How do you deal with small change scams?

yoslim

some items such as milk are priced in satangs at 7/11 or tesco express. now more than once did they not give me the correct change back (0.75 baht missing). I did not want to make a fuss about it but now I just avoid buying such items there and go to bigC or friendship market where they always give me the correct change back. I'm the only one who got scammed like this and how did you deal with it? bah.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It don't happen often but I always just point it out to them on the spot....then they give me the correct change. The most recent two events (both a few months ago but a few days apart) was at a McDonald's drive- through and within the store. The drive-through shorted me 100 baht and the in store was 20 baht....I always glance quickly at the change given as it's usually real easy to confirm quickly if the change is correct...these two cases I easily spotted...called the clerk back...pointed out the error by showing them the change given and they made up the shortfall without arguing.

Used to pay internet through BBank and they would always round up to the nearest baht, something like 75 satang worth. I hate shrapnel as a rule but will be b*ggered if the bank (that one especially) is shorting me whatever amount, so would point it out. Cheeky, greedy F*****s! smile.png

Now 7-11 does do some rounding-up on bill payments, or at least my water bill payment they do. That's the only bill I pay at 7-11 as I do all my other bill payments using Bangkok Bank ibanking.

Anyway, from looking at my last few receipts from 7-11 (and I use two different ones) for my water bill payment, when they scan the bill bar code it automatically rounds up by a small amount before adding their 10 baht payment fee....no clerk intervention...just the scanning of the bill and the amount due appearing on the screen in split second.

For example, my last water bill was for 264.93...but when scanned the 7-11 charge is 265.00 plus 10 baht. Another bill was 237.17 but 7-11 rounded up to 237.25 plus the 10 baht fee.

I keep about six months worth of paid bills/receipits and they did rounding-up on each occasion...the rounding seems to occur to the nearest "quarter-baht/25 stang." And on my next bill I don't have any credit of a few stang from the water company for paying a few extra stang so I guess 7-11 is pocketing/keeping the difference. Although just a few stang when done tens or hundredths of thousands of times per day across Thailand in 7-11's it adds up to some real baht. I've never asked about this as I'm sure they would just say that's how their bill payment system works.

Once again, I can not say if that rounding-up occurs for other types of bills as I only pay one bill at 7-11 which is my water bill from the water authority/company for Bangkok metropolitan area.

Good God, it's less than one cent.

Get a grip, or go home.

it has nothing to do with the amount involved.

I bet you you have never started a business from absolute scratch.

if you did you wouldn't last five minutes with that kind of attitude

Get a grip, or go home.

I agree - it's the principle rather than the amount - as it happens I don't keep the "shrapnel" either but as the customer, that's my decision to make not theirs.

I just wonder if certain retail outlets just assume that foreigners don't care about the odd few Satang?

Actually, I've often wished that 7/11 and Family Mart stores had charity boxes so customers who wish to, can drop odd change in.

Get a grip, or go home.

I agree - it's the principle rather than the amount - as it happens I don't keep the "shrapnel" either but as the customer, that's my decision to make not theirs.

I just wonder if certain retail outlets just assume that foreigners don't care about the odd few Satang?

Actually, I've often wished that 7/11 and Family Mart stores had charity boxes so customers who wish to, can drop odd change in.

I did see a "tip" jar for the cashiers once at a family mart. I thought that was a little cheeky...don't think it is company policy...just a couple clerks who had gone rogue.

Get a grip, or go home.

how many times have you seen the retailers saying to the customer " never mind about paying the 25 or 50 satang "?giggle.gif

Even Central Food Hall Pattaya Beach insist on receiving every satang even when the bill is over 1000 baht.

I buy large bottles of Meiji milk which are 91.75 everywhere. Nowhere will allow you to have it for 91

So because it seems so important for 711 and Central to receive their shrapnel I save batches of 1.75

so I can go in and give them the exact moneytongue.png

Get a grip, or go home.

Are you joking, it's less than one cent probably once a day.

And yes I have started a business from absolute scratch, it made me realise to concentrate on important things that make me money, not worry about 1 cents.

I live in a 20 million Baht house, so I guess I did ok. Pics are in the house section of the real estate section if you want to have a look.

Obviously if you are worried about 1 cents you aren't going too well.

Get a grip, or go home.

I did see a "tip" jar for the cashiers once at a family mart. I thought that was a little cheeky...don't think it is company policy...just a couple clerks who had gone rogue.

ToT and PEA do round to the nearest Baht.

At the 7/11 you often get those nasty "stamps" instead of the satangs.

I can not confirm that it is a general practice at Tesco or 7/11 to not return the satangs.

Maybe due to the fact that mostly I (!) give the satangs.

I am the farang baba who has a little bag with all kind of coins tongue.png

Always worth a smile/head scratch when I pay to the satang or add coins to a note bigger than the amount.

Get a grip, or go home.

Actually, I do believe I saw that in Pattaya a couple of months ago - corner of Soi Bukaou and Soi Lengkee as I recall. Gave me a laugh anyway!

