Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Pigs might fly

_56915401_battersea.jpg

very good. floyd fan then?

i'd be livid if my favourite building in london got taken over by that lot.

It is a Grade 2 listed building (and one of my favorites too) so Chelski cant knock it down and build a stadium. I assume the stadium would go next door. As I remember the developers are basically hoping that it will fall down by itself - it has been empty for 20 years. Alternatively I guess if Abromavich wants it, we will find it is subject to the most horrendous accidental fire.

Looking at Chelsea I cant help wondering where all the money goes.

Your wage bill at 170m is the same as City's but City seem to have a much better squad.

And although there is talk of the need to rebuild, Chelsea have already had net spend of 130m over the last two seasons. Admittedly City beats you here with 180m net spend but again you can see what they have bought. By contrast United is 50m, Lfc's 30m, Spurs 0 and Arsenal -10m.

So in the weird and ridiculous game that is 'will AVB make it to Xmas?' lets look at how the previous managers did in the 12 league games before they were sacked....

Grant 30

Ancelotti 26

Ranieri 24

Mourinho 23

AVB 22 (yes of course he hasnt been sacked yet)

Scolari 17

AVB targets winning streak

Having seen Chelsea get back to winning ways on Saturday, Andre Villas-Boas is looking for his side to put their renewed confidence to good use.

The Blues, who have wobbled at home and abroad in recent weeks, responded to the criticism that has been aimed in their direction in style with a 3-0 victory over Wolves.

Chelsea had the game won before half-time at Stamford Bridge, with an impressive showing in the opening 45 minutes reminding their detractors of what they are capable of.

Villas-Boas will not be getting carried away by one performance, but the Portuguese tactician is hoping to use the Wolves fixture as a springboard to future success.

"This win won't automatically take us on a winning streak, but we hope it does," he said.

"We have a big game against Liverpool in the Carling Cup next and this will be enough to give us desire to progress.

"We played with anxiety from the beginning (against Wolves) because of our recent run, but the players got the inspiration they needed to get the result and it was an important win for us.

"It's natural after the run we have had that self-confidence was a little low, but we got back on track. We are very proud of the team."

Villas-Boas was also pleased to see his much-maligned back four keep Wolves at bay.

"The clean sheet was important for us," he added.

"It was important for our pride, for our motivation. At Stamford Bridge we have conceded many in recent games so there is always that stigma from previous results, but I think the boys were solid and confident in defence." 

Don't write us off just yet. Still second in the form table Smokes (above you guys*) :rolleyes:.

I worry that Arsene will waste effort on the pesky Milk Cup again. I'm hoping for a second string Gunners team and I don't realy care if City win. I might prostitute my principles and watch this one out of curiosity though; could be quite relaxing watching an Arsenal game without sitting on the edge.

* Admittedly only on goal difference (?or is it alphabetical?). The one EPL True Visions News was using yesterday - I'm sure one can be constructed to show a different picture by varying the length of lookback (or is 7 games a recognised norm - cue Abrak?)

Edit: Sorry Seapok, forgot I was in your gaff, this belongs in ours.

Edited by SantiSuk

Don't write us off just yet. Still second in the form table Smokes (above you guys*) :rolleyes:.

I worry that Arsene will waste effort on the pesky Milk Cup again. I'm hoping for a second string Gunners team and I don't realy care if City win. I might prostitute my principles and watch this one out of curiosity though; could be quite relaxing watching an Arsenal game without sitting on the edge.

* Admittedly only on goal difference (?or is it alphabetical?). The one EPL True Visions News was using yesterday - I'm sure one can be constructed to show a different picture by varying the length of lookback (or is 7 games a recognised norm - cue Abrak?)

I think bookies generally refer to form as 6 games. But theoretically I guess form could be any length of games.

Unfortunately you forgot to provide the table. I did really want to see it as I dont think I can think of a 'form' table of any length (other than 1 game) in which you might come second. Obviously the table is a form league of 13 games. You got 1 point from your last 3 games last year and I was looking at a 31 game form league (the length of KD's managership) the other day.

If you want me to take a wild guess (and it is only a guess) what you were actually looking at was not a 'form' table but actually a table of last year's results. Yes Chelsea did come second and yes it was only a matter of goal difference and yes you would also have been second if after points your position was decided by alphabetical order. It is Truevision News afterall :D

I think bookies generally refer to form as 6 games. But theoretically I guess form could be any length of games.

Unfortunately you forgot to provide the table. I did really want to see it as I dont think I can think of a 'form' table of any length (other than 1 game) in which you might come second. Obviously the table is a form league of 13 games. You got 1 point from your last 3 games last year and I was looking at a 31 game form league (the length of KD's managership) the other day.

