German woman suffers broken nose after attack in Ayutthaya historical park

webfact

German woman suffers broken nose after attack in Ayutthaya historical park

g.jpg

AYUTTHAYA:-- A young German tourist suffered a broken nose after she fought back in an attempted bag snatch at the historical ruins in Ayutthaya.

Police called to the Bung Phra Ram park next to the Wat Phra Ram temple found 20 year old Friede Hartwigh with blood coming out of her nose, bloodstains on her clothes an injury to her hand, reports Manager Online.

She was taken to hospital where the bridge of her nose was found to be fractured.

She told local police that she had been walking from the information centre when a Thai man aged about 20 on a motorcycle stopped by her. He asked her for money and offered her a ride. When she refused he tried to grab her bag and a scuffle broke out and she fell over. Then the assailant punched her in the face with his fist.

Fortunately two students were approaching on a bike at that moment and the attacker fled.

The German girl was not sure if her attacker had a weapon and said she may have hurt her arm as she fell.

Police are examining CCTV footage as they hunt for the man.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-12

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems to happen more and more. Soon the news coverage of these incidents will not be enough motivation for the BiB anymore to really try to catch the bad guys. And then again... what if they catch the rat? An apology, a wai and back to farang mugging.

Seems to happen more and more. Soon the news coverage of these incidents will not be enough motivation for the BiB anymore to really try to catch the bad guys. And then again... what if they catch the rat? An apology, a wai and back to farang mugging.

Depends really, if he is a grabtaxi driver they may fine him 4K...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/916643-grab-bike-rider-grabbed-by-police-and-fined-4k-in-bangkok/

Edited by Bluespunk

It would not surprise me if there are orders given NOT to report on these issues as it may have a negative refection on the country and hurt it's image.

Then there's the profits of tourist income that could be put at risk and we know just what is most important in LOS.

BTW I wonder if they will fine her 500 Baht for fighting? OK seriously who will be paying for her medical bills?

Now if the country had to pay compensation to victims of assault's I would imagine the BIB would be told to get off their ass and catch these thugs and gaol them for a minimum of one year gaol...

Edited by aussieinthailand

Sadly we hear of so few of these common crimes that happen all around the world .

Countries such as Thailand under military rule are seeing their economies suffer.

There is no question it makes it far more desperate and dangerous

This sort of assault has being going on for a lot longer than the current govts period of rule.

Crime stats are way up in Thailand due the the country being under military rule and suffering economically.

Sure these crimes always exist and can be said to happen in all countries.

That doesn't alter the facts that its happening more frequently now in this particular Nation

It's a topic we increasing dwell on here now.

Rapes, murders, and assaults , two weeks ago it was elderly westerners bashed and hospitalised .

Last week a murdered disabled man by six attackers all Thai.

Thais involved with police connections might even walk.

Today an innocent German lady.

Luckily people were able to scare attacker away before it might have worsened.

Thailand has it apologists here.

So I recommend google or just browse this site.

Not smooth as silk

Edited by Plutojames88

Crime rates up because of the lessening economy because of the military?

Really?

Might there be some other reasons.

Reasons also mentioned in this forum?

However, you think that if the parties get to rule again all will be well?

Go back to the situation before the coup?

I'm first and most vocal on the scumbags here and how they treat foreigners, including the bib but in reality.... this reeks of jumping on the bandwagon. To add to it she was helped by 2 students and therefore the opposite of Hua Hin.

Crime stats are way up in Thailand due the the country being under military rule and suffering economically.

Sure these crimes always exist and can be said to happen in all countries.

That doesn't alter the facts that its happening more frequently now in this particular Nation

It's a topic we increasing dwell on here now.

Rapes, murders, and assaults , two weeks ago it was elderly westerners bashed and hospitalised .

Last week a murdered disabled man by six attackers all Thai.

Thais involved with police connections might even walk.

Today an innocent German lady.

Luckily people were able to scare attacker away before it might have worsened.

Thailand has it apologists here.

So I recommend google or just browse this site.

Please cite your cirime stats reference.

Gets back to the hassle of having your passport on you at all times

for tourists, such a hassle to get a new one ( expense and time )

1) charge of unlawful assault/ lady so it should be up graded to grievous bodily harm

2) attempted robbery

at least as a deterrent to others 1 year in the monkey house

but we all know a quick trip to the Wat , for a week of early rises

free food and coffee,

bad deeds paid for

now he will be such a nice fellow.

It would not surprise me if there are orders given NOT to report on these issues as it may have a negative refection on the country and hurt it's image.

Then there's the profits of tourist income that could be put at risk and we know just what is most important in LOS.

BTW I wonder if they will fine her 500 Baht for fighting? OK seriously who will be paying for her medical bills?

Now if the country had to pay compensation to victims of assault's I would imagine the BIB would be told to get off their ass and catch these thugs and gaol them for a minimum of one year gaol...

I was just reading a book about Charles Sobraj - the bikini killer, who drugged, strangled and robbed backpackers from Nepal to Bangkok on the hippie trail in the 70s.

