Malaysians face death in Thailand over drugs

webfact

Malaysians face death in Thailand over drugs
Bernama

BANGKOK: Twenty-one Malaysians arrested in Thailand recently on suspicion of being “drug mules” could face the death penalty upon conviction under the country’s Narcotics Act for possession and sale of Category 1 Substances.

According to a Thai police officer, investigations are under progress and between 60% and 70% completed.

“The suspects can face the death penalty following the large seizure of methamphetamine (‘ice’) and heroin. The police have obtained strong evidence against them.

“However, despite the possibility of facing the maximum sentence under the stipulated charge, Thai courts seldom hand down the death penalty and prefer the long-term jail sentence, instead,” he said by phone yesterday.

Full story: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/05/09/msians-face-death-in-thailand-over-drugs/

-- THE STAR ONLINE 2016-05-09

There seems to be a bit of inequality here. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with giving the death penalty to these people but how come when Thai's are caught they don't get the death penalty. This is a reason people complain about the bias towards Thai's when it comes to crimes. Justice has to be a level platform i.e. if drugs command the death penalty then Thai's caught should also be given the death penalty

Meanwhile, captured Thai drug kingpins (read, the guys with all the money) are allowed to escape while surrounded by law enforcement officers! ! ! thumbsup.gifcheesy.gif

Of course. “...drug mules...”

They aren't called "mules" because of the high level of intelligence. The kingpins will always find some rube to perform the dangerous and low paying jobs.

Edited by jaltsc

In Malaysia they wasted quite a few Thai ladies caught with bags full of ganja,there is that famous bus station near Butterworth - transit point from

Thai border,which is notorious.Also there were other Thai ladies coming from South America with clothes soaked in youknowwhat;they had met the same fate - gallows.Thai Courts and their judges should reciprocate.

There have been 2 executions in Thailand in the past 12 years. There have been at least a dozen in Malaysia in the same period. These Malay drug mules are safer in Thailand than they would be in their own country!

Having said that, I don't think anyone should be executed, simply because most justice systems are flawed.

Just a few weeks ago, the United Nations General Assembly convened a special session on the world drug problem from 19 to 21 April 2016 ("UNGASS 2016") at the U.N. Headquarters in New York.

Drug policy reformers were hoping that a recommendation would be made to abolish the death penalty for drug trafficking offenses, and many countries were in support of abolishment, but no such change came about.

Countries clash over death penalty at UN drug policy session

The Death Penalty: A Major Disappointment at UNGASS

Decriminalize all drugs, business and world leaders tell UN. A quote:

a representative of Indonesia was booed when he called capital punishment “an important component” of drug policy

Just a few weeks ago, the United Nations General Assembly convened a special session on the world drug problem from 19 to 21 April 2016 ("UNGASS 2016") at the U.N. Headquarters in New York.

Drug policy reformers were hoping that a recommendation would be made to abolish the death penalty for drug trafficking offenses, and many countries were in support of abolishment, but no such change came about.

a representative of Indonesia was booed when he called capital punishment “an important component” of drug policy

The UNGA is always trying to get lower sentences and change the drug laws in countries that have a hugh problem of drugs related crimes that most of the UNGA countries can not comprehend. Individual countries have problems and need to deal with it in their own way.Hey how about the UNGA paying for all the cost of the years in jail for these people with life sentences instead of the gallows?

There seems to be a bit of inequality here. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with giving the death penalty to these people but how come when Thai's are caught they don't get the death penalty. This is a reason people complain about the bias towards Thai's when it comes to crimes. Justice has to be a level platform i.e. if drugs command the death penalty then Thai's caught should also be given the death penalty

yes, there certainly is inequality. The Thais have never executed a farang either. God knows there has been plenty of them too.

More and more countries are dropping the Death Penalty. The Philippines dropped it only very recently. The is a lot of pressure from various organisations and countries. So it is a touchy subject for the Thais. Unlike the Indons, Singaporeans, and Malays who turn it into a public media spectacle, the Thais hate any publicity when it comes to executions.

Don't know whether this book is still banned, but it was when it was published. It was a big pinch in the Kingdom if you got caught with a copy. The whole story goes back to the Late 70s and 80s.

Whilst it must be taken with a gain of salt mind you, considering who wrote it. Well known, long term BBK resident and journo Alan Dawson to whom I gave a copy back in the Grand Prix Bar days, reckons it is the greatest load of crap he ever read! And they should have shot him. Dawson was a mate of Major 'Mad Dog' Viraj who arrested them all. It is the forerunner of what became a plethora of books of this genre and worth a read if you can get your hands on a copy.

Don't strictly believe the back cover. Australian, Bill Sinclair (Owner of Texan Bar, Patpong) actually made 'bail' - I million Baht, he is still I believe the only person ever to be bailed on a serious heroin trafficking charge in Thailand. So what did Bill do? What do you think he did. He legged it. You can work it out.

A case close to my heart, I know or knew of people from all sides, named in the book.

post-84506-0-51384900-1462796394_thumb.j

post-84506-0-12970000-1462796395_thumb.j

Edited by cpofc

According to a Thai police officer, investigations are under progress and between 60% and 70% completed.

Very clever ...

How do they know that until the investigations are complete?

Unless the "end" has been pre-determined

These buckets of puke have no regard for the lives of their victims so Hang them and be sure,

they'll never push drugs to your kids or anyone else.

These buckets of puke have no regard for the lives of their victims so Hang them and be sure,

Do you think these people who are facing death actually "push" cannabis to kids?

Most users of recreational substances choose to consume them of their own free will and are not "pushed", except by peers in a group, like being the odd non-ethanol drinker when socializing with friends.