I don't consider it a scam if it's about satangs.

When I get satangs in change, I just leave them on the counter.

I hope they don't think it's a tip.

Well if you leave them on the counter, I would expect the staff to think just that.

I bet that they get treated as tips, (ie the staff pocket them) whatever your intentions.

Do you mind.....really?

That's not really what I meant.

I don't care if they pocket that tiny money.

I meant that IF I was going to tip retail clerks (which is not something I would do) it would be insulting to leave under one baht!

The reason I leave satang is that I don't ever use satang to buy anything. So it's either leave them there, in a forever vase at home, or the trash. Leaving them there seems to be the most efficient.

I wouldn't even burden baht bus drivers with satang ... but I have to admit it might be fun to see how they would react to be paid with them!

That's not really what I meant.

I don't care if they pocket that tiny money.

I meant that IF I was going to tip retail clerks (which is not something I would do) it would be insulting to leave under one baht!

The reason I leave satang is that I don't ever use satang to buy anything. So it's either leave them there, in a forever vase at home, or the trash. Leaving them there seems to be the most efficient.

I wouldn't even burden baht bus drivers with satang ... but I have to admit it might be fun to see how they would react to be paid with them!

Ahhhh....... I see - maybe I misunderstood your post. I quite agree with you!

As for baht bus drivers - they don't even like being given ten 1 Baht coins (even if you were previously given them by a fellow baht bus driver) so I don't think I'll try offering them Satang!whistling.gif

ummmm ....... a "scam" that could net - at most - 25 baht split between 5 or 6 staff daily assuming 100 foreigners were shortchanged each by 25 satang ? Not much of a scam.

Lol! cheesy.gif

You know, I rather think that because there are so many scams in Thailand (especially places that Farang frequent) there are some people who are a tad over-sensitive and any mistake, even an honest one, becomes a scam. Conspiracy theory anyone?

ToT and PEA do round to the nearest Baht.

At the 7/11 you often get those nasty "stamps" instead of the satangs.

I can not confirm that it is a general practice at Tesco or 7/11 to not return the satangs.

Maybe due to the fact that mostly I (!) give the satangs.

I am the farang baba who has a little bag with all kind of coins tongue.png

Always worth a smile/head scratch when I pay to the satang or add coins to a note bigger than the amount.

I find that amusing because I always shared your view about those "nasty stamps", However a former girlfriend always insisted on collecting them and got cross with me if I forgot. Then, when we visited her family in Issan, she took a couple of rucksacks and colouring books for the kids - got by exchanging the stamps. I was suitably abashed! We do look at things differently to the Thais - one of the reasons (IMO) why they think we're all rich...because....compared to them....many of us are!

how many times have you seen the retailers saying to the customer " never mind about paying the 25 or 50 satang "?giggle.gif

Even Central Food Hall Pattaya Beach insist on receiving every satang even when the bill is over 1000 baht.

I buy large bottles of Meiji milk which are 91.75 everywhere. Nowhere will allow you to have it for 91

So because it seems so important for 711 and Central to receive their shrapnel I save batches of 1.75

so I can go in and give them the exact moneytongue.png

Well I think if you're 7-11 or Central and selling tens or hundreds of thousands of bottles of milk (not to mention all their other stuff) per day then those satangs do add up to real money. However, for the average consumer and the amounts they purchase, even if the price were rounded down, the savings would be de minimis.

I have found a way to use up all my one baht coins ,at the drinking water dispenser machine .I just got an idea now to keep a few santang in my pocket for milk purchase etc.The stamps are just an annoyance to me .

Is it too difficult to have a 25 and a 50 satang in your pocket, then no matter what the price you can give them the dammned things and save yourself a heart attack.

Many 7/11's round up from 50 and down from 25, easy come easy go, win some lose some.

Jeez, it's Friday 13th not April 1st!

I have found a way to use up all my one baht coins ,at the drinking water dispenser machine .I just got an idea now to keep a few santang in my pocket for milk purchase etc.The stamps are just an annoyance to me .

And what exactly does that have to do with 25 and 50 satang coins?

And what exactly does that have to do with 25 and 50 satang coins?

OK you dont get it .Never mind .

Get a grip, or go home.

Are you joking, it's less than one cent probably once a day.

And yes I have started a business from absolute scratch, it made me realise to concentrate on important things that make me money, not worry about 1 cents.

I live in a 20 million Baht house, so I guess I did ok. Pics are in the house section of the real estate section if you want to have a look.

Obviously if you are worried about 1 cents you aren't going too well.

cheesy.gifclap2.gif

I don't think you did that well. You live in Thailand and you are bragging what realy is a 500k house. If you were born in your native first world country and you are actually retired it is actually pretty shameful to brag about something like this.

Keep detailed records... perhaps even video and photos....

See if you can get interviews with staff members

Once you have compiled all the relevant data, there are a few things you can do with it....

~sic~

Archived