I Walked Up To Doi Suthep

daveh

I've only been to Chiang Mai once back in 2003. It was with my then Thai girlfriend. During our stay, we discovered that thousands of people were going to walk up the mountain to Doi Sethep our first night. So like everyone else, we decided to join them. We walked from the base of the mountain all the way to the temple. It was a really great experience. I doubt I saw more than 6 farangs the whole way.

Since being away from Thailand, I've not found any mention of this online. I'm sure I'm just not using the right search terms to find it. Could someone tell me the holiday in which the people of Chiang Mai do this? When is this holiday normally celebrated?

Thanks,

Dave.

I've only been to Chiang Mai once back in 2003. It was with my then Thai girlfriend. During our stay, we discovered that thousands of people were going to walk up the mountain to Doi Sethep our first night. So like everyone else, we decided to join them. We walked from the base of the mountain all the way to the temple. It was a really great experience. I doubt I saw more than 6 farangs the whole way.

Since being away from Thailand, I've not found any mention of this online. I'm sure I'm just not using the right search terms to find it. Could someone tell me the holiday in which the people of Chiang Mai do this? When is this holiday normally celebrated?

Thanks,

Dave.

Visakha Bucha Day (around May 11th) is the day used to celebrate Kru Ba Sriwichai's building of the road to Doi Suthep. hel_l of a walk :o

Yes, hel_l of a walk..

I'm glad I did it once but won't do it again. It would be okay *IF* they would close the road to vehicular traffic that night. But with all the traffic driving past and no separate foot path, it's not the safest thing in the world. Plus with the exercise and breathing a lot, you're breathing in a lot of fumes..

Yes, hel_l of a walk..

I'm glad I did it once but won't do it again. It would be okay *IF* they would close the road to vehicular traffic that night. But with all the traffic driving past and no separate foot path, it's not the safest thing in the world. Plus with the exercise and breathing a lot, you're breathing in a lot of fumes..

They closed the road this year. It was opened again at 4 - this meant that there were HEAPS of people waiting to get down.

Thanks,

Dave.

Visakha Bucha Day (around May 11th) is the day used to celebrate Kru Ba Sriwichai's building of the road to Doi Suthep. hel_l of a walk :o

In 2007 Visakha Bucha Day is 02 May according to George's list of holidays.

Thanks,

Dave.

In 2007 Visakha Bucha Day is 02 May according to George's list of holidays.

Sorry, I couldn't remember the new moon date for next year :D

Yeap, that's when I was there. Thanks!

It was a he11 of a walk too. The next day, my TGF didn't get out of bed.

Looking on the internet, I've found people claim the walk to be 7, 9, and 12 kilometers long. For some reason, I was under the impression it was even longer than that (16km). I remember reading the road signs on my way up.

When I did it, there were not too many vehicles heading up there, but there were some. We came down via a truck. I remember this as the driver split my GF and I up so some monks would not be seated next to a woman. That was the time I discovered monks could not be touched by women.

Thanks again everyone.