How do you deal with small change scams?

yoslim

I once asked my GF "How many baht does it take to make 1 million baht?". Many of you may not be surprised to learn that she did not know (yeah she got her degree, which I think was in "how to ignore teacher and play games and gossip all the way through the lesson"...Oh!..."and farmiiing").

I have my coin jar like many, and would sometimes just take a handful to leave as a tip somewhere. I was amazed that they perceive this as more valuable than a 20 or 50 baht note and they scramble all over it like feed grain in a trough. This had me curious, so one time at a restaurant that I frequented I purposefully left a 500 baht tip (just as a social experiment you understand - I don't do that any other time). They called me back saying it must be an error. I told them it was not an error, I thought the service was great. I got a response to the effect of "uhh thanks" with a confused look.

I'm sure many of us were given the mantra as kids something like "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves". GF now has a piece of bamboo with a slot in it (basically a piggy bank), and she takes all my 5 and 10 baht coins. It weighed about a Kilo within about 10 days. Although this request felt to me more like a demand, she refused 2 baht and smaller denominations on the grounds of it filling up too quickly (piggy bank too small enough, is what I'd call it, not the coins too big enough).

I'm in the camp that says any amount of cash is still cash, although I admit that the satang is a little out of date for practical use as cash (though not digital transfers). Then again I saw a news report linked by this very website just yesterday stating that "Oil prices to go up 40-60 satang tomorrow" (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/902278-oil-prices-to-go-up-40-60-satang-tomorrow/) - so it matters to big business, why not us peasants on the ground? If it were not for them being legal tender and the consequences of damaging them, I'd melt them down for their scrap value, which I imagine would likely be more than their face value.

Those 7Eleven stamps must cost more than their face value, yet the GF relishes those (despite them sticking to each other before you get to attach them to the card that comes with them). I look at the stamps and I look at the satang and think "what the heck is the style of logic in use here?". To me the stamps are something you give to your toddler as an educational lesson, but watching it in practise with adults I'm not so sure right now.

{Edit:] Afterthought - perhaps them scrambling all over small coins is nothing to do with the money, but some form of play, whereas with a note, what can you do with it other than give it to someone else to worry about?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good God, it's less than one cent.

Get a grip, or go home.

A member of the "if you don't like it or go home" brigade has appeared again, I wish he would go home.

I'm sure you find it annoying. Many people confronted by the obvious solution to a problem resent its simplicity.

If someone finds life in one place an endless cause for stress and whining, moving to a different location seems the most sensible thing to do.

If you sit down on an uncomfortable chair and someone suggests you move to another chair, do you remain stubbornly seated and treat everyone to a load of blather about the declining standards in chair construction?

Yes, about a cent and a half, no big thing, but

Multiply that by 100's of thousands in a month

And over a year you are talking about another

SCAM! Do the math!

And if you multiply it by a bazillion, you're really talking big bucks.

I can almost picture the 7/Eleven cashiers on break in the backroom sharing stories about how they netted 50 satang from some clueless farang.

In western countries there is often a small tray near a cashier where you can take a few pennies or leave a few to make life simpler when paying a restaurant bill or whatever. It's a way of dealing with a trivial annoyance without turning it into a human rights issue.

bestowment.jpg

Yes, about a cent and a half, no big thing, but

Multiply that by 100's of thousands in a month

And over a year you are talking about another

SCAM! Do the math!

And if you multiply it by a bazillion, you're really talking big bucks.

I can almost picture the 7/Eleven cashiers on break in the backroom sharing stories about how they netted 50 satang from some clueless farang.

In western countries there is often a small tray near a cashier where you can take a few pennies or leave a few to make life simpler when paying a restaurant bill or whatever. It's a way of dealing with a trivial annoyance without turning it into a human rights issue.

bestowment.jpg

Those trays are very common in USA.

I probably leave more than I take....but I will utilize a few pennies out of there when it is convenient.

