Phrea Vihear temple replica opening put on hold

webfact

Phrea Vihear temple replica opening put on hold

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FqtRwPFnCimtfZvIqkA7HyM

BANGKOK: -- The Second Army Region has ordered the closure of the miniature version of the Phrea Vihear temple built at Khao Mor E-Daeng cliff in Kantharalak district of Sisaket province as concern that the opening could jeopardize good relation with its neighbour Cambodia remains unresolved.

The closure to public sparked dissatisfaction from local people who viewed differently that the opening of the 1:10 scale of the original Hindhu Phrea Vihear ancient temple could boost tourism and enable local people to make earnings.

The Phrea Vihear replica was built by the military at the cost of five million baht on Mor E- Daeng cliff, about 700 metres from the north of Cambodia’s Phrea Vihear temple.

After five months of construction, the replica temple is now ready for visitors.

However as the opening could sour the good relation with Cambodia, the Second Army ordered the closure pending talks with Cambodia.

At present there are both pros and cons of the temple replica.

Khao Phra Viharn national park chief Mr Saksit Polsapsiri said the construction of the temple replica was part of the master plan to develop the national park.

He expressed regret if the opening was put on hold.

A local administration organisation leader Chokechai Saikaeo said local people wanted to see the temple replica open because now they have no opportunity to visit the original temple due to the border dispute.

The opening will boost tourism to the area again, he said.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-09

To be honest, I started laughing my are'<> off when I read the head line. Why not visiting the real one?

If people are interested, I've got quite a lot photos of the "real thing", not some replica bs.

What's pretty much shocking is that they let foreigners in from the Cambodian side, but if you wanna go there with your Thai spouse/ family, they are not wanted. But they offer foreign men kids tio have some extraordinary fun !!!!)

They can stick their? temple up where the son doesn't shine.

P.S. Almost forgot to mention that an American/Thai couple with kids were seeking a safe place to sleep without the sound of mortars and grenades nearby a few years ago. Scared to deat6h having little kids.....

They stayed at our house in Sisaket for a while because the useless shootings between Thai and Khmer Army and nobody felt safe in Kantharalk area close to the border.

The biggest joke was that they finally destroyed parts of the ancient temple when they're trying to kill each other.

Stupid bastards now rule a country.

Send via mai mee grammar check with an hangover application for fired androids.

post-158336-0-91879400-1462798157_thumb.

post-158336-0-33446700-1462799273_thumb.

post-158336-0-49305100-1462799297_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

ahhh once more it is the lack of causative reasoning and analysis that just has me sitting back and saying "Ohh Thailand, when are you going to grow up".... these reactionary positions adopted by Thai's in management whether military of civilian never seem to go well. Decisions borne of the strategy "ready , fire ,aim" never seem to really accomplish what they desire.

I cannot imagine this little ugly thing attracting many tourists to start with.

Its like putting a 1:10 Eiffel tower in Paris; why travel thousands of km to get there only to not see the real thing but settle for a fake miniature?

This thing is something you put at the entrance of the real temple with an arrow saying "you are here". Worth a quick look so you know what you get into, not worth any effort to even take a picture of.

According to pre-opening, glowing reports in the press this model was constructed by the Royal Thai Army, with military craftsmen from the 23rd Ranger Regiment and the Suranari Task Force, at a cost of 5 million baht, over five months.

The effort was led by Col Thanasak Mitraphanont, commander of the 6th Infantry Regiment, who was a valued member of the Junta and in the NRSA (National Reform Steering Assembly), and the NRC before that.

He "donated" his 3 million baht NRSA/NRC "salary", and "found" another 2 million in donations to cover the construction costs.

Col Thanasak has been abruptly transferred to an inactive post.

Sources at the Suranari Task Force revealed yesterday that Maj Gen Sonthaya Srijaroen, Commanding General of the 6th Infantry Division, signed a special order on Wednesday to transfer Col Thanasak.
Reminds me of the "Stonehenge" skit in "Spinal Tap".