Do It Your Self Or Engage a Agent At The Zoo ?

evenstevens

over the past few days or so, two prominent contributors to C/M forum have given Fair Dinkum accounts of their actual experiences at the Zoo, on renewing their Ret/ visas etc etc

on the one stop promenda immgr dept thread,which gave the following info

D.I.Y. up to approx 12 hrs on siite

Engage a agent approx 1 hr

(to renew their Ret/Visas etc)

therefore, IF both ways !!! as stated , are equal,!!! in all repects!!!! finance etc etc, health etc etc, and etc etc

Which Is the Better Deal??? D.I.Y or Agent???

Fire Awaysmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

There's a viable third option...

Hire someone to stand in line for you at 5am so that they get an early queue number, meet them at 8:30 and spend 2-3 hours at the Mall

300 baht sees it done.

Where does one contact those (Burmese?) who will stand in for you, or do you mean anyone at all? Cheers

Hire someone to stand in line for you at 5am so that they get an early queue number, meet them at 8:30 and spend 2-3 hours at the Mall

300 baht sees it done.

Where does one contact those (Burmese?) who will stand in for you, or do you mean anyone at all? Cheers

Here it is in the simplest way I can explain it regarding the ancient one`s going for their retirement extensions.

1. The first timers, people that are not sure how to complete or don`t know what paperwork is needed, or too knackered to travel to the promenade themselves are best to use the private agencies, like Thai Assist or some others like it. They will sting you for almost 8000 baht that includes the 1900 baht visa fee for the privilege of holding your hand during the process. Not sure whether it takes one day or two days in total.

2. The people that are still fairly mobile and can travel reasonable distances without ending up in intensive care and know what is required having everything prepared before hand can use the G4T agency located next door to immigration. They will assist but is limited. For 4900 baht that includes the 1900 baht visa fee guarantees a slot and can all be done in a matter of a few hours.

3. Going directly to the zoo. Involves hours and hours of masochistic pleasure that requires the mental and physical stamina of a champion. With immigration their policy is, the meek shall not have their passports stamped in one day. It`s every man for himself and the winners may manage to get the business done before the witching hour. For what I have read, they only dish up 20 retirement slots a day, so better get there early, I mean REAL EARLY, even before the early bird rises. The process could be drawn on the lines of the Nazi death marches where only the fittest survive.

There you have it, stinks to high heaven. All this for the pleasure of staying one more year in paradise. The Hobson's choice is yours.

I was in Promenada last Tuesday at 9 o'clock to shop at Rimping. I took a look at Immigration and the whole indoor and outdoor area was quite simply full of very dejected looking people. Even the agent was packed, so I jumped in the car and went to OS visa services in soi 9 Nimmanhaemin where in two minutes I was fully organised for my extension and multi entry at the end of the month. Not cheap but I value my sanity and time too much to spend hours waiting in this heat. That's for masochists!

300 baht sees it done.

There are several places around town that offer this service. They tend to be low-key full service travel agencies catering to the Japanese expat community, rather than the sort that advertise mini-van rides and trekking tours.

Hi E/S,are you on commission from a particular agent ?,an agent for an agent,so to speak,

you really push your views on this subject very forcefully,12 hours at immigration bit of an

exaggeration on your part, and 1 hr with agent is another.

Its all about choice, if you cannot get out of bed in the morning,if you are afraid of going to

immigration alone,if you have no idea at all what to do, engage an agent,I am sure E/S

could put you in touch with a decent one, but it is not cheap 7K THB?,not sure current

going rate,

If all of above is not a big deal to you,just get there sharp in the morning,get a ticket,

you dont have to sit in the queue all the time,mark your stool with a bottle water,coat,

anything,then go home,recline the seat in your car,till about 8.00,and get a ticket.

you should get your extension done,(if you came early) by 10-11 at latest,go home

return at 2,30 claim your passport,time to do reentry if you wish.