I have seen people scoop everything out of that tray, then go to their pocket to get the rest.

If they are that destitute, then they should use it...otherwise, if they are just that parsimonious, I would hate to have their life.

Yep...if they are on the "standard" 300 THB/day "salary", they increased their take home by a whopping 0.17%

I'm sure you find it annoying. Many people confronted by the obvious solution to a problem resent its simplicity.

If someone finds life in one place an endless cause for stress and whining, moving to a different location seems the most sensible thing to do.

If you sit down on an uncomfortable chair and someone suggests you move to another chair, do you remain stubbornly seated and treat everyone to a load of blather about the declining standards in chair construction?

For many on Thaivisa, you'd need a slightly different analogy:

"This chair is uncomfortable, I wonder what we could do to fix it?"

"If you can't accept it, GO HOME!"

There was a case 20 odd years ago where a department store in BKK was pricing goods in fractions of Baht and instead of giving the correct coins as change, gave customers a stick of chewing gum.

One customer took offence and demanded either the correct change or that they round the price down. The store refused. The customer was a lawyer and he went to the police and forced them to charge the store with counterfeiting Thai currency.

Of course the amount to us is meaningless. Those coins aren't even worth the effort of picking them up. But for a business doing a large number of transactions, the numbers will be significant.

If a business doesn't intend giving the correct change, they should round down in every case. Otherwise it is deceptive.

Though I'm too apathetic myself, I'm glad there are people in the world like that lawyer that make the effort to keep businesses honest.

I generally don't bother with the gold 25 and 50 satang coins and either give them back to the cashier or toss them away.

...any temple would greatly appreciate the coins..or even poor folk in the street.

That's why I toss them ?

l've seen a jar near the cash register for loose Satangs that was being collected for the Rice Farmers.

How many people, when the cashier makes a mistake and gives too much change, point out the mistake and give the excess back?

I would guess most do not...probably the "it's the principle" types, more than others.

I gave back 100 baht to cashier at 7/11 on Soi Kopai, and nobody wanted to talk to me about it, like they were all scared, ran to back room , I didn't even get a thank you, but that wouldn't stop me , doing it again.

Get a grip, or go home.

Its not the point, they are stealing.

It's the principle, not the money.

you guys are amazing. Drive across town and spend more money based on principle.

Get a grip, or go home.

it has nothing to do with the amount involved.

I bet you you have never started a business from absolute scratch.

if you did you wouldn't last five minutes with that kind of attitude

Are you joking, it's less than one cent probably once a day.

And yes I have started a business from absolute scratch, it made me realise to concentrate on important things that make me money, not worry about 1 cents.

I live in a 20 million Baht house, so I guess I did ok. Pics are in the house section of the real estate section if you want to have a look.

Obviously if you are worried about 1 cents you aren't going too well.

But aren’t you a financial adviser?ermm.gif

I’m sure I remember reading that in another thread and you don’t like keeping big money in the bank but you do like to rely on credit cards and overdrafts so I’m afraid our way of thinking is absolutely poles apart.

And what kind of issues were so important to concentrate on in your business that you don’t or didn’t care about achieving or saving the last one cent? Surely wasn’t that your duty and obligation to each one of your clients i.e. to respect their money right down to the last cent?huh.png

Please don’t give me any financial advicecheesy.gif

Always ask for a receipt. Don't move from the register until you have examined the receipt and your change. If there is a problem, show the clerk the receipt and the change that person handed to you. If you get the run around, stay where you are and ask for the Mgr. to do an inventory of the register. That is very time consuming so in most cases you will get the reminder handed to you.

If you still get the run around tell them you are calling the Police. If you still get the run around, call the Police and don't move from the register. As silly as these sounds, you will then get the correct change and push that scam back in their faces. Of course on small amounts you might just consider the rip off charity.

I've been here for 9 years and never had a problem with being short changed until this year. A week doesn't go by where I have to argue with a clerk or a waitress.

