Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Lampard at head of the class

Frank Lampard is used to being top of the class — but now he is head boy as well.

His goal in last Saturday’s 5-0 romp at Middlesbrough was his second of the season from a header.

And Lamps admits using his bonce to score is something his dad, former West Ham star Frank Snr, thought he would never see.

As he prepared for tomorrow’s clash with Liverpool, Lampard said: “It’s a couple so far this season with my head which is quite unusual for me.

“My dad is as pleased with that as I am. It’s always been a bit of a sticking point. But he’s always given me help.”

England midfielder Lampard, 30, also gave credit to his Chelsea team-mates. He said: “I feel I’m playing well at the moment but that’s considerably easier in a team playing with such confidence.

“The togetherness, the spirit, the way we knock the ball around and move it is very, very enjoyable. It’s the football I’ve always wanted to play.”

He compares Phil Scolari’s team favourably with the title-winning sides of Jose Mourinho.

Lamps added: “In the first two Mourinho years, we were absolutely fantastic. Now, there’s a similar type of feeling to that in this squad.

“But when Liverpool come here if we get our noses in front we’ll have to be very disciplined.”

The last meeting with Liverpool was the epic Champions League semi-final second leg in April. A dramatic 3-2 win was made more intense for Lampard because of the recent death of his mum Pat.

He has mixed emotions as he remembers his penalty goal which set the Blues on their way to the final in Moscow.

He said: “I’d like to move on but I’ve always respected what Liverpool did for me that night. Steven Gerrard gave me a bunch of flowers before the game which we left on the side of the pitch.

“You forget that sometimes, what with football rivalries, but it’s all about people at the end of the day.”

Not a good day at the office, I thought we deserved a point though!, gutted at losing the record, especially to the bin dippers! :o

Chelsea 0-1 Liverpool

Liverpool demonstrated their growing title credentials by ending Chelsea's 86-game unbeaten run in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge and moving three points clear at the top of the table.

Xabi Alonso's deflected 10th-minute goal gave Liverpool victory and shattered a Chelsea sequence stretching back to February 2004 on home turf.

It was a deserved triumph for Rafael Benitez's side achieved without Fernando Torres and the first setback for the reign of Luiz Felipe Scolari at Chelsea.

Chelsea enjoyed long periods of possession, but Liverpool never flinched and could have doubled their victory margin had Alonso's second-half free-kick not hit an upright.

Ashley Cole missed Chelsea's best chance after the break, allowing Liverpool to record a victory which is of huge significance in terms of their confidence and self-belief.

If this game was a measure of Liverpool's ability to finally mount a serious title challenge, then they will have left west London in the knowledge that they now appear to have the ability to finally challenge Chelsea and Manchester United in domestic battle.

Chelsea simply ran out of ideas in the face of a red wall of defensive resistance, with Liverpool's defence led magnificently by Jamie Carragher impenetrable.

Scolari's side opened with a surge of confidence, but took a real knock when Alonso gave Liverpool the lead.

He latched on to a half-clearance, and while his effort carried little power, a deflection off Jose Bosingwa was enough to wrong-foot Petr Cech.

The rest of the opening period was a tale of Chelsea dominating possession but Liverpool were superbly organised and carried an ever-present threat of a second goal on the break.

Steven Gerrard almost provided it after 23 minutes with a dipping effort from 25 yards that required the fingertips of Cech to turn it to safety.

Javier Mascherano was offering Liverpool's defence fierce protection, and an atmosphere of frustration was growing around Stamford Bridge.

But Deco almost provided the equaliser nine minutes before the interval when Gerrard lost possession, and the Portugal midfielder advanced before sending a left-foot shot inches wide.

Chelsea may have enjoyed territorial superiority in the first 45 minutes, but the resilience Liverpool have demonstrated throughout this season ensured keeper Pepe Reina had not had any serious work to do.

Liverpool's increasing confidence was demonstrated at the start of the second half, with Gerrard pushed into a more advanced role in support of Robbie Keane.

There was a moment of anxiety for Reina after 54 minutes when he brought down Florent Malouda as he raced into the area, but the linesman's flag had already been raised.

It was Malouda's final contribution as Scolari made a double change, sending on substitutes Franco di Santo and Juliano Belletti, with Salomon Kalou also taken off.

Liverpool sent on Ryan Babel for Keane and they came within inches of doubling their advantage after 61 minutes.

Alonso's low free-kick left Cech motionless, but for Liverpool it agonisingly struck the base of the post and stayed out.

Cole, having already been booked, ran the risk of a red card with a needless foul on Babel, but the foolish intervention of Mascherano in an attempt to ensure he was sent off ended with a yellow card for the Argentine.

Liverpool had applied pressure points to Chelsea all over the pitch, and as the clock ticked down on their formidable home record, some of the calm and order that had characterised their play had disappeared.

