Contrary to posted opinions, NES's are difficult to find and/or hire

Good afternoon.

I had responded some place that NES's were becoming difficult to find, to fill typical teaching positions i.e. in Government schools. These countries need not be listed, but the basic qualification is an actual college degree and being born or at the very least, raised by Native English speaking parents and educated in schools and universities in which English is the spoken and written language.

I've noticed a few inquires on here and other forums/boards looking for same. Lately I've even received two private messages asking for help to fill positions this month, now!

If you folks think there are in fact line ups of qualified NES's for these schools to choose from, please let me and the rest of the population know where. We just don't agree here in the trenches.

Bruce, not sure how best to respond, but I have oversight, including hiring, for several schools in 4 different provinces. Due to some structural changes, we had to hire a significant number of new staff. The reasons included an increase in the number of grades with a homeroom teacher and having those teachers be NES. There was also an increase in the number of hours of hours of actual English language being taught. With all of the schools combined, it came to around 50 new teachers. There are a few positions left to fill, but this is mostly because of last minute changes to schedules and a few teachers who confirmed they would work but subsequently changed their minds.

The biggest increase in applicants have been from South Africa, which isn't considered to be a NES country, although many have English as a first language and of those hired, they have exceptionally good English and very, very high TOEIC scores. All attended University with English as the medium of instruction.

The number of American, British and Canadian applicants has remained about the same. Nearly all the Americans & Canadians have degrees (not in education, though). Less than half the British applicants have degrees.

Compared to maybe 5 or more years ago, the overall quality of the teachers has risen. Most have some experience and have a grasp of how students learn and classroom management. Most have families here or connections of some type to the country.

We have fewer 'backpacker' types and I would say fewer 'sexpats'. The younger generation are quite serious about their jobs and less into partying and some of the seedier aspects of Thailand which I saw some years back.

Historically, the numbers and the countries where applicants come from has risen and fallen with the economy of the country. That is a generalization I can't 100% prove, but it did appear to be the case.

A lot of the people who hung around the country because of the easy of getting a visa, including education visas, seem to have disappeared.

I have no idea what's going on. I wanted to leave Phuket after 15 years. I sent my cv, docs, local police paper, tons of qualifications. NOT ONE REPLY from BKK and other areas that pays 40++ a month. NADA.

Being 48+ is a death sentence in this country.

Oh, goodness, we don't start looking at the age factor until well into the 60's and we have hired people in their 70's. In my experience, it's not the age, but how old you look that makes a difference.

It's been getting more difficult to teach here for a few years now. Too many agencies in some areas have pushed the wages down. I'm a NES with a degree, teacher licence and experience and one agency in my area offered 20,000 a month for a full time position (7-30am to 4-30pm). I offered to work three days a week but the school director found that insulting. Not as insulting as I found their salary.

Anyway, thanks to some other TV member I now have a much better job.

In my experience, it's not the age, but how old you look that makes a difference.

Ouch! The truth really hurts smile.png

Having lots of spare time on my hands, and (as yet), with no buyers for my hotel, I decided to go back to teaching for a while. From scanning the job adverts, it seems to me that the most urgent need is for kinder teachers, both in Thailand and in other Asian countries.

At 57 years old next month, I think I'd scare the kinder kids (and maybe their parents!). But I have had a lot of interest from schools in China for kinder employment, (which is probably a sign of their desperation, not my youthful appearance).

If you want a well-paid, teaching job, with free condo, flights etc, go to China. I have been offered many jobs at all teaching ages.

I have a final Skype interview today for a primary teaching job in Myanmar, which I'll probably accept if it goes OK. (I taught in Myanmar in 2012/13 and really enjoyed 'the challenge' of living in a slum...).

I have been offered teaching positions here in Thailand, but the salaries are low, and the overall employment package simply cannot compare with neighbouring countries, (unless you are employed by a 'real' international school). I prefer not to teach in Thailand because it will screw up my Elite visa - I'll have to go and get a non-imm B etc.