If you want me to take a wild guess (and it is only a guess) what you were actually looking at was not a 'form' table but actually a table of last year's results. Yes Chelsea did come second and yes it was only a matter of goal difference and yes you would also have been second if after points your position was decided by alphabetical order. It is Truevision News afterall :D

If it ever came down to alphabetical order we'd be reminding that lot from south east London....biggrin.gif

If it ever came down to alphabetical order we'd be reminding that lot from south east London....biggrin.gif

At one stage last season the bottom 3 clubs in the league were also the bottom 3 clubs in alphabetical order West Ham, Wigan and Wolves.

The chances of that happening are actually incredibly small.

T'was definitely a form table Abrak - I had always thought that these would be a good idea - had even thought of keeping my own spreadsheet but that's a bit anal, even for a supporter of a team that is eponymously that way inclined - so I was interested that they were showing it for the first time.

It showed 5 or 6 wins followed by a draw for Arsenal (on reflection it must have been 5 wins so it must have been a six game look back) and a draw followed by 5 wins for Spurs. One of the Spurs lads can tell us whether that conforms to their form. Curious on reflection that Spurs would not have come second, since their draw was at the start of the look-back period. Man City were no 1 - they presumably must have been 5 wins and a draw. They would be number 1 on goal difference or goals scored so that narrows down how they rank teams on equal points.

They showed the top half of the table based on form and then the bottom half. Sunderland were second bottom I seem to recall (Bolton bottom). It was the 2 hour Premier League review programme - the one that's a bit like Match of the Day - useful on catching sight of the games you don't want to sit thru 90 minutes of.

Maybe there's a role for a statistical analyst on these football review programmes - rather like Bloomberg and CNBC bring a chart analyst out of the cupboard to supplement all the baseless punditry and self-interested pumping that goes on from 'experts'. Fancy the job?

T'was definitely a form table Abrak - I had always thought that these would be a good idea - had even thought of keeping my own spreadsheet but that's a bit anal, even for a supporter of a team that is eponymously that way inclined - so I was interested that they were showing it for the first time.

It showed 5 or 6 wins followed by a draw for Arsenal (on reflection it must have been 5 wins so it must have been a six game look back) and a draw followed by 5 wins for Spurs. One of the Spurs lads can tell us whether that conforms to their form. Curious on reflection that Spurs would not have come second, since their draw was at the start of the look-back period. Man City were no 1 - they presumably must have been 5 wins and a draw. They would be number 1 on goal difference or goals scored so that narrows down how they rank teams on equal points.

They showed the top half of the table based on form and then the bottom half. Sunderland were second bottom I seem to recall (Bolton bottom). It was the 2 hour Premier League review programme - the one that's a bit like Match of the Day - useful on catching sight of the games you don't want to sit thru 90 minutes of.

Maybe there's a role for a statistical analyst on these football review programmes - rather like Bloomberg and CNBC bring a chart analyst out of the cupboard to supplement all the baseless punditry and self-interested pumping that goes on from 'experts'. Fancy the job?

Unfortunateely I am totally anal about these things. I believe you have lost 3 of the last 6 so clearly '5 or 6 wins followed by a draw' would put Arssenal ahead of you as well as '5 wins and a draw' by Spurs. Even if I take it back 31 games you are 3rd on 57 points.

Actually the other likely view of that table is that it is simply old and it represented form before you started losing matches. we are kind of discussing what a table that doesnt exist looked like when it did.

Abrak it is perfectly reasonable to be anal on the Chelsea thread :) nothing unfortunate in that here.

Talking about anal I hear a rumour Seapok 's in the huff cos we aint congratulated him on his fine achievement. What's next mate....2001 the AVB Odyssey.....vampire.gif

Here ya go Seapok....clap2.gif

Abrak it is perfectly reasonable to be anal on the Chelsea thread :) nothing unfortunate in that here.

Talking about anal I hear a rumour Seapok 's in the huff cos we aint congratulated him on his fine achievement. What's next mate....2001 the AVB Odyssey.....vampire.gif

Cheers mate, I feel so much better now. I'm off to the Bridge tonight to see us smash the bin dippers, hopefully kin Kenny will keep his promise and play only youth team players, that way Torres might bag a couple of goals to improve his confidence!

Cheers mate, I feel so much better now. I'm off to the Bridge tonight to see us smash the bin dippers, hopefully kin Kenny will keep his promise and play only youth team players, that way Torres might bag a couple of goals to improve his confidence!

Are both sides playing their first team tonight Seapok? If so I will wade through the rain to the pub to watch.....if its the Anelka/£35m tussle then I'll stay dry....info please...? jap.gif

1322581502[/url]' post='4880315']
1322574341[/url]' post='4880081']
1322573795[/url]' post='4880063']

laugh.gif You were saying?