But they fashioned their best chance of the game after 72 minutes, only for Cole to slice hopelessly wide when Di Santo knocked Frank Lampard's cross into his path.

Carragher defended heroically to block Deco, but Babel then showed his threat with a rising drive that was just inches away.

Chelsea pressed in the closing stages, but never in any convincing fashion on another day when Liverpool confirmed their growing stature.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa (Sinclair 84), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Mikel, Kalou (Di Santo 58), Deco, Lampard, Malouda (Belletti 58), Anelka. Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Ferreira, Alex.

Booked: Malouda, Ashley Cole, Deco.

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Alonso, Mascherano, Kuyt (Leiva Lucas 88), Gerrard, Riera (Hyypia 90), Keane (Babel 60). Subs Not Used: Cavalieri, Dossena, Benayoun, Pennant.

Booked: Arbeloa, Gerrard, Mascherano.

Goals: Alonso 10.

Att: 41,705

Ref: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire).

You can see why Chelsea were after Robinho (even more so after his hat trick yesterday).

Anelka was anonymous after the first 30 minutes and Malouda just isnt up to it.

Chelsea need Drogba back like yesterday !

Playing another of your title challengers midweek,I see......Hull City away :o not a game to be taken lightly in view of their recent form.

Being neutral....I thought Liverpool were worthy winners.

I can't recall a decent shot on target from Chelsea

Yeah thats possibly true about Liverpool, we desperatly need an out and out striker, I can't agree with Kenyon, I don't normally anyway but he is saying we

don't need to spend in January....errrm clearly we do!

Cech calls for Blues response

Petr Cech has called on his Chelsea team-mates to bounce back from their weekend defeat to Liverpool.

The Blues had entered Sunday's clash as Premier League leaders, with an entertaining blend of free-flowing attacking flair and defensive grit winning them a host of new admirers.

However, Xabi Alonso's solitary strike for the Reds pushed Rafa Benitez's side to the summit and ended Chelsea's 86-game unbeaten league run at Stamford Bridge.

There is little time for reflection on that result, though, as the fixtures come thick and fast at this stage of the season.

Next up for Luiz Felipe Scolari's men is a trip to high-flying Hull on Wednesday, a game which Cech feels has taken on added importance.

"We have to bounce back. Defeats happen in football and you have to forget about it and start again," the Czech Republic international goalkeeper told the Evening Standard.

"It has been a great run and I don't think anyone will get close to going 86 games unbeaten at home again. It is a fantastic record.

"It was a strange feeling for me at the end because I have never lost a Premier League game at home in my Chelsea career.

"But now it has ended we have to think of Hull on Wednesday. We have the same amount of points as them and we need to bounce back with a victory.

"We want to start another run now. We know what we have to do and have the strength to do it."

Liverpool are being widely touted as potential title challengers on the back of their impressive success, but Cech is experienced enough to know that there is a long way to go before any silverware is handed out.

"It is good for their confidence, but there are a lot of games to go," he added.

"We have an away game against Liverpool later in the season and that will give us the chance to get back these points.

"They are top and genuine contenders. They didn't play very well at the start of the season, but have been getting results.

"They did well against us. They were well organised. The plan was simple, to defend well and not allow us any space.

"We didn't have the space to create chances in their 18-yard box. It was decisive."

Cole boost for Blues

Ray Wilkins admits Chelsea are happy to welcome back Joe Cole for Wednesday's trip to surprise packages Hull City.

Cole has missed the Blues' last three games due to an ankle injury, but is in the squad for the Premier League fixture at the KC Stadium.

Chelsea head into the game on the back of losing their 86-game unbeaten home record in the league and Wilkins is buoyed by Cole's availability.

"You always miss players with talent like Joe's," said the assistant coach on Sky Sports News. "He is an extremely talented player.

"He plays on the left side, he plays right side and he plays through the middle, so he gives us plenty of options.

"Any side that misses a player of the calibre of Joe will have a slight struggle. We have worked extremely hard to try and block that gap, but Joe gives us something very, very special and it's nice to have him back."

Wilkins also acknowledged there was a despondent air in the Chelsea dressing room after Sunday's 1-0 home defeat by Liverpool and is eager to witness a response at Hull.

He added: "The atmosphere was morgue-like. They were very, very down, because that's the standards they set themselves and they feel they didn't quite reach that, so they are determined to make sure they bounce back as quick as they possibly can.

"No one likes being defeated and when you have a group of winners that we have who find it very difficult to take that defeat, they will be trying doubly hard to make sure the next result we have is a positive result.

"We have to have a positive performance first and I'm sure the results will come after that. The lads are in an extremely positive frame of mind, they are a very strong-willed group and I think that will see us through okay."

Hull v Chelsea

Hull left-back Andy Dawson could yet feature against Chelsea despite going off with a dead leg just 10 minutes into Saturday's 3-0 win at West Brom.