It was noted then that he would have been caught a whole lot sooner except the Thai authorities instructed Police not to investigate the 2 or 3 murders near Pattaya and in Bangkok too much and kick up a story which would be harmful for tourism. A dutch embassy official did most of the investigation into the murder of 2 Dutch backpackers on Thai soil - otherwise little would have been known.

So, policy ain't changed much.....

Tourist Tip: Stay x2 arm length away from any unfamiliar man, especially the smashed nose, dark skinned ones (even if he's dressed as a woman).

Stranger danger, I think the saying goes....

I was just reading a book about Charles Sobraj - the bikini killer, who drugged, strangled and robbed backpackers from Nepal to Bangkok on the hippie trail in the 70s.

It was noted then that he would have been caught a whole lot sooner except the Thai authorities instructed Police not to investigate the 2 or 3 murders near Pattaya and in Bangkok too much and kick up a story which would be harmful for tourism. A dutch embassy official did most of the investigation into the murder of 2 Dutch backpackers on Thai soil - otherwise little would have been known.

One need only look at the tragic deaths of the two Canadian young women in 2012. They succumbed to pesticide poisoning. The local Thai officials did their utmost to cover up and obstruct the Canadian investigation. Had it not been for the investigation of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, the deaths of the Canadians would have gone unsolved. Norwegian Julie Bergheim and American Jill St. Onge were staying in adjacent rooms at their hotel and both died under similar circumstances as the Canadians. The Norwegians tipped off the Canadian forensic investigators and shared their knowledge. The Thai authorities still deny that the irresponsible use of pesticide was involved. Instead we were treated to character assassination of the women accusing them of having loose morals etc. I'm surprised that some Thai official hasn't accused the German victim of this attack of being responsible because her wardrobe was provocative and corrupted the innocent Thai boy.

One need only look at the tragic deaths of the two Canadian young women in 2012. They succumbed to pesticide poisoning. The local Thai officials did their utmost to cover up and obstruct the Canadian investigation. Had it not been for the investigation of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, the deaths of the Canadians would have gone unsolved. Norwegian Julie Bergheim and American Jill St. Onge were staying in adjacent rooms at their hotel and both died under similar circumstances as the Canadians. The Norwegians tipped off the Canadian forensic investigators and shared their knowledge. The Thai authorities still deny that the irresponsible use of pesticide was involved. Instead we were treated to character assassination of the women accusing them of having loose morals etc. I'm surprised that some Thai official hasn't accused the German victim of this attack of being responsible because her wardrobe was provocative and corrupted the innocent Thai boy.

Yes, and I remember in the case of the Canadian girls, at first the cops were saying it might be due to them having ibuprofen in their room:???? And then later some assclown in power said they "might" have brought the deadly pesticide with them from Canada, and then succumbed to it in their hotel room in Thailand.

Jail time is needed to stem off some of these attacks

Jail time is useless, this suspect should be held down and punched by the victim or better yet, she chooses a bloke to administer the punishment for her.

Broadcast the event on everyone's favorite social platform and see what happens.

Should Foreigners in Thailand carry their Passports on them to appease Police/Immigration or defence weapon for protection as assault crimes are on the rise

I never have my passport on me. I have a picture of the Id page and visa and stamps on my phone.

This been said. I was witness of an attempted phone snatch where the girl also resisted and got injjured The snatcher was neutralised by Thai people although he tried to flee on motorbike. Police came fast. Arrested him. Took care of the girl. Brought her to hospital. Bad guys in every country.

In protecting tourism just think Erawan Shrine which shows how far the government will go.

Should Foreigners in Thailand carry their Passports on them to appease Police/Immigration or defence weapon for protection as assault crimes are on the rise

If you wear a bikini and are attractive the Prime Minster of Thailand warns this is dangerous and invites crimes like Rape and murder.

Weapons might be used against you ....but if female maybe get some strong pepper spray to use on potential criminals who might want to take your hand bag .

Stun guns etc are illegal .

But sold widely.

The best protection is book a nice resort and stay there.

Using only day time field trips arranged .( before travel)

No Thai men should be trusted.

And never show off wealth like jewels.

While military cling to power other destinations are advisable .

If you have already booked be careful and don't argue or bother about small change.

Thais are by nature friendly but can be dishonest over money charged for services with new westerners not so versed in costs.

Overall you should be safe so relax enjoy and remember to aim for their eyes

Nasty business but the lesson is not to resist: a handbag is nothing when you could lose your life. The natural response is to hang on and resist rather than let go but so often we see that reaction end in injury or even death ( eg, the Australian woman in Phuket). One must feel sorry for this young woman: dream holiday in what should be a safe environment ruined by a brute. At least she survived.

No sign of TAT,with the flowers and comforting words,must have given up

as a lost cause,as it seems to be happening more and more,when its only

1 mugger they will pick a lone female,(not too big),several muggers will

think of taking on a male tourist (not too big).best to have your wits about

you at all times.

regards worgeordie

Most news stories say that the police are examining CCTV... Are there really that many CCTV's in Thailand? I've lived here for more than 10 years and can't say that I've noticed CCTV's... Even if they are installed, how many of them actually work, and have film/video, 1%?