Buying 2nd Hand Car Isan for brand new car driver!

Rc2702

Never buy a second hand car in thailand, try and buy new and I not giving you advice on your partner but why would you not buy the car in your name not understand why man want to buy in their parents name .

Tell me do you think a woman would come in to your life say a thai lady and buy a car in your name I would think not .

But the car should be a new one if you can because Thais never ever take care of their car like getting it look at .

They drive them in to the ground.

I bought a new car recently.

I was in the market for a good used car like you are.

So many people I respect advised me against buying a used car in Thailand, I followed their advice and bought a new Toyota instead.

The two things that convince me were"

1)Most Thai people are not great about maintaining their vehicles.

Simple things like oil changes may not of happened very often, if at all.

2) " Problem is all of these motors (3) I have viewed have 120/150/202'000 km on the clock."...at least!

This is Thailand and dealers and previous owners are not above resetting the "clock" or odometer to a much lower number than it actually is.

I am happy with the new car.

The payments are reasonable, insurance is free for the first year and the maintenance is scheduled and also free. and if I have a problem, the dealer takes care of it.

I am from America where hunting for and finding that great deal on the perfect "cherry" used car is like an enjoyable game.

Here in Thailand, there are no rules for the game and you have a very good chance to lose the game and end up regretting what you purchase used.

There is a good reason you see mostly new cars on the road in Thailand.

The man is looking for advice about buying a used car.

Why do so many want to morph it into another " Thai women are evil and will take you for all they can" thread?

I know some fools have been fleeced by Thai women and like to think they were not fools and it only happened because all Thai women are evil.

They are not all evil...

It sounds like the OP has a good one.

So, let's get over it and talk about buying a used car.

All the used car dealers are not dishonest. In 2001 I bought my first vehicle in Thailand, a 2nd hand Nissian ext-cab pickup, drove it for 2or3 years, no problems, went back to same dealer and bought a Toyota D4D, drove that until this year, no problems, this year bought a new Chevrolet Colorado LTZ. In my eyes the best bargain is in a pickup truck vs a car. The newer pickups have everything a car has plus you can carry a lot more in the back. Just my opinion. The dealer I used for the 2nd hand vehicles is in Chiang Mai.

The newer pickups have everything a car has plus you can carry a lot more in the back. Just my opinion. i.

I would agree, if anything the engines have too much power, especially for "some" drivers, But the rear leaf suspension just doesn't get it, I know it keeps them in the 17% tax bracket, but it doesn't make for a smooth ride and good road-holding!

Buy a secondhand Toyota Vios with less than 100K on the odometer.The engines are virtually bulletproof, and most mechanics in Thailand know how to fix them. Look in Bahtsold or Thai Visa classifieds for private sales. Get a compression check done to be on the safe side.

I bought a 2006 Toyota Vios with 83,000 km on the odometer from a Brit for 239,000 baht. Spent 40,000 baht on new Michelins and overhauling everything I could. Have done 50,000 km in it without it missing a beat.

IMHO, those posters on this thread urging the OP to buy new are probably happier spending his money than theirs. Buying new cars is for suckers.

Edited by bazza40

The newer pickups have everything a car has plus you can carry a lot more in the back. Just my opinion. i.

I would agree, if anything the engines have too much power, especially for "some" drivers, But the rear leaf suspension just doesn't get it, I know it keeps them in the 17% tax bracket, but it doesn't make for a smooth ride and good road-holding!

Lethal on wet winding roads with no load or too much of it.

I bought a used car in Kalasin, privately. I was told that it carried insurance, I was involved in an accident, my fault. Then I was told because of the age of the car it did not carry insurance. I had to pay damages to the uninsured.

You bought a car and didn't check - i mean confirm 100% - what cover you had?! Live and learn I guess. Big pay out?

Buy a new car. With a second hand car the previous owner sold it or is selling it for a reason and maybe that reason is a costly one for you. At least with a new car you have the manufacturers back up and you should get full insurance cover within the price. I know some people on here have said they didn't get the insurance but I can only speak from my experience and I have always had full insurance supplied within the price for 1 year

people here seem to perpetuate this myth that buying a 2nd hand car here is a bad decision. Sure there are lemons out there, and just like anywhere you have to do your due diligence inspecting and checking the cars condition/history.

Some of that is hard - Theres no service like HPI (uk car check service that checks history/claims/finance etc) and most insurance companies won't divulge claim history for privacy reasons. (on a side note, a similar HPI service here I think would make a good business).

Not all thais treat their cars like shit, some are enthusiasts.

I'd never buy from a tent seller here, just like back home, it's a backstreet business and some will scam you for what they can, and like the OP, I'd never consider an older Jazz with 200k+ kms!!

