Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Scolari plots 'revolution'

New Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has warned his inherited squad that nobody is safe at Stamford Bridge.

Scolari takes charge of the Premier League club following Portugal's elimination from Euro 2008 and has revealed that he is ready to overhaul the Blues.

The likes of Nicolas Anelka, Florent Malouda and Shaun Wright-Phillips could all face Scolari's axe, while the former Brazil boss is believed to be keen to land Barcelona pair Ronaldinho and Deco.

But Scolari has also hinted that he will be keen to build a committed Chelsea squad, which could signal the departure of Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba as speculation continues over the duo's future.

"It will be a revolution especially in terms of mentality," Scolari told the News of the World.

"First there will need to be an overhaul, as happens in any company when they change boss.

"When that happens I don't know, because it depends on the human resources, on the whole team.

"I confess, for the first few games I will have difficulty in identifying all the players and getting their fusion right.

"Everyone has their personality, their way of working and their way of seeing players. I will begin by seeing players in training because you see different reactions there."

And Scolari also insists that he will not be afraid to tread on a few toes in West London as he bids to build a winning team following Chelsea's empty-handed 2007/08 campaign.

"My choices are purely tactical ones. I pick the players I think are the best," added Scolari. "I only give explanations about players I pick, never about others.

"I won't give explanations about any player not selected. Whoever is not selected is not selected.

"Let them be unhappy with it. They know that's the way it is in football. I, as a coach, have to live with the responsibility of choosing.

"Nobody knows what goes on inside my head. That's why it's better not to respond to some criticism."

Seems like The News Of The World has already made up its mind who is going to be shown the door,not that this particular newspapers views have has any credibility anyway.

Don't forget it was the Sun that sacked Graham Turner from the England job :o

Seems like The News Of The World has already made up its mind who is going to be shown the door,not that this particular newspapers views have has any credibility anyway.

Current Buns one of the most influental papers in the world, Taylor/Turner was tictac'd due to being incompetent and not qualifying for the World Cup.

Graham Taylor was,arguably,even more incompetent than Steve McClaren as the England boss,which is saying something !

Graham Turner has been manager of Hereford for many years.He took them down into the Conference then back up and they were promoted to Division 1 last season.

But easy to see where the confusion is with similar surnames.

I think Deco has just signed for Chelsea.

Anyone know how old he is, in his 30's perhaps?

Hardly a youthful aquisition, but more than handy in the midfield and in this day and age of big squads, probably very necessary for rotation purposes.

It will be interesting to see how he gets treated in the Premier League.

I think Deco has just signed for Chelsea.

Anyone know how old he is, in his 30's perhaps?

Hardly a youthful aquisition, but more than handy in the midfield and in this day and age of big squads, probably very necessary for rotation purposes.

It will be interesting to see how he gets treated in the Premier League.

It's true. This from soccernet.com

Portugal playmaker Deco immediately set his sights on Premier League and European glory after joining Chelsea tonight.

The Blues made their move for the 30-year-old midfielder after he was told he did not feature in Barcelona's future plans.

The Brazil-born player is the club's first signing since the appointment of Luiz Felipe Scolari as manager and he is believed to have cost around £8million.

Deco told Chelsea's website: 'It is good for me to be here and first of all I am very happy to be here.

'I am sure I have come at the right time to do great things and be able to help Chelsea go back to the way it was and come back to being the first one, not only in England but also to win the Champions League that has been their dream for so long.'

Deco's move will see him link up once again with Scolari, his national coach at Euro 2008, and another Portugal team-mate in Jose Bosingwa, who signed for the club earlier in the summer.

His exit from the Nou Camp proved to a protracted one due to the Catalans' initial valuation of around £11million for the player, despite his age.

The two-time Champions League-winner had been linked with Inter Milan, where his former Porto boss Jose Mourinho is now manager, but the Italians appear to have been put off by the price. Chelsea, however, seem to have negotiated the fee down to sign Deco on what is thought to be a two-year deal.

