Isaan farang burger 'King' and his charming 'Prince' go viral!

webfact

Isaan farang burger 'King' and his charming 'Prince' go viral!

if.jpg
Image: Sanook News

UDON THANI:-- A picture of a foreign man and his son selling burgers went viral on Facebook yesterday. The picture shows a western man with his son and a cart filled with burgers for sale.

The advertising on the front mentions "The Vegan Runners Café" with a picture of Bugs Bunny eating a carrot saying: "What's up (doc)?" in Thai.

The original post suggested that the man's wife is an Udon native and praised the pair for their charming character and hard working spirit and asked people to go and support them in their endeavours. It further suggested that they were not very well off, reports Sanook News.

More than 100,000 people had viewed the picture and it had been shared over 36,000 times by yesterday.

Thai reporters mentioned hamburgers but the word vegan in the advertising seemed to suggest that the offerings may be veggie burgers.

Source: Sanook News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-10

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A picture of a foreign man and his son selling burgers went viral on Facebook yesterday. "

If he's successful, expect 20 Vegan Runners Cafes, operated by Thais and using an exact copy of the sign, to open up right next to him.

Edited by jaltsc

It seems that in Thailand, you can do small business if you don't care about the unclear rules. Just do it seems to be the motto. I've seen several of these stories. There was a guy selling Pad Thai downtown I think in Yaowarat area and another guy cooking Thai food at his wife's little bamboo hut restaurant in Ayuttaya. There also was a college-age kid at the Thammasat night market selling hotdogs from a hand held barbecue . None of them invested anything much in their business or had manyThai employees. No matter what small business is done in Thailand whether its legal initially or not, the owners tend to stretch the laws(rules) or break them. It's the same for Thais as well. That's how I see it. What happened to the people in those past stories? I think Thais see these stories and think that Thailand is open like most places but it's not true.

Have you seen the story of the Thai girl who went to the US broke and within little time was able to start a restaurant business? Nice story but only for her. People who have families and live in Thailand should have the right to open small businesses too without having to be treated as outsiders.

if it's lowkey a lot is possible if you are respected in the area u're operating. BKK officials can't be bothered with some lone guy in the sticks selling let's say pancakes. there used to be (probably still is) a great noodle restaurant in satun operated by a farang and his thai wife. many local officials had lunch there, they liked the guy, they liked his noodles, everybody happy. doing the same on samui or somewhere touristy is another story of course.

Proper work permit?

There are also some jobs that foreigners cannot hold in Thailand. If I were him, I make sure all proper paperwork is in place.

Impossible to get a WP or 'paperwork' for a forbidden occupation, having a kid and 'loving Thailand' do not enter into it, what he is doing is against the law.

"A picture of a foreign man and his son selling burgers went viral on Facebook yesterday. "

If he's successful, expect 20 Vegan Runners Cafes, operated by Thais and using an exact copy of the sign, to open up right next to him.

Innovation at work.

Most of the comments here must be from folk who live in heavily policed areas, immigration or other. Out in the boons it's not a case of brown envelopes but more of who you know either at the Tessabaan or local cop shop. I know of 3 farangs doing similar stuff and all have top cover.

Hope they are licensed to sell, else all hell will break lose. Jail and after that deportation.

Yeah yeah yeah and dead penalty and torture and skinned alive ?

All you need is one jealous local person who reports it in. The foreign guy loses his little business, and locals take over the entire idea.

Most of the comments here must be from folk who live in heavily policed areas, immigration or other. Out in the boons it's not a case of brown envelopes but more of who you know either at the Tessabaan or local cop shop. I know of 3 farangs doing similar stuff and all have top cover.

Exactly. Out near where I live, a local market had a German man and his son selling hot dogs etc. for a couple of years. Recently went to a different market I'd never been to before and was surprised to see next to the entrance, a small van with a Turkish looking man doing a brisk trade selling kebabs. He sells at other locations I was told and has been around for a while. Very tasty and reasonably priced.

Exactly. Out near where I live, a local market had a German man and his son selling hot dogs etc. for a couple of years. Recently went to a different market I'd never been to before and was surprised to see next to the entrance, a small van with a Turkish looking man doing a brisk trade selling kebabs. He sells at other locations I was told and has been around for a while. Very tasty and reasonably priced.

We have a Japanese guy selling sushi and California rolls, from a cart, at a local market. Has been for years.

Hope they are licensed to sell, else all hell will break lose. Jail and after that deportation.

Yeah yeah yeah and dead penalty and torture and skinned alive ?

All you need is one jealous local person who reports it in. The foreign guy loses his little business, and locals take over the entire idea.

yet again, somewhere lowkey, if u're a respected member of town, things like that are possible. however, if u're in let's say pattaya, wearing the wifebeater, hanging out with a tattoo'd bg half your age, loud, vulgar and trashy, yeah you won't be out there too long... this guy is selling a couple of veggie burgers on the street. he might be left alone. he's not running some large business right. i wish him all the best. may he sell well!

Good luck to him,thousands like him all over the Kingdom,it's high time that people like him were afforded a little more assistance,maybe the banks could start a Farang friendly loan service for similar start up businesses.

Not to be overly critical, but...shouldn't the little prince be in school?

Or are we in yet another holiday- break?

Imagine if you will, that this photo was taken back a few days/weeks when children were not in school. My wife's nephew is about to start Pratom 1 on Thursday, so not all schools are up and running yet.

Anyway the kid is probably the boss and majority shareholder.