Some (most) people sell their cars because they want something newer/better/bigger/faster/flashier etc etc, not because it's a cut n shut

I guess who you are buying from, and what car you are buying is important - I recently bought a car from a thai guy, private sale; it's a 2014. I viewed at a local dealer the same model/year and they wanted 500k more, and I saved 1.2 million over buying new. Car still has over 2.5 years warranty left.

Bad decision?

I have bought second hand cars in the UK and they were fabulous but I say buy a new one here because if you have a problem you will have no protection whatsoever if you buy a second hand one. From experience I bought a CRV and after a period changed the battery which lasted for 6 months. Went back to Honda and they checked for wiring faults and found none so they changed the battery and it cost nothing. In the UK if you bought a second hand car from a dealer and it went wrong they would have responsibility and if they refused you could take them to court. Here you don't have the law on your side

I bought a new car recently.

I was in the market for a good used car like you are.

So many people I respect advised me against buying a used car in Thailand, I followed their advice and bought a new Toyota instead.

The two things that convince me were"

1)Most Thai people are not great about maintaining their vehicles.

Simple things like oil changes may not of happened very often, if at all.

2) " Problem is all of these motors (3) I have viewed have 120/150/202'000 km on the clock."...at least!

This is Thailand and dealers and previous owners are not above resetting the "clock" or odometer to a much lower number than it actually is.

I am happy with the new car.

The payments are reasonable, insurance is free for the first year and the maintenance is scheduled and also free. and if I have a problem, the dealer takes care of it.

I am from America where hunting for and finding that great deal on the perfect "cherry" used car is like an enjoyable game.

Here in Thailand, there are no rules for the game and you have a very good chance to lose the game and end up regretting what you purchase used.

There is a good reason you see mostly new cars on the road in Thailand.

Totally agree with you. What you say is the reason I wouldn't buy a second hand car in Thailand

I'd never owned a new vehicle before I hit Thailand. Why not splurge and get a new car. The roads are crap in Thailand and cars can take a beating. Remenber the floods not long ago....wonder where all those wet cars are now? Can get a new Suzuki Swift for somewhere around 400,000baht.

I bought a used car in Kalasin, privately. I was told that it carried insurance, I was involved in an accident, my fault. Then I was told because of the age of the car it did not carry insurance. I had to pay damages to the uninsured.

Hi, so you never bothered to check what you were advised? This sounds very odd you put yourself in a motor without confirming it had insurance? I'm sorry but that's not even a schoolboy error sir.

Edited by Rc2702

If you don't put the car in your name, do you have a backup plan for when your g/f takes a loan against the car??

Ok so it's a given that my gf will take a loan out on a car!!! I know 1000% she wouldn't but I'll let her know it's not in the pipeline. Thanks!!!

I trust my wife completely because she has earned it. BUT I have registered both our cart in my name because:

1. If stopped by police I don't have to explain it's my wifes' car and I have permission and...

2. If anything happens to her, the cars are mine and nobody in her family can try to claim them.

Register the car in your name and get first class insurance. CYA

Hello that's a useful point actually and one my mrs agreed on. I will put it in my name purely on the basis of the Vultures point. It is for her though so if it went south the car would stay with her. Thanks never thought about that point.

Buy a secondhand Toyota Vios with less than 100K on the odometer.The engines are virtually bulletproof, and most mechanics in Thailand know how to fix them. Look in Bahtsold or Thai Visa classifieds for private sales. Get a compression check done to be on the safe side.

I bought a 2006 Toyota Vios with 83,000 km on the odometer from a Brit for 239,000 baht. Spent 40,000 baht on new Michelins and overhauling everything I could. Have done 50,000 km in it without it missing a beat.

IMHO, those posters on this thread urging the OP to buy new are probably happier spending his money than theirs. Buying new cars is for suckers.

Thanks bazza I agree a new car is not what is required in this situation and anyone who has advised otherwise should lay off the yadong.

Thanks bazza I agree a new car is not what is required in this situation and anyone who has advised otherwise should lay off the yadong.

I had 2 new drivers at the same time, TW and her 20 yo Daughter. My solution was not negotiable and the same applied to both my own Daughters.

I bought a "learners" car, Toyota Vios, in TWs name (my own pickup is in her name also) at an auction, 150K Baht plus about 50K bringing it up to scratch, plus 1st class insurance. The deal is they must complete a full year without a prang, of any sort, to become eligible for a new car. In June they will have had it 2 years with another 7 months before I have to fill my promise -- if they make it that far.

