AC Condenser Unit

Alex2015

Why does external Condenser for the AC in the lounge run constantly even when the room temperature isn't 'calling' for it. The one in the Bedroom starts and stops as the temperature rises and falls.

The Bedroom one is a Samsung and the Lounge a LG.

Perhaps because it is faulty?

I managed to figure that out myself, I was looking for some one to tell me what the fault was ?
Call the aircon repair man then

I was looking for some sensible suggestions before calling the air con man.

I managed to figure that out myself, I was looking for some one to tell me what the fault was ?

Why ?...so when you eventually call the aircon repair man you can be a farang know it all and start telling him what to do ?

Why ?...so when you eventually call the aircon repair man you can be a farang know it all and start telling him what to do ?

I am a tradesman, Electrician, so would never dream of telling another tradesman how to do their job.

The reason I am asking is maybe I have the settings wrongly configured on the remote.

I am a tradesman, Electrician, so would never dream of telling another tradesman how to do their job.

The reason I am asking is maybe I have the settings wrongly configured on the remote.

You would be one of few then...well done...

Most probably a stuck or faulty thermostat.

More info >>> http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-does-a-split-air-conditioner-work#b

Thanks for the info, sounds like a faulty thermostat on unit in the Lounge then. I contacted the owner who more or less 'fobbed' me off, she said as I had the Temp set too high ? The Temp on the Remote was indicating a lower Room Temp than I had it set at so the external unit should have cut out as there was no demand for a lower Temp ?

The condenser has nothing to do with room temperature.

I would not agree with you 100%.

Try leaving all doors & windows open while the AC is running with the temperature set to a minimum and observe the behaviour of the outdoor unit - it will run continuously as the indoor unit tries to reach the set temperature.

Both units works hand in hand to maintain the required temperature.

EDIT

The compressor is controlled by an internal thermostat. As the thermostat detects warm air, it activates the outdoor compressor. The compressor circulates a refrigerant gas, increasing the pressure and temperature of the refrigerant as it compresses it through a series of pipes. The refrigerant then moves to the condenser for further processing.
In the condenser, a cooling system removes heat from the high-pressure gas and the gas changes phase and becomes a liquid. This chilled liquid is pushed through tubing indoors until it reaches the evaporator system.
Inside the home, the evaporator fan collects warm air and passes it through a chamber containing the chilled liquid refrigerant. The fan system blows this air, which has now been cooled, back into the room, lowering the overall temperature of the space. If the thermostat still detects air that is warmer than desirable, the process continues, and the refrigerant and any excess heat that remains in the system are passed back outdoors to the compressor in order to begin the cycle again.
Edited by ravip

The condenser has nothing to do with room temperature.

I would not agree with you 100%.

Try leaving all doors & windows open while the AC is running with the temperature set to a minimum and observe the behaviour of the outdoor unit - it will run continuously as the indoor unit tries to reach the set temperature.

Both units works hand in hand to maintain the required temperature.

EDIT

The compressor is controlled by an internal thermostat. As the thermostat detects warm air, it activates the outdoor compressor. The compressor circulates a refrigerant gas, increasing the pressure and temperature of the refrigerant as it compresses it through a series of pipes. The refrigerant then moves to the condenser for further processing.

In the condenser, a cooling system removes heat from the high-pressure gas and the gas changes phase and becomes a liquid. This chilled liquid is pushed through tubing indoors until it reaches the evaporator system.

Inside the home, the evaporator fan collects warm air and passes it through a chamber containing the chilled liquid refrigerant. The fan system blows this air, which has now been cooled, back into the room, lowering the overall temperature of the space. If the thermostat still detects air that is warmer than desirable, the process continues, and the refrigerant and any excess heat that remains in the system are passed back outdoors to the compressor in order to begin the cycle again.

Thanks for that. I am a fridgie by trade. The condenser is controlled by the head pressure (or compressor discharge pressure/ temperature).

Start by giving the condenser a good clean.

I'm not sure that approach is practical in Thailand. I have no qualms about telling Thais how to do things properly when they clearly have no real idea of their own.

It was a serious suggestion in case you thought that it was normal that your second unit should behave like that.

Hey OP rather than go into a massive spool about refrigeration, google "high head pressure" and go from there (assuming it isn't something like a contactor playing up). It could be a dozen things.

Maybe time for a service?

I had something similar once, even though I'd turned the AC unit inside off the outside unit was still running. The only way to stop it was to use the breaker.

I'm not sure on the difference beween a condenser or compressor (is this the same thing) but when I went outside to examine it as I could still hear it running a large lump of ice had grown on the outside one of the pipes it was frozen solid.

It turned out something was blocked. It took many hours for the ice to melt and I had some guy come in and do the whole pressure wash job from inside and out and it fixed it.

I got my own AC guy even though this was in a rented place because I was renting from someone who is one of the dumbest people I've ever met and it would never have been fixed if left to the brainless one to organise.

I'm not sure that approach is practical in Thailand. I have no qualms about telling Thais how to do things properly when they clearly have no real idea of their own.

I've seen millions of AC's working in Thailand.

I wonder who maintains them...

coffee1.gif

I've seen millions of AC's working in Thailand.

I wonder who maintains them...

Presumably people who know what they are doing.

But I've seen loads of broken and even outright dangerous things here. I wonder who is responsible for the state of those? My own condo was fitted out with no earthing cables at all, and aluminium patio doors that are more than 1cm out of plumb. I imagine that Thai tradesmen did both jobs. Had I been there at the time they would not have got away with either.

From my experience of living and working abroad not many countries train tradesman as we used to do in the UK, 4/5 year Apprenticeships in the Shipyards, Minng Industry etc. Those have all but gone from the 'on the job hands on training' to be replaced by College based Training Schemes where the emphasis is on educational training for 2 years in between being 'farmed out' to companies as cheap labour with the result a lot of the apprentices can't put a screw in the wall at the end of it, yet are classed as Tradesman.

I found in most countries that people were a 'jack of all trades, master of none, having picked up knowledge as they went along. Malta was the only place because of the British influence that actually had Real Apprenticeship Training mostly in the Shipyards but from what I know they some were sold off to the Italians the others closed so possibly doesn't happen there anymore C

We now have Apprenticeships in Shops, before they were Trainees but the government in their wisdom called them Apprenticeships and were handing grants out to encourage companies to recruit 'Apprentices'. The system is abused, an Apprenticeship is training in a trade, Joiner, Electrician etc not a 'shelf stacker'