Isaan farang burger 'King' and his charming 'Prince' go viral!

webfact

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are not vegan at all and there are not thousands of them, this is a vegetarian festival sign only a couple of weeks a year. It's actually very difficult to find a real vegetarian restaurant anywhere

Here in Hua Hin i am afraid to do yard work in front of my house or any other type of labor around the outside of the house for fear someone will report me to immigration.

tried fixing some holes in the fence once to keep out dogs. groundskeeper got real nervous had "to be there the whole time"

what a way to live, gustapo

thais dont understand the concept of work for leisure, exercise or enjoyment the way westerners do

Edited by fey

Loathsome people are more like the ones overstaying their visas for years, working illegally, selling drugs and being involved in scams as well as all the sexual perverts. Do'nt think there are many on here like that apart from the few who have a 'friend' who overstayed,

loathsome means hateful, you might want to check the meaning of irony as well

So many people post that what the guy is doing is illegal. Who the <snip> cares. My Mrs told me his wife shot off and let him and the kind alone so what he tries to do is surviving.

WP my back. People give a shit here in Isaan if a farang has a WP or not. As long you behave, be polite and smile no envelopes really needed.

Here in Hua Hin i am afraid to do yard work in front of my house or any other type of labor around the outside of the house for fear someone will report me to immigration.

tried fixing some holes in the fence once to keep out dogs. groundskeeper got real nervous had "to be there the whole time"

thais dont understand the concept of work for leisure, exercise or enjoyment the way westerners do

How strange. I live in rural Thailand and not only do I cut the grass, about 2 rai I also do my neighbours grass, another 2 rai and no local people are bothered in the slightest. I get thumbs up and smiles and if I am early enough in the cool of the morning sometimes the local monks stop for a quick chat on their morning alms round.

I have been doing it for years and nobody is bothered about it at all.

I haven't done any fence work but I have trimmed the trees where the power cables run.

No Gestapo up here, just normal Thai people.

Proper work permit?

There are also some jobs that foreigners cannot hold in Thailand. If I were him, I make sure all proper paperwork is in place.

Good point, but why does nobody point out all the Turkish, Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Lebanese and other foreigners selling food on the streets or in restaurants, how many of these people have work permits?

There was a guy who commented on an unrelated thread about violence in Thailand, who mentioned that while he had never had any bad experiences from locals, one Turkish kebab seller in Chiang Mai threatened him. What I'd like to know is does this Turkish guy have a work permit? From my understanding, he is/has been selling kebabs alone, without any other Thai employees around. I have been to Nana where a Lebanese waiter took my order, he must not have gotten the memo that waitstaff in Thailand must either be Thai (or Burmese/Lao/Cambodian with work permit).

Protected job for Thais only, he's breaking the law and could be arrested any day now, pity.

'Protected job for Thais'?? Pretty sure 'vegan' wouldn't even register on a race who must shove pork beef chicken into every damn thing. And before anyone starts, those gin jae restaurants are Chinese owned.

They are not vegan at all and there are not thousands of them, this is a vegetarian festival sign only a couple of weeks a year. It's actually very difficult to find a real vegetarian restaurant anywhere

Sorry, but you are mistaken. I have lived here for 20 years and in many locations. Bangkok for many years - Yoda Jeh restaurants abound. Surin many years. At least two open year round, both very good. Chonburi city - Three that I know of, again open year round. Bangsaen, Chonburi - two, open year round. Sri Racha - two that I know of and have eaten in. Even in Sangkha, 45 kilometers outside Surin they have one. Two weeks ago on my way another province i stopped in a tiny town just after Ban Bung and had excellent vegan fare. Open year round.

The festival you are referring to is actually a "Jeh" festival - all the food is again vegan (no eggs, dairy, fish sauce, etc.) - and yes, temporary yoda Jeh restaraunts pop up everywhere during the festival days. But they are in almost every reasonable sized town all over the country and they are opened year round.

In the tourist areas like BKK and Chiang Mai and Kanchanaburi and etc. you can find both Yoda Jeh (vegan) restaraunts like these as well as veg restaraunts that cater more to western tatses and will use onion and garlic and such.

How strange. I live in rural Thailand and not only do I cut the grass, about 2 rai I also do my neighbours grass, another 2 rai and no local people are bothered in the slightest. I get thumbs up and smiles and if I am early enough in the cool of the morning sometimes the local monks stop for a quick chat on their morning alms round.

I haven't done any fence work but I have trimmed the trees where the power cables run.