New coach Scolari officially starts work at Chelsea tomorrow morning and will undoubtedly be happy with the club's transfer business so far.

Deco's arrival significantly boosts a midfield talent pool already boasting the likes of Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack, Michael Essien, Mikel Jon Obi and Claude Makelele.

Yet Scolari is likely to have a busy first week ahead of him with top priority likely to be persuading England international Lampard and defender Ricardo Carvalho to stay.

Both have attracted interest from Mourinho's Inter and Lampard, with just one year remaining on his contract, recently refused to rule out a move.

Chelsea were planning to hold contract talks with Portugal international Carvalho, who has only just started his holiday due to Euro 2008, but Brazilian defender Alcides says he is returning from his loan spell at PSV Eindhoven to replace him.

Alcides has been with the Dutch club for the last 18 months and said: 'PSV wanted me to stay but I have learned that Chelsea want me back. It seems Carvalho is leaving and I am going to replace him.'

Scolari's arrival at Stamford Bridge has been welcomed by former Chelsea manager Ruud Gullit.

The Dutch legend, who originally moved to Stamford Bridge as a player in 1995 before becoming player-manager a year later, is now in charge at Los Angeles Galaxy in the United States.

'He is the right choice at the moment,' said Gullit. 'I think he is a passionate coach, he does everything with the heart.

'He tries to win with good football, and he did that with the Brazilian national team and with Portugal, so he knows how to play.'

Chelsea sign Barca playmaker Deco

Chelsea have signed Portugal midfielder Deco from Spanish giants Barcelona on a two-year deal for a fee of about £8m.

The 30-year-old was recently told by Barca's new coach Pep Guardiola that he did not feature in their future plans.

"It is good for me to be here and first of all I am very happy to be here," Deco told Chelsea's official website.

Deco becomes the Blues' first signing since Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was appointed manager earlier this month.

However, his signing is Chelsea's second of the summer after international team-mate Jose Bosingwa.

Brazil-born Deco joined Barcelona from Porto in 2004 after helping the Portuguese side win the Uefa Cup, Champions League and domestic league titles under former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho.

He won two league championships with the Catalan giants, and was part of the team that beat Arsenal in the Champions League final in Paris in 2006.

However, a series of injuries hampered him during the 2007-08 season, and he made just 14 starts in Barcelona's La Liga campaign.

"I am sure I have come at the right time to do great things and be able to help Chelsea go back to the way it was and come back to being the first one, not only in England but also to win the Champions League that has been their dream for so long," added Deco.

"The Premier League is a great league and it is getting better and you can see that with the Champions League final, where you had two English teams."

Deco's arrival significantly boosts a midfield line-up already featuring the likes of Frank Lampard, Michael Ballack, Michael Essien, Jon Mikel Obi and Claude Makelele.

"It is great that we have so many great players here at Chelsea and it is great that there is the competition which is healthy for everybody and this just makes the team better," he added.

"To have great players in any position of the club just enhances the club. I know it is a new challenge but I am looking forward to it."

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard said that Deco caught the eye in Scolari's midfield during Euro 2008 more than team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo.

"A two-year deal suggests he is not a long-term building block. He will be 31 in August but his winners' pedigree, Champions League triumphs with Barcelona and Porto will balance recent fears about fitness and consistency," said Legard.

And Legard believes Deco's arrival makes Lampard's possible exit to Inter Milan even more likely.

"Deco's arrival looks like hastening the departure of Frank Lampard, who has done little to quell long-term speculation that he is bound for a reunion with Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan.

"Barring a last-minute change of heart on both sides it's a question of when he signs in Italy, not if."

Sahar makes Pompey switch

Chelsea starlet Ben Sahar has joined Portsmouth on a six-month loan deal.

The highly-rated 18-year-old spent time at Queens Park Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday last season and Chelsea have decided to once again send him out for more regular football.

