Running Shoes falling apart - Heat?

I've had the same problems with my running shoes. Nike has a date on the label sewn into the tongue so I only buy them within two years. I think the old stock makes it's return to SEA as I've now had 5 pairs with glue problems. You can reglue but they don't last long. The ones brought from the US last much longer though.

I have a pair of regular shoes which I picked up a just few months ago, they are made by ECCO.

I've only worn them maybe around 10 times.

I put them on a couple of weeks ago and started walking across the room - I nearly fell over as the sole started disintegrating into small chunks underneath my feet.

Here's a couple of high resolution photos :

post-44895-0-97527200-1463042990_thumb.j

post-44895-0-00563700-1463043074_thumb.j

These shoes cost just over 3000 Baht and were discounted from their original price of around 5000 Baht which is about the RRP for this type of shoe.

I've been wearing this brand of shoe for at least 10 years as they're normally a pretty comfortable casual type of shoe but if this sort of thing is going to happen maybe I'll stop buying them completely.

Edited by ukrules

I have a pair of regular shoes which I picked up a just few months ago, they are made by ECCO.

I've only worn them maybe around 10 times.

I put them on a couple of weeks ago and started walking across the room - I nearly fell over as the sole started disintegrating into small chunks underneath my feet.

Here's a couple of high resolution photos :

attachicon.gif20160512_152630.jpg

attachicon.gif20160512_152740.jpg

These shoes cost just over 3000 Baht and were discounted from their original price of around 5000 Baht which is about the RRP for this type of shoe.

I've been wearing this brand of shoe for at least 10 years as they're normally a pretty comfortable casual type of shoe but if this sort of thing is going to happen maybe I'll stop buying them completely.

Oooh. That's just nasty! When I was Googling about running shoes I found a lot of complaints about Ecco shoes and the heels crumbling. Apparently it's caused by hydrolysis of the polyurethane soles and it's a common issue ..... and heat/high humidity will accelerate the problem. I had a pair of Triumph motorcycle boots go the same way - and they were also costly. But my cheap no-brand sneakers and 50 THB flip flops seem to last forever!

Happens a lot, in cheap or expensive ones, always because the glue.

Solution? To take to a shoe fixer, many on streets and markets, and sew the sole around. About $100.

I am doing now even in new ones.

Edited by Muzarella

There is little doubt it is the heat. I had a pair of Timberline ankle boots and last winter decided to wear them when it was cold. Got to BigC and walked across the parking lot and felt something strange and when I looked, the outside of the soles had disintegrated - turned to tiny pieces. I got my things, leaving pieces of shoe in my wake.

We do not put air con on in the bedroom during the day and I am sure that the heat build-up was just too high.

• 2 weeks later...

Had this happen many times. The stuff that makes synthetic rubber soft and pliable also lets it break down quickly. In most cases suspect it is the heat. Had a shoe sole fall apart just like that in a plane once. Last fall I reached into a gear bag looking for my ski goggles, the frames had crumbled to nothing over the summer stored in a closet.

Some of ""nice"" stores in fancy malls are selling fake trainers. Learned the hard way in Chiang Mai with some fake Asics, And they were more expensive than if I bought them in Tokyo or Honolulu of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Becareful of what you from the HHH, there are some weird people among them.

Hey I resemble that remarklaugh.png We don't use glue for shoes we sniff it.whistling.gif

Shoes are hit and miss. The key I believe especially for mixed running, on/off road, is not to spend a lot so it then doesn't matter if they have to be discarded. I use Adidas, never spend more than around 2800 a pair and change them when I feel they are gone.

I run in mud, sand, water. leave them in the trunk for a day, hose them off and stick in the sun. Some last a year, some a tad longer.

Becareful of what you from the HHH, there are some weird people among them.

Hey I resemble that remarklaugh.png We don't use glue for shoes we sniff it.whistling.gif

Shoes are hit and miss. The key I believe especially for mixed running, on/off road, is not to spend a lot so it then doesn't matter if they have to be discarded. I use Adidas, never spend more than around 2800 a pair and change them when I feel they are gone.

I run in mud, sand, water. leave them in the trunk for a day, hose them off and stick in the sun. Some last a year, some a tad longer.

Glad you took it in the spirit it was meant. After one pair of expensive shoes lasted 4 months I now buy Tesco cheapies Baoji and get at least 1 year from them even though the wtb insists on cleaning them all of the time.