Painted the front of the house in a proper way.. sanding first .. .. grounding.. then 1 layer.. later an other. Did many home improvents.. never a problem with immigration.

Must be a bad life if you live in fear like this. Immigration has said before foreigners can work on boats (if they don't sell them) and their own house.

Lot of barstool talk here, love to see an example of someone doing some housework on the house where they work getting in trouble. But of course it makes a great story and its great to be negative like that.. otherwise how can we put the Thais down.

Not aimed at you Billd but the others.

I agree, I am the same as you except I only do work in my own yard. Turns out some of my neighbors don't have a proper yard (only a concrete one) plus I don't really know any of them as everyone is private and minds their own business.

Nobody cares in the slightest about what anyone else does in their OWN yard - I'm not going to get into the semantics of ownership though to make it clear, my wife owns the house I live in, including the land underneath it. However, even if I were a tenant that wouldn't prevent me from maintaining the property I live in, in the same way I wash my own clothes, take a shower myself and clean my own behind after going to the toilet.

I do everything myself that is low risk and general maintenance (or share the responsibility amongst other members of my household). For anything that is higher risk, we hire people, though that's not something we need to do very often. Most of them tend to be untrained, unskilled Cambodians who perform such tasks as cutting trees and climbing up on rooftops etc. I'd much rather a Cambodian labourer risks their life falling off a rooftop than me. Air-conditioning maintenance guys and anything involving more skill means Thai people. My neighbors are very much the same - no one does anything themselves other than general garden maintenance but anything involving more work (or higher risk) means hiring someone to do the job.

Like NCC I used to be paranoid some time ago but then I thought to myself how ridiculous I was being. I'm not working, I'm just watering the garden, mowing the lawn, cutting dead branches and planting tomatoes, things like that. Or I'm washing my car (and yes, this time it's MY OWN car), topping up battery fluid, checking oil levels, tyre pressure etc. I would suggest NCC stop being so paranoid and start enjoying life.

There is a big difference between maintaining your own house and what this "farang" in Udon Thani is doing. The burger seller is actually working. He is selling food, in public. While he may not really be taking away a job from a local, keep in mind that 2/3 of all Thais work like he is doing - for themselves, without a boss. So some locals and perhaps immigration, may see it that way.

One more comment I'd like to make. Although I realize most of the comments here have asked the question whether this guy has a work permit (probably not) but my question is this (ignoring the legal aspects of what he is doing):

Why is it that whenever westerners (or Africans or anyone who doesn't look Thai) do anything "special" it always has to attract a lot of attention (even if positive) from Thais? It's almost as if they're admiring us as some kind of exotic zoo animals or like pets. "Oh look Somchai, Rover can run". I mean, I don't go around videotaping Thais working in Thai restaurants in Australia and making comments like "geng maak". Or "look at Jip, she's taking people's orders, let's post this on Facebook".

Westerners have been travelling to and living in Thailand for at least 40 years. The vast majority of Thais have had that much time to get used to us, in some way or another. Whenever I'm on the Skytrain here in Bangkok at least 5-10% of the passengers on EVERY single skytrain carriage will be westerners. It's been like that since it first opened in 1999. I also see westerners every single time I drive through Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Nakorn Ratchasima, Chiang Mai, Phuket, in fact any city in Thailand. There are even westerners living in tiny villages in nakorn nowhere.

Call me crazy but I don't get the strange reaction that Thais have towards westerners doing "unconventional" things in Thailand - after all, I've seen Indians, Bangladeshis and Middle Eastern people sell goods in Nana and my eyes don't pop out of my head upon seeing them. Of course when I say "unconventional" I'm talking about selling goods like this guy, I'm pretty sure everyone would stare if someone, whether it's a westerner or a Thai, were walking down the street naked. That's something else altogether.

It seems that in Thailand, you can do small business if you don't care about the unclear rules. Just do it seems to be the motto. I've seen several of these stories. There was a guy selling Pad Thai downtown I think in Yaowarat area and another guy cooking Thai food at his wife's little bamboo hut restaurant in Ayuttaya. There also was a college-age kid at the Thammasat night market selling hotdogs from a hand held barbecue . None of them invested anything much in their business or had manyThai employees. No matter what small business is done in Thailand whether its legal initially or not, the owners tend to stretch the laws(rules) or break them. It's the same for Thais as well. That's how I see it. What happened to the people in those past stories? I think Thais see these stories and think that Thailand is open like most places but it's not true.

Have you seen the story of the Thai girl who went to the US broke and within little time was able to start a restaurant business? Nice story but only for her. People who have families and live in Thailand should have the right to open small businesses too without having to be treated as outsiders.

