International community has better understanding about draft charter, says CDC

webfact

Even it the international community understands the draft charter more, it does not mean it approves of it. The statement does not mention what the international community's assessment of the charter is. That could go either way.

Lots of wishful thinking about sanctions in threads these days.

I highly doubt there will be any sanctions even talked about any time soon unless the junta are seen to be openly spilling blood.

As long as they stick to disappearing people to abuse their citizens instead of doing it openly, nothing much will change. For something to happen it will take the Thai people to act.

I don't think the scenario referred to in your second paragraph will ever unfold.Once that happens the Junta knows it will be all over for them, and that their fate will be a terrible one.

It's about time serious International sanctions were applied to remove any doubt about how the world sees Thailand's "Government".

As it ever occurred to you why other countries haven't applied sanctions, carry on developing business and trade, education and research links, and regularly send and accept representatives from government, business, trade, academia etc?

Maybe they all see things differently than you.

Because Sanctions rarely effect the people at the top, it's always the people less fortunate who feel the brunt of any form of sanctions.

Sanctions would never be imposed by the likes of the UN as the Russians and Chinese with vested interests in the country would veto.

Freezing of assets, following through on threats to ban fish products, or to push the likes of the ICOA to have Thai Airlines meet deadlines and stop allowing these "fixes: to be extended, which there must be due a review soon, ? the grounding of many aircraft would certainly have an impact on the powers that be, no more big juicy bonus for those Junta personnel sitting on the boards of SOE's whilst still being paid for their military roles.

At the end of the day, business is business, whilst the Junta are not exactly shrewd economists, pretty sure those countries dealing with Thailand are looking beyond the Junta, you might see a chance if the next promised election gets pushed aside, but in the same breath many business's and it's expertise have also left Thailand and moved elsewhere, so yes, everyone sees business different from everyone else.

'Better understanding' does not equal agreement.

A sensible comment at last.

Whilst they may not agree, none are really imposing sanctions, or doing much about it. In fact most significant nations are continuing developing trade, cultural and academic relations, some more than others, but actively.

I doubt the international community has gone through the draft charter with a magnifying glass; or even asked really detailed questions. The Embassies will have done the usual reporting back home.

But, amazing as it may be to some TV posters Thailand isn't the focus of attention for the international community, nor is it high on their agenda given everything else going on in the world. More interest in Leicester City winning the EPL, Trump and Clinton slagging one another off, Putin sabre rattling, the NK nutters having a mad hatters tea party, and now the loony Turnbull calling an election in the land of make believe. Probably more worried about a nut job who wants to use death squads and extra judicial executions as policy becoming the Philippine president than some referendum in Thailand.

Agree with your perspective.

UN sanctions are generally applied for genocide, nuclear arms development, and similar major transgressions.

Possible that some limited sanctions could be applied by US or EU regarding fishery or aviation industries, but I think it unlikely.

I'm guessing most influential countries are taking a wait and see approach to Thailand.

But I am also guessing countries like UK and US have already analyzed the Charter and the overall situation in depth, and have mapped out diplomatic strategies. I'm sure there are some events that would trigger a change in stance. Let's hope the Junta doesn't do anything gravely stupid.

Edited by phoenixdoglover