Tobacco Monopoly Buildings Razed. Park Going In?

LarryLindsey

Around 12 years ago, the eastern portion 130 Rai, of the Tobacco Monopoly property was renovated into Benjakiti Park.

The rumors at the time were the remaining 300 Rai of Tobacco Monopoly property will be converted into a park.

Here is the plan.

post-258966-0-08087700-1463129155_thumb.

Today I saw this photo:

post-258966-0-28397800-1463128801_thumb.

It appears they are finally tearing out the cigarette factory buildings.

Does anybody have any info? Is it really going to be a new park?

What kind of impact on adjacent property values can be expected when a factory moves out and a large park appears?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Chairman's Message from the 2016 report of the Tobacco Monopoly:

"In addition, TTM has followed its construction plan to be prepared for relocating to a new tobacco plant with modern production process at Rojana Industrial Park, Ayutthaya province and will offer green area of over 300 Rais with a value of more than hundred billion Baht to be Bangkok’s green lung".

Sounds good to me.

The picture says "The Forrest Zone", so I assume it's going to be a Forrest Gump Theme Park. That will be a good match for the (completely rubbish) dinosaur theme park they have already incomprehensibly built in the middle of lower Sukhumvit. Bangkok is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get, but by 10 a.m. all the chocolates have melted in the heat.

Some may be interested to know there already is an elevated walkway from Benjakiti Park to Lumpini Park.

Elevated ? Most of it is a street level other than the steps that take you over the roads.

You're completely wrong. The whole section up to Wireless Road is very elevated, maybe 2 km, before you get to Lumpini.

Some may be interested to know there already is an elevated walkway from Benjakiti Park to Lumpini Park.

Elevated ? Most of it is a street level other than the steps that take you over the roads.

You're completely wrong. The whole section up to Wireless Road is very elevated, maybe 2 km, before you get to Lumpini.

And the first 3 km is at street level. So not sure how I am completely wrong.

The whole thing is less than 3km and built above ground. like a long walking bridge along a klong and once past the expressway it is built over the klong to wireless road. I walk it three or four times a week.

Pedant.

The whole thing is less than 3km and built above ground. like a long walking bridge along a klong and once past the expressway it is built over the klong to wireless road. I walk it three or four times a week.

Really ? So when I walk thru the gate at the Benjakiti Park entrance and have to walk down some steps then past a long row of houses before walking alongside a river for quite a while, none of that exists ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

That used to be a little shortcut to Soi 4 .... all gone now sad.png

Does that mean the Sukhumvit Soi 4 entrance is now closed for bikers and walkers heading across to Benjakiti Park?

Guess we will have to take the Sukhumvit Soi 10 route to get to the park now... right?

Really ? So when I walk thru the gate at the Benjakiti Park entrance and have to walk down some steps then past a long row of houses before walking alongside a river for quite a while, none of that exists ?

I think the bit with houses you are talking about is actually called A ROAD. You then enter the bit that it is called an elevated walkway because it is actually elevated above the stinky klong it runs alongside. Of course if you would actually prefer to walk at street level along the muddy klong that is up to you.

For those that read Thai, sign at the entrance to construction area.

This sign is nowhere near the Tobacco plot - it is about 10 kms away and refers to a completely different development.

Uh, I took that photo standing at the back entrance to the park at the end of soi 10. Have you been there lately?

TH

How did an informative thread about a new park become so argumentative?

Let's just agree that the cycle path from Benjakitti to Lumpini is 'part elevated'. I live next to the elevated section and use the path regularly and can confirm that part is on the level (Benjakitti to Expressway) and part is elevated (Expressway to Wireless).

The sign does indeed back on to the new development.

I'm just very happy and pleasantly surprised that the land is not going to be used for another shopping mall ..... although I did like using the old short-cut from Rama IV to Soi 4 on my bike.

I think the bit with houses you are talking about is actually called A ROAD. You then enter the bit that it is called an elevated walkway because it is actually elevated above the stinky klong it runs alongside. Of course if you would actually prefer to walk at street level along the muddy klong that is up to you.

Yes thank you for proving my point. That will be the bit that runs from the park to the elevated walkway. So there is no elevated walkway from park to park.

Cheers.

Yes thank you for proving my point. That will be the bit that runs from the park to the elevated walkway. So there is no elevated walkway from park to park.

Cheers.

You don't have to use the road with the houses to get to elevated walkway. The new back entrance to the park which connects to the elevated walkway is open all day.

TH

Cheers.

But if you always wear high-heeled shoes, as I do, 100% of the path is elevated. I rest my case.

Cheers.

You don't have to use the road with the houses to get to elevated walkway. The new back entrance to the park which connects to the elevated walkway is open all day.

TH

Actually this is something I've always wanted to ask- where is the elevated (or not) walkway entrance at Lumpini..? Is it the far corner Wireless Road exit..?

Actually this is something I've always wanted to ask- where is the elevated (or not) walkway entrance at Lumpini..? Is it the far corner Wireless Road exit..?

Yes you need to walk past the school that is in the park, onto wireless road then past the gym/boxing/fitness stadium. That's where you will see the steps leading up to the elevated walk way.

If you are feeling super fit you can ride your bike up the middle of the steps. Good luck with that tho.

After what, 60 years of cigarette production, utilizing hundreds of chemicals, would it be too much to hope they've properly disposed of all the contaminated soil?

I have walked/biked/motorbiked and driven through a few thousand times over the past 20 years. There were huge piles of chemical drums scattered about, and some unique aromas when they were running new batches.

I assume some of the land will be developed, and that they will keep some of the administrative facilities open for a Bangkok presence? They did try to close the hospital, but the workers protested so that was kept open.

After what, 60 years of cigarette production, utilizing hundreds of chemicals, would it be too much to hope they've properly disposed of all the contaminated soil?

I have walked/biked/motorbiked and driven through a few thousand times over the past 20 years. There were huge piles of chemical drums scattered about, and some unique aromas when they were running new batches.

I assume some of the land will be developed, and that they will keep some of the administrative facilities open for a Bangkok presence? They did try to close the hospital, but the workers protested so that was kept open.

yes, interesting point - i wonder how how they plan for remediation of the site as it must have had a few toxic chemicals on site in past years it was operating.