The 30-year-old was initially ruled out but has made a promising recovery.

Joe Cole is back in the Chelsea squad after spending three weeks on the sidelines with a foot injury.

Didier Drogba (knee) is back in training, but is not ready to face Hull and Michael Ballack (foot) and Michael Essien (knee) are also out.

Hull City (from): Myhill, McShane, Zayatte, Dawson, Ricketts, Marney, Ashbee, Boateng, Geovanni, King, Cousin, Hughes, Dawson, Mendy, Folan, Gardner, Windass, Giannakopoulos, Barmby, Duke.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Hilario, Cudicini, Ivanovic, Ferreira, Malouda, Obi, Deco, Kalou, Bosingwa, Terry, Lampard, Anelka, Belletti, Alex, Carvalho, Mancienne, Bridge, Di Santo, J Cole.

Hull manager Phil Brown:

"It is a massive game for us because, one, it is the next one and, two, we have won four on the bounce.

"Confidence levels are sky high but what that manifests itself in is us looking forward to the game rather than being frightened.

"At the start of the season people would have been fearing this fixture but now all of a sudden we're not, we're looking forward to it."

Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkins:

"It is great to see the work they have done there at Hull, their work ethic is fantastic so we know we are in for one hel_l of a game there.

"They have done exceptionally well, wins at Arsenal, wins at Tottenham. It is up to us to go and put ourselves upon Hull and make it a very interesting night for them.

"I don't think a defeat tomorrow will burst their bubble because they have demonstrated they can play. One defeat is not going to upset them too much - but it is our aim to inflict that defeat on them."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Amazing as it sounds, Hull and Chelsea is a top three showdown to see which club can stay on the heels of or even draw level on points with leaders Liverpool.

Phil Brown's play-off winners are chasing a fifth successive Premier League win, and top the "Last Six Current Form" table with 16 points out of 18. They are looking to complete a nap hand of top-flight victories over London clubs.

Chelsea are still smarting from Sunday's home defeat to Liverpool, which brought an end to their unbeaten record under Luis Felipe Scolari, their 29-match undefeated Premier League sequence and 86-strong sting of Stamford Bridge league matches without defeat.

Chelsea have gone 85 Premier League matches since suffering consecutive defeats, a run that spans back to the last two games of the 2005-06 season.

If Hull can hold onto a top four placing after this round of games, they will become only the sixth newly promoted club to have held such an elevated position after the first 10 games.

Hull City won 3-0 the last time they entertained Chelsea in a league match, on 25 October 1988 in the second tier. It was only their fourth victory over the Blues in 26 league clashes.

CLUB FORM

HULL CITY

2008-09 Premier League performance - best and worst categories in the league

(all statistics are ahead of the midweek fixtures)

1. Won the last four Premier League matches against Arsenal (a), Tottenham (a), West Ham (h), and West Brom (a).

2. That quartet of victories was preceded by two more amongst their first five matches ever in top-flight football; home to Fulham and away to Newcastle.

3. Lost only one Premier League match under Phil Brown; 0-5, home to Wigan on 30 August.

4. Kept clean sheets in the last three outings, and not conceded in 309 minutes (five hours nine minutes) of Premier League football since Paul McShane put through his own goal against Arsenal at the Emirates on 27 September.

5. An opposition player has not penetrated their goal-line since Leon Osman scored Everton's 78th minute equaliser in the 2-2 draw at the KC Stadium on 21 September.

6. Completed 37 Football League and Premier League matches without a goalless draw; the most recent being home to Bristol City on 24 November 2007.

7. Picked up six more points away from home than at the KC Stadium (seven at home, 13 away); the widest such disparity in the Premier League.

8. This match is followed by a visit to Old Trafford to face Manchester United on Saturday.

CHELSEA

2008-09 Premier League performance - best and worst categories in the league

(all statistics are ahead of the midweek fixtures)

1. Not lost consecutive Premier League games since losing away to Blackburn and Newcastle on 2 and 7 May 2006 respectively.

2. Facing a promoted club for the second time this season; already beaten Stoke 0-2 at the Britannia Stadium on 27 September.

3. Need to score four more goals to become the fourth club to total 1,000 in the Premier League; Manchester United have scored 1,233, Arsenal 1,066 and Liverpool 1,006.

4. Boasting the tightest defence in the highest league. More details

5. Conceded just one goal in four Premier League outings.

6. On the longest current run in the Premier League of 17 matches, since conceding more than a single goal in a game.

7 The only unbeaten club away from home in the Premier League in 2008; won 11, drawn two and conceded just seven goals in 13 matches on the road in this calendar year.

8. Defending the Premier League's only 100% away record (won four of four), and aiming for an eighth away league win, to take their unbeaten Premier League run away from home to an unmatched 15 games, since losing 1-0 away to Arsenal on 16 December 2007.

