Two Russians arrested for working as illegal tour guides

snoop1130

Two Russians arrested for working as illegal tour guides
Kongleaphy Keam

post-249866-0-14689100-1463054457_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Two Russian nationals were arrested at Wat Chalong Temple this morning for allegedly working illegally as tour guides, confirmed officials from the Phuket Provincial Labor Office (PPLO).

“They did not have their passports, but identified themselves as Irina Soboleva and Kolia, adding that they were employed by the Anex Tour Company,” PPLO chief Sutthipong Saisakaret told the Phuket Gazette.

“They were charged for working illegally as tour guides, an occupation reserved for Thai nationals, and for working without a permit.”

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Two-Russians-arrested-working-illegal-tour-guides/63870?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-05-12

They were fined but what about the company they say they worked for, just brought in to explain? Be interesting to know the percentage of language skills of Thai's broken down into languages.

Ok so the speak Thai, some speak limited English but what about the rest of the languages that visitors bring with them?

Edited by gandalf12

Here we go again......sad.png

"But how many Thais can speak Russian/Chinese/English''......ad nauseum....

Well, one of the Thai girls in my local 7/11 speaks fluent Russian and English. She deals with all of the Russian customers. So I guess there is possibly more than one Thai Russian speaker in Thailand.

I understand the Thai mentality on this, but how would legitimate tour companies get Russian speaking tour guides, or any other nationality tour guides as applicable? You can't really expect to hire Thais that speak all the languages, or can you?

I understand the Thai mentality on this, but how would legitimate tour companies get Russian speaking tour guides, or any other nationality tour guides as applicable? You can't really expect to hire Thais that speak all the languages, or can you?

They just need to hire one language guides, besides Thai of course. And there are plenty of those around.

Why Are they doing the job if there are qualified and capable thai nationals? Or the agency like to spend more money and take such a risk "breaking kabour rule/law" ?

Can the Dept of Labour tell us how many qualified Russian Speaking Thai National tour guides?

Well, one of the Thai girls in my local 7/11 speaks fluent Russian and English. She deals with all of the Russian customers. So I guess there is possibly more than one Thai Russian speaker in Thailand.

She is in the wrong job.

Edited by blackcab

You can expect it but you may not get what you want

I wonder how the foreign waitstaff at Hooters Pattaya managed to secure work permits if being a tour guide is reserved for Thais; surely bar staff is a protected occupation no?

Hooters couldn't find Thai women with the right qualifications :)

As long as Thais aren't able to speak proper English, Russian or Chinese they need to hire native speakers to fill the gap. Even most of the university students are NOT able to speak a foreign language but the tour companies need translators. How can Thais protest that foreigners stealing their jobs? That's ridiculous

I wonder how the foreign waitstaff at Hooters Pattaya managed to secure work permits if being a tour guide is reserved for Thais; surely bar staff is a protected occupation no?

How about the Russian strip dancers at the club owned by Thaksin's son in Pattaya ? They have work permits.

As long as Thais aren't able to speak proper English, Russian or Chinese they need to hire native speakers to fill the gap. Even most of the university students are NOT able to speak a foreign language but the tour companies need translators. How can Thais protest that foreigners stealing their jobs? That's ridiculous

Wonder if they protest using the Russian language? Ummmm

Here we go again......sad.png

"But how many Thais can speak Russian/Chinese/English''......ad nauseum....

That doesn't matter. The issue is they were working illegally. Period.

How the tourist industry problem solves it's language challenges is one thing. People knowingly ignoring the law is another. Just a shame laws are enforced with so non conformity.

It is protected. So it would be interesting indeed to see what visas, extensions they had and what the WP was issued for,

It is protected. So it would be interesting indeed to see what visas, extensions they had and what the WP was issued for,

Maybe listed as, "entertainers" or models.

There are plenty of Russian and Chinese speaking guides available.

There are plenty of Russian and Chinese speaking guides available.

And even if the pool of Russian speaking Thais was too small, the big Russian tour companies (anex, coral, etc) could underwrite a few months of language training for locals with the promise of a full-time job when training is completed. Surely these companies understand the concept of employee development and training?

I agree, if th companies can save some money and hire people without permits they will do it , no morals , its abbout just saving money and make an easy profit.

The lingua franca of the world is English. The language of Thailand is Thai. The unbridled arrogance of the Russians is sickening. whole areas such as cozy beach have Russian signage, Russian menus and pictures of Russian murderers like Lenin. I never go to a restaurant wit a Russian menu because the Thai food will be bland and tasteless. no name Jim just international cayenne sauce. there are 10 illegal operators on cozy beach road - all taking Thai jobs.