How do you deal with small change scams?

yoslim

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally don't bother with the gold 25 and 50 satang coins and either give them back to the cashier or toss them away.

...any temple would greatly appreciate the coins..or even poor folk in the street.

Good God, it's less than one cent.

Get a grip, or go home.

it has nothing to do with the amount involved.

I bet you you have never started a business from absolute scratch.

if you did you wouldn't last five minutes with that kind of attitude

Are you joking, it's less than one cent probably once a day.

And yes I have started a business from absolute scratch, it made me realise to concentrate on important things that make me money, not worry about 1 cents.

I live in a 20 million Baht house, so I guess I did ok. Pics are in the house section of the real estate section if you want to have a look.

Obviously if you are worried about 1 cents you aren't going too well.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

I don't think you did that well. You live in Thailand and you are bragging what realy is a 500k house. If you were born in your native first world country and you are actually retired it is actually pretty shameful to brag about something like this.

Yeah, if you would have spent your time recovering all those satangs; why, you could have a B501k house now, couldn't you?

I generally don't bother with the gold 25 and 50 satang coins and either give them back to the cashier or toss them away.

Perhaps the cashiers are expecting all farangs to do the same.

I don't know about that but what if we all did...do you think it would even add up to even 100 baht per day? That's not much divided between a 4-6 person crew.

Get a grip, or go home.

And yes I have started a business from absolute scratch, it made me realise to concentrate on important things that make me money, not worry about 1 cents.

I live in a 20 million Baht house, so I guess I did ok. Pics are in the house section of the real estate section if you want to have a look.

This thread is not about the amount it is about the honesty of receiving the correct change. It is most certainly not about how rich YOU think you are.

Any good BUSINESSMAN would KNOW how important it is to be honest to your customers.

at least here they have coins so that you can pay 25 or 75 satangs. in australia, the smallest coin we have is 5 cents. so at the supermarket, you'll see items on the shelf that cost $1.98. never $1.97 so it can be rounded down. yeah right, thats thievery. why do i live in thailand and not australia again? clap2.gif

Get a grip, or go home.

Its not the point, they are stealing.

It's the principle, not the money.

If you feel so strongly about the issue, you could ask to speak to the manager on duty; also, I bet 7-11 has a customer service phone line and/or email for questions or complaints. You could use these channels to make your concerns known.

Being short Baht 1 is nothing no one could argue with that but you are dealing with a business. If you bought something for Baht 21 and gave 20 would the shop let you have the product? I doubt it so why should you let them take the extra?

I once had this in a gold shop. Bought some gold for my wife and the assistant came back with, yes, a lousy Baht 1 short. Money of this denomination I usually throw in a box and forget about it. But this time I pointed it out to her. She replied "It is nothing" to which my response was "I agree it is nothing but to you it is a lot less than nothing so I will have the extra Baht if you don't mind" she gave it me but it wasn't the money it was her attitude that she couldn't be bothered.

Same with banks when they round up to the nearest unit. 0.1 cent or equivalent is nothing but you get a million people all paying that bit over the odds and it mounts up. I cant remember the name but there was a movie of some hackers that worked out there was millions of dollars that were in banks but unaccounted for due to this practice and they decided to help themselves.

None of the clerks in the convenience stores I frequent are Rhodes scholars. Too <deleted> dumb to figure out what coins are needed to make up the correct change as shown on the register. I do not have time for small denomination coins - more damned trouble than they are worth. Same with the stamps. Yes I have started businesses from scratch and one did fail. It wasn't because I was missing a few pennies though.

Get a grip, or go home.

Irrespective as to how you feel about small amounts the fact is it is your money and it should be your decision if you are going to pay more. I often tell cashiers to keep the change as I don't like to carry too much coin.

Ohh, I don't live in a 20M house. I never think about where I live as having a monetary value. Because I have to live somewhere.

Have a great day fellas

Always ask for a receipt. Don't move from the register until you have examined the receipt and your change. If there is a problem, show the clerk the receipt and the change that person handed to you. If you get the run around, stay where you are and ask for the Mgr. to do an inventory of the register. That is very time consuming so in most cases you will get the reminder handed to you.

If you still get the run around tell them you are calling the Police. If you still get the run around, call the Police and don't move from the register. As silly as these sounds, you will then get the correct change and push that scam back in their faces. Of course on small amounts you might just consider the rip off charity.

I've been here for 9 years and never had a problem with being short changed until this year. A week doesn't go by where I have to argue with a clerk or a waitress.

Be real careful with 500 THB and 1000 THB notes. When I hand them to a waiter or waitress I remind them what I am handing them. I even put my initials and date on the note in case I have to have a cash register inventory or pocket check done.

Remember, always ask for a receipt, even at the clinics and check your change.

