Border run from CM via Nan

Need to head over the border to activate visa and was thinking of going to Laos via Lampang - Nan ... any best routes to take? Places to see? Can tale 2-3 days if worth it. Also, if my plates for new pcx not arrived by then can I take it into Laos (maby go for a couple days while I'm there) or will have to leave at border?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I have heard crossing the border on a new bike is possible with all the paperwork but Google it and look on the other bike forums. Could be stuck there, not sure there is any transport at that border, it's right in the sticks.

Go via Phayao, then there are two main ways to get to Nan, via 'Pong', a 'North' loop and a 'South' loop round the national park. Both nice but I thing the Norther one is shorter. One of the best rides in Thailand. Thinking about it and getting '2nd homesick'!

thanks...

"Go via Phayao, then there are two main ways to get to Nan, via 'Pong', a 'North' loop and a 'South' loop round the national park. Both nice but I thing the Norther one is shorter. One of the best rides in Thailand." - sounds like the plan...ill leave the bike at the border.

thanks...

"Go via Phayao, then there are two main ways to get to Nan, via 'Pong', a 'North' loop and a 'South' loop round the national park. Both nice but I thing the Norther one is shorter. One of the best rides in Thailand." - sounds like the plan...ill leave the bike at the border.

Lovely riding. Feeling jealous. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Consider doing north loop one way and south the other. Half an hour difference if that.

From experience a red-plated bike cannot cross over.

On another site I read of multi-entry tourist visas, METVs:

As of 13 November 2015, Royal Thai Embassies and Consulate-Generals are no longer issuing double and triple entry tourist visas.
Even if they did, there is no Thai embassy near the Nan X-ing.

It is very undeveloped area.

papa recommends it.

...so...

"activate visa"

?

Nan would do for a '90-day' report.

But those are not usually associated with tourist visas,are they.

Papa really doesn't know much about tourist visas I guess, sorry.

Edited by papa al

Very unlikely you will get it across the border. Safe to assume you will be leaving it on the Thai side.

I have crossed there with my own Thai-registered bike. It would be one of the most relaxed border crossings I have used.