When will you retire?

stander

Semi retired at 45. Fully retired at 49. Private income/wealth from working <deleted> hard from the age of 15 culminating in totally passive dividend income and wealth that I still have control over as a director, plus private income from private investments.

I'll never qualify for a government pension and shunned away from private schemes because it was obvious that most were a fiddle and there solely for the benefit of the administrators, who took no responsibility for their bad investment decisions. I decided at the age of 25 that relying on a "pension" of any sort as the bulk of your income post retirement was a very tenuous road to follow.

As for tax, I've said it before on this forum - treat the tax man like a mushroom and keep them in the dark. I've avoided more tax than I've paid in my lifetime through knowing how to dance around the rules. Most of my inclome is fully imputed, and the income that is liable for tax doesn't get declared.

Oh, and there's an old quote from somebody who said that once they retired they couldn't figure out how they ever found the time to go to work. How right they were!!!! thumbsup.gif

Private income wich you earned before you invested would have been income taxed,unless you became loaded so to speak from criminal gains and as we are living in a very digitalized world the tax man knows also ,so the saying i never pay taxes is a load of crap .

Paid no income tax on my earnings for the last 26 years I worked. All perfectly legal, tax man gave me a tax code of NT. Explain that o wise one.

So you where a pirate who sometimes sails back to his desert island to open that treasure chest and take some gold coins back to Thailand?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG You must be loaded mate

That was for my son.

Hunting through my posting history? Not that interesting a read.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semi retired at 45. Fully retired at 49. Private income/wealth from working <deleted> hard from the age of 15 culminating in totally passive dividend income and wealth that I still have control over as a director, plus private income from private investments.

I'll never qualify for a government pension and shunned away from private schemes because it was obvious that most were a fiddle and there solely for the benefit of the administrators, who took no responsibility for their bad investment decisions. I decided at the age of 25 that relying on a "pension" of any sort as the bulk of your income post retirement was a very tenuous road to follow.

As for tax, I've said it before on this forum - treat the tax man like a mushroom and keep them in the dark. I've avoided more tax than I've paid in my lifetime through knowing how to dance around the rules. Most of my inclome is fully imputed, and the income that is liable for tax doesn't get declared.

Oh, and there's an old quote from somebody who said that once they retired they couldn't figure out how they ever found the time to go to work. How right they were!!!! thumbsup.gif

Private income wich you earned before you invested would have been income taxed,unless you became loaded so to speak from criminal gains and as we are living in a very digitalized world the tax man knows also ,so the saying i never pay taxes is a load of crap .

Paid no income tax on my earnings for the last 26 years I worked. All perfectly legal, tax man gave me a tax code of NT. Explain that o wise one.

So you where a pirate who sometimes sails back to his desert island to open that treasure chest and take some gold coins back to Thailand?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG You must be loaded mate

That was for my son.

Hunting through my posting history? Not that interesting a read.

Blah blah..........

Can't see myself retiring; to do what?

When I moved here 8 years ago at 39, I worked from home for 2 hours a day but it didn't take me long to realise that I had too much free time on my hands so I ramped up my workload and I'm much happier

The retirees I see around here in downtown Sukhumvit don't seem to do anything but drink and play pool day after day in between yammering on about 90 day reports and the rising cost and lack of authenticity of a full English at a British theme pub

Guess none of them post on here because all the pensioners on this thread seem to have retired at 40 with a few million bucks in the bank cheesy.gif

you might have sorted out your income situation but you sure do not know how to read, agent sumo.

In my opinion people who claim to own coin and retire at an early age would not go to live in a place like Thailand and most people living in the west and educated live on wages from day to day ,The middle class is being rooted out by the powers that be in the west.

<snip>

if you are an American you are excused. if not i claim "little do you know!" because you forgot to consider the zero income tax advantage people "with coin" enjoy in Thailand.

No such thing as zero income tax Naam and i do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand.

Yes there is. Currently a self funded retiree, with his superannuation in pension phase, enjoys a totally tax free income tax environment, but still pays GST (VAT), along with other indirect taxes, and there is no limit.

That may change if the government retains power in the July election, and they don't change their policy prior, which I believe they will do. It will only be 15% on income above $75,000 pa though.

Can't see myself retiring; to do what?

When I moved here 8 years ago at 39, I worked from home for 2 hours a day but it didn't take me long to realise that I had too much free time on my hands so I ramped up my workload and I'm much happier

The retirees I see around here in downtown Sukhumvit don't seem to do anything but drink and play pool day after day in between yammering on about 90 day reports and the rising cost and lack of authenticity of a full English at a British theme pub

Guess none of them post on here because all the pensioners on this thread seem to have retired at 40 with a few million bucks in the bank cheesy.gif

you might have sorted out your income situation but you sure do not know how to read, agent sumo.

LOL, income was never the issue. It was always boredom

In my opinion people who claim to own coin and retire at an early age would not go to live in a place like Thailand and most people living in the west and educated live on wages from day to day ,The middle class is being rooted out by the powers that be in the west.

<snip>

if you are an American you are excused. if not i claim "little do you know!" because you forgot to consider the zero income tax advantage people "with coin" enjoy in Thailand.

No such thing as zero income tax Naam and i do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand.

Yes there is. Currently a self funded retiree, with his superannuation in pension phase, enjoys a totally tax free income tax environment, but still pays GST (VAT), along with other indirect taxes, and there is no limit.