9. Conceded just one goal in winning the last seven away .

KEY PLAYER NOTES

HULL CITY

Michael TURNER and Boaz MYHILL are the only remaining players to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Hull's Premier League matches to date.

Nick BARMBY needs a hat-trick to reach 100 club career goals.

Dean WINDASS is a hat-trick shy of 200 goals in English and Scottish league football.

If selected:-

Wayne BROWN will be making his 50th appearance in a Hull shirt.

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD is a double shy of 100 career league goals (West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea), and needs a hat-trick to reach 100 career Premier League goals.

If selected:-

Michael BALLACK will be making his 50th Premier League appearance for Chelsea. JOE COLE will be making his 150th Premier League appearance for the Blues.

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea have won their last four meetings with Hull. They won 2-1 in the old Second Division at Stamford Bridge in 1989, and three subsequent Cup ties away from home.

The Londoners won 0-2 on 4 January 1992, 1-6 on 11 December 1999, both in the third round of the FA Cup at Boothferry Park, and 0-4 in the third round of the Carling Cup at the KC Stadium on 26 September 2007.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Hull 4 wins, Chelsea 17, Draws 5

Prem: Hull 0 wins, Chelsea 0, Draws 0

at Hull only

League (inc PL): Hull 4 wins, Chelsea 6, Draws 3

Prem: Hull 0 wins, Chelsea 0, Draws 0

REFEREE

Andre Marriner (West Midlands)

Hull 0-3 Chelsea

Chelsea bounced back from their home defeat to Liverpool and ended Hull's sequence of four straight wins with a deserved victory at the KC Stadium.

Frank Lampard's brilliant early lob put Chelsea ahead but Daniel Cousin almost equalised with a low strike from 20 yards that hit the post.

Suicidal hesitation in the Hull defence allowed Nicolas Anelka to steel in and smash home Chelsea's decisive second.

Florent Malouda then converted Ricardo Carvalho's cross from six yards.

Hull had beaten the four previous London clubs they had met this season - Fulham, Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham - but they were brought back down to earth by Chelsea.

Luiz Felipe Scolari's team put in a thoroughly professional performance, regularly cutting open Hull and always appearing to be in control.

Chelsea could not find the net against Liverpool last Sunday as their long unbeaten home record fell by the wayside but it took them just three minutes to breach the Hull defence.

If there was a hint of fortune when Paul McShane's interception fell invitingly to Lampard, there was nothing but pure class about the England midfielder's finish.

Lampard deceived the Hull defence as his delicious chip floated from one corner of the penalty area and into the top of the net with goalkeeper Boaz Myhill reduced to the role of unwilling spectator.

It was the first time the Tigers had conceded a Premier League goal in five hours and 12 minutes but despite their sensational recent form the home team had looked nervous before conceding and were even more so afterwards.

Phil Brown's team surrendered possession far too easily, while two awful kicks up field from Myhill did little to help them settle.

And by the break Chelsea really ought to have extended their advantage.

A goalmouth scramble was eventually cleared by a Hull defender, while Malouda twice shot wide and missed a header from a Lampard cross that was slightly behind him. Myhill saved a Joe Cole snap-shot and, later, brilliantly tipped over a blistering strike from Anelka.

Yet despite Chelsea's superiority, Hull did have their moments and came perilously close to an equaliser when Cousin dribbled across the face of the opposition box before drilling the brilliant low strike that rebounded off the foot of the post.

Geovanni, displaying self-belief of staggering proportions, forced a save from Petr Cech with a free-kick that must have been 40 yards from goal while Marlon King headed straight at the Chelsea keeper from eight yards.

However, any hopes the home team harboured of forcing their way back into the contest ended minutes into the restart after a moment of defensive madness.

Kamil Zayatte, Michael Turner and keeper Myhill all stood and waited for someone else to deal with a long ball forward, that was allowed to bounce and then intercepted by the alert

The off-colour Malouda smashed another good opening over the Hull goal and dragged another shot wide.

Chelsea continued to possess the greater threat without ever really giving the impression of over extending themselves.

Anelka should have doubled his tally but opted for placement instead of power and was denied by Myhill but Malouda finally found the net, slotting home from six yards after a superb low cross with the outside of his boot by Carvalho.

Hull, who play Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday, continued to press forward whenever possible and almost crafted an equaliser but substitute Richard Garcia headed wide of Cech's goal.

Hull City boss Phil Brown:

"To go behind after three minutes gave us an uphill task.

"We said at half-time that we had an extra day's rest after the weekend but we conceded a poor goal straight away.

"But we have 20 points from 10 games and we have to make sure that we continue to build on that."

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari:

"I think Frank Lampard's goal was one of the best in the Premier League.

"It was a fantastic goal - only Frank Lampard can make this goal. It was one of the best goals I have seen in my life.

