Running Shoes falling apart - Heat?

In the last 7 years I've gone through 5 pairs of running shoes. I'd like to say it's because I'm a high mileage ultra-marathon runner, but the sad truth is that only run 5K twice a week in a local park.

I've used Brookes (Glycerine), Nike and Adidas - and in all cases the rubber sole inlays have fallen off and the uppers have started to separate from the heel.

Long before they start to show any serious wear from the running, the glue seems to give up and they fall apart.

All the shoes are genuine, as far as I know - they were either bought in SuperSports (Brookes) or in the regular '70% off' running shoe sales at Amarin in central Bangkok.

I've been told that the 70% off shoes are old stock - and this could be a factor?

I also suspect the heat may cause the adhesive to fail? But they are all made in Vietnam - and it's almost as hot there as in Thailand.

Agreed. Those sold in regular sports shops - presumably not copies - in falang land fare no better (they are mostly made in SEA too!).

Some hasher (Hash House harriers - the drinkers with a running problem) told me there is something in the soil in the subtropics and tropics that attacks the glue. Sounds as far fetched as hashers normally sound!

Home repairs with atube of rubber glue from a watsadu is cost effective - just about, but they will still come apart again after a few months. I've kept a pair going for 5 years of monthly 10-12 k outings in the brush that way but it's become a challenge rather than common sense!

I've read it has to do with the heat and humidity.

I'm a little wary of that store in Amarin Plaza. Not 100% sure they are real. Prices are too good. A pair of real North Face hiking boots for 2,000 Baht? No way. I went nearby and got them at SuperSports for 5,000B or so. Fantastic shoes.

Similar to the OP, over the past 7 years, I have brought over a dozen pairs of major brand athletic shoes from the USA to Thailand. Almost all of them have had the soles separate from the shoes. My wife takes them to a shoe repair shop to not only be re-glued, but they add this layer of foam-like sealant between the sole and shoe. Total cost 150 baht per pair. It looks original. None of these shoes have required re-gluing, but the shoes fixed from the shop that simply re-glued had to be redone and they charged 300 baht (we suspect farang price).

Perhaps it's the soil, heat or maybe the 'acid-rain' here that neutralizes the shoe glues. Sometimes, i walk through deep rain water, but i don't walk on much soil. I can understand the heat possibly softening rubber and glue, but the glue appears to be dry and "neutralized."

Yes, it's an easy fix, but i have had to walk an afternoon with the sole flapping as i walked. Thais would laugh and tell me to buy new shoes smile.png. I'd tape them up until i got home. It makes them smile and i tell them, 'no money' smile.png.

Edited by losgrad

My Keen hiking shoes that fell apart had never been worn here in Thailand. Stored in a closet, in a room that has the AC on often. They were worn several months of the year during my various trips.

Fell apart while walking in a very small town in Czech Republic. Luckily, a few miles away was a small store with super glue. Worked great until the other one gave way. Tossed them as I was in a larger town and got some replacements.

Agreed. Those sold in regular sports shops - presumably not copies - in falang land fare no better (they are mostly made in SEA too!).

Some hasher (Hash House harriers - the drinkers with a running problem) told me there is something in the soil in the subtropics and tropics that attacks the glue. Sounds as far fetched as hashers normally sound!

Home repairs with atube of rubber glue from a watsadu is cost effective - just about, but they will still come apart again after a few months. I've kept a pair going for 5 years of monthly 10-12 k outings in the brush that way but it's become a challenge rather than common sense!

(Hash House harriers - the drinkers with a running problem) cheesy.gif clap2.gif cheesy.gif thumbsup.gif

I have looked in many stores all over Thailand and never seen what I believe are the real deal at 70% off. "Old stock" shouldn't mean it is inferior in any way and for most runners, the comfort and the proper support they give is more important than the new "faster-striped model"

For all runners the shoes are worn less than the time they could be stored in a suitable place less likely to be affected by direct heat.

I bought many genuine running shoes in UK but since being in Thailand bought only cheap trainers B500, wearing them nearly every day but not for running. They have lasted me a year without falling apart.

If the glue issue is that common, I am surprised to hear the problem still exists.

