Distilled water for lead-acid battery

My deep-cycle batt needs top-up so I stopped by my local car accessory shop and asked for

'naam bateri' and the owner looked at me in confusion and offered 'naam kaan' which got me confused

but anyway I nodded and was handed a pink plastic bottle for 20Baht. Pls see pic attached.

When I got home I noticed it to be a pink liquid and a bit reluctant to fill my battery with.

Anyone knows if this is ok for topping up? Thank you.

post-128422-0-03913400-1463285616_thumb.

Everything's in Thai and fine print.

Had a look at Crossy's link and this stuff claims to be better than plain distilled water.

I think I'll put the stuff in.

Thanks guys.

post-128422-0-84736900-1463287282_thumb.

post-128422-0-22440800-1463287295_thumb.

Years ago,there was Batt-Aid. A mint sized tablet that you added into the cells,to revive and keep the battery healthy longer.

It did seem to help,Revive is probably the same idea.

Might try and buy some here.

Already had over 2 years of service life from this battery. I've topped it up with this pink fluid and it's now on the smart charger.

This batt has never given me any problems so I'd be happy if I get another year's service out of it.

Thought that pink stuff had some stuff in it to fool with the plates..Ma and pa shops usually sell plan battery top up cos everyone here has to top up regularly cos of the heat. ...

I've got 2 optimizer battery chargers,they work very well and can recover a very flat battery. As long as no dead cells etc,takes a few days as their only 0.8 amp and deep cycle charge and will tell you if the battery is healthy or not.

And good for Lead Acid,Maintenance free or Glass Mat Batteries.

...you can also head to the automotive section at any Big C store...wander the aisles and you will find battery replacement water/electrolyte. Learn to read Tai amigo.

Not good to use tap or drinking water as it contains too many minerals that MIGHT mess with the cells.

Batteries in the Kingdom are very inexpensive.

In USA, a motorcycle battery used to be 1,000b (500b in muang now).

Try TRIPLE the price in USA currently. Yes...about $100 USD.

A battery for a pickup truck in USA used to cost $46 USD. Now $156.

Smart to replace the battery in your vehicle on a regular basis.

You keep a maintenance booklet for each vehicle you own, correct?

Keeping track of "maintenance" is a falang trait not shared by many kon Tai.

When I whip out my Gas/Maintenance logbook while refueling in muang---kon Tai are curious

as they have never seen one before!

Logbook: make your own. Keep track of all. Vehicle purchase date, VIN # and License and ergo dates.

Do not rely on your faulty memory.

Enter each time when you refill with petrol...date/fuel amount/mileage and price.

Do the same for oil changes, tire and battery issues.

Brits are keen on automotive maintenance more than most in the world btw....

The time you put into a LogBook will pay itself back in spades when you go to sell or trade-in your vehicle.

it is the white thing to do.....

It just reduces the internal resistance of the battery ever so slightly by including a weak additive/chemical...maybe that's what makes it pink...then again, maybe that pink color is from food coloring. May provide short term, minor help to older batteries. Additives are not recommended for lead-acid batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/additives

Archived