UK-EU referendum campaign heats up with Hitler comparisons

webfact

UK-EU referendum campaign heats up with Hitler comparisons
By Joanna Gill | With REUTERS, THE TELEGRAPH

606x341_332742.jpg

LONDON: -- The EU referendum campaign has courted controversy in the UK with Leave campaigner and former London mayor Boris Johnson comparing the EU’s aims to Hitler’s while Remain campaigner and premier David Cameron claimed that Britons will be out of pocket if they vote to leave. Both have drawn criticism for fear mongering.

“If we vote to leave on the 23rd of June we will be voting for higher prices; we will be voting for fewer jobs; we will be voting for lower growth; we will be voting potentially for a recession. That is the last thing that our economy needs,” said Cameron at a rally on Saturday (15 May).

Remain campaigners are pushing the economic argument, which they say the Leave camp are losing. While Boris Johnson said Europe suffered from a massive democratic void.

“I’m telling you that if we vote ‘leave’ on June the 23rd and take back control of this country, and our democracy and our economy, then we can prosper and thrive and flourish as never before,” Johnson told supporters.

Adding fuel to the fire Johnson told British paper The Telegraph that various people including Napoleon and Hitler had tried to unite Europe under a single entity but ‘it ends tragically’ adding that the EU was trying to do the same by different means.

His comments drew sharp criticism with some accusing him of playing political games with the darkest chapter of Europe’s history and others saying it smacked of desperation. While Twitter was a buzz with the hashtag EU to Hitler.

Johnson also challenged Cameron to a televised debate – sparking speculation over his own ambitions to lead the country.

As the campaign enters its last six weeks, the war of words is set to intensify as the latest polls show the British public divided 50-50 on whether to continue its relationship with the EU.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-16

Stockholm Syndrome where the captives come to love their captors, seemingly illogical but real.

When they try to centralize control it is never for the benefit of the citizenry, it purely over-empowers those who would rule us.

We won't leave. We might vote to leave, but they'll just keep us voting until there's a 'Remain' majority and that will be it. Wasn't it Denmark that experienced this fiddle?

Not according to the politicians and they never lie do they? [emoji3]

We won't leave. We might vote to leave, but they'll just keep us voting until there's a 'Remain' majority and that will be it. Wasn't it Denmark that experienced this fiddle?

It has happened in a few EU countries actually with other referenda.

However I don't believe they could get away with it in this case.

The BRExit boils down to how the electorate views the importance of sovereignty. The EU is run

by a bunch of political elites that tell each member state what to do but doesn't directly represent any

member states specific interest. How can this be a good thing?

If you're pro nation state, then never mind the hype, pros and cons will be tossed about with little or no

substance except to appeal to emotion, vote exit for sovereignty.

I am pro Exit and have no doubt that whatever the ramifications of an exit turn out to be, they will be

issues that can be resolved.

Edited by expat_4_life

Funniest EU related story read today, was another attempt by the EU facists to muscle in on Norways oil and gas sector and Norway has told them to get stuffed...well done the Vikings, all is needed if a few more countries to tell this pigs at the trough to get stuffed

The BRExit boils down to how the electorate views the importance of sovereignty. The EU is run

by a bunch of political elites that tell each member state what to do but doesn't directly represent any

If you're pro nation state, then never mind the hype, pros and cons will be tossed about with little or no

I am pro Exit and have no doubt that whatever the ramifications of an exit turn out to be, they will be

Napoleon wanted to dominate Europe and ensure France was the top dog.

The Kaiser wanted to dominate Europe and ensure Germany was top dog.

Hitler wanted to dominate Europe and ensure Germany was top dog.

They all tried military might and lost.

The communists wanted to dominate Europe with their political ideology. They failed because it didn't work and was easily manipulated by a few for their own benefit. Russia led this and wanted to be top dog.

The EU federalists want to dominate EU and are led by Germans who see this as a way to dominate Europe and put Germany as top dog.

Leaving the EU is not the answer. Staying in and working with other countries who are beginning to realize the German Federal ambitions of dominance is the way forward. Or it will end badly.

Napoleon wanted to dominate Europe and ensure France was the top dog.

The Kaiser wanted to dominate Europe and ensure Germany was top dog.

Hitler wanted to dominate Europe and ensure Germany was top dog.

They all tried military might and lost.

The communists wanted to dominate Europe with their political ideology. They failed because it didn't work and was easily manipulated by a few for their own benefit. Russia led this and wanted to be top dog.

The EU federalists want to dominate EU and are led by Germans who see this as a way to dominate Europe and put Germany as top dog.

Leaving the EU is not the answer. Staying in and working with other countries who are beginning to realize the German Federal ambitions of dominance is the way forward. Or it will end badly.

What people don't realise is that the EU can not be changed from inside, it is designed to be anti democratic with unaccountable politicians and bureaucrats passing legislation which more often than not is not for the benefit of individual states.

Just look at Cameron's negotiation for a better deal, came back with next to nothing and the few concessions gained can be vetoed by the EU parliament, oh sorry forgot about his big victory on removing VAT on tampons!

It will not end badly for Britain, as come 24th June, Britain will be rid of them.

To be fair, the UK is also run by an unrepresentative political elite who who operate against the best interests of the majority of the population. Despite only securing the backing of 37% of the country, we are also run by a self-serving cabal that was rejected by the vast majority of the population (see how they wriggled, squirmed and outright lied to fool the public into rejecting PR).

As you seem to know all, tell us how much cash the individual member countries plough into the EU and how much cash the countries get back in handouts..

I could be wrong but I thought the wee UK was the second biggest contributor..

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12176663/EU-Facts-how-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

The main graph tells all.

For many years, Britain and Germany were the only significant net contributors to the EU budget. Now, however, there are ten countries who pay more in than they get back.

To be fair, the UK is also run by an unrepresentative political elite who who operate against the best interests of the majority of the population. Despite only securing the backing of 37% of the country, we are also run by a self-serving cabal that was rejected by the vast majority of the population (see how they wriggled, squirmed and outright lied to fool the public into rejecting PR).

The difference is that UK politicians face consequences for their actions, or lack of action as the case may be and can be voted out of office by the public. That is not the case in the EU parliament where beaurocrats are appointed and not elected by the general public.

It's just plain embrassing

Yes, I'm with you there!

What must our European friends think of us?

Givers............

What? As in 1 of 10 net contributors? Or give a great deal of trouble?

As you seem to know all, tell us how much cash the individual member countries plough into the EU and how much cash the countries get back in handouts..

If you look at The Economist web site they have the Brexit facts. You can also look at fact checker

We get an instant rebate from our gross contribution. Then we have all the money that comes back from the EU

Seems net contribution is around 24M per day or 9B per annum which is what we physicists call "a shit load of money". Then again it's far less than 1% of our GDP!

We are 9th of 10 net contributors by GDP per head which seems reasonable (richest countries pay more? A country with 60M population should pay more than a country with 6M? How else would you do it?)

ON BALANCE I think the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

Check it out for yourself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12176663/EU-Facts-how-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

The main graph tells all.

For many years, Britain and Germany were the only significant net contributors to the EU budget. Now, however, there are ten countries who pay more in than they get back.

If statistics prove anything, and statistics prove that they do, they prove that you can prove whatever you like

For me contribution per GDP per head is the most meaningful statistic

That puts us at 9 of 10 net contributors

Then you need to consider the NET contribution

It's a great deal of money.....