Thailand has an effective moratorium on the death penalty and has had so since 2009. Abolition is touted in the 2014-2019 legal timeline but may have to wait until Thailand has a proper government. It's a question raised by several other countries in the UN Human Rights review of Thailand, broadcast live tomorrow. Singapore and Malaysia both have it on the books but in both countries it's increasingly sparingly used, with Singapore recently removing mandatory death sentences for drugs.

Edited by Snig27

Do you think these people who are facing death actually "push" cannabis to kids?

Most users of recreational substances choose to consume them of their own free will and are not "pushed", except by peers in a group, like being the odd non-ethanol drinker when socializing with friends.

same old, same old. The Drug War zealots love to use the the 'pushing drugs to kids' thing. It's an overrated scare tactic. But it seems to work for those who can't see the forest for the trees. Harry Anslinger would be stoked if he knew they were still trotting out that old chestnut.

No-one has to 'push' drugs to kids, the dealers are flat out keeping up with the demand now, from those of 'Legal Age'. Drugs are all about Demand and Supply. And that demand has not diminished since the 'war' started, in fact it is increasing all the time. The entire war on drugs is an 'industry' in itself. It employs hundreds of thousands worldwide using obscene budgets and resources. Not to mention the Privatisation of jails in the USA.

No other 'War' in modern history has lasted this long! Not only without result, but losing ground. Whilst Death Penalties achieve nothing in stopping the trade in illegal narcotics.

Prohibition has failed miserably, as one famous American Writer said about prohibition - If you wanted to get your kids to clean their teeth without having to make them, you would just ban toothpaste.

Before you get stuck into me, I admit, I don't know what the final answer is. But I do know they lost the 'Drug War' many, many years ago. Now, it is time they did away with the Anslinger style scare tactics and rhetoric and sought a different approach.

yes, there certainly is inequality. The Thais have never executed a farang either. God knows there has been plenty of them too.

More and more countries are dropping the Death Penalty. The Philippines dropped it only very recently. The is a lot of pressure from various organisations and countries. So it is a touchy subject for the Thais. Unlike the Indons, Singaporeans, and Malays who turn it into a public media spectacle, the Thais hate any publicity when it comes to executions.

Don't know whether this book is still banned, but it was when it was published. It was a big pinch in the Kingdom if you got caught with a copy. The whole story goes back to the Late 70s and 80s.

Whilst it must be taken with a gain of salt mind you, considering who wrote it. Well known, long term BBK resident and journo Alan Dawson to whom I gave a copy back in the Grand Prix Bar days, reckons it is the greatest load of crap he ever read! And they should have shot him. Dawson was a mate of Major 'Mad Dog' Viraj who arrested them all. It is the forerunner of what became a plethora of books of this genre and worth a read if you can get your hands on a copy.

Don't strictly believe the back cover. Australian, Bill Sinclair (Owner of Texan Bar, Patpong) actually made 'bail' - I million Baht, he is still I believe the only person ever to be bailed on a serious heroin trafficking charge in Thailand. So what did Bill do? What do you think he did. He legged it. You can work it out.

A case close to my heart, I know or knew of people from all sides, named in the book.

attachicon.gifkingdomofillusions1.jpg

attachicon.gifkingdomofillusions2.jpg

Must see if I can find a copy. Must be some around if not in Thailand elsewhere

attachicon.gifkingdomofillusions1.jpg

attachicon.gifkingdomofillusions2.jpg

Must see if I can find a copy. Must be some around if not in Thailand elsewhere

Not easy to get, it was definitely not a Pulitzer Prize winner and was localised to Australia. You can do a search on the net about Sinclair (often known as The Old Man), there are one or two newspaper archives kicking around about him and his 'alleged' gang.

I had met Sinclair in Manila. He visited now and again and an Ermita Bar Owner mate of mine was a familiar acquaintance of his. (I'll say no more on that) There was no extradition between the PI and Australia in those days and by the late 70's half the criminal underworld of Australia were up there. My girlfriend and her mates reckoned Sinclair was a lovely bloke we were in Manila when the three of them got busted in BKK. Sinclair, Fellows and Hayward. It was the talk of the town and my girlfriend and her mates were devastated at the news. Bill had a lot of money and didn't mind throwing it about when he shouted them all out for feeds etc.

After Sinclair had absconded from the Kingdom, I asked Alan Dawson if he was aware that Sinclair had written a book! Dawson went off his tree and launched a scathing attack on Sinclair. He was pretty well plugged into what went on in the LOS. His contempt for Sinclair was absolute! A very interesting bloke to talk to over a few beers. So I told him I would get him a copy. Some months later I walked into the grand Prix Bar with a brown paper bag in my hand and there was Alan. He immediately bought me a beer and I handed over the bag containing the book. He took one look and bolted for the door. Where are you going mate, aren't you going to let me buy you a beer back. Nope. He was off, straight home to read it. Didn't even pass go or collect two hundred!

He was incensed that Sinclair had got away. Even moreso after he read the book. Years later Warren Fellows wrote a book too. 'The Damage Done' - he doesn't give Sinclair up though and stays staunch to the 'Old Man', Paul Hayward, a Newtown Rugby League Star when he was busted in BKK, returned to Australia on a Kings Pardon to see his daughter for the first time in his life (born when he was in Bang Kwang) before he died of AIDs, hepatitus etc. They had a send off for him at the Drummoyne Rowing Club in Sydney, which a few of my mates attended.

If you live anywhere near me in BKK I would give you a lend - Under the pain of death of course, should you not return it. It is an interesting read.