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has been busy trying to strengthen his squad since the start of the summer and has now beaten off competition from several other clubs to secure Sahar for the first half of the new campaign.

The Israeli forward is delighted to be on his way to Fratton Park and hopes to make an impact in the Premier League.

"I've always wanted to be part of a Premier League team and I'm happy to be at Portsmouth," he told the club's official website.

"I'm ready for the challenge of being part of such a big club.

"I want to be part of it and to show that I deserve to be here."

Another huge wage bill off our books, can only be a good thing.

Crespo released from Chelsea deal

Striker Hernan Crespo has officially left Chelsea after the Argentine's contract at Stamford Bridge expired.

Crespo, 33 on Saturday, joined Chelsea in 2003 and scored 10 league goals in his first season for the Blues.

But he never settled at the London club and was loaned to Italian side AC Milan a year later.

Crespo returned to win the Premier League title in 2005/06 but was soon back in Italy and has spent the past two seasons on loan at Inter Milan.

Crespo is now a free agent and following former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho's appointment as Inter coach, he is reportedly keen to sign a permanent deal with the Italian champions.

Crespo was one of the first signings made by Claudio Ranieri after Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003.

"We thank Hernan for his efforts in a Chelsea shirt, and wish him well in the future," said a Chelsea statement.

Another huge wage bill off our books, can only be a good thing.

Crespo released from Chelsea deal

Striker Hernan Crespo has officially left Chelsea after the Argentine's contract at Stamford Bridge expired.

Crespo, 33 on Saturday, joined Chelsea in 2003 and scored 10 league goals in his first season for the Blues.

But he never settled at the London club and was loaned to Italian side AC Milan a year later.

Crespo returned to win the Premier League title in 2005/06 but was soon back in Italy and has spent the past two seasons on loan at Inter Milan.

Crespo is now a free agent and following former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho's appointment as Inter coach, he is reportedly keen to sign a permanent deal with the Italian champions.

Crespo was one of the first signings made by Claudio Ranieri after Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003.

"We thank Hernan for his efforts in a Chelsea shirt, and wish him well in the future," said a Chelsea statement.

Wages aside, Mr. S. I was a big admirer of Hernon before and during his time at the club.He was a very intelligent player with his movement off the ball.He would find acres of space in the penalty area but,quite often,would not get the ball his effort deserved.Its a pity that we got him towards the end of his career.Just after he had arrived in Europe,I saw him play for Parma against A C Milan in Italy and he was sensational.

Chelsea play down Kaka bid claims

Chelsea say they have not made an offer for Kaka, despite claims from AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani that they made an "astronomical" bid.

The Blues have long been linked with a move for the 26-year-old world player of the year and their boss is now ex-Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Galliani told Italian newspaper La Stampa: "We received an astronomical offer from Chelsea for Kaka."

But BBC Sport understands Chelsea have not made any bid for the Brazilian.

The AC Milan vice-president also revealed there has been interest in their 29-year-old Italy midfielder Andrea Pirlo.

Pirlo's agent has been reported as saying in the Italian press he wants his client to be given the same wage as Kaka.

But Galliani added: "For Pirlo, there have been many requests but neither Pirlo nor his agent have come into my office and asked me for an improvement in salary."

Galliani says selling Kaka and Pirlo would immediately stabilise Milan's finances, with the club having missed out on a place in next season's Champions League.

"All we would need to do in order to wipe out our debts is sell Kaka and Pirlo," he said.

AC Milan technical director Leonardo reiterated that Kaka would not be leaving the San Siro under any circumstances.

Last month the Brazilian told BBC Sport it was "impossible" for Chelsea to sign the player. "I can only repeat what we keep saying - there is no possibility of Kaka moving away from Milan," Leonardo said.

"We have not received an official bid for him. He is very close to AC Milan and has a very, very good relationship with the club."

Kaka himself revealed to BBC Sport in April he would not rule out the possibility of one day playing for one of the big clubs in the Premier League.