Due to some structural changes, we had to hire a significant number of new staff. The reasons included an increase in the number of grades with a homeroom teacher and having those teachers be NES. There was also an increase in the number of hours of hours of actual English language being taught.

Thanks for your detailed reply. Very informative and insightful. With that and them in mind, can/should we assume this homeroom duties and increase in English weekly hours(it was reduced from four to two a few years ago) has changed nationwide via a directive from the M.of Ed. who does in fact dictate such things to their schools?

Thank you.

One of the biggest problems is that the NES's do not have accredited degree's, so they are not able to get a teacher waiver or work permit this day and age.

I have my doubts about the TCT being equipped, staffed, and with insight ingrained in their heads to distinguish one from the other. With that said, I still assume all these "agencies" don't give a hoot about anything degree wise. It's all about making the deal where they make money with their influence and grit. All to typical sales, make the "sale" and don't worry about the residual effect or impact or follow up customer service wise. Not just Thailand and not just schools. It's just sales.

Can't imagine a big line-up for a job that pays 900USD per month.

You'd be surprised...while when you pay peanuts, you get only monkeys, some do prefer an active lifestyle with a casual "job", staying on their feet, giving back to the community, having legal status(VISA and Work Permit), and basically earning respect. It's also very casual as long as you don't succumb to the piled on duties such as "gate", "homeroom", "lesson plans", "don't leave early", "sign in before 8AM", "sick note if out more than two days", "teach bell to bell"(regardless of the fact no time exists between the bell and your next class might be across campus), etc.. Just laugh those things off and remember it's $900.usd a month for 20 hours of actual work. What you do on your breaks is up to you. Take up reading novels or take a nap. Cheers mate. (don't start drinking at school(or smoking dope))

We need 3 teachers. The needed qualifications have increased and so have the teaching hours, but the salary has decreased. I don't know why we can't fill the positions.

While your sarcasm is duly noted, I actually got a follow up sms last night saying "did you find a teacher" "for us".... This particular school starts classes next Monday, May 16th..

I, as indicated, think there is a shortage of "qualified" NES's and as I've posted over the last few months(or is it years?), these positions will be filled by Filipino's who are here in Thailand, staying six or eight strong in Thai rooms(without AC or hot water sharing squat toilets) around the country just waiting to catch a bus and stay in on campus housing (sight unseen) and teach. Decent people for the most part of course, just don't speak English much better than a young Thai teacher so "what's the point?".

I think that there is a shortage of qualified NES teachers (Bachelor degree in any subject) for areas outside of the "hotspots" soto speak.

I advertised a job at my school in the Isaan countryside recently, with a decent salary (35k + school house, when I think Chiang Mai pays about 25k right?) on a couple of teaching fb groups + Thaivisa, I only had 2x NES apply, one of which hasn't gotten back to me once I clarified that our immigration office are sticklers for the rules, and so wouldn't give him an extension of stay without a degree. The ajarn ad doesn't go live until tomorrow, although I think we'll probably take the guy we've got anyway (Just waiting on my boss to confirm).

Previously when I advertised on ajarn I got about 150-200 CVs sent through to me in the first 12h of the ad going live, after which I cancelled the ad. Of them I think only 6 were NES (Despite the ad saying NES or non-NES if they have the equivalent of IELTS 8.0+, only one of the non-NES came even close, I'm guessing because the others didn't actually read the application).

Of the NES ones I had phone interviews with, I was pretty sure one had a fake degree, 2-3 weren't confident to teach either maths or science (Specifically requested on the advertisement) and of the 2 who were able to teach maths, 1 failed to turn up to the final interview at the school (apparently car trouble) and the other accepted the job but then accepted another job as well without telling us (We only found out when I called him to see if he needed assistance moving his stuff to our town, since he only had a motorbike & no truck/car).

I think that coming out to teach in an Isaan countryside town, away from the bright lights of the cities, simply discouraged them from applying, as if you've got a degree, it's so easy to find positions in the cities instead.