"He is a very intelligent player and he is a man that is never tired.

"There are many very good players in England, and one of the best is Frank."

Hull: Myhill, McShane, Turner, Zayatte, Dawson, Marney (Garcia 71), Ashbee, Boateng (Halmosi 62), Geovanni, King (Windass 84), Cousin.

Subs Not Used: Duke, Hughes, Mendy, Ricketts.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa (Ivanovic 86), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Deco (Kalou 78), Mikel, Lampard, Joe Cole (Belletti 54), Anelka, Malouda.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Di Santo, Bridge, Alex.

Booked: Joe Cole, Deco.

Goals: Lampard 3, Anelka 50, Malouda 75.

Att: 24,906

Ref: Andre Marriner (W Midlands).

Edited by Seapok

Carvalho back on the sidelines

Ricardo Carvalho has made a hasty return to the Chelsea treatment room following Wednesday's win at Hull.

The Portuguese defender sustained a thigh injury during the Blues' 3-0 success at KC Stadium, and is now facing another frustrating spell on the sidelines.

The 30-year-old had only returned to action last week following a month out with a knee problem.

However, he limped from the field with two minutes remaining of the midweek clash with the Tigers, looking far from comfortable.

Luiz Felipe Scolari was initially hopeful that no long-term damage had been done, but Carvalho must now face up to the prospect of three weeks on the casualty list.

He could now miss up to four Premier League games, a UEFA Champions League clash with Roma, a Carling Cup date with Burnley and Portugal's friendly against Brazil on 19th November.

Ricardo Carvalho has made a hasty return to the Chelsea treatment room following Wednesday's win at Hull.

The Portuguese defender sustained a thigh injury during the Blues' 3-0 success at KC Stadium, and is now facing another frustrating spell on the sidelines.

The 30-year-old had only returned to action last week following a month out with a knee problem.

However, he limped from the field with two minutes remaining of the midweek clash with the Tigers, looking far from comfortable.

Luiz Felipe Scolari was initially hopeful that no long-term damage had been done, but Carvalho must now face up to the prospect of three weeks on the casualty list.

He could now miss up to four Premier League games, a UEFA Champions League clash with Roma, a Carling Cup date with Burnley and Portugal's friendly against Brazil on 19th November.

The way I see, you guys didn't lose with him out of your line-up and when he comes back in, you do. Maybe better off.

The way I see, you guys didn't lose with him out of your line-up and when he comes back in, you do. Maybe better off.

Nah I can't agree with that mate, he and JT are the most formidable defensive pairing in the league on their day, he was obviously rushed back too soon and has paid the price for that with another trip to the massage room! :o

Nah I can't agree with that mate, he and JT are the most formidable defensive pairing in the league on their day, he was obviously rushed back too soon and has paid the price for that with another trip to the massage room! :o

I think Ferdinand and Vidic results (and statics) would say different, but we are both biased.

Nah I can't agree with that mate, he and JT are the most formidable defensive pairing in the league on their day, he was obviously rushed back too soon and has paid the price for that with another trip to the massage room! :D

I think Ferdinand and Vidic results (and statics) would say different, but we are both biased.

We are both biased I agree but on my Chelsea thread I am right! :o (shouldn't you be getting ready for tonight's party?)

Terry - Lamps is the best

John Terry believes his Chelsea team-mate Frank Lampard is the best midfielder in the country.

The England international continues to be a driving force for the Blues in the middle of the park, and grabbed a sublime chip during a comfortable 3-0 win over Hull on Wednesday.

He has been an integral part of the Chelsea side for seven years, blossoming into one of Europe's finest talents.

Terry has played alongside Lampard throughout his Stamford Bridge career and feels the 30-year-old is now in a class of his own when compared to his Premier League rivals.

"Frank does it season after season," declared Terry.

"He is different class. In training he is unbelievable and he works so hard on his shooting and his running off the ball.

"We will do a warm-down and he will be doing laps around the field on his own. He is an inspiration to everyone in the team to really push on and give it everything in our short careers."

The midweek win at KC Stadium coincided with Terry celebrating 10 years as a member of the Blues' first-team fold.

The Chelsea skipper was delighted to celebrate that achievement with an emphatic success and has urged his team-mates to carry that form into the rest of the campaign.

"It was a great way to celebrate the anniversary," said Terry.

"It's been 10 years since my debut but first and foremost I am delighted to bounce back from the disappointment of last weekend (losing 1-0 to Liverpool).

"I was disappointed after the game but we went into training on the Monday and it was up to me, Frank Lampard, the backbone of the side, to get the lads going again.

"What was good to see is the lads didn't come in moping about, everyone came in upbeat and eager to play against Hull.

"We showed against Hull how resilient we can be and this is why we are a top team. All the best sides have the ability to bounce back after drawing or losing a game.

"We can grind out results and we need to maintain that because Liverpool are playing especially well above us and Manchester United are looking good also."