New Chelsea boss Scolari will meet up with the current squad on Monday when the players return for pre-season training.

On Sunday he toured the Cobham training ground and met key members of staff.

Inter begin Lampard negotiations

Inter Milan have opened negotiations to sign Chelsea and England midfielder Frank Lampard, BBC Sport understands.

The Serie A club are believed to have sent a fax to Chelsea to begin the process of reuniting the 30-year-old with former Blues coach Jose Mourinho.

Earlier this month, Mourinho, who became Inter boss in June, said he did not expect to sign Lampard this summer.

The ex-West Ham star is into the final year of his Chelsea contract and is yet to commit his future to the club.

Reports on Monday suggested that the opening offer from Inter was £6.5m for Lampard, who is set to leave for free next summer.

The recent arrival at Stamford Bridge of Portugal central midfielder Deco, who was also courted by Mourinho and who has joined the Blues on a two-year deal from Barcelona, may hasten Lampard's exit.

There are also reports circulating that Chelsea striker Didier Drogba could be set for a reunion with Mourinho.

The Portuguese boss indicated in June that he would like to work with the Ivory Coast international again.

"I cannot forget Deco, Lampard and Drogba. These are players who I could never say no to," stated Mourinho.

"I would love to work with them again in the future but I am not too obsessed with this idea."

He added: "I don't know which of these three will leave their clubs but we will see."

If Mourinho bids for Drogba then he may face a fight for his signature from local rivals AC Milan, whose technical director Leonardo told BBC Sport that they are also keen on the forward.

Lampard wants to stay - Scolari

New Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari insists Frank Lampard has told him he wants to remain at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues have rejected an official approach from Inter Milan to discuss the transfer of the England midfielder.

But after meeting Lampard the Brazilian told Chelsea TV there is no chance of the 30-year-old joining ex-Blues boss Jose Mourinho at the Italian club.

"I was very happy because I asked if he wants to stay and he said 'yes, I will stay at Chelsea'," said Scolari.

BBC Sport revealed on Monday that Inter had contacted the Blues over Lampard.

However, a statement on Chelsea's website on Tuesday read: "We have informed Inter that we will not enter into any discussions regarding the transfer."

Lampard's contract expires next summer and should he fail to agree a new deal with Chelsea before then, the former West Ham star would be free to leave Stamford Bridge

without his new club paying a fee.

However, BBC football correspondent Jonathan Legard said on Monday that Chelsea still expect Lampard to see out the final year of his contract and, if anything, sign a new longer-term deal.

Other reports had suggested that Lampard might be willing to buy out the remaining 12 months of his contract, as permitted under Fifa rules, and following Chelsea's signing of Portugal midfielder Deco from Barcelona in June.

Quality reporting by the BBC there, within the pace of 24 hours, Inter have started negotiations for W*nk, then he's pledging his allegience to Chelsea 24 hours later after Chelsea say they have informed Inter that no discussions will be entered... :o

Scolari unfazed by Blues pressure

Chelsea's new manager Luiz Felipe Scolari insists he can handle the pressure of expectation from the club's hierarchy and fans.

Former Brazil and Portugal coach Scolari, who took over on 1 July, said: "I know the pressure to win every game.

"We have a pressure and I know how to manage it as in Brazil they eat and sleep football - it is all football.

"So because of pressure from my own people I think I am prepared for this and in my mind I feel prepared."

Scolari led Brazil to a World Cup triumph in 2002 and has won the Copa Libertadores, which is the South American equivalent of the Champions League, twice with Gremio and Palmeiras.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich appears desperate to win the Champions League and he will be hoping Scolari is the man to deliver that prize after former bosses Jose Mourinho and Avram Grant failed on that front.

And Grant was sacked at the end of last season when Chelsea were beaten to both the Premier League title and Champions League trophy by Manchester United.

"For a long time I have been a player and coach and in that time I have wanted to win and if I lost it was difficult to accept," added Brazilian Scolari.

