Motorbikes On The Expressway....?

JCCR6

Can anyone clarify whether or not motorbikes are allowed on the expressway?

One of my Thai friends seems to think not, but I really can't see why (I'm not talking about 125cc scooters).

TIA.

Motorcycles are NOT allowed on the expressway. Doesn't matter if it's a BMW R1200 or a Honda 125 crapper. Unless, of course, you are a highway cop with a yellow Ducati :o

Your Thai friend is correct.

It would be because larger capacity machines are not officially sold here with the exception of BMW (but who wants to pay almost a million baht for an F650?)

The only time you'll see a bike on the expressway is when its being ridden by a policeman

Can anyone clarify whether or not motorbikes are allowed on the expressway?

One of my Thai friends seems to think not, but I really can't see why (I'm not talking about 125cc scooters).

TIA.

Motorcycles are NOT allowed on the expressway. Doesn't matter if it's a BMW R1200 or a Honda 125 crapper. Unless, of course, you are a highway cop with a yellow Ducati :o

Thanks for the reply... a little dissapointed, would have made my journey to work nice and quick/

I've never seen a cop on a Ducati.. only those horrible Tiger 200 things...

I think motorcycles were introduced here for pruning population according to Darwin's Law, and it works ok so far. I see no need to additionally kill them on expressways.

Even large bikes. Imagine flying between two lanes about a hundred km faster than the traffic, and someone decides to change the lane.

The main problem would be deciding whish bike can get on expressways and which can't - it's impractical.

I remember a story of an off-duty cop who decided to take expressway and got dragged 3 km by a van before anyone realised something was wrong.

Bikes are not allowed on many elevated roads, too, and on the ones they are allowed on, they make it very hard for people to overtake them safely as there are no motorcycle lanes or even hard shoulders.

I think motorcycles were introduced here for pruning population according to Darwin's Law, and it works ok so far. I see no need to additionally kill them on expressways.

Even large bikes. Imagine flying between two lanes about a hundred km faster than the traffic, and someone decides to change the lane.

The main problem would be deciding whish bike can get on expressways and which can't - it's impractical.

I remember a story of an off-duty cop who decided to take expressway and got dragged 3 km by a van before anyone realised something was wrong.

Bikes are not allowed on many elevated roads, too, and on the ones they are allowed on, they make it very hard for people to overtake them safely as there are no motorcycle lanes or even hard shoulders.

Sorry, I can't really disagree more. It's simple, you state a minimum engine size, those that fall below that aren't allowed on the expressway. There's a similar rule in the UK for motorbikes that are allowed to ride on the motorway, and those that are not.

If the bike is powerful enough to be riding on the expressway, then there would be no issue of overtaking as the bike would be (more than) quick enough to keep up with the surrounding traffic.

Anyway... they're not allowed... nevermind.. TiT.

Only Farangs and Thais with BA's or MBA's on 400cc or more should be allowed on the Expressway.

Came back from the Bang-Saen bike week last week on the bottom section of the Bang-Na Trad, talk about putting your life on the line!!!

I think the main reason is that if you somehow fell off the bike, you'd probably leave this world while enjoying the 80 foot plunge down to Sukhumvit. Have you noticed how low the cement curbs are? Lower than the handlebars you'd flip or fly over.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Sorry, I can't really disagree more. It's simple, you state a minimum engine size, those that fall below that aren't allowed on the expressway. There's a similar rule in the UK for motorbikes that are allowed to ride on the motorway, and those that are not.

It's impractical to check motorbikes 24/7 at every entrance to every expressway. Besides 99% of them won't be allowed anyway as they are too small.

It just isn't practical here. The expressway and law were probably started when most bikes had less than ten horsepower, often pulling two or three people, etc.

Japan used to have such strict laws for riding bikes over 400cc that less than 1% of all Japanese riders could qualify for the license.

They could maybe issue a sticker at the transport dept for qualified people to stick on their bikes!! Just an idea.

Motorbikes are a poor man's transport - politicans drive cars. Only very view Thais are sufficiently crasy to pay the same price for a real bike as you would have to pay for a car. And then go without aircond, be exposed to sun, rain, exhaust fumes...

I happend to be one of this very small minority here in Thailand, but then I am not a Thai and I would never want to drive my bike in BKK - Isarn is much better for me :o

Your idea sounds good, but nobody who could change things will be interested.

Just my two cents

Thedi //e-mail address removed as per forum rules -Tywais//

____

Enjoy Thailand as it is - do not try to change it or it will turn out be the same way as the place where we came from... remember why we went away there?

Met a Dutch guy biking round the world on a FJR. He came out of Don Meuang having flown his bike over Burma. Hit the expressway or tried to. Cops impounded the bike. 2000 US to get it back. Moral of the story: Don't believe you can ride a bike on the expressway unless you're well connected.

Seems a bit excessive, a couple of reds should have worked, a purple at most.

You can find me belting down the Eastern outer ring road in the Bang-Na area most Tuesdays and Thursdays, no toll booths on my route so no one can stop me really.

Edited by Berty

Seems a bit excessive, a couple of reds should have worked, a purple at most.

You can find me belting down the Eastern outer ring road in the Bang-Na area most Tuesdays and Thursdays, no toll booths on my route so no one can stop me really.

Totally agree, man. The cops must have smelled his very newly arrived status a mile away.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the main reason is that if you somehow fell off the bike, you'd probably leave this world while enjoying the 80 foot plunge down to Sukhumvit. Have you noticed how low the cement curbs are? Lower than the handlebars you'd flip or fly over.

I was on a 250cc trail bike, and got onto (illegally) the elevated road that runs along Phetchburi, (above Ramkamhaeng and over the Khlong San Saeb). It was a windy day and was pretty unsettling up there getting hit by side cross winds, and the railing is very low. Most of the expressways have low walls also, and would be too dangerous for bikes.

Sod the expressways, there's a go-kart track behind Seacon Square. 300B/bike for all morning. Fun fun fun

Sorry to go off on a tangent (I hate people doing that to my threads) I'll start a new topic and hope to get some more people down there on 4th or 5th of December

I've got a big BMW and just go ahead and ride on the freeways. When the policeman waves me down I look the other way pretending not to see him.

They won't chase you because it's a waste of time for them. And they couldn't catch a large bike with those little Phantoms anyway.

I don't do it a lot but I've talked with other BMW guys and this is what they do.

Riding in and out of Bangkok is a PITA even on the freeways.

I'm told things can be tricky on the toll roads. But even then if you are ready to pay the toll and bluff, it can be done.

Also if you do stop and get fined, the fine is 300 baht not the 2000 what they ask for!

Pretend to ignore the policeman, it's pretty common practice.

Edited by kasi