Meanwhile, Lampard expects Luiz Felipe Scolari's side to bounce back from losing their 86-game unbeaten record at Stamford Bridge by mounting a serious title charge.

"You don't win medals for your home records, you win medals for winning leagues," he said in the Daily Star.

"We're mature enough and certainly experienced enough from our last four of five years contending for the title to know that if you lose a game after nine games of the season, it's certainly far from over.

"You sit back and reflect on it and realise a lot can be done to rectify it.

"Maybe some people made an issue out of it but we're only three points behind (leaders Liverpool) and there are many games to go."

Nah I can't agree with that mate, he and JT are the most formidable defensive pairing in the league on their day, he was obviously rushed back too soon and has paid the price for that with another trip to the massage room! :D

We are both biased I agree but on my Chelsea thread I am right! :o (shouldn't you be getting ready for tonight's party?)

A very able deputy in Alex waiting in the wings.

Being neutral....I thought Liverpool were worthy winners.

I can't recall a decent shot on target from Chelsea

Yeah thats possibly true about Liverpool, we desperatly need an out and out striker, I can't agree with Kenyon, I don't normally anyway but he is saying we

don't need to spend in January....errrm clearly we do!

Eto would do very nicely and Amr Zaki would definitly improve under Scolari.

Now thats what I'm talking about, just want the Yids to do us a favour now! :o

Chelsea 5-0 Sunderland

Nicolas Anelka hit a hat-trick as Chelsea demolished Sunderland and moved above Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table.

Alex began the rout, tapping in when Marton Fulop allowed Joe Cole's shot to squirm free, and it was quickly 2-0 when Anelka met Frank Lampard's cross.

Florent Malouda unselfishly set up Anelka to add a third goal and Lampard headed in Cole's cross to make it four.

Anelka fired home from Malouda's cross to complete the scoring inside an hour.

Stamford Bridge may no longer be seen as a fortress after Liverpool's victory there last weekend but, for Chelsea, this was the perfect riposte to seeing their 86-match unbeaten run ended in their last outing on home soil.

Blues boss Luiz Felipe Scolari voiced his concern before the game that his side have been struggling to break down sides who come to west London merely to defend.

But he had no such worries here as his side quickly took Sunderland apart in an opening 45 minutes that saw them score three goals that were as stylish as they were simple.

From the start, with the visitors struggling to get out of their own half, it was clear that this game would be about whether Chelsea could find a way through their defence and, if so, how often.

Initially, Sunderland defended resolutely and it appeared luck was also on their side when Deco's looping shot landed on top of the crossbar.

But Scolari's men made the breakthrough after 27 minutes when Cole's shot eluded Fulop and Alex arrived to scoop the ball over the line and score Chelsea's 1,000th Premier League goal.

Three minutes later, and in almost identical fashion, it was 2-0. This time Deco set Frank Lampard free on the right and although Alex was first to his cross, it was Anelka who got the last touch.

With his side chasing shadows, it was becoming an afternoon to forget for Black Cats boss Roy Keane but things soon got worse.

As torrential rain continued to fall, Chelsea kept coming forward and scored a third goal just before the break to underline their superiority.

Cole linked up with Lampard, who in turn fed the ball to Malouda, and the French striker chose to set up his compatriot Anelka who had the simple task of rolling his shot home.

Keane, who felt Cole fouled Pascal Chimbonda in the build-up, was livid and his reward was to be banished from the dug-out for the second-half by referee Martin Atkinson.

His view may have been better from the stands but his mood is unlikely to have improved after seeing his side continue to be outplayed after the break.

Within six minutes of the restart, the majestic Cole got to the right-hand bye-line and stood the ball up for Lampard who, despite falling backwards got enough power on his header to put it in the far corner for his 100th league goal.

And seconds later it was 5-0 - Anelka completing his hat-trick after sliding to meet Malouda's cross with a shot that Fulop should have kept out but couldn't.

After that, Scolari's side took their foot off the pedal, perhaps with one eye on their Champions League trip to Roma on Tuesday.

Sunderland showed no signs of a recovery but they did threaten to salvage some pride when Djibril Cisse ran clear towards the end.

But, on a day of landmarks for the home side, it was fitting that Cech denied him and went on to keep his 100th clean sheet for Chelsea.

This is the kind of come back we needed, we had a bad day at the office and were missing Joey Cole who proved to me yesterday how important he is to the team and how much better we play with him there.

Come on Chels keep the faith !

Totally agree,mate.I thought Obe Mikel had a terrific game as well.When Lampard and Deco bombed forward,he was always there to tidy up when the attack broke down.Malouda has had his detractors,but you couldn't fault the bloke's workrate.He just needs a bit more composure in the penalty area.

Wilkins hails 'fantastic' Blues

Assistant first-team coach Ray Wilkins was delighted with Chelsea's display in the 5-0 victory over Sunderland.