"Maybe in life you need to fight and I don't accept not winning.

"Me and my staff and players and the board want to win all the competitions. I think we have the potential to win all competitions that we have entered.

"We want the best for Chelsea and the players and fans. I don't know how many championships we will win - one, two, three - but we will try to win them all."

Scolari has spoken to both midfielder Frank Lampard and striker Didier Drogba after both were linked with moves away from Stamford Bridge.

But the Brazilian said both were part of his plans, while John Terry would remain as the club's captain.

Scolari wants to create a family atmosphere within the Blues camp but is yet to decide on who he is prepared to offload.

If it's possible we will try to play beautiful football but sometimes if you want to win you cannot play like that

Luiz Felipe Scolari

"I respect my players," he said. "I like my players as a family. I give them all that they need and I want respect for me and my staff. I want dedication.

"I want them happy because football is beautiful.

"I don't know now how many changes I need to make. I need to train and see the players.

"You need to know the group and the character and qualities and then after this I can say who we need and do not need."

The 59-year-old was unconcerned about any possible involvement in team affairs from Abramovich.

"I have met him (Roman) two times and we have a very good relationship," he said.

"I have respect for him and vice versa. When we discuss Chelsea and players it is normal."

Chelsea have been accused of lacking a flair to their football under Mourinho and Grant and Scolari will work to improve that reputation - but not at the cost of a winning.

"If it's possible we will try to play beautiful football but sometimes if you want to win you cannot play like that.

"Sure I want to win and play beautiful but sometimes it is impossible."

Mourinho hailed himself as 'The Special One' at his first news conference and when asked if he was special Scolari answered: "Yes.

"I am special for my friend, family and country. As a manager - so, so."

Do people talk & discuss things in the Chelsea thread or are West Ham just simpkly not welcome ??

Only when there's something worth discussing.Personally,I've never been the type of person who tries to make something out of nothing at all.West Ham,West Brom... ...whoever have as much right to discuss topics of interest on this thread as anybody,but,when you start having cheap shots at the club I've supported since I was conceived,then I will retaliate.Just as YOU would on the West Ham thread, Mr.M?

Villa set to clinch Sidwell deal

Aston Villa have agreed to sign Chelsea midfielder Steve Sidwell in a £5m deal subject to him passing a medical.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill now expects his lengthy pursuit of the former England under-21 star to be completed by Thursday at the latest.

Sidwell, 25, failed to establish himself at Chelsea after moving from Reading on a free transfer last summer.

He is the likely replacement for captain Gareth Barry when he finally completes his move to Liverpool.

If Sidwell's medical goes to plan, he will then fly out to link up with Villa's pre-season tour of Switzerland.

Sidwell was part of the Arsenal side that won the FA Youth Cup in 2000 and 2001 and had loan spells with Brentford and Brighton.

He was unable to force his way into the first team with the Gunners and moved to Reading in January 2003 on a four-and-a-half-year deal.

Sidwell played a big role in Reading gaining promotion to the top flight for the first time two years ago.

But he rejected a new contract that summer and left the Royals on a free transfer to move to Chelsea in 2007.

O'Neill, meanwhile, could name Martin Laursen as captain in place of Barry, who is waiting to get the go-ahead to complete his switch to Anfield.

He said: "There are a number of people on the list and Martin Laursen would certainly be one of the names I'd be thinking about.

"He was terrific last season. There are a number of people who would want it but there are a number of people who are on my list who might not want it. I haven't discussed it yet.

"There are quite a few candidates at the club and perhaps others not yet at the club so that's something I'll look at further down the line."

Do people talk & discuss things in the Chelsea thread or are West Ham just simpkly not welcome ??

Only when there's something worth discussing.Personally,I've never been the type of person who tries to make something out of nothing at all.West Ham,West Brom... ...whoever have as much right to discuss topics of interest on this thread as anybody,but,when you start having cheap shots at the club I've supported since I was conceived,then I will retaliate.Just as YOU would on the West Ham thread, Mr.M?