Be real careful with 500 THB and 1000 THB notes. When I hand them to a waiter or waitress I remind them what I am handing them. I even put my initials and date on the note in case I have to have a cash register inventory or pocket check done.

Remember, always ask for a receipt, even at the clinics and check your change.

When going through the BTS station or MRT change a 1000 THN note and always have 10 baht coins, and notes in 50’s and 100’s. Most of the taxi drivers always allege no change. Now it’s hard to get them to turn on the meter and if they do, it is either no change or they hold back some cash looking for a tip. Always give them the exact change. Don’t argue with them. If there is a problem pay them and snap a photo of the driver as you are exiting and a photo of the license plate as they drive away and report the incident. They may pull over and pay you or worse!cheesy.gif

Money is drying up from inflation, higher taxes and more, so expect more of this. People who are hungry have nothing to lose!coffee1.gif

Wow. No wonder some of them think foreigners are crazy. If I ever have this much time on my hands someone please shoot me. And if you are in front of me in line will you just accept the money that you thought you were ripped off from me so we can all move along with our day?

I use the 7-11 card which avoids these satang issues but inevitably I end up with them from other outlets. When I empty my pockets at night they go into a tub. After a year that tub is given to my maid as an extra bonus.

Get a grip, or go home.

it has nothing to do with the amount involved.

I bet you you have never started a business from absolute scratch.

if you did you wouldn't last five minutes with that kind of attitude

Are you joking, it's less than one cent probably once a day.

And yes I have started a business from absolute scratch, it made me realise to concentrate on important things that make me money, not worry about 1 cents.

I live in a 20 million Baht house, so I guess I did ok. Pics are in the house section of the real estate section if you want to have a look.

Obviously if you are worried about 1 cents you aren't going too well.

Pff. .. Naam has servants quarters larger than what you call a house!

Should not have thrown away those satangs!

ToT and PEA do round to the nearest Baht.

At the 7/11 you often get those nasty "stamps" instead of the satangs.

I can not confirm that it is a general practice at Tesco or 7/11 to not return the satangs.

Maybe due to the fact that mostly I (!) give the satangs.

I am the farang baba who has a little bag with all kind of coins tongue.png

Always worth a smile/head scratch when I pay to the satang or add coins to a note bigger than the amount.

I find that amusing because I always shared your view about those "nasty stamps", However a former girlfriend always insisted on collecting them and got cross with me if I forgot. Then, when we visited her family in Issan, she took a couple of rucksacks and colouring books for the kids - got by exchanging the stamps. I was suitably abashed! We do look at things differently to the Thais - one of the reasons (IMO) why they think we're all rich...because....compared to them....many of us are!

my wife and her sister saved the stamps and same thing got upset with me if I forget them or throw them away. Next thing I know they are ordering plastic food storage container from the stamps, so not a bad idea. When growing up in the States some of the stores used to give you stamps and same thing you could turn them in for things.

As for the satangs I dont think it's a scam. As some of the posters here mentioned if you are really that worried about a satang maybe it's time to really take a look at your current situation. I do understand some posters feel they are always being ripped off and no matter what you say they wont change their mind and they will stay that bitter old man living in Thailand.

I use the 7-11 card which avoids these satang issues but inevitably I end up with them from other outlets. When I empty my pockets at night they go into a tub. After a year that tub is given to my maid as an extra bonus.

how generous of you!

I put nearly ALL of the coins i get into a big glass jar....last year I took it to Chiang Rai high school to one of my classes and let the kids all pass it around and make a guess as to how much in the jar. I added in a few 100 baht notes as well. Kids loved it and in the end turns out there was little over 1000 baht . The winner was VERY happy to get the jar full of baht.

I buy milk at the CP shop and many times i grab a handfull of coins to pay and sometimes only have 90 or 91 in coins. They always take it, even is it's a baht or so short. Also marketvendors take 1 or 2 baht less.

The satang coins are very annoying to have, they always drop on the floor when i get my keys out.

Archived