The Blues had been beaten by Liverpool in their last home game to end their long unbeaten record at Stamford Bridge.

However, Chelsea won at Hull in midweek and they continued their fine form against Sunderland as Nicolas Anelka grabbed a hat-trick and Alex and Frank Lampard also found the target.

"I thought it was a sticky 15 minutes but after that I thought we played some fantastic football," Wilkins told Sky Sports.

"The lads are delighted with how things are going and if they play like that it is going to be a pleasant season for us.

"The lads were very down after Liverpool but we played exceptionally well against Hull and now we've carried that forward, which gives us a nice platform to go to Rome (in the UEFA Champions League)."

Didier Drogba returned from injury as a substitute and Wilkins is happy to have him back pushing for a place.

"We managed to get Didier some playing time as well so it was a first-class afternoon," he said.

"Didier is just a touch rusty and Nicolas has been playing very well but it is great to have players fighting for places.

"It is also great that Joe Cole is back. He has given us 70 minutes of quality football."

While Drogba will be in contention to face Roma, Ashley Cole could be doubtful after coming off in the first half against Sunderland with an injury.

Wilkins explained: "He has got a slight pull in his calf so we will monitor that and we will see how it goes.

"Ashley has been in fantastic form but we are so fortunate to have someone like Wayne (Bridge) who can come on and put in another sterling performance."

Essien expects long lay-off

Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien believes it could be as late as March before he returns to action.

The Ghanaian suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury in September after landing awkwardly in a World Cup qualifier against Libya.

Luiz Felipe Scolari declared last week that Essien's recovery was going well and he could be back in action early in the New Year.

Essien is currently undergoing his rehabilitation in France and hopes to make a swift return, but he expects to remain sidelined for most of the season.

"It's the first time in my career that I have been so seriously injured," Essien told France Football.

"It's difficult for the moment to fix a date for my return. But I know that my recovery period will last a total of four to six months.

"At the moment I'm not thinking about it much. I'm following the treatment calmly. Everything's going well.

"It's actually the third time I've come to the Centre Technique National Fernand-Sastre (CTNFS) in Clairefontaine.

"I'm very well looked after and the club doctor and physiotherapist have visited me.

"This weekend I will return to London but it's possible that I'll then come back to Clairefontaine."

Anelka - I can play with Drogba

Nicolas Anelka claims a partnership alongside Didier Drogba could prove fruitful, despite the success he has enjoyed this season as Chelsea's lone front man.

In Drogba's absence, Luiz Felipe Scolari has invested his trust in Anelka and been rewarded with nine goals from the mercurial Frenchman.

A hat-trick at the weekend against Sunderland saw Anelka move to the top of Chelsea's scoring charts and he has no intention to return to the bench once Drogba - who came on as a second-half substitute - closes on full match fitness.

However, he would be willing to share the striking mantle with his powerful Ivorian team-mate.

"Didier and I can play together but we have not done that since I have been here," said Anelka.

"We have never started together up front. If we have started together then I was either on the right or left.

"So it's a shame, because I wanted to play with him when I first signed with Chelsea, but I hope it will happen.

"I think it could work with the two of us. But it's the choice of the manager."

Having spent much of last season lamenting the fact he was being played out of position on the flanks, by then manager Avram Grant, Anelka credits his white hot form to being employed down the middle.

And having got the goalscoring bug back, he has set his heart on topping the charts.

"The most I have ever scored in a season is 25, for Man City. I will try to do better than that.

"But what matters is for Chelsea to win more titles."

Cech delight at landmark

Chelsea No.1 Petr Cech is delighted to have kept his 100th clean sheet for the club.

Cech's blank against Sunderland in the 5-0 win at the weekend meant the Czech star reached the landmark after just 180 appearances for the club.

Now Cech has his sights set on the club record - 205 - which is held by Peter Bonetti.

"I am glad that I have reached the 100," he told his own website.

"If I go on like this, I might break his record in five years.

"Even more I am satisfied with the fact that I have made most of them in the Premier League and in the Champions League, in the two best football competitions in the world.

"It is also a good result for the defensive play of the whole team."

Cech has hailed the way in which Chelsea have bounced back from their home defeat to Liverpool by easing to wins over Hull and Sunderland.

"Both our victories have been the best response to the defeat to Liverpool," he said.

"Defeats are part of football, but the most important thing has been how we responded.

"Everything went well. Just the weather could have been better, it was rather cold, windy and dark!"

Cech was speaking as Chelsea flew to Italy ahead of their UEFA Champions League clash with Roma.

"We flew on Sunday, in order to have enough time for rehabilitation and to be able to prepare for the game as best as we can," he said.

"We want to win as three points would practically seal our place past the group stages.

"To be through as soon as possible is our objective, so then we are able to concentrate fully on the Premier League and the Carling Cup."