Cheap shots ??? :o

It's only a bit if banter, you know that..

& if we can't have a bit of banter between Chelsea & West Ham, we mnigth aswell all give up in my opinion...:D

Scolari charms to take top billing

Luiz Felipe Scolari arrived between adverts for a "Legends Of Swing Tribute Night" and a Tom Jones impersonator - but there was only one man claiming top billing at the hotel in deepest Cobham.

And that was Chelsea's new coach as he capped his coronation with a glittering performance of charm, passion and a command of the English language that made mugs of us all.

Scolari pitched his arrival neatly between the swagger and self-confidence of Jose Mourinho and the under-stated humility of Avram Grant.

It was a combination that worked to perfection and made this a very good day for Chelsea's hierarchy, who sat and looked justifiably elated with their new man's first public outing.

Scolari cut a calmer figure than when I have seen him previously, stripped of his trademark tracksuit and encased neatly inside a smart suit and club tie.

He arrived to the predictable barrage of flashbulbs - and kept a surprise up his sleeve for when the cameras went away.

Scolari not only answered questions directly and almost always unhesitatingly, he answered them in excellent English, a skill he has shrewdly kept under wraps until he needed it most.

He had a female interpreter on hand for help, but she was not needed until he was tested with a question about whether he would like to see Cristiano Ronaldo leave Manchester United.

Scolari, perhaps sensing dangerous territory, checked the wording before delivering a most emphatic denial that he had ever interfered in Ronaldo's decision-making process - an answer that may, or may not, allay any suspicions harboured by Sir Alex Ferguson.

He still had all the glorious wild facial expressions and tic-tac hand movements that made him such a colourful figure as coach of Brazil and Portugal, but it appears he keeps his full fire for the touchline.

And as he gained in confidence, the eyes danced a little more and the hands waved with greater animation, a sign of the true Scolari perhaps.

He laughed off the idea of pressure with the words "when you are coach of Brazil...." and claimed the only heat he felt was coming from his need to show off his grasp of English under the public gaze.

It was so good he even found time for a joke against his interpreter when she hesitated over a translation.

"She is more afraid than me," he said in a flash - so much for the man we so ignorantly announced might struggle to leap over the language barrier.

There was none of the bluster I had witnessed from Scolari at close quarters with Brazil and Portugal. He was composed, assured and confident.

The Scolari I saw in Japan, Portugal and Germany appeared to be a man on the edge, capable of grand gestures and indulging in melodrama - including once offering to marry the entire Portugal FA - metaphorically speaking of course.

He was also a man of the people. I well recall the contrast between Portugal's humble media base when they were the host country and the circus of self-importance that trailed along in England's wake.

Visitors, particularly youngsters, were welcomed by Scolari and he showed a genuine common touch that I believe will appeal to Chelsea's supporters as he grows into his new job.

Of course there was also that madcap edge to his character, but let's not carp about that - let's embrace it as another great addition to the Premier League.

Here is a man Ferguson will not bully or psyche out. He's seen the old tricks before and has used a few of them as well. But here we had Scolari the serene, Scolari setting out his hopes and ambitions for his new paymasters and supporters.

This did not look like a coach who cuffed an opposition player - this was a coach with a clear vision for Chelsea, but there lurked the underlying threat that this was a man with an unmistakeable winning mentality.

Of course he spoke of the "beautiful football" that owner Roman Abramovich (or "Mr Roman" as Scolari called him) wants to see at Stamford Bridge, but he was quick to remind us of his pragmatic side.

Scolari, above all, wants winning football and will adopt whatever tactics it takes to get it.

He was not simply on a charm offensive, he was full of positive news for Chelsea fans who wanted a check on the futures of their star players.

Frank Lampard wants to stay for years. Didier Drogba was "200%" part of his plans. John Terry was his captain. Lampard was not just staying, he was still vice-captain.