So yeah, I think that there is a shortage of qualified NES teachers, if there was an over supply of teachers, then they'd be more interested in coming to the countryside.

Edited by SlyAnimal

It was always going to happen. The salaries haven't increased with any significance. I've always said that at a TEFL level a degree in any field other than education or English literature etc, doesn't qualify you to teach. A CELTA, a government/ministry of education written test and demo class (think of all the money they could make charging for the tests) would be enough at a TEFL level. Why aren't the government doing this?

I knew a German guy with a degree in engineering. His English was very good but he didn't have the first clue about how to teach. He got the job based on the fact he's got an engineering degree.

Now we have teachers doing masters and PGCEi so they can earn 50-60k? It's going to be the same vicious cycle.

I understand Thailand wants qualified teachers. That's great. But you can't pay them a pittance and offer no perks like pensions etc. You'll always get good teachers, but you're going to end up getting more bad ones.

If you're serious about education, invest the cash. Not only in the foreign teachers, but also the Thai ones too. It's an investment that will pay back tenfold. This is if you are in fact serious about education though.

I agree with rkidlad, the salaries haven't risen. I first taught in Thailand in 2005 and the salary for an entry level teaching job has remained the same at around 35,000baht yet the cost of living has risen exponentially. It mirrors the situation in the rest of the world where wages have stagnated, the cost of living has risen and there has been 'academic inflation' where people need more qualifications for jobs that previously didn't require them.
I don't believe NES are harder to find in Thailand now, I just think the required qualifications have risen and visa requirements have stiffened so there seems to be a smaller available pool.

Oh, goodness, we don't start looking at the age factor until well into the 60's and we have hired people in their 70's. In my experience, it's not the age, but how old you look that makes a difference.

Looks like you don't like British people too much Scott. Are they stupid? Or are Americans better?

Less than half have degrees from the UK.

Less than half have degrees from the UK.

Rant over , but some Brits are good teaches

a government/ministry of education written test and demo class (think of all the money they could make charging for the tests) would be enough at a TEFL level. Why aren't the government doing this?

The M. of Ed. did in fact try on written tests for those without a degree in Education, a few years ago. It only lasted about two years. Farangs failed at an "alarming" rate of something like 98 percent. The exam was written by Thai's, translated I guess using either google or in the remarkable Thai way(from Thai to English) and most if not all test takers not only felt scammed, but complained they couldn't understand most of if not all of the questions. It was in four or five parts, 1000.Baht per part, over an entire day or it may have been two days(weekends, non AC room someplace inconvenient in Bangkok). If you did pay the money you could at the time, show that as an effort to "improve" and get qualified and thus, get another TCT waiver. Prior to this, the "Culture Course" was also offered with at least some frequency and said "Culture Course" was required irregardless of your educational and experience background, for a "Teachers License". These were instituted prior to the coup and may have been different people at the "top" of the Teachers Council.

Fact remains, outside the real "International" schools where students pay big money, campuses are nice, and teachers are hired at western wages with western qualifications to teach, you are in a crap shoot and must just enjoy life in the as I call it, trenches. You are not establishing a career nor gaining experience at anything other than life and survival in the third world.

a government/ministry of education written test and demo class (think of all the money they could make charging for the tests) would be enough at a TEFL level. Why aren't the government doing this?

The M. of Ed. did in fact try on written tests for those without a degree in Education, a few years ago. It only lasted about two years. Farangs failed at an "alarming" rate of something like 98 percent. The exam was written by Thai's, translated I guess using either google or in the remarkable Thai way(from Thai to English) and most if not all test takers not only felt scammed, but complained they couldn't understand most of if not all of the questions. It was in four or five parts, 1000.Baht per part, over an entire day or it may have been two days(weekends, non AC room someplace inconvenient in Bangkok). If you did pay the money you could at the time, show that as an effort to "improve" and get qualified and thus, get another TCT waiver. Prior to this, the "Culture Course" was also offered with at least some frequency and said "Culture Course" was required irregardless of your educational and experience background, for a "Teachers License". These were instituted prior to the coup and may have been different people at the "top" of the Teachers Council.

