When will you retire?

stander

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion people who claim to own coin and retire at an early age would not go to live in a place like Thailand and most people living in the west and educated live on wages from day to day ,The middle class is being rooted out by the powers that be in the west.

<snip>

if you are an American you are excused. if not i claim "little do you know!" because you forgot to consider the zero income tax advantage people "with coin" enjoy in Thailand.

No such thing as zero income tax Naam and i do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand.

you pretend to be so knowledgeable and world wise, sickwaterbuffalo, but your posts show you haven't got a clue what you are writing about.

why do you even bother to post if you have nothing to contribute?

if you 'do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand'.................

If you have a fixed pension ore income coming from abroud taxes will be paid at the source,I think you do go shopping and buy day to day things such as putting fuel in youre car in Thailand?If yes than you pay a certain thing wich is called VAT thats taxes Herr Naam......so no need for that German arrogance.

In my opinion people who claim to own coin and retire at an early age would not go to live in a place like Thailand and most people living in the west and educated live on wages from day to day ,The middle class is being rooted out by the powers that be in the west.

<snip>

if you are an American you are excused. if not i claim "little do you know!" because you forgot to consider the zero income tax advantage people "with coin" enjoy in Thailand.

No such thing as zero income tax Naam and i do not plan to retire or live in such a place like Thailand.

i apologise and bow to your egssburtise concerning income tax matters in Thailand. those of us living in Thailand since decades must be having either hallucinations or perhaps the tooth fairy takes care of our taxes gigglem.gif

<snip>

i apologise and bow to your egssburtise concerning income tax matters in Thailand. those of us living in Thailand since decades must be having either hallucinations or perhaps the tooth fairy takes care of our taxes gigglem.gif

Well you must be smarter than the Thai government,How come most Thai's at a certain pay grade have to pay taxes and social security?Please enlighten me with youre infinate wisdom instead of being a prick.

If you have a fixed pension ore income coming from abroud taxes will be paid at the source,I think you do go shopping and buy day to day things such as putting fuel in youre car in Thailand?If yes than you pay a certain thing wich is called VAT thats taxes Herr Naam......so no need for that German arrogance.

i rephrase and change from "little do you know" to "nothing you know!" tongue.png

of course we pay VAT but only on a part of our expenses and only one third of what we would pay in our home countries.

but VAT is negligible pocket money for those with "coin". what counts is (in my case) that "arrogant" German finance minister Schäuble cannot levy an "arrogant and perverted" German income tax rate of 44.6% since we are living in Thailand.

there is also no tax at source for most pensioners as Thailand has ratified with many countries double tax agreements, reserving Thailand's right to levy income tax on pensions and social insurance but does not enforce that right.

this tax lesson is free of charge, now waiting for the next ignorant comment.

Well you must be smarter than the Thai government,How come most Thai's at a certain pay grade have to pay taxes and social security?Please enlighten me with youre infinate wisdom instead of being a prick.

when an ignoramus like you resorts to personal insults i usually pity him and smile instead of wasting my time.

today i make an exception, throw in the magic expression "offshore income" and add that Farang retirees who are Thais at a certain pay grade are as rare as a sabre-toothed hen in a Pattaya go-go bar.

warning! you have exhausted your quantity of free questions. additional questions will invoke consulting fees laugh.png

when an ignoramus like you resorts to personal insults i usually pity him and smile instead of wasting my time.

today i make an exception, throw in the magic expression "offshore income" and add that Farang retirees who are Thais at a certain pay grade are as rare as a sabre-toothed hen in a Pattaya go-go bar.

warning! you have exhausted your quantity of free questions. additional questions will invoke consulting fees laugh.png

As usual full of hot air......

i rephrase and change from "little do you know" to "nothing you know!" tongue.png

of course we pay VAT but only on a part of our expenses and only one third of what we would pay in our home countries.

but VAT is negligible pocket money for those with "coin". what counts is (in my case) that "arrogant" German finance minister Schäuble cannot levy an "arrogant and perverted" German income tax rate of 44.6% since we are living in Thailand.

there is also no tax at source for most pensioners as Thailand has ratified with many countries double tax agreements, reserving Thailand's right to levy income tax on pensions and social insurance but does not enforce that right.

Sorry pensioners living abroad from my country still pay taxes at the source some dont even bother to register themselves as expats because of loosing certain benefits and rights some are married or are living with a local lass and don't register said relationship because big brother would take away a large chunck of change from their fixed pension.

Never most western governments have made retirement age almost impossible ,living longer means working longer.....

Why blame the government? This type of attitude is why you won't retire. Take responsibility for your own destiny.

I am an offshore worker myself and have a few private pension funds and property in my country wich i invest in and looking at it now most of those funds will not last true all my retirement years.

Most old codgers retiring in Thailand where bleu colar workers making about 1500 to 2000 euro's a month at the end of their working carreers ,hardly an amount to brag about living in Thailand with maybe a new Thai family on a pension of 1200 euro a month is not what i call living the dream.

Most but not all.

Sorry pensioners living abroad from my country still pay taxes at the source some dont even bother to register themselves as expats because of loosing certain benefits and rights some are married or are living with a local lass and don't register said relationship because big brother would take away a large chunck of change from their fixed pension.

irrelevant comment concerning poor pensioners who can't afford to waive certain benefits granted by an anonymous nanny country because they have neither "coin" nor are they "gentlemen of own means" whistling.gif

Never most western governments have made retirement age almost impossible ,living longer means working longer.....

Are you saying there is some Western governments as bad as the UK one???? I do not believe it.

why do you persist going on?

you f.....d yourself in the knee right at the beginning confusing income tax and vat and now keep confusing issues and not even remembering your posts or who posted.

time to quit and let others get back to the original topic.

