When will you retire?

stander

‘I’ll Never Retire’: Americans Break Record for Working Past 65"

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ll-never-retire-americans-break-095750781.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

I was 27 when I came to live in Thailand, with the plan to retire at 40, at 40 I planned to retire at 50, at 50 I planned to retire at 60.

I am 60 this year and now I have no plans and likely I will never retire..

What about you guys?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped working at 40 and think you should have stuck with your original plan. A bit too late for that now, though.

It’s an easy decision for me, I enjoy my work, so I am happy to carrying on, as long as I am fit. I am content with my life, been financially secure since my early forties and I have the right balance between work, family and my hobbies.

Being a "frugal" (cheap charlie) person,and single also (divorced in my early 40,s thank you so much my ex-wife) I was able to retire at 58,still in excellent health ten years later with brass in the bank,life is wonderful living here thumbsup.gif

Never most western governments have made retirement age almost impossible ,living longer means working longer.....

Why blame the government? This type of attitude is why you won't retire. Take responsibility for your own destiny.

Never most western governments have made retirement age almost impossible ,living longer means working longer.....

Why blame the government? This type of attitude is why you won't retire. Take responsibility for your own destiny.

In my opinion people who claim to own coin and retire at an early age would not go to live in a place like Thailand and most people living in the west and educated live on wages from day to day ,The middle class is being rooted out by the powers that be in the west.

I am an offshore worker myself and have a few private pension funds and property in my country wich i invest in and looking at it now most of those funds will not last true all my retirement years.

Most old codgers retiring in Thailand where bleu colar workers making about 1500 to 2000 euro's a month at the end of their working carreers ,hardly an amount to brag about living in Thailand with maybe a new Thai family on a pension of 1200 euro a month is not what i call living the dream.

because, like we just recently experienced in australia's latest budget, many governments moves the goal post after the game has started.

if you did put your money into oz superannuation starting some 30 years ago (and as an oz employee there is no choice!) you would have lived through some 18 grave and instrumental changes to your retirement plan - and that is not counting the losses incurred through the gfc or the incompetence of your fund managers.

glad i never put a cent into these sink holes...

In my opinion people who claim to own coin and retire at an early age would not go to live in a place like Thailand and most people living in the west and educated live on wages from day to day ,The middle class is being rooted out by the powers that be in the west.

<snip>

if you are an American you are excused. if not i claim "little do you know!" because you forgot to consider the zero income tax advantage people "with coin" enjoy in Thailand.

i retired 26 years, 5 months and 16 days ago smile.png

German-Engineering-on-Board.jpg

Too vague, we need minutes and seconds.biggrin.png

my apologies! i just realised that the 16 days are incorrect. to be precise it's 15 days, 13 hours and 18 minutes (based on Thai time) and 15 days 8 hours and 19 minutes (based on central European time) wink.png

<snip>

if you are an American you are excused. if not i claim "little do you know!" because you forgot to consider the zero income tax advantage people "with coin" enjoy in Thailand.

No such thing as zero income tax Naam and i do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand.

Op maybe the mistake you made was coming to live here at 27 ?More to life than party and Thai totty.

I have worked in the Oil, Gas and Energy business based in Thailand since 1987, prior to that (83-87) I was on rotation, so no mistake on my part.

Op maybe the mistake you made was coming to live here at 27 ?More to life than party and Thai totty.

I have worked in the Oil, Gas and Energy business based in Thailand since 1987, prior to that (83-87) I was on rotation, so no mistake on my part.

But you blew al youre hard earned?Takes a certain kind of discipline to save coin living in a young mans playground like Thailand......

But you blew al youre hard earned?Takes a certain kind of discipline to save coin living in a young mans playground like Thailand..

Partied like there was no tomorrow, when I was on rotation, settled down once I was permanently based here, so as I said I am financially secure, just enjoy my job and I have the right balance in life.

I will retire on May 1, 2018 at which time the Thai government will pay me a lifetime pension big enough to cover the monthly rental of a very comfortable, landscaped 4-bedroom home which I pay for now.

All health costs will be covered by a 450B/month premium for government insurance coverage. Will have a couple million Baht in savings to cover major medical.

At that time, I will live and travel on my USA Soc. Security pension from my USA company employment.

I think I've covered all the bases. See any holes? Feedback appreciated.

<snip>

No such thing as zero income tax Naam and i do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand.

you pretend to be so knowledgeable and world wise, sickwaterbuffalo, but your posts show you haven't got a clue what you are writing about.

why do you even bother to post if you have nothing to contribute?

if you 'do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand'.................

But you blew al youre hard earned?Takes a certain kind of discipline to save coin living in a young mans playground like Thailand..

Partied like there was no tomorrow, when I was on rotation, settled down once I was permanently based here, so as I said I am financially secure, just enjoy my job and I have the right balance in life.

Good for you but i think the good old days of the oil and gas are truly a thing of the past since the dropping oil prices about 500.000 people have been laid off world wide in said sector.

Concerning offshore wind farms they are also starting to use cheap Polish or Romanian or Portugese and Spanish subcontractors working long days at 9 to 10 euro's an hour ......