When going through the BTS station or MRT change a 1000 THN note and always have 10 baht coins, and notes in 50’s and 100’s. Most of the taxi drivers always allege no change. Now it’s hard to get them to turn on the meter and if they do, it is either no change or they hold back some cash looking for a tip. Always give them the exact change. Don’t argue with them. If there is a problem pay them and snap a photo of the driver as you are exiting and a photo of the license plate as they drive away and report the incident. They may pull over and pay you or worse!cheesy.gif

Money is drying up from inflation, higher taxes and more, so expect more of this. People who are hungry have nothing to lose!coffee1.gif

I would consider that i had real financial problem if i had to worry about that kind of small change.In our local Lotus the girls either round it up or down to the nearest baht.A few stang here,a few stang there what does it matter???The OP must have a really thrilling life,counting all the stang he's been 'scammed out of'

Thai restaurant with two Thai friends, Seafood place across from the

Aquarium on Suk...drink on menu clearly marked B30...Bill B60...

Deliberate overcharge, when confronted the Hostess tried to say

"price changed". Caught as a thief, menu B30.... We will never

Return...bill was B750....Tip B10!!!!!!

Get a grip, or go home.

It's mostly the farang problem with loss of face. Many feel emotionally challenged by the thought that someone might be taking them for a fool and gaining $0.01 off of them. The usual comment is "it's the principle, not the money," When you hear that, you know Khun Farang is worried about loss of face.

Personally if I were worried about loss of face, it would be because I felt a fool making a big deal out of one or two baht. If I found myself throwing a hissy fit over 25 satang, I'd ask someone to remove any sharp objects within my reach and start sleeping with a night light on.

Can't say that I've notice being short-changed but have, on several occasions, been given too much money back in error.

Quite often when buying things in the local market or paying for things like laundry or home water delivery, if the total comes to an amount like Baht 515 or Baht 105, they just want Baht 500 or Baht 100 to save the bother of fishing around for loose change. And if it works the other way around, I have no problem rounding up a bit to save them the bother of finding a few small coins for me.

When some people post about "scams," especially those resulting in losses measured in satang, I hope that's it meant as a joke made to stir the pot. I fear that sometimes it's all too real.

I can't be bothered about them and certainly don't get stressed if the cashier comes up 25 satang short. I could not care less if the shop makes an extra cent off of me or even if the cashier pockets it. In fact, I hope it is the latter.

Often there is some sort of donation box next to the cashier and I always toss satang pieces into those when I get some back in change.

Get a grip, or go home.

I agree - it's the principle rather than the amount - as it happens I don't keep the "shrapnel" either but as the customer, that's my decision to make not theirs.

I just wonder if certain retail outlets just assume that foreigners don't care about the odd few Satang?

Actually, I've often wished that 7/11 and Family Mart stores had charity boxes so customers who wish to, can drop odd change in.

I did see a "tip" jar for the cashiers once at a family mart. I thought that was a little cheeky...don't think it is company policy...just a couple clerks who had gone rogue.

Family Mart???? That's the chain who are to mean to turn up their refrigerators so we can have a "chilled" drink. Stick to 7-11.

ummmm ....... a "scam" that could net - at most - 25 baht split between 5 or 6 staff daily assuming 100 foreigners were shortchanged each by 25 satang ? Not much of a scam.

Lol! cheesy.gif

You know, I rather think that because there are so many scams in Thailand (especially places that Farang frequent) there are some people who are a tad over-sensitive and any mistake, even an honest one, becomes a scam. Conspiracy theory anyone?

Many people are quick to call something a "scam", when they do not even know what the word means.

Think about how many times you pay for a small purchase with a 100 baht note, and the seller has to use a calculator to figure your change.

I would say there are a lot more mistakes made than deliberate rip-offs, especially when dealing with such trivial amounts.

I always want the correct change here in Thailand,at home in Ireland most shops will say thats ok even as much as 1 euro and no fuss.I have a girlfriend here who has a small daughter and so i save all the small change in a jar and give it to her,and its normally around 5 or 6 hundred,rather her have the benifit and she has a bit of something in her pocket.

My Gf went to the movies recently. She bought three tickets for 180b ea. Was walked over to the ticket dispenser. The employee punched in 160b for ea ticket. My Gf called them on it and she was given back 60b....now, the cinema was fairly full so she asked other people how much they had paid for there tickets.....180b......hmmm.

Happens all the time...so get used to it ...even if you are trying to make a point...which we all get and understand more than well enough

It is when there is several hundred baht involved or several thousand baht involved is when you get angry and threaten to go berserk on them....w00t.gif

Just kidding.....but taxi cab drivers that do not have proper change or store clerks that make mistakes sometimes have to be politely told that they made a mistake and you politely ask them to correct the mistake.

I have had it happen at 7/11 several times where the change for a 1000 baht note was wrong and I pointed out their mistake and then they realized I was correct and it was a whole lot of sorry ...sorry ...sorry....but you always walk away wondering if the Thai person was trying to scam you...maybe ...possibly....could be.....

Meantime...the usual rule of thumb here in Thailand is:

They will not short change you but they will, all too often, try to over charge you.....and they do.......oh boy they most certainly do...here, there and everywhere.

Cheers

Archived