That may change if the government retains power in the July election, and they don't change their policy prior, which I believe they will do. It will only be 15% on income above $75,000 pa though.

So you never paid any tax on the money you earned in youre working carreer before you retired ?My point being on never paying any taxes......

Retired at 49 to Thailand, been here nearly 4 years and loving it. Don't care about naysayers and just love seeing and reading about all the jealous people stewing in their own juices.

again a generalising and incorrect comment garnished with "load of crap" which applies to this comment.

after graduating i worked 3½ years in Germany and when i left to work abroad my net "investment" after taxes amounted to the princely sum of DM 7,500 (equivalent to 4,000 US-Dollars at that time).

as i could not make up my mind to use the afore-mentioned amount for a yacht or a Learjet i decided to spend 15 years in the Saudi desert, the African bush and Asian swamps working hard, most of the time 7 days a week, earning tax free "real" money which i invested tax free and which generates tax free income. and that no matter whether you eat your heart out or not tongue.png

by the way, nobody claimed in this thread "never paid any taxes". your sorry attempts to divert trying to hide your ignorance in income tax matters are failing miserably.

Unfortunately I can't retire since I never really got started in the first place. Still....I'm only 58 so time to enough yet to get a job for a week or two just to see what its like .....then I can retire.

<snip>

i also expect that sooner or later "they" will come up with some sort of income tax for offshore income and capital gains. but a big hurdle is the fact that taxing offshore generated income will also apply to "influential" Thais which are enjoying the same tax privileges Farangs enjoy.

again a generalising and incorrect comment garnished with "load of crap" which applies to this comment.

after graduating i worked 3½ years in Germany and when i left to work abroad my net "investment" after taxes amounted to the princely sum of DM 7,500 (equivalent to 4,000 US-Dollars at that time).

as i could not make up my mind to use the afore-mentioned amount for a yacht or a Learjet i decided to spend 15 years in the Saudi desert, the African bush and Asian swamps working hard, most of the time 7 days a week, earning tax free "real" money which i invested tax free and which generates tax free income. and that no matter whether you eat your heart out or not tongue.png

by the way, nobody claimed in this thread "never paid any taxes". your sorry attempts to divert trying to hide your ignorance in income tax matters are failing miserably.

No many claim to never have paid any income tax like you on here but then again they do or are talking out of their respective arse in other money related topics and many have claimed in this thread as to not paying taxes like you .....so wich is it now but if you have said learjet why arent you living in Monaco of al places ?And that 3 1/2 years you worked in Germany means you payed taxes .

Edited by sickwaterbuffalo2

Retirement at age 50 allowed me to move to Thailand where I have been for the last 24 years so very happy to have been able to retire early.

Back in 2005, I worked in Thailand (BKK & Laem Chabang) for 2.5 years; an excellent gig.

I was called back to HQ's (Washington, DC) where I stayed for 2-3 years and then off to the Middle East (for 3-4 years).

All the time away from Thailand I regularly communicated with my Thai friends and monitored the local political situation (through Thai VISA).

Our annually holiday since 2008, I returned to Thailand for 1-2 months as I missed the food, weather, and people.

Retirement to Thailand is in my near future, 6-months away on Jan 3, 2017. Probably stay here in the US a few extra months sorting out the retirement paperwork, 2016 taxes and wait for my 1st retirement check on/about Feb 1st.

Around March 2017, we are off to Thailand and not looking back. Anyone wants to see me they can come to Thailand or we can talk via Skype/FB.

Songkran 2017 --- ahhhh!

I have just retired this year at 55 but have been coming here 16yrs, Enjoying not working a slight adjustment living here, best to do when individuals are ready and financial OK

In aussie now they want you to work to 67. life too short for that

No many claim to never have paid any income tax like you on here but then again they do or are talking out of their respective arse in other money related topics and many have claimed in this thread as to not paying taxes like you .....so wich is it now but if you have said learjet why arent you living in Monaco of al places ?And that 3 1/2 years you worked in Germany means you payed taxes .

so sad, so sad, sometimes i feel so sad (beatles).

you did not even get the 'learjet' thingy...

how do you get life?

<snip>

So you never paid any tax on the money you earned in youre working carreer before you retired ?My point being on never paying any taxes......

No, you've misread.

As a self funded retiree in Australia, with superanuation in pension phase, no income tax on capital gains or income (must be in your superannuation fund only).

I paid plenty when working.

so sad, so sad, sometimes i feel so sad (beatles).

you did not even get the 'learjet' thingy...

how do you get life?

i was really devastated when they told me that my $4,000 savings wouldn't suffice to buy a pair of Learjet tires. and the salesman who spent a couple of hours explaining the details of a 60' motor yacht was not amused when he saw the balance of my savings passbook ermm.gif

Im afraid, im one of the unlucky ones . I'll never be able to retire. And it's all my fault. I will always have to go back to my home country for twenty weeks a year, leaving my beautiful wife and house. So to the people who have retired early and live here. I congratulate you. Well done.

Im afraid, im one of the unlucky ones . I'll never be able to retire. And it's all my fault. I will always have to go back to my home country for twenty weeks a year, leaving my beautiful wife and house. So to the people who have retired early and live here. I congratulate you. Well done.

Does your wife's work rule out her traveling with you? Depending on where you live might be able to lease house out a few months during tourist season here and spend that time in your home country with her?