Importing A Kangaroo

saraburioz

Well many of you jest, but no reason at all why not to have one, you can own a monkey, why not a roo here.

Perfectly legitimate enquiry and I have a very large graden and would love to see a roo laying in the sun, eating the grass and playing with the kids.

Apart from the protected species thingy.

Hasn't there been enough adverse publicity about this type thing recently?. :o

Cheers,

Couthy.

Are these post-9005-1162888322_thumb.jpg quokkas better deep fried or grilled? :D

They make great crayfish bait... so I'm told... :o

Could you ask your "source" how they run the fish hook through them? Through the eyes?

*laugingly picked out the cutest, gosh-darn-it-sweetest-looking, most huggable-looking, most innocent-looking quokka pic I could have found*

Apparently they sit quietly at the bottom of a cray pot... on the bottom of the sea floor... irresistable to crayfish.

:D

No hooks required.

Only joshin... it's a stock standard Western Australian cray fisherman's joke... :D

oh ok.. thanks for the insider truth. Guess we're back to just frying small pieces of their flesh..

No use them as cray bait. They have been tenderised by the school leavers playing quokka soccer about this time of year, and the cray season is about to open. You will get more eating off the crays than the quokka. The good meat comes from the larger roos (tastes better too :D ), not the things the Dutch confused for rats a couple of centuries ago.

Well many of you jest, but no reason at all why not to have one, you can own a monkey, why not a roo here.

Perfectly legitimate enquiry and I have a very large graden and would love to see a roo laying in the sun, eating the grass and playing with the kids.

Apart from the protected species thingy.

Large Garden? How large, paddock large? lol. How big is your garden fence? :o

Are these post-9005-1162888322_thumb.jpg quokkas better deep fried or grilled? :D

Could you ask your "source" how they run the fish hook through them? Through the eyes?

*laugingly picked out the cutest, gosh-darn-it-sweetest-looking, most huggable-looking, most innocent-looking quokka pic I could have found*

Apparently they sit quietly at the bottom of a cray pot... on the bottom of the sea floor... irresistable to crayfish.

No hooks required.

Only joshin... it's a stock standard Western Australian cray fisherman's joke... :D

oh ok.. thanks for the insider truth. Guess we're back to just frying small pieces of their flesh..

No use them as cray bait. They have been tenderised by the school leavers playing quokka soccer about this time of year, and the cray season is about to open. You will get more eating off the crays than the quokka. The good meat comes from the larger roos (tastes better too :D ), not the things the Dutch confused for rats a couple of centuries ago.

One of those little bastards bit me on the finger once! Bloody hurt! Cray bait is too good for them! :D

No hooks required.

One of those little bastards bit me on the finger once! Bloody hurt! Cray bait is too good for them! :D

lol, one must ask what you were doing to warrant a bite from a quokka, were you trying to put it in a cray pot?

lol, one must ask what you were doing to warrant a bite from a quokka, were you trying to put it in a cray pot?

It probably had good reason to be pissed off. It was in a cage at someones house. He had stolen it from Rotto. I was silly enough to try and pat it. :o

No hooks required.

ahh ... ok, thanks for the additional tips...

now, since we're on the subject of Australian meat products, how about wombat? Any good pointers or recipes for them?

For the record - no, there are no restrictions preventing the importation of kangaroos to Thailand. Just need to be certified diesese free, but they present no threat to any indigenous animal which is what the legislation is all about.

You'd have a heavy fencing bill I would think, but quite how you'd make a business out of it I just don;t know. My wife laughed her head off when I asked her if she thought the locals would be partial to "roo fried rice" or some other similar dish.

I just can't see it working in the long run

Tim

It probably had good reason to be pissed off. It was in a cage at someones house. He had stolen it from Rotto. I was silly enough to try and pat it. :o

that's funny. I won't ask how he managed to smuggle it off rotto then.

In answer to Maize farmer, I am sure there would be a market for it if someone was serious, or silly enough to want to try. I mean look at how many drunken farang eat scorpian and fried bugs from the little stall on Khao San Road at 2am. Imagine a bit of fried roo leg, would go down a treat after a few singahs and buckets. You could make a tasty profit. mmmmmmm :D

As a novelty food for the ex-pat market - yes, sure, but would one be able to sustain it as a business venture, and get the Thai's to climb on board as well.

They dont cost much to breed do they - I mean this is an animal which will live off the bush won't it?

Would it be as simple as a large fenced off area, which one can just drive around in on slaughter day?

I simply dont know, but if the costs are low, why not - one wouldnt be risking too much would they?

Tim

It would be a great tourist attraction, just make sure to keep the bucks seperate from the public when they get horny. (The male roo, that is) :o

A male roo , if pissed off, can disembowel you.....

post-2707-1162920579_thumb.jpg

I'd stick to Wallabies, smaller, easier to handle and look like roos. IF you're serious. :D

As a novelty food for the ex-pat market - yes, sure, but would one be able to sustain it as a business venture, and get the Thai's to climb on board as well.