Thais can rarely get a visa to even visit the US much less get work permission. Not sure what girl you are referring to but she either broke the law or was a very rare case.

"A picture of a foreign man and his son selling burgers went viral on Facebook yesterday. "

If he's successful, expect 20 Vegan Runners Cafes, operated by Thais and using an exact copy of the sign, to open up right next to him.

Innovation at work.

Innovation Plagiarism at work.

It seems that in Thailand, you can do small business if you don't care about the unclear rules. Just do it seems to be the motto. I've seen several of these stories. There was a guy selling Pad Thai downtown I think in Yaowarat area and another guy cooking Thai food at his wife's little bamboo hut restaurant in Ayuttaya. There also was a college-age kid at the Thammasat night market selling hotdogs from a hand held barbecue . None of them invested anything much in their business or had manyThai employees. No matter what small business is done in Thailand whether its legal initially or not, the owners tend to stretch the laws(rules) or break them. It's the same for Thais as well. That's how I see it. What happened to the people in those past stories? I think Thais see these stories and think that Thailand is open like most places but it's not true.

Have you seen the story of the Thai girl who went to the US broke and within little time was able to start a restaurant business? Nice story but only for her. People who have families and live in Thailand should have the right to open small businesses too without having to be treated as outsiders.

Thais can rarely get a visa to even visit the US much less get work permission. Not sure what girl you are referring to but she either broke the law or was a very rare case.

The largest Thai community outside Thailand is in the USA. A large number of Thais also visit the USA for business with 10 year visas.

Painted the front of the house in a proper way.. sanding first .. .. grounding.. then 1 layer.. later an other. Did many home improvents.. never a problem with immigration.

Must be a bad life if you live in fear like this. Immigration has said before foreigners can work on boats (if they don't sell them) and their own house.

Lot of barstool talk here, love to see an example of someone doing some housework on the house where they work getting in trouble. But of course it makes a great story and its great to be negative like that.. otherwise how can we put the Thais down.

They can squeeze you if they feel lie it.

I remember reading about a farang on his condo board. Somebody made sure the Immigration Police put the screws to him.

You are not looking hard enough, I know of at least one vegan/veggie restaurant in most areas of Bangkok

Protected job for Thais only, he's breaking the law and could be arrested any day now, pity.

'Protected job for Thais'?? Pretty sure 'vegan' wouldn't even register on a race who must shove pork beef chicken into every damn thing. And before anyone starts, those gin jae restaurants are Chinese owned.

Nonsense, there are many Thai vegetarians. Ever been to a forest temple?

But you know two words in Thai, well done, it's about all you know about Thailand!

Pity they are not the words for "vegan" which are

"mung sa wee rat"

You can start here when looking, the one close to my sons school is listed as pure vegan.

They display the sign year around.

http://www.happycow.net/asia/thailand/

This kid does not go to school according to the Thai press.

Probably getting a better education from dad when at home...thumbsup.gif

His dad is an illegal burger seller in a developing country!

Still should be better than a public school in Thailand. Well, pretty much anything is, including being raised by wolves.

They can squeeze you if they feel lie it.

I remember reading about a farang on his condo board. Somebody made sure the Immigration Police put the screws to him.

I am sure they could but I have lived here 12 years so far and nobody is interested in doing so. Not the local police, immigration, PuYai Ban and not even the local post office where I sometimes collect my own letters to save the postman a ride out.

I am to old to be paranoid.

You say that you remember reading about a farang on his condo board. Do you have any links, news reports etc to back up what you have said? Is that just another urban legend?

Many years ago my Mum told me that the moon was made of blue cheese. Was she right? I have no idea as I have never been there

Proper work permit?

There are also some jobs that foreigners cannot hold in Thailand. If I were him, I make sure all proper paperwork is in place.

Impossible to get a WP or 'paperwork' for a forbidden occupation, having a kid and 'loving Thailand' do not enter into it, what he is doing is against the law.

So what does this mean?

Is he bad and inappropriate?

or the law?

Daniel Thaiger has been selling burgers from his van in Bangkok for a long long time.

Is he Thai ? Does he have special permission to sell his burgers ?

Be nice for you to let people know how he gets around this 'protected job law'

post-227968-0-13158300-1462973707_thumb.

He doesn't look to worried about breaking the law. But then he isn't. Despite what you would have people believe.

Isn't it wonderful living in a country where it is so easy to break the law?

These guys annoy the hell out of the farang who refuse to integrate.

Good on them!

are you saying to truly integrate we need to break the law?