Odometer fraud!

I recently purchased a Ducati from a shop in Bangkok. I traded my Kawasaki in with the deal and I added additional funds to make up the cost of the Ducati.

Some days later, I saw the Kawasaki advertised on his Facebook page, BUT the KM advertised were 20'000km less than I knew were on the bike when I handed it over to him.

He has wound back the digital clock on the Kawasaki, and now some poor person has bought it with false information.

It also makes me concerned with the Ducati I purchased from him that he has done the same thing.

After further investigation on the Ducati, I looked at the key lock assembly.

When I bought it, it only had (1) key (sus in itself)

I googled Ducati lock assembly, and from factory the two bolts that hold the ignition in have a tamper proof head on them! See attached.

post-249049-0-42237300-1463043935_thumb.

Now on mine, those tamper proof bolts are not there, instead they are normal allen key bolts, and furthmore the two bolts are not even the same.

My thoughts are that he has replaced the dash and ignition as they are paired, with one with lower milage on my Ducati.

I googled Ducati lock assembly, and from factory the two bolts that hold the ignition in have a tamper proof head on them! See attached.

Now on mine, those tamper proof bolts are not there, instead they are normal allen key bolts, and furthmore the two bolts are not even the same.

My thoughts are that he has replaced the dash and ignition as they are paired, with one with lower milage on my Ducati.

Why would he do that? He now has a lower mileage bike with a higher mileage dash (yours) to sell.

Yep, wouldn't trust any vehicle sold here second hand. It happens elsewhere of course but there are penalties for 'knowingly' selling clocked vehicles (in UK at least), but don't even think it's illegal to wind them back there, and very unlikely to be a law against it here. The actual mileage is probably stored in onboard memory somewhere, but unlikely the cops will do anything, even if you have a pic of the Kwacker's previously mileage. Shame you didn't do the research beforehand, the looked out for those tamper-proof bolts. Probably best to keep schtum now since you'll get doubly stung if you reveal all when you come to sell. Not nice having it on your conscience, I know, but what can you do?

Why would he do that? He now has a lower mileage bike with a higher mileage dash (yours) to sell.

Or he bought the lower mileage stuff from a crashed bike...

No he probably bought a 2nd hand low mileage dash and key set on ebay for cheap and swapped over.

this comes as a surprise to the OP ?

Thought this kinda stuff was common knowledge.

As for the Duc, I thought the odo numbers were stored on the ECU and not the display, did they swap the ECU as well perhaps ?

this comes as a surprise to the OP ?

Thought this kinda stuff was common knowledge.

As for the Duc, I thought the odo numbers were stored on the ECU and not the display, did they swap the ECU as well perhaps ?

From what I have read its stored on a chip in the dash cluster. But the dash cluster along cannot be changed, they also need to change the key locks. All of which would be worth doing if they can sell the bike with lower KM and make an extra 50'000thb

Considering the thief did it with my Kawasaki and also ripped off some poor bastard for about 40'00thb why is this an unreasonable proposition.

Just a shame its after the purchase, though it does make me want to tell the new buyer of the KAwasaki that he has been duped, so then there is two of us after him!!

How about service books?

Did you gave the dealer one with the sold bike and did you get one with the Ducati?

But anyway, looks like the shop you used, buy/sell different brands anyway.

Try taking your Ducati to a ducati dealer and see if the bike is in their system, will likely cost a small fee to retrieve the service history if possible.

Name of the shop in BKK? Nice to know but I am not very likely to buy a used big bike here for above reason and many Thais ride big bikes like they stole them too.

If the bike has been serviced at Ducati they will have odometer readings......must have looked at 3 or 4 trucks 4 years ago before we found one with genuine readings ,one dodgy seller even agreed we could take the truck to the main dealer where service records proved the readings were wrong.....555

It's not the police you have to contact it's the office off fair trading but first you need to prove your readings are wrong,you can't do anything about the Kawasaki that you sold that's really none of your business now.

Yes surely you would check the service books before buying a second hand bike, especially a Ducati. If the books showed a 4000 service say every year for 5 years but the mileage on the bike was only 10,000 then it would highlight the fraud.

If the Ducati had no service history or the books had been "altered" i wouldn't touch it.

Edited by Henryford

Maybe he put a zero-milage / new-one on dat un, ya.

Got onto Ducati and all is ok. The milage is correct and not tampered with. The lock was changed by Ducati at 13'000km due to an issue with it.

Its a shame I was so skeptical given the dealer had messed with the Kawasaki I traded in. TIT

Got onto Ducati and all is ok. The milage is correct and not tampered with. The lock was changed by Ducati at 13'000km due to an issue with it.

Its a shame I was so skeptical given the dealer had messed with the Kawasaki I traded in. TIT

Good news then and a happy Ducati owner now I hope. For me, if I was throwing a bunch of cash at a big bike then I would only purchase with a full service history as a first requirement.

Shame about the next kwakker owner though but not your problem, just let it go.

Edited by KhruGin

• 1 month later...

So Ducati didn't use the same temper proof bolts as the factory does or at least use the same two bolts when they repaired it? Ducati Thailand... nothing surprises me there anymore.