Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Hammers would need to start an hour early to beat liverpool,u r dreamin.

I am sorry, did you say something? :D

I agree with him though unfortunately James, we could have played against only Reina & probably still wouldn't have scored with our Carlton up front... :D

Errrrm Liverpool and Hammers banter? go on clear off! :o

Is JS a Blues fan? If so, that explains it

Well yes. But not the team you are thinking of! :D

I'm sure I know the team you mean....we are connected but I don't like to get into politics or religion! :o

Chelsea, West Ham, Millwall = Rangers

Arsenal, T*ttenham = Celtic

Majorities & Minorities anyway...

Jose backs former club

Inter Milan manager Jose Mourinho believes that the Premier League title will be won by either Chelsea or Manchester United.

Despite Liverpool's best ever start to a Premier League season, Mourinho believes the title will be fought between his former club and the reigning champions.

The Portuguese manager is currently in charge of Inter in Serie A, where he has led them to the top of the table.

Mourinho is enjoying his first season in Milan and has also led his side to top of their UEFA Champions League group with one round of matches remaining.

The Inter boss told ZOO magazine: "Liverpool have had a very good start but, when it comes down to it, I think it will be between Chelsea and Manchester United."

Mourinho was quick to play down the fact that many fans believe that Luiz Felipe Scolari's Chelsea side are easier on the eye than the one he managed.

He said: "All I know is that I achieved lots at Chelsea and I'm sure Scolari will as well. We have different ways of doing things, but success is ultimately what matters."

Scolari looks at big picture

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has reminded his players that Premier League glory is the priority and not a place in the record books.

The Blues can surpass Tottenham's tally of 10 successive away victories, a statistic which was set in 1960, if they defeat Bolton at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday.

But Scolari, who has been in charge for seven of the away successes, is more concerned with the overall picture and is eager for three points to boost a title tilt in West London.

Scolari saw his side throw away the lead in a 2-1 defeat by Arsenal at Stamford Bridge last Sunday, surrendering top spot to Liverpool in the process, and the Brazilian is eager to see an improved display this weekend.

"I don't think about this," said Scolari when asked about setting a new on-the-road record. "I only think about the three points we lost at home to Arsenal. We need to recover these points.

"We try to win another game and keep in touch with the other clubs. That is important, not the record or winning seven or eight games away. The points are more important than the record.

"For me, I feel the players do not think about records. They think about first position at the end of the season, not more than this.

"If we win 20 away and lose 10 at home, OK, it is a record but we need to arrive at the main objective."

While Chelsea have been dominant on their travels, they have been less so at Stamford Bridge and Scolari has held a meeting on the subject with his squad.

"We discussed with the players about how many points we have lost at home. It is not good," he added.

"But if we lost 40 points and we win the league it is not a problem for me. We need to win the league, this is the problem."

Scolari - Hands off Essien

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has issued a 'hands off' warning over Michael Essien, despite a whole host of other top clubs coveting the midfielder.

Former Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho's current club Inter Milan have been the latest side to be linked with the player, with Sulley Muntari claiming Essien would be an ideal addition to their squad.

But Scolari insists he wants to keep Essien, who is currently battling to regain fitness after damaging his cruciate knee ligament while playing for Ghana in September.

The Chelsea boss said: "Inter, AC Milan, Barcelona and Real Madrid all want Essien but he is injured and he is at Chelsea.

"If I stay for three years I don't want him out, I want him to stay with me.

"This is because he is very good player who can play in five positions very well. He is young and dedicated. He is our player and I think he is happy here."

Despite rumours of a return in January, the 25-year-old is not setting a specific date for a comeback.

But Scolari believes it could be sooner rather than later as Essien, who had been expected to be out for most of the season, is working overtime to be fit.

He said: "Michael Essien is good news for me everyday. He is recovering quicker than we thought.

"He comes here at 10.30 in the morning and doesn't go until four in the afternoon. He tries to come back early. It is good for us. He is a fantastic example for other players.

"I don't want to put pressure on him but I think we will have good news sooner than we expected."

Scolari has been handed another injury boost with the news that Ricardo Carvalho should be back from a knee injury just after Christmas.

"The doctor says to me maybe 14 days more minimum. Maybe Ricardo will be fit for the games over Christmas on December 26th or 28th," Scolari added.

Bolton v Chelsea

Chelsea will be hoping to make the record books by notching their 11th consecutive away win against Bolton.

The Blues travel to the Reebok Stadium, where they claimed their first Premier League title in 2005, looking to continue their impressive run on the road.

Now the only unbeaten Premier League club on their travels this term, Luiz Felipe Scolari's side will be hoping to better the 10-match unbeaten run set by Bill Nicholson's title-winning Tottenham in 1960.