With the chaos at CNX ,there is money to be made,I don't think this is happening at

any other office ,just reading reports from Pattaya,Phuket,Bangkok, and one from

Samui,went to office for extension at 8.30,done and dusted by 9.30,

Thats just my view on the subject,its all about choice,maybe a choice we should not

have to make.

regards worgeordie

I hired someone to go to the zoo for me the last time.

I'm not sure if it was the way to go; he showed me photos of the giraffes and him feeding the hippos, but somehow I felt like I was missing something. He did have a video of some monkeys playing with themselves, but I still wish I would have been there to see it in person.

I think the next time I go to the zoo I will actually go myself, but I might consider renting a child or two to take along so it appears more "family oriented."

When I did my retirement visa extension in January, I was actually looking forwarding to having a chance to interact with Imm. Prom again, after having been told the previous month I couldn't hang around out there unless I had an "official reason" to do so. At last, my time for an "official reason" had arrived.

So, I rocked into @Prom at 8:45 am, 44 days before the expiration of my retirement visa extension and joined the end of the queue where the Imm. officers were already checking applicants' documents, fully expecting to be turned away. But, so what, at least I'd have had the fun of observing the queuing process once again and making my report. But wouldn't you know it, when they finally got to me, they hadn't run out of queue numbers. The officers were very friendly "Oh K. Nancy, nice to see you again" (yeah, right) Here, No. 23, maybe see you before lunch" She had more queue numbers. I think maybe 30 in all for the day and didn't turn away anyone.

Sure enough, I was "interviewed" before lunch and my passport was returned by 1:30 pm. I didn't sit around the office much, but instead had a nice second breakfast at Rim Ping, walked around the mall, had a manicure and took care of banking business at the very friendly Bangkok Bank and had a nice lunch at Ragu Italian Restaurant. I thought about getting a re-entry permit after my passport was returned so early in the afternoon, but Nawh, I need another excuse to see my friends at Imm. Prom in the early morning hours again.

I asked the people who were No 1 and 2 in the retirement extension queue when they arrived and it was something like 3 am. Why? I arrived at 8:45 am and was on my way home by 1:30 pm, same time as them.

When I did my retirement visa extension in January, I was actually looking forwarding to having a chance to interact with Imm. Prom again, after having been told the previous month I couldn't hang around out there unless I had an "official reason" to do so. At last, my time for an "official reason" had arrived.

So, I rocked into @Prom at 8:45 am, 44 days before the expiration of my retirement visa extension and joined the end of the queue where the Imm. officers were already checking applicants' documents, fully expecting to be turned away. But, so what, at least I'd have had the fun of observing the queuing process once again and making my report. But wouldn't you know it, when they finally got to me, they hadn't run out of queue numbers. The officers were very friendly "Oh K. Nancy, nice to see you again" (yeah, right) Here, No. 23, maybe see you before lunch" She had more queue numbers. I think maybe 30 in all for the day and didn't turn away anyone.

Sure enough, I was "interviewed" before lunch and my passport was returned by 1:30 pm. I didn't sit around the office much, but instead had a nice second breakfast at Rim Ping, walked around the mall, had a manicure and took care of banking business at the very friendly Bangkok Bank and had a nice lunch at Ragu Italian Restaurant. I thought about getting a re-entry permit after my passport was returned so early in the afternoon, but Nawh, I need another excuse to see my friends at Imm. Prom in the early morning hours again.

I asked the people who were No 1 and 2 in the retirement extension queue when they arrived and it was something like 3 am. Why? I arrived at 8:45 am and was on my way home by 1:30 pm, same time as them.

Exactly. I've NEVER gone before 8:45 A.M. in almost 10 years now.

Meanwhile, in the interests of full disclosure, I must say that Hubby uses the same visa agent as E/S partially because he doesn't want to get caught in any cross-fire that may occur between Imm. and me.