This guy is a great goal keeper and has got us out of some sticky situations, he is up there with Bonetti in my view.

He is world class mate, saying that though he has some dodgy games of late, I'm sure he will only get better as he is still a relatively young keeper :o

He never has been the same since that twit Hunt commited GBH against him, he should have been taken to court for that !

<H1 class=heading>Frank Arnesen job at Chelsea is at risk</H1>Frank Arnesen, the Chelsea director of scouting and youth development, is coming under increasing pressure to justify his £1.8 million-a-year salary after the club removed two thirds of the international scouts working under him in a shake-up of their talent-spotting operation.

The Times revealed on Friday that Chelsea were beginning a significant cost-cutting exercise, with Luiz Felipe Scolari being told that he must sell players before he can buy during the January transfer window, and they wasted no time by sacking 15 scouts that day.

Arnesen is likely to hold on until the end of the season because paying him off would represent more waste at a time of retrenchment, but his future will be discussed in further detail at the end of the season. The Dane agreed a one-year rolling contract when he arrived from Tottenham Hotspur and it may not be renewed.

Arnesen’s move to Chelsea caused much controversy 3½ years ago, with Tottenham reporting their London rivals to the Premier League for an alleged illegal approach before settling for £5 million in compensation. In his remit as their scouting supremo, the 52-year-old pledged to provide a youth-team player for Chelsea’s first team within three years and deliver a further player every subsequent year, but no one has made the breakthrough. John Terry, ten years ago, was the last home-grown player to become a regular.

The young players who have made league appearances in the past few years, such as Scott Sinclair, were signed from other clubs, yet Arnesen is confident of keeping his job because of the strength of his relationship with Roman Abramovich and Piet de Visser, the owner’s personal scout, but the sacking of Avram Grant at the end of last season shows that friendship is not enough to guarantee survival at Stamford Bridge.

Given such failures, Chelsea had always been planning to restructure their scouting network at the end of the season, along with looking at Arnesen’s role, but the desire to cut costs in the worsening economic climate has led them to do away with the job sooner than expected.

“We are restructuring our scouting network,” a club spokesman said. “We are refocusing our attention on key territories and key targets rather than the existing wider approach.”

I never understood why we got this guy in the first place, he is such a muppet and we have basically thrown away 1.8mil a year ! I will follow with a rant I have been writing on all the sites I blog on after this..hope you enjoy it :o

I say close the transfers at CFC for 2 years at the least, we have a good enough squad and I am sure Sinclair and Di Santo are going to shine for us. We have enough backup in every position and we really really do not need to buy anyone for at least 2 years !

I am sorry to say guys but the free spending times are over and rightly so Mr Abramovich, Mr Abramovich is doing exactly the right thing and I am in total agreement with him. These scouts have produced nothing and A8rse hole franky boy can f8uck right off, I wonder how much we are paying him ?

Everyone in the club should take a 5% pay cut and be happy with that, it is time we save now and ride this economic sh8it storm out and I promise you we will come out shining the otherside.

We need to build a new stadium with an extra 10 000 seats and more corporate boxes, 10 000 extra seats at the goal ends(5000 and 5000) priced at 35 pounds is an extra 350 000 a game, then add on about 10-15 more boxes which should be placed at each end of the goal as well(which we do not have at the bridge). I heard somewhere those boxes are 2mil a season or something...do Not know if that is true but if it is that gives you an extra 30mil a season.

So 30mil + 350 000 extra a game(basically around 11mil a season extra) is a nice little earner and I have no doubt we could fill a 65 000 stadium.

We would have to pay back the stadium but hey I am looking at the long run here and as so many supporters of Chels are not plastics we will be OK for support year after year..Even if things do get bad. I live in Asia for Christ sake and I even manage to get to a good few games a season.

Now thats what I'm talking about, just want the Yids to do us a favour now! :o

Chelsea 5-0 Sunderland

Anelka scored two legal goals and another illegal one as Chelsea completely demolished Sunderland and moved above Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table.

Alex began the rout, tapping in when the entire Sunderland defence fell asleep and Marton Fulop generously allowed Joe Cole's shot to squirm free, and it was quickly 2-0 when Anelka in a blatantly offside position was wrongly adjudged to have scored a legitimate goal when he was the final blue shirt to get on the end of Frank Lampard's cross after the Sunderland defence went off for a cup of tea and some sandwiches.

Florent Malouda unselfishly set up Anelka to add a third goal after Pascal Chimbonda was taken out by a great WWE move by Joe Cole. Whilst waiting for Sunderland to reappear for the second half Lampard headed in Cole's cross to make it four and Anelka fired home from Malouda's cross to complete the scoring inside an hour. To be honest it could have been 6,7, 8, 9 or 10-0, such was Chelsea's dominance.

Tidied up for you.

Edited by Sunderland