Retired, came here and invested in a little Resort, so as Nelson Mandela once said, I have retired from being retired, but it does give me a good balance in life of half day work and half day leisure, plus of course a very handsome top up to my various pensions so I can indulge my hobby of traveling the World.thumbsup.gif

I came to Thailand for a convention when I was 53 (14 years ago). When I returned home after 3 weeks I put my house on the market, gave up my work and moved to Thailand to live. I just loved the easy going, carefree way of life compared to the "rat race" I had come from.

Two thoughts made up my mind for me....the first was when a customer of mine once said to me....When a person is on their death bed and they are asked "Looking back over you life, have you any regrets"....you will never get the answer...."I wish I had spent more time in the office".....The second was when my Ex. once said to me....."There are no shops in Heaven nor pockets in the shroud".

It was the best decision I ever made in my life.

Retired 14 years 1 month 16 days ago.

After getting past the initial major lifestyle change, I haven't missed work one iota.

I'm 68 today.

I live comfortably on a couple of tax free, private income streams, and have not bothered to apply for the government OAP.

I'm happy living in Thailand and would not want to go back to the Western world under any circumstances.

Worked until I was 62. I could have gone out

5 years earlier, but I liked my profession, I was

Earning a nice salary and had 6 weeks vacation

Each year. It really paid off to do the extra years,

I play golf each week, play cards Monday evenings,

Swim and exercise daily; and travel at least 6 weeks

Each year. Retirement is great and Thailand is a

Wonderful place to retire and live.

Semi retired at 45. Fully retired at 49. Private income/wealth from working &lt;deleted&gt; hard from the age of 15 culminating in totally passive dividend income and wealth that I still have control over as a director, plus private income from private investments.

I'll never qualify for a government pension and shunned away from private schemes because it was obvious that most were a fiddle and there solely for the benefit of the administrators, who took no responsibility for their bad investment decisions. I decided at the age of 25 that relying on a "pension" of any sort as the bulk of your income post retirement was a very tenuous road to follow.

As for tax, I've said it before on this forum - treat the tax man like a mushroom and keep them in the dark. I've avoided more tax than I've paid in my lifetime through knowing how to dance around the rules. Most of my inclome is fully imputed, and the income that is liable for tax doesn't get declared.

Oh, and there's an old quote from somebody who said that once they retired they couldn't figure out how they ever found the time to go to work. How right they were!!!! thumbsup.gif

My plan was to retire at 52, but actually retired at 51. Close enough.

I absolutely enjoyed my work, but at the same time, resented the fact that 2 out of 5 workdays, I was "working for the government" - e.g. around 40% of my earnings were being taken as taxes. This, especially after seeing how my tax dollars were being pissed away, is what caused me to retire a year earlier than planned. Now I spend time figuring out the optimal way to tap various income streams in order to minimize taxes paid to a country where I receive no benefits. Life is good.

Semi retired at 45. Fully retired at 49. Private income/wealth from working <deleted> hard from the age of 15 culminating in totally passive dividend income and wealth that I still have control over as a director, plus private income from private investments.

I'll never qualify for a government pension and shunned away from private schemes because it was obvious that most were a fiddle and there solely for the benefit of the administrators, who took no responsibility for their bad investment decisions. I decided at the age of 25 that relying on a "pension" of any sort as the bulk of your income post retirement was a very tenuous road to follow.

As for tax, I've said it before on this forum - treat the tax man like a mushroom and keep them in the dark. I've avoided more tax than I've paid in my lifetime through knowing how to dance around the rules. Most of my inclome is fully imputed, and the income that is liable for tax doesn't get declared.

Oh, and there's an old quote from somebody who said that once they retired they couldn't figure out how they ever found the time to go to work. How right they were!!!! thumbsup.gif

Private income wich you earned before you invested would have been income taxed,unless you became loaded so to speak from criminal gains and as we are living in a very digitalized world the tax man knows also ,so the saying i never pay taxes is a load of crap .

Can't see myself retiring; to do what?

When I moved here 8 years ago at 39, I worked from home for 2 hours a day but it didn't take me long to realise that I had too much free time on my hands so I ramped up my workload and I'm much happier

The retirees I see around here in downtown Sukhumvit don't seem to do anything but drink and play pool day after day in between yammering on about 90 day reports and the rising cost and lack of authenticity of a full English at a British theme pub

Guess none of them post on here because all the pensioners on this thread seem to have retired at 40 with a few million bucks in the bank cheesy.gif

Semi retired at 45. Fully retired at 49. Private income/wealth from working <deleted> hard from the age of 15 culminating in totally passive dividend income and wealth that I still have control over as a director, plus private income from private investments.

Private income wich you earned before you invested would have been income taxed,unless you became loaded so to speak from criminal gains and as we are living in a very digitalized world the tax man knows also ,so the saying i never pay taxes is a load of crap .

Paid no income tax on my earnings for the last 26 years I worked. All perfectly legal, tax man gave me a tax code of NT. Explain that o wise one.

Paid no income tax on my earnings for the last 26 years I worked. All perfectly legal, tax man gave me a tax code of NT. Explain that o wise one.

So you where a pirate who sometimes sails back to his desert island to open that treasure chest and take some gold coins back to Thailand?

So you where a pirate who sometimes sails back to his desert island to open that treasure chest and take some gold coins back to Thailand?

No. Just followed the tax rules. If you are not required to pay tax why pay it? You are lumping everyone into your own tax requirements, a lot of other people will have different tax requirements some of which will be no income tax.

post-59621-0-77616900-1463391344_thumb.j You must be loaded mate as a person who never paid any income taxes!Butt a mortgage at 12 % intrest rate for youre sons condo you really must be a piss poor accountant .....

Edited by sickwaterbuffalo2