Fact remains, outside the real "International" schools where students pay big money, campuses are nice, and teachers are hired at western wages with western qualifications to teach, you are in a crap shoot and must just enjoy life in the as I call it, trenches. You are not establishing a career nor gaining experience at anything other than life and survival in the third world.

So only Western caucasians failed, everyone else passed?

Thai teachers sat 9x exams, which were in Thai. The 9x subjects which they were examined on, were condensed into 4x exams in English. My wife and I compared some of the questions we remembered from one of the tests, and there were some that were essentially the same, but they'd translated them from Thai into English (Although some of the words hadn't translated well, which meant that sometimes either a question or an answer didn't make sense or were too close in meaning to other answers to realistically choose between them).

I passed 2/4, and was only 1 mark off passing a 3rd, the 4th one I failed miserably on though (I read later that apparently that year no one passed the one that I failed miserably on). That was the last year they used the tests.

The English improved significantly though between the 1st and 2nd attempt I had at the exams (I tried 1 or 2 exams previously, I can't remember, but failed both), with only the 1x exam that I failed badly still having terrible English.

But the fact that I was able to pass 2, and almost a 3rd, with hardly any study (It was difficult to even find any study material) simply showed how ineffective the multichoice examinations were, as I would definitely have not even come close to obtaining a western teaching certification with my knowledge. Multiple choice tests usually allow you to remove some answers that are definitely wrong though, even with only a limited knowledge of the subject matter, leaving you with a good chance of making an accurate educated guess on the answer.

Why not.

Many Americans are only earning minimum wage of $7.25 per hour or $1160.00 per month and many more aren't even working and making a big fat $0.

Thai teachers sat 9x exams, which were in Thai. The 9x subjects which they were examined on, were condensed into 4x exams in English. My wife and I compared some of the questions we remembered from one of the tests, and there were some that were essentially the same, but they'd translated them from Thai into English (Although some of the words hadn't translated well, which meant that sometimes either a question or an answer didn't make sense or were too close in meaning to other answers to realistically choose between them).

I passed 2/4, and was only 1 mark off passing a 3rd, the 4th one I failed miserably on though (I read later that apparently that year no one passed the one that I failed miserably on). That was the last year they used the tests.

The English improved significantly though between the 1st and 2nd attempt I had at the exams (I tried 1 or 2 exams previously, I can't remember, but failed both), with only the 1x exam that I failed badly still having terrible English.

But the fact that I was able to pass 2, and almost a 3rd, with hardly any study (It was difficult to even find any study material) simply showed how ineffective the multichoice examinations were, as I would definitely have not even come close to obtaining a western teaching certification with my knowledge. Multiple choice tests usually allow you to remove some answers that are definitely wrong though, even with only a limited knowledge of the subject matter, leaving you with a good chance of making an accurate educated guess on the answer.

I was lucky and passed 4/4 after many attempts.

My teacher license is due for renewal.

The tests required a teacher to have a degree and were based on tesst students studying education in a Thai university would have to do. Many questions were Thai centric and badly translated badly.

Looks like you don't like British people too much Scott. Are they stupid? Or are Americans better?

You're not helping convince people of your intelligence when your quote does not match your post.

Thai school officials will pay lip service to desiring NES teachers, but when the rubber hits the road, money and working conditions talk, all else walks. Decent teachers head for private work or leave for venues in other countries that pay a decent salary.

Between the low pay, lousy working conditions, and total lack of respect for qualified NES instructors -- why bother! Most individuals that I've taught with have either gone back to Uni to obtain teaching credential in order to teach at International schools, teach at higher paying private schools, or have left for Japan or S. Korea or similar venues. Imho, those who remain to teach grossly oversized classes for chump change are essentially glorified baby-sitters. The job may be OK if you're looking for a first-time teaching job to gain experience, but the schools get what they pay for. Sure there are exceptions, there alway are, but overall my impression of The Land of Smiles is that most public schools are low quality, especially rural schools, and they scrap the bottom of the barrel to obtain the resources that they need to fill their quota of teachers. If they changed their attitudes toward top-notch qualified instructors/teachers, they might be able to obtain resources whom chose to teach for the love of teaching. But combine low wages, oversized classes, and stifling status consciousness at the management/administrative level of the schools -- it ain't worth it.

