to remaining Thai teachers and this load increase can carry over what seems like forever, but to the next school year etc.. There are it seems a far greater number of Thai English teachers reaching retirement age than young Thai English teachers available to replace them. In a few cases, the college graduates find employment in other areas such as "business" with higher wages, much higher than what is offered to recently graduated Education(with English as a minor) degrees. My factual sample is limited. I'll anxiously await other's observations.

@1phish2phish

Well, I've handle recruitment for schools and received long-winded cover letters. Don't get me wrong, some were from highly motivated teachers. But knowing the HoD, they wouldn't make it. Truth be told, many won't bother reading applications. They skim.

Part of the confusion is caused by the Thai concept that just because a person submits her CV and a cover letter, she is willing to accept the job. There doesn't seem to be the possibility that a person is just expressing interest in what is available. So, needless to say, they only need to skim said documents as they think they are in complete control of the person, as you repeat, considering them an applicant vs. someone interested. It's strange to hear the reactions from someone who thinks all they have to do is say "you have the job" when they are told to wait a second, tell me more or this or that. Very strange.