He can walk to their office from our condo and they give him a ride to Imm. Prom. Very handy for him to go there in advance to fill out the forms and have his photo taken and to return the day after they've taken him to Prom and pick up his passport. They sit around Prom waiting for it to be returned, not him.

His total "contact time" at Imm. Prom. office is less than 10 minutes.

Marginally on topic:

Nancy, you mentioned returning for a re-entry permit. I want to repeat a question I asked long ago in another thread (that I can't remember or find).

Do you know of anyone who has tried and failed to get a re-entry permit at an airport? BKK, CNX, or DMK? I find it very easy.

Marginally on topic:

Nancy, you mentioned returning for a re-entry permit. I want to repeat a question I asked long ago in another thread (that I can't remember or find).

Do you know of anyone who has tried and failed to get a re-entry permit at an airport? BKK, CNX, or DMK? I find it very easy.

I agree that I've never heard of anyone who has "tried and failed", but I know many people who were running late for a flight or were so focused on getting on the flight that they neglected to get a re-entry permit. Or maybe remembered they needed a re-entry permit after they'd been stamped out of the country but were still at the gate area. Oops, too late then. That would probably be me. We're usually on that late, late Korean Air flight out of CM. I'm not very alert at that time of day.

They said, "Oh K. Nancy, nice to see you again" Did they invite you to the police ball while you were there? You are trying to be a celebrity I think, putting yourself in the front line for the love of mankind, so you say.

First you said you set up a campaign to protest against the bad treatment of expats by immigration to the embassies and consulates and at the same time you are promoting your favourite agencies saying how convenient and efficient they are. Your letters to the embassies amounted to nothing and you praise your specially selected agencies that contradicts the very purpose of writing to the embassies to help get a better service at immigration so that less of us have the need to use agencies and to archive getting immigration at Chiang Mai to a reasonable level service inline with immigration in the rest of the country.

People have the choice to use an agency, any of their choice, I`m not criticizing anyone for that, but don`t forget these services come at a price, they are not in this out of good will and these are not by any stretch of the imagination a good substitute to compensate for the bad service at immigration that cannot accommodate us all. These agencies should not be promoted considering that there are people who are now using agencies that would not use agencies in normal circumstances preferring not to face the chaos at immigration and that`s costing them up to 3 to 4 times more to get their visa extensions every year.

Edited by cyberfarang

Exactly. I've NEVER gone before 8:45 A.M. in almost 10 years now.

Then you are lucky. You should buy lottery tickets. It's a crap shoot. I have been there in a variety of times and some I get through okay, others I get denied (even at 4am-ish).

The fact that you flipped a coin 10 times and it landed heads each time does not make the odds change.

Hi E/S,are you on commission from a particular agent ?,an agent for an agent,so to speak,

you really push your views on this subject very forcefully,12 hours at immigration bit of an

Its all about choice, if you cannot get out of bed in the morning,if you are afraid of going to

immigration alone,if you have no idea at all what to do, engage an agent,I am sure E/S

could put you in touch with a decent one, but it is not cheap 7K THB?,not sure current

going rate,

If all of above is not a big deal to you,just get there sharp in the morning,get a ticket,

you dont have to sit in the queue all the time,mark your stool with a bottle water,coat,

anything,then go home,recline the seat in your car,till about 8.00,and get a ticket.

you should get your extension done,(if you came early) by 10-11 at latest,go home

With the chaos at CNX ,there is money to be made,I don't think this is happening at

any other office ,just reading reports from Pattaya,Phuket,Bangkok, and one from

Thats just my view on the subject,its all about choice,maybe a choice we should not

have to make.

regards worgeordie

You pretty well covered it all there including E S being on commission. Most people already know they can get an agent. They choose not to. Last year I choose to use The services of G4T before I had done it myself. Unlike many people who complain about it I enjoy reading and talking to people. I take a book and talk to others there are some really nice people there.