And of course, correctly, he announced he was indeed "The Special One." And as a World Cup winner with Brazil in 2002, why shouldn't he be?

However, unlike the great Jose, he was not a special one to himself, Scolari was special for his friends, family and country.

And his country had come to Cobham to see him in the shape of Brazil's media, along with representatives from Portugal, Spain and Italy.

But is he special as a coach? "So so" said the Modest One.

This was a big day for Chelsea and one they can be pleased with. They needed good news and a fresh start after ending last season empty-handed and receiving criticism for the ruthless sacking of Avram Grant.

Scolari's performance provided it and Chelsea's top brass looked suitably pleased. Chief executive Peter Kenyon and members of Scolari's backroom staff - including the surviving Steve Clarke - took front row seats with the media and left the top table spotlight to Scolari.

He basked in it comfortably and Chelsea will now hope he will adjust as quickly to the heat of Premier League battle against the men who will be his closest adversaries, Ferguson and Arsene Wenger.

Scolari accepts 'gamble'

Luiz Felipe Scolari insists he will bring world-class football to Stamford Bridge after admitting Chelsea 'gambled' in making him their new manager.

The Brazilian claims he is 'not afraid' of the job and will strive to repay the club by making high profile signings.

Scolari was named as Avram Grant's successor midway through his Portugal side's Euro 2008 campaign despite concerns about his lack of experience in top-level European club football.

The former Brazil manager agrees that there was an element of risk in his appointment but has backed himself to deliver the results that owner Roman Abramovich wants.

"Chelsea gambled on my ability but I believe in myself," said Scolari.

"I had two meetings with the owner Roman Abramovich (before getting the job). He said to me 'I want Chelsea to play well, beautiful and win.' I said 'Yes, I agree with you.'

"I am not afraid of my job. All over the world coaches need to win competitions, not only in Chelsea."

Chelsea are yet to win the Champions League since Abramovich bought the club with Grant coming closest last season, guiding the side to the final of the competition.

But Scolari denies his focus will be on European success, insisting every competition is important.

"My pressure is the desire to become world-class, not just to win the Champions League," continued Scolari.

"If I say to my players that the Champions League is more important than another competition, I think the players might only prepare for the Champions League.

"I don't think that's the correct way to look at it. I need to prepare my players for the Carling Cup, the FA Cup, for the Champions League, for the Premier League.

"If I say to my players all competitions are important for Chelsea, then I think that is the way."

Scolari also clarified his position with Abramovich, insisting that he has full control of all on-field decisions.

"I also told him that when it comes to the pitch it is all mine, no-one interferes," insisted Scolari. "He was happy with that."

Bridge signs new Chelsea contract

Chelsea left-back Wayne Bridge has signed a new four-year deal to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge.

The 27-year-old, who joined the Blues in the summer of 2003, has made 130 appearances, scoring four goals.

He signed the contract last month before new manager Luis Felipe Scolari arrived at the club, but Scolari is delighted to have him on board.

"I am very pleased for Wayne that he has committed his future to Chelsea," said the Brazilian.

"I have been here only a few days but I have seen that he is one of the best professionals at the club. I very much like his playing style."

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon added: "We are delighted that Wayne has committed himself to Chelsea for the next four years. He is a key member of our squad and is relishing the challenge of the arrival of a new manager.

"We are fortunate at Chelsea that we have the two best left-backs in England and it is a source of pride for us.

"Wayne's new deal also underlines the club's commitment to maintaining a strong English core to our squad."

Kaka keen on Blues switch

Kaka's advisor, Diogo Kotscho, insists that the Brazilian playmaker is desperate to join Chelsea.

The Milan forward has long been touted as a potential summer transfer target for the Blues, with reports now suggesting that discussions have taken place between the two clubs in regards to a possible £80million switch.

In the past the 26-year-old was seen as being an unobtainable object of desire, with the Rossoneri unwilling to part company with a player who provides their greatest creative influence.