They dont cost much to breed do they - I mean this is an animal which will live off the bush won't it?

Would it be as simple as a large fenced off area, which one can just drive around in on slaughter day?

I simply dont know, but if the costs are low, why not - one wouldnt be risking too much would they?

Tim

Sounds good to me Tim. We could breed them up to 1,000 kilos. Turn them black and enter them into the CAB programme. Might have to think about re-enforcing the 4x4's though! :o

Regards

I want, or rather my wife wants, to import a kangaroo or two. Has anyone any experience in doing this, or can offer any advice?

We own nearly 5,000 rai of land in various parts of the country and she is thinking of setting up a zoo on one of the estates.

:o

Just so long as you keep them on the estates. Don't need any soi roos.

When I was a kid, I always enjoyed 'Skippy' ...... I only learned later that 'Skippy' was not really a Roo, just the smaller wannnabe version.

Can Roo's really drive yutes, operate radios and assist in helicopter repair? ...... especially if there is a small boy trapped down a well.

"What's that Skip?.... Sonny has broken his leg.... What happened?"

"........ cth ....... cth..... cth"

"where is he?"

"Roight.... teak dis raydeeyo to heem"

(no insult intended to my Aussie brothers, that's just the way you were portrayed all those years ago)

We own nearly 5,000 rai of land in various parts of the country and she is thinking of setting up a zoo on one of the estates.

:o

And not so long ago you were saying that you could not afford to send your kids to International Schools, now you claim to have 5000 Rai of land................

Edited by Maigo6

that's funny. I won't ask how he managed to smuggle it off rotto then.

In answer to Maize farmer, I am sure there would be a market for it if someone was serious, or silly enough to want to try. I mean look at how many drunken farang eat scorpian and fried bugs from the little stall on Khao San Road at 2am. Imagine a bit of fried roo leg, would go down a treat after a few singahs and buckets. You could make a tasty profit. mmmmmmm :D

in answer to Maize farmer, as far as smuggling goes, we caught many culprits trying to walk out of our wild life sanctuary with small mammals or birds in their bags or on their person,just because it looks cute on the telly,but must admit am partial to a bit of roo as a nicesteak or in a pie, but I have also been known to drink XXXX as well :D:D Nignoy

Tim

As a novelty food item for the expat market, that was a joke.

Maybe google some info about the roo....

'would it be as simple as a large fenced off area??? Hey?? These are kangaroos mate, they live in the bush. Aussies define bush as something about the size of London city...lol

Hope the backyard is about that big. Then maybe. :o

When I was a kid, I always enjoyed 'Skippy' ...... I only learned later that 'Skippy' was not really a Roo, just the smaller wannnabe version.

Can Roo's really drive yutes, operate radios and assist in helicopter repair? ...... especially if there is a small boy trapped down a well.

"What's that Skip?.... Sonny has broken his leg.... What happened?"

"where is he?"

"Roight.... teak dis raydeeyo to heem"

(no insult intended to my Aussie brothers, that's just the way you were portrayed all those years ago)

Skipinder is probably closer to reality in the aussie bush.

ScubaOz, well the fence is definitely large enough and the lawn area is definitely large enough and green enough to fatten one grey roo.

Then when it is fat enough all it will do is sit around in the sunshine all day and it will not be able to jump over the fence.

Besides the blue heeler will keep her eye on it for me.

Edited by Nawtilus

:o I haven't read this thread, only the title so forgive me for taking it seriously. Why not buy some Kangaroo eggs and smuggle them into the country in your bra? :D

Don't tell me...... you're not Australian!

Roos are marsupials, not bloody parrots. :D

I bought a couple of Roos over last year.

I just dressed them up in shorts,T-shirt,cap and sunnys and they flew with me economy class on Qantas.

The only thing that happened on the flight was one of the butch Qantas steward sheilas told one of my Roos to "SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN", but that could've happened to anyone.

:o:D

:o I haven't read this thread, only the title so forgive me for taking it seriously. Why not buy some Kangaroo eggs and smuggle them into the country in your bra? :D

the mind boggles.

Anyway, I would have thought that Aussies like some exotic night life, so perhaps a bar in Pattaya with a number of roos available for short time and long time would be a more profitable venture?

On a less serious note, I could see the potential for a sort of zoo/farm with people able to visit/drive through the paddock, looking at these stupid animals bouncing around; with a souviner shope selling belts, shoes, meat and a restaruant with hamburgers, Crown Lager and Fosters or even perhaps some beer. Somewhere like Pattaya, the east europeans would probably love it, as would some Thai people no doubt.

Since they like the dry weather and eat goodness knows what, maybe one of those middle of no where places around Horseshoe point would be a possibility?

Or somewhere in Isaan?

Anyway, they seem like a particularly dumb animal, and dumb animals always make money. Look at giraffes, ostriches and penguins.