I think it's the heat. My walking boots from the UK had the same problem, my tennis trainers, and my table tennis trainers. For trainers it's easy to stitch them up again but no one will touch my walking boots in my province. Anyone know of a place to get walking boots repaired in bkk? I'm willing to travel there to fix them

rubber glue have a shelf life, especially if manufacturer uses a crappy one it would have a short life span, prone to drying and cracking. Old stock shoe have higher probabilty of soles falling apart due to the dry out glue.

Many manufactures also use eco-friendly material where the soles will disentigrate after a couple of years.

i seldom wear anything but flip flops. i have a few old pairs of shoes lying around. wore one old pair back to no nz last december and they fell apart on the trip home. i was helping doing some tree trimming in the house in esan so i put on a pair of work boots i bought when i was in australia a few years ago. they are almost unused but fell apart almost immediately. it seems it is the heat and or humidity. i have a shop that sells inflatable kites for kiteboarding and regular as clockwork every april the valves on the bladders of any kites over 3 years old fall off and the kites deflate. my customers now want kites that have just been imported, not ones that have been sitting on the shelf for a year or 2.

Same general story for me as above Posters.

Nearly new pair of Adidas returned to manufacturer seeking replacement. Answer was "The Shoe / Sole attachment medium (Glue) has been affected by a fungus due to high humidity."

I was living in Indonesia at the time. Never had problems in OZ!

Regards PEAP

I've had issues with Nike, althoug I typically get about 12 months out of them them. So not complaining too much.

I find Adidas seem to be very durable. I have used 3 pairs of Energy Boost, and not one has fallen apart. Give them a try perhaps?

Thanks all! I'll take my latest Brookes shoes to get repaired (they cost me over 4000 THB so I expect some decent use out of them!) - but as others have said, the soles always seem to fall off at the far point of the run, so I have to do the flappy walk of shame. Used a few of those red elastic bands from a food stall to hold them together after my last glue failure.

The odd thing is that my cheap, locally made, no brand 'sneakers' (sort of a Converse copy as used by the Takraw players) seem to last forever.

I've had issues with Nike, althoug I typically get about 12 months out of them them. So not complaining too much.

I find Adidas seem to be very durable. I have used 3 pairs of Energy Boost, and not one has fallen apart. Give them a try perhaps?

I'll try the Energy Boost next (after a few repair jobs on the Brookes) - the sole design looks different to other shoes, perhaps they'll hang together longer?

I get New Balance. They last until they are worn out, up to 3 years.

But I recommend that you buy at least one new pair every year whether you run or walk in them.

The cushioning naturally loses it's integrity over time. And definitely they deteriorate faster in this tropical heat.

Interesting!

I run a lot and mountain bike every day, so trainers get punished.

All the trainers I buy in Pattaya and Bangkok, Nike, Puma and Adidas fall apart, mainly the soles unglue but also the uppers as well.

Yet, the trainers I buy in the UK have virtually no problems and I even throw them in the washing machine!

I buy the same make as above and for hard bike riding I find the best cheaper make to be : EVERLAST, thesejust go on until they are simply worn out.

Same general story for me as above Posters.

Nearly new pair of Adidas returned to manufacturer seeking replacement. Answer was "The Shoe / Sole attachment medium (Glue) has been affected by a fungus due to high humidity."

I was living in Indonesia at the time. Never had problems in OZ!

Regards PEAP

..... this got me thinking .... or rather Googling. Lots of posts about polyurethane soles crumbing in heat (I had this with some bike boots) and some about glue failing and shoes falling apart, but I can't find anything specific on fungus attacking the glue ... but it sounds like a possible cause?

And it must be something to do with the heat and humidity - as my running shoes didn't fall apart with such regularity in the UK.

Perhaps we need to keep our shoes in an airtight box with some silica gel when not being used?

Or put them in the fridge? tongue.png

Becareful of what you from the HHH, there are some weird people among them. It is the heat and humidity that affects the glue. In Darwin I have seen the laminex lift off kitchen benchtops for the same reason. You would think that the glue makers would have come up with something that works in the tropics.

Buying name brand Knock offs TIT?

nope...would be good to read some of the posts before posting. Has been happening to my shoes for eight years and I have never bought shoes here except flip flops. I just buy a new pair when I go back home every year or so. (and not knock-offs)

Edited by Lee4Life