Edited by connda

Why not.

Many Americans are only earning minimum wage of $7.25 per hour or $1160.00 per month and many more aren't even working and making a big fat $0.

Yes, but then they earn a degree, or learn a skill and make good money. I don't know anyone with something to offer an employer that isn't making at least double that.

Edited by LPCustom69

After my past positions I'm being very selective. Weeks ago, I'd had interest from two top Bangkok public schools, but as soon as they learned I wanted real money, the door was closed. Not even negotiation. For me, this seems to be common. No give or take. Take it or leave it. I left my last school largely for this reason. I was top paid teacher (others grossly over paid), they would not come up to 40k nor even 39,250. They Thai HoD thoroughly insulted me in the process and we were done. He told me, 'don't waste my time'. A year of honest, hard work.

I now only apply for positions at serious schools for serious money. That has reduced my number of apps filed. Only until this last week, I have considered agencies and the position must be for a top school. I've had a nice bite this week, an interview (!!!) but largely my CV evaporates in the ether. A week ago had a bit of action from St John's, DOA. Too bad, even at 35k it was close and test prep.

Christian schools (not Catholic) schools seem to really be not at all interested in me. Specifically, TCS. I can only put it down to age and fierce competition from those with more than 3+ years experience at good public schools. Had a nibble at BCIS but when they learned Jesus Christ is not my personal lord and savior, we were done. I think I recall something similar at Grace.

In January, I had all sorts of bites from serious schools shortlisting me (lol), nothing much came from any of it. One demo, it was for a private primary, very well known. I did well, but someone beat me out. Resume on file. So perhaps you are thinking, what the hell, this guy is getting lots of action. I've now way to gauge. My first job was with an agency. I interviewed and days later offered four jobs. Following year I returned from US in May, shot off my resume to the first govt school with reasonable transportation access and was hired on the spot. So that's my experience. In January, the response rate to my CV was over 50%, from very good public and a few private schools.

My hunch is that my CV is overlooked, awash in the sea of mediocrity. Maybe my cover letter too long for the hiring season? I've worked hard on my resume, its three pages but the relevant stuff is up front, the rest can be disregarded. Lately, for chuckles I've trolled a few Craig's agencies and I'm bombarded with crappy jobs well beneath me. I also am now well aware of the 'teachers' these jobs attract and want no part of them.

It does seem to be crunch time for the agencies. But salary is paramount. They keep posting the same bad packages. The definition of insanity... Crunch time for a few better schools at thus very moment maybe. Who knows, teachers did not show, work out, Thailand never takes anything seriously?? I love the ads: URGENTLY NEEDED and then follows the same atrocious package as had been posted weeks and months before.

I'm being very, very selective thus time around. I need a solid school with a professional foreign teaching staff. Not too much to ask they have a proper degree behind them as well. I'm shocked dome of these teachers not only remain in their jobs daily, but are rehired.

Sadly, what I've come to learn is that the salary cap is the most important consideration in the hiring process. You can be a provably better teacher or have a degree from an ivy league school, no matter. In fact Thai's AND foreign HoD ate largely clueless as to school prestige and ranking. But, salary trumps all.As an aside, In think agencies are flooded with resumes from drifters. On a final note. I can tell you that all the very top public schools in Bangkok pay poor wages. On balance you are looking at 35k max for these schools.I had one offer 37.5 but the hours and responsibilities were utterly ridiculous. 11 no contract and no pay for October.