Would be a shame to lose another potentially great manager from the EPL. I'd take most of the Chelsea 'failures' as Wenger's successor. 'Bout time that Abramowitch recognised that he is the problem not his managers

Continued poor showing by the mega transfer botch players. Anyone else fancy doing a £35m plus deal in the January window?

Would be a shame to lose another potentially great manager from the EPL. I'd take most of the Chelsea 'failures' as Wenger's successor. 'Bout time that Abramowitch recognised that he is the problem not his managers

Continued poor showing by the mega transfer botch players. Anyone else fancy doing a £35m plus deal in the January window?

Yeah we didn't play well at all tonight and Liverpool were deserved winners but you bin dippers can't say much about how poor Torres is playing, watching Carrol playing live was shocking, he is <deleted> useless, you are lucky you have Suarez to compensate for how poor Carrol really is :D

Yes interesting that you call him 'potentially great'. I mean I think most people recognize that Ancellotti is a great manager but we dont really know enough about AVB. I get the impression if he was a player Chelsea would have sent him out on loan to Bolton for a couple of seasons to see how he develops.

Hammers fan here, I do like AVB and I think he will be great for you, but you need to get rid of some dead wood. Frank Jnr, JT, Anelka and Drogba, and Torres. The other day I watched MOTD and agreed with Mark Lawrenson, that the midfield were better (against Wolves), shame they cannot continue like it.

RA needs to think that money does not buy success, and that AVB needs time to develop his own style, we all remember how close Sir AF was to getting the chop at UTD. And AVB does not need Hiddink standing behind him.

Being as he is only 35 (AVB) am sure that the more senior players are not taking him seriously, whereas the younger players are.

Edited by beano2274

Hammers fan here, I do like AVB and I think he will be great for you, but you need to get rid of some dead wood. Frank Jnr, JT, Anelka and Drogba, and Torres. The other day I watched MOTD and agreed with Mark Lawrenson, that the midfield were better (against Wolves), shame they cannot continue like it.

RA needs to think that money does not buy success, and that AVB needs time to develop his own style, we all remember how close Sir AF was to getting the chop at UTD. And AVB does not need Hiddink standing behind him.

I'll say it again as i said before on another thread. Terry is aweful. Hopelessly slow, can't turn. What is he doing playing for Chelsea let alone captain of England!!! Unbelievable.

Chelsea will struggle to make fifth because the slow and aging will just deteriorate more as the season progresses. The bright lights holding it together seem to be Mata and Sturridge

I think Sturridge is gonna be the player of the season for Chelsea, and he is gonna push hard for an England spot. Mata looked impressive, still not sure about Meireles. But the old dead wood has got to go. I was so surprised when Scotty Parker went to Spurs, I thought Chelsea needed a player like him.

I think Sturridge is gonna be the player of the season for Chelsea, and he is gonna push hard for an England spot. Mata looked impressive, still not sure about Meireles. But the old dead wood has got to go. I was so surprised when Scotty Parker went to Spurs, I thought Chelsea needed a player like him.

To be fair to Chelsea i don't think Spurs fans knew just how good Parker would be for us. The thing with Chelsea is they need replacements in every department and its impossible for a manager when you have an owner like Abramivich constantly sticking his beak into matters he doesn't know enough about. Then again, Chelsea is his little plaything.

I agree with Abrak. Villas Boas must have gone to Chelsea for the money so no sympathy for him but i just don't see how a manger can create longterm success working under Abramivich. If Mourinho had stayed they would have won the champions league he is so obsessed with.

Chelsea's problems are all of their own making. What is Terry doing at Chelsea? What do you think? The same as everybody else at Chelsea, making shed loads of money. If you give aging players long contracts on huge amounts of money you will find you have employed some of the most loyal and committed players in the League who are incredibly difficult to get rid of. You will also tend to find that these loyal and committed legends tend to think that it is better to get rid of the manager rather than the manager get rid of them.

And surely the problem with AVB is that he is already a legend at 35. By that I mean you have to be pretty sure of yourself and incredibly arrogant as a manager to try and make players fit your system rather than choose a system that fits your players.

Why try to employ Barcelona tactics of high line and high tempo when your squad has no inherent pace? I know at Liverpool if we used a high defensive line with Carragher, we would question why you would choose a high defensive line and not question why Carragher is too slow because we already know he is slow and he is not going to speed up. And it seems much the same applies to Terry. All he really needs to do to fit into the system is run faster.

So the question is really whether AVB will be given the time and resources to stick with his tactics and change half the squad or whether Chelsea ends up sticking with its squad and changing the manager again.