"Grab Bike" rider grabbed by police and fined 4K in Bangkok

webfact

"Grab Bike" rider grabbed by police and fined 4K in Bangkok

gb.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- A "Grab Bike" rider has been fined 4,000 baht for operating an illegal service.

The arrest of the rider followed altercations caught on tape between registered motorcycle taxi riders - in orange jackets - and the rider of the online application company that operates like Grab Taxi. The incident happened in front of CU I-House on Chula Soi 9 in Bangkok near Chulalongkorn University, reported Thairath.

An orange vested driver had grabbed the key of the Grab Bike man when he arrived to pick up a student who had called him.

Thai news earlier reported a registered driver complaining about the service that was taking the money out of the hands of 'win riders'. Win refers to riders in orange jackets who are registered to operate in the city.

Pathumwan police found Pisanu Tiwasamrit of Grab Bike and fined him 4,000 baht for operating a public transport service without a license and not wearing the required jacket of a registered motorcycle taxi rider.

It has also been reported that police warned win riders in the area about their behavior after the clip created great interest on social media.

TV news interviewed a senior official at the Land Transport department who confirmed that Grab Bike is an illegal service that has neither been authorized nor vetted for suitability.

Source: Thairath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLQrU6QsmNE

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-12

My god. Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing or do they just choose to be obtuse because it's convenient. Face really is what think it is in your own head.

Let me get this straight. Grab taxi driver fined 4k? If he really was riding without a permit, etc, then fair enough. If he's authorized, they've completely made this up as they've gone along.

Orange riders are warned not to threaten and take other people's property. They pay the police to operate there. So if they pack up and move, police don't get their money.

This country is in serious need of a reboot.

This is what happened when one Mafia infringes on another's turf, most of the so called

public transportations variety are Mafia like build and run, and rouge operators are

not allowed to come in and do what they like, and the police keeps the peace by insuring

that it stays like that.....

Unbelievable fined 4000 baht.

When has a taxi driver/ motorbike taxi ever been fined more than 1000 baht ?

Plain to see police are not getting any kickbacks.

Just another case of police making the RTP look stupid, and GREEDY bunch of thieves.

Grab taxi and Uber are illegal in many countries, leading to problems with authorised taxi companies. Thailand is no exception.

Exactly .I agree with what the police did here.

My god. Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing or do they just choose to be obtuse because it's convenient. Face really is what think it is in your own head.

Let me get this straight. Grab taxi driver fined 4k? If he really was riding without a permit, etc, then fair enough. If he's authorized, they've completely made this up as they've gone along.

Orange riders are warned not to threaten and take other people's property. They pay the police to operate there. So if they pack up and move, police don't get their money.

This country is in serious need of a reboot.

Format the whole thing and reinstall

Grab taxi and Uber are illegal in many countries, leading to problems with authorised taxi companies. Thailand is no exception.

I wonder why they are "illegal" if indeed they are?

If the vehicles and drivers are licensed. then surely their is no problem. The smartphone app booking system is only a 21st century equivalent of phoning a call centre or standing on the kerb flapping your paws.

Their popularity with the users, who seem to like knowing when their cab will turn up, who will be driving and what the price will be is perhaps the answer to that question.

Off topic I know but in the UK there has been much discussion about fitting a noise maker to "hybrid" (Toyota Prius) vehicles, as their silent approach could be a danger to pedestrians and cyclists. It was deemed unnecessary in the case of such vehicles plated as taxis, as the constant whining noise from the front right-hand seat was thought to provide sufficient warning.

:):)

Edited by JAG

The regular motorcycle taxi is not exactly expensive, how cheap are the irregular operators?

Uber/Grab motorcycle services are roughly the same price.

They add convenience for when you're in a place where there is no orange shirts available. It's actually a not so rare situation.

They also tend to be a bit better mannered and despite what Thai government would like you to believe with their talk of license and insurance, they are probably held more accountable by the operator than the regular motosai by the dept of transportation.

The regular motorcycle taxi is not exactly expensive, how cheap are the irregular operators?

Is the price so significant? If you was a yellow jacket bike or a grab bike it should be your choice. Let the authorities regulate the charges

Did they fine he moto taxi guy for not having the legal yellow licence plate? rolleyes.gif

...or for failing to make the "appropriate contributions"?

I was actually referring to the Moto Taxi driver that started the altercation in the video. In the video it clearly shows that he is not using a yellow licence (1st offence) and that he doesn't have a licence plate at all (2nd offence). I was wondering whether the police were as eager to fine him ;)

Poor guy, Better become a ladyboy and robbing tourists. Only 500 baht fine.

yes this taxi guy trying to make living and get fined 4000bath, while this <deleted> ladyboy scumbags can walk arround and steal from tourists and get away with a small fine.....

the police should grab all those taxi"meter" that drive arround in pattaya and don't use the meter and fined them 4000bath everytime they are doucebags.... i would use the taxi meter in pattaya more if they actually use the meter, some days when it's raining it great to sit inside a car with aircon and when it's hot outside...

Did they fine he moto taxi guy for not having the legal yellow licence plate? rolleyes.gif

...or for failing to make the "appropriate contributions"?

I was actually referring to the Moto Taxi driver that started the altercation in the video. In the video it clearly shows that he is not using a yellow licence (1st offence) and that he doesn't have a licence plate at all (2nd offence). I was wondering whether the police were as eager to fine him wink.png

Ah I see, my mistake. (sometimes I am a bear of very little brain).

Mind you, if he wasn't fined, as seems to be the case it probably was as a result of making the "appropriate contributions"!

biggrin.png