Apologies as I've taken this in many directions. But to end this, I'm a very hardworking, responsible person who puts in the hours and plays the game. I've yet to find fair wages for fair work. I'm 55 but could pass for late 40's. Handsum, relatively fit and mix with students well. I even have a glowing reference from the Asst Director at my last school. Still waiting. Your input in regard to my situation is appreciated. Could my cover be too long and daunting? Too many attachments (all very relevant)? I include some great, professional photos, too much? Trouble is it gets action from good schools, and it doesn't.

Edited by 1phish2phish

After my past positions I'm being very selective. Weeks ago, I'd had interest from two top Bangkok public schools, but as soon as they learned I wanted real money, the door was closed. Not even negotiation. For me, this seems to be common. No give or take. Take it or leave it. I left my last school largely for this reason. I was top paid teacher (others grossly over paid), they would not come up to 40k nor even 39,250. They Thai HoD thoroughly insulted me in the process and we were done.

Don't waste my time

I now only apply for positions at serious schools for serious money. That has reduced my number of apps filed. Only until this last week, I have considered agencies and the position must be for a top school. I've had a nice bite this week, an interview (!!!) but largely my CV evaporates in the ether. A week ago had a bit of action from St John's, DOA. Too bad, even at 35k it was close and test prep.

Christian schools (not Catholic) schools seem to really be not at all interested in me. Specifically, TCS. I can only put it down to age and fierce competition from those with more than 3+ years experience at good public schools. Had a nibble at BCIS but when they learned Jesus Christ is not my personal lord and savior, we were done. I think I recall something similar at Grace.

In January, I had all sorts of bites from serious schools shortlisting me (lol), nothing much came from any of it. One demo, it was for a private primary, very well known. I did well, but someone beat me out. Resume on file. So perhaps you are thinking, what the hell, this guy is getting lots of action. I've now way to gauge. My first job was with an agency. I interviewed and days later offered four jobs. Following year I returned from US in May, shot off my resume to the first govt school with reasonable transportation access and was hired on the spot. So that's my experience. In January, the response rate to my CV was over 50%, from very good public and a few private schools.

My hunch is that my CV is overlooked, awash in the sea of mediocrity. Maybe my cover letter too long for the hiring season? I've worked hard on my resume, its three pages but the relevant stuff is up front, the rest can be disregarded. Lately, for chuckles I've trolled a few Craig's agencies and I'm bombarded with crappy jobs well beneath me. I also am now well aware of the 'teachers' these jobs attract and want no part of them.

It does seem to be crunch time for the agencies. But salary is paramount. They keep posting the same bad packages. The definition of insanity... Crunch time for a few better schools at thus very moment maybe. Who knows, teachers did not show, work out, Thailand never takes anything seriously?? I love the ads: URGENTLY NEEDED and then follows the same atrocious package as had been posted weeks and months before.

I'm being very, very selective thus time around. I need a solid school with a professional foreign teaching staff. Not too much to ask they have a proper degree behind them as well. I'm shocked dome of these teachers not only remain in their jobs daily, but are rehired.

Sadly, what I've come to learn is that the salary cap is the most important consideration in the hiring process. You can be a provably better teacher or have a degree from an ivy league school, no matter. In fact Thai's AND foreign HoD ate largely clueless as to school prestige and ranking. But, salary trumps all.As an aside, In think agencies are flooded with resumes from drifters. On a final note. I can tell you that all the very top public schools in Bangkok pay poor wages. On balance you are looking at 35k max for these schools.I had one offer 37.5 but the hours and responsibilities were utterly ridiculous. 11 no contract and no pay for October.

Apologies as I've taken this in many directions. But to end this, I'm a very hardworking, responsible person who puts in the hours and plays the game. I've yet to find fair wages for fair work. I'm 55 but could pass for late 40's. Handsum, relatively fit and mix with students well. I even have a glowing reference from the Asst Director at my last school. Still waiting. Your input in regard to my situation is appreciated. Could my cover be too long and daunting? Too many attachments (all very relevant)? I include some great, professional photos, too much? Trouble is it gets action from good schools, and it doesn't.

Frankly, this post is to long and my old English teacher would have failed me if I wrote anything like the above.