I hear people like E S always hyping agents (Funny part is many of them condemn G4T who do not pay a commission just give good service) and I some times wonder if they have a fear of people. They do seem to go out of there way to put people down who do it them selves. I know it is a real fear and is treatable but I don't know if there is some one here in Chiang Mai that treats that particular fear. Nancy might know about that. Chances are they passed up a chance in there home country to have it treated and came here.

For myself I have most of the time done it myself just the last time I choose not to. I find that many of the anti do it your selves over inflate the negative part of it.

going rate,

have to make.

regards worgeordie

You pretty well covered it all there including E S being on commission. Most people already know they can get an agent. They choose not to. Last year I choose to use The services of G4T before I had done it myself. Unlike many people who complain about it I enjoy reading and talking to people. I take a book and talk to others there are some really nice people there.

I hear people like E S always hyping agents (Funny part is many of them condemn G4T who do not pay a commission just give good service) and I some times wonder if they have a fear of people. They do seem to go out of there way to put people down who do it them selves. I know it is a real fear and is treatable but I don't know if there is some one here in Chiang Mai that treats that particular fear. Nancy might know about that. Chances are they passed up a chance in there home country to have it treated and came here.

For myself I have most of the time done it myself just the last time I choose not to. I find that many of the anti do it your selves over inflate the negative part of it.

I have used G4T now on several occasions since it opened and found the process going through them, painless. I also met some really nice Farlangs while hanging about there that helped make the process a lot more pleasant, most of them were as pleased to talk with others as I was just to help pass the time, complaining about the system, putting the world to rights, girls, money, our favourite brands of beer, the usual man talk that helps relieve the pressure, but fun anyway and then before I knew it, the whole business was done, the only casualty being my wallet that was a few thousand baht lighter then from when I first went in there, but at least I came out calmly and not stressed out. It was also nice to have other people chasing about with my passport doing all the worrying while I sat there sipping coffee, so that`s really worth it`s weight in gold.

Just to make myself clear and understood, I don`t trust those people that promote these private agencies because I consider them as traitors to the cause. If they had been around during the war they would be called 5th colonists, people that give the appearance of being our friends but in actuality are working on behalf of others and for their own interests. Over the top but I`m sure people will get my drift what I`m on about.

going rate,

have to make.

regards worgeordie

I have used G4T now on several occasions since it opened and found the process going through them, painless. I also met some really nice Farlangs while hanging about there that helped make the process a lot more pleasant, most of them were as pleased to talk with others as I was just to help pass the time, complaining about the system, putting the world to rights, girls, money, our favourite brands of beer, the usual man talk that helps relieve the pressure, but fun anyway and then before I knew it, the whole business was done, the only casualty being my wallet that was a few thousand baht lighter then from when I first went in there, but at least I came out calmly and not stressed out. It was also nice to have other people chasing about with my passport doing all the worrying while I sat there sipping coffee, so that`s really worth it`s weight in gold.

Just to make myself clear and understood, I don`t trust those people that promote these private agencies because I consider them as traitors to the cause. If they had been around during the war they would be called 5th colonists, people that give the appearance of being our friends but in actuality are working on behalf of others and for their own interests. Over the top but I`m sure people will get my drift what I`m on about.

So basically, it's a case of "All agencies are equal, but some are more equal than others,"

And the English prof in me insists that I correct your "5th colonists" comment. The expression you are looking for is '5th Columnists.'

going rate,

have to make.

regards worgeordie

So basically, it's a case of "All agencies are equal, but some are more equal than others,"

And the English prof in me insists that I correct your "5th colonists" comment. The expression you are looking for is '5th Columnists.'

Already made myself clear on the subject. Is that; already or all ready?

Post deleted - Bickering

Post Deleted - Flaming. Reply to the Post, do not Attack the Poster. Keep the Bickering and Personal attacks off this Forum

Got a problem with any poster - the Ignore function works very well.