However, with Kaka's international team-mate Ronaldinho having now been unveiled at San Siro, and with their financial difficulties well-publicised, the Italian giants appear willing to enter into negotiations with any potential suitors.

Should the World Player of the Year secure a move to Stamford Bridge he would be reunited with Luiz Felipe Scolari, the man who handed him his international debut as a 20-year-old back in 2002 and included him a Brazil squad which went on to lift the World Cup later that year.

Any deal seems certain to break the world record transfer fee, which currently stands at £46million, but Kotscho is confident that an agreement can be reached which will allow Kaka to take on a new challenge in the Premier League next season.

"Real Madrid offered 90 million euros (£71million) last summer and Milan did not even think about the bid," Kaka's personal assistant told The Guardian.

"This time is different. This is the first time we feel that a deal will definitely happen.

"Because of the situation Milan are in at the moment, the deal is good for all parties involved.

"The move would represent a significant increase in Kaka's salary, on top of the 10 per cent transfer fee that goes straight to the player anyway - some 15 million euros (£12million).

"Chelsea are the club to be at right now. They are building a team to win everything."

When is all this paper talk going to end, Kaka going to Chelsea? are we trying to become Spurs and buy half a team of midfielders, at the moment we have Malouda, Lampard , John Obi, Deco, Makalele, Ballack, ShaunWP, Essien, J Cole, and are Chelsea going to pay 80M Quid for a player who has scored 19 goals tops in a season, what we need is a striker who can bang thirty in, offer the Yid's 30M for Berbatov or the scousers 60M for Torres, at least they have proved they can do it in the Premiership.

When is all this paper talk going to end, Kaka going to Chelsea? are we trying to become Spurs and buy half a team of midfielders, at the moment we have Malouda, Lampard , John Obi, Deco, Makalele, Ballack, ShaunWP, Essien, J Cole, and are Chelsea going to pay 80M Quid for a player who has scored 19 goals tops in a season, what we need is a striker who can bang thirty in, offer the Yid's 30M for Berbatov or the scousers 60M for Torres, at least they have proved they can do it in the Premiership.

Yeah I hear what your saying Gaz, a minute after I posted that about Kaka, Milan reaffirmed on their website he isn't going anywhere for any amount of money, Kaka staying at Milan was another reason why his fellow countryman decided to join him (Ronaldinho).

Big Phil has said he wants a clear out so hopefully a good few of those midfielders will be leaving....Malouda, Maka, SWP.

I guarantee we won't get Torres but Berbatov would be great, especially to wind up my Yids mates. I do like the sounds coming out of Real about the likelihood of us getting Robinho but yet again as soon as we are mentioned another 15m gets added to the value of the player.

I wouldn't have a problem paying big for him though as he is only 24, youth is on his side and we could also sell on if things don't work out.

Yeah I hear what your saying Gaz, a minute after I posted that about Kaka, Milan reaffirmed on their website he isn't going anywhere for any amount of money, Kaka staying at Milan was another reason why his fellow countryman decided to join him (Ronaldinho).

Big Phil has said he wants a clear out so hopefully a good few of those midfielders will be leaving....Malouda, Maka, SWP.

I guarantee we won't get Torres but Berbatov would be great, especially to wind up my Yids mates. I do like the sounds coming out of Real about the likelihood of us getting Robinho but yet again as soon as we are mentioned another 15m gets added to the value of the player.

I wouldn't have a problem paying big for him though as he is only 24, youth is on his side and we could also sell on if things don't work out.

Seapok, if you get him he'll be a great signing. It will be interesting though to see if Milan really want to sell him. To me, it looks like Milan are trying to build a Brazilian based team, and with Pato (don't forget him, he's class and only very young), Kaka and Ronldhinio they will truly be an awesome attacking force. So it woudn't make much sense to ditch Kaka at this point, although if the figures being banded about are true, then it's more than possible.