In the early days TW hit a bike with 2 juveniles (they were OK). Insurance claim with fault based at 50 - 50. Although, IMHO, the Daughter is the better driver she has had 2 prangs reversing into a tree then a post. Didn't bother repairing these as a constant reminder to em both.

BTW, I bought my Daughters an old 440 series Volvo which they hated with a vengeance but it did a great job, survived the year without a scratch -- they wanted out ASAP -- 55555. My mate bought it for his own kids.

That's a nice message and it sounds like we think alike in such a situation. I don't want to be annoyed about her having a prang in a motor hence my limitatioms it's all part of learning to me and I just worry if we spend too much on a learner car and it goes pear it's gonna have negative impact on other things such as our relationship which I value too much. If she makes mistakes in a motor which was purchased with that in mind then I can never fault her IMHO. We have a scooter each and she's a much better and much more safer rider she used to fly round bkk on hers so I'm sure she will excel at driving and I'd she does I expect I'll be in the same boat as you.

I had 2 new drivers at the same time, TW and her 20 yo Daughter. My solution was not negotiable and the same applied to both my own Daughters.

I bought a "learners" car, Toyota Vios, in TWs name (my own pickup is in her name also) at an auction, 150K Baht plus about 50K bringing it up to scratch, plus 1st class insurance. The deal is they must complete a full year without a prang, of any sort, to become eligible for a new car. In June they will have had it 2 years with another 7 months before I have to fill my promise -- if they make it that far.

In the early days TW hit a bike with 2 juveniles (they were OK). Insurance claim with fault based at 50 - 50. Although, IMHO, the Daughter is the better driver she has had 2 prangs reversing into a tree then a post. Didn't bother repairing these as a constant reminder to em both.

BTW, I bought my Daughters an old 440 series Volvo which they hated with a vengeance but it did a great job, survived the year without a scratch -- they wanted out ASAP -- 55555. My mate bought it for his own kids.

That's a nice message and it sounds like we think alike in such a situation. I don't want to be annoyed about her having a prang in a motor hence my limitatioms it's all part of learning to me and I just worry if we spend too much on a learner car and it goes pear it's gonna have negative impact on other things such as our relationship which I value too much. If she makes mistakes in a motor which was purchased with that in mind then I can never fault her IMHO. We have a scooter each and she's a much better and much more safer rider she used to fly round bkk on hers so I'm sure she will excel at driving and I'd she does I expect I'll be in the same boat as you.

Don't ask me why, but Thais seem to be able to handle scooters much more competently than cars.

My thinking was the same on the Vios I bought - if it got bent, it wasn't the end of the world.

• 1 month later...

Just to update on this topic it took a while about 30 used car dealers and 5 private viewings but we managed to acquire a decent motor for 225k baht. Really happy with price. Car runs very well only 80k on odometer. The chap we brought from was fair and easy to deal with. Would I buy from him again. Yes. The mrs has amassed a total of 278km in the last 2 weeks. Cleaned the car most days she's very attached. Had to reign her in once for being over confident but very proud to see her becoming more independent. It's not a hard task it just takes perseverance and whilst I viewed a lot of cars which were not loved I could see immediately the previous owners of this car were very responsible owners who did love the car previously. Car is 6 years old. Immaculate

Wifey took a second hand(ho ho!)car in exchange for an old loan of several years.When I saw it I ad to laugh and said how do you think you will sell this!Its a Diawoo ,probably mid 1980s and is wedge shaped ,automatic and has LPG fitted.You can drive it away for 40,000 bahte .

Cant wait to hear from you!!!

Just to update on this topic it took a while about 30 used car dealers and 5 private viewings but we managed to acquire a decent motor for 225k baht. Really happy with price. Car runs very well only 80k on odometer. The chap we brought from was fair and easy to deal with. Would I buy from him again. Yes. The mrs has amassed a total of 278km in the last 2 weeks. Cleaned the car most days she's very attached. Had to reign her in once for being over confident but very proud to see her becoming more independent. It's not a hard task it just takes perseverance and whilst I viewed a lot of cars which were not loved I could see immediately the previous owners of this car were very responsible owners who did love the car previously. Car is 6 years old. Immaculate

The Mrs is amassing an average of 14K a day? Amazing.

If I were you I would buy my wifes old car .Its a Diawoo espero a much sought after model you can no longer buy.,1.5 litre auto,Iinsured etc and has good tyres and could be yours for 40000 baht .Dnt delay PM me today!!After all what can you lose!!

Love limited editions speaking of which got a great Campbells soup tray free in tesco today only had 2 buy 2 cans of soup. Lovely old image of 1st label on tray gotta be a 60 year old image at least, happy to swap one prized piece for another. Pm me don't delay and tesco sold out so don't miss out on this lovely piece of American heritage.