How/where To Buy Wood

chiang mai

Lumber yards are easy to find in the West but I never see any in Thailand. I'm currently going through the logistics of building a house (for me) and am toying with the idea of building a wood house in near Thai style. I know I can buy an existing wood house in Sukohthai since the owner wants it gone so as to build himself a concrete mansion but 350,000 is being asked. But even if I went down that route I would still need to buy additional lumber.

Has anyone been down this route before or can anyone shed any light on the subject. Before anyone points it out to me, yes, I have acquired land under a thirty year lease.

cheers

Lumber yards are easy to find in the West but I never see any in Thailand. I'm currently going through the logistics of building a house (for me) and am toying with the idea of building a wood house in near Thai style. I know I can buy an existing wood house in Sukohthai since the owner wants it gone so as to build himself a concrete mansion but 350,000 is being asked. But even if I went down that route I would still need to buy additional lumber.

Has anyone been down this route before or can anyone shed any light on the subject. Before anyone points it out to me, yes, I have acquired land under a thirty year lease.

cheers

Thaweephan Wood on the Chiang Mai / Mae Rim Rd in T. Don Kaew has some of the nicest though most expensive lumber in the Chinag Mai area. you may wish to pay them a visit. There are many other smaller yards around town, with varying degrees of quality wood available. make sure any lumber you buy is properly dried.

http://www.thaweephan.co.th/

are there construction grades of wood in Thailand...you know, kiln dried with good grain and no knotholes compared to sum substandard scaffolding plank that shouldn't be used even to support a small thai persons weight...???

any identifying stamps or markings on good construction grade lumber?...looking to build a deck that will have to support a load from big flowerpots at high level...

sorry CM...didn't mean to hijack...

cheers

Thanks for the feedback.