Defeat to Arsenal last time out saw the Blues relegated from top spot in the league and extended their disappointing run to no win in three games.

But with a good record against the Wanderers, and boasting the mantle of highest scorers in the Premier League, the Blues can afford to be in confident mood.

Bidding for their sixth successive away Premier League victory over Bolton at the Reebok Stadium, Chelsea have managed a clean sheet in their last seven top flight games against the Trotters.

Gary Megson's side, though, can boast a solid run of form - winning four of their last five Premier League matches.

Back-to-back wins over Middlesbrough and Sunderland have seen the Trotters rise to within three points of a Uefa Cup spot.

Currently occupying their highest position in the league this term, Bolton have lost only one of their last five games.

Their home form, though, has been far from convincing, with just two wins at the Reebok Stadium so far this term.

Team news

Bolton have a clean bill of health after midfielder Matt Taylor shrugged off a slight thigh strain picked up at the Stadium of Light last week.

Nicolas Anelka returns to the Reebok for the first time since joining Chelsea last season and looks likely to start against his former club.

The Blues will be without Didier Drogba who serves the last part of his three-match ban, whilst Joe Cole is out with an ankle injury.

Cole picked up a knock against Bordeaux in the Champions League and remains sidelined after missing Sunday's defeat to Arsenal.

Ricardo Carvalho (knee), Franco Di Santo (hamstring) and Juliano Belletti (ankle) are all absentees.

Possible starting Xls

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill, O'Brien, Samuel, Muamba, Davies, Nolan, McCann, Taylor, Elmander

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Terry, Ivanovic, A Cole, Lampard, Mikel, Ballack, Deco, Kalou, Anelka

Bolton 0-2 Chelsea

Nicolas Anelka returned to haunt his former club with the opener as Chelsea returned to winning ways in impressive fashion at the Reebok Stadium.

The Frenchman put Chelsea ahead when he headed home Jose Bosingwa's cross after nine minutes, and Deco wrapped up the points with a superb scissors-kick.

The Blues had chances for a third, but Bolton responded valiantly late on.

Gary Cahill wasted their best chance, though, as Chelsea set a new record of 11 straight top-flight away victories.

It surpassed the record set by Tottenham in 1960 and Chelsea will be encouraged by the omens as Spurs went on to win the league in the 1960-61 season.

And Luiz Felipe Scolari will know that if Chelsea can replicate their away form at Stamford Bridge they will be in with a shout come next May, for this was a fine win that keeps up the pressure on leaders Liverpool, who also won.

The hosts came into the match on the back of four wins in five matches but, with Chelsea unbeaten at Bolton since 1997, the Trotters could have done without Kevin Davies missing a header when unmarked from Gavin McCann's corner.

It was a chance the striker would normally expect to get on target and he was made to pay when, barely a minute later, Chelsea were ahead.

Bosingwa was the creator, the right-back clipping a perfect cross into the area for Anelka to head in off the post to mark his first match against Bolton since his £15m departure with a goal.

Bolton responded but, apart from a Matthew Taylor long-ranger and a series of uncharacteristic flaps at crosses from Petr Cech, rarely threatened.

And on 21 minutes Deco showed the hosts how it is done in emphatic style, the Portuguese playmaker latching on to Michael Ballack's flick with a superb scissors-kick that flew into the corner.

Given the Blues' ruthlessness away from home, the second goal was the last thing Bolton needed. Chelsea were able to soak up pressure and hit the hosts on the break, with Deco guilty of a poor miss when he shot wide when through.

However, Bolton refused to give in and, to their credit, caused the odd moment of panic in the Chelsea box.

Twice the visitors had strong appeals for a penalty waved away, first when John Terry appeared to block Johan Elmander's shot with his arm - though it was by his side - and then when the same player handled Davies's header.

Both would have been harsh, though, and it was Cahill that missed the Trotters' best chance, diving on to Davies's flick-on only for Cech to beat his header away from goal.

It proved the Trotters' final chance and their brave second-half display was, ultimately, to no avail, Chelsea seeing out their first win in three matches.

Chelsea assistant first-team coach Ray Wilkins:

"It was a great win for us. When we needed to fight, we fought, and when we could we played good football and made some very good chances, so we're delighted.

"We're not too concerned about the record, all we're worried about is silverware so this was all about three points.

"Of course our away form is exceptional but no-one here is worried about our home form. That will come, I'm sure."

Bolton manager Gary Megson:

"You can always take positives out of a game once you sit and analyse it but at this moment in time I'm disappointed - not just with the result, but with the way we played in the first half.

"We always try to push on against teams and take the game to them - get in their face, to use a players' expression - but we just weren't intense enough in the opening half.

"Ultimately, it has cost us because you can't expect to give a team like Chelsea a two-goal lead and get away with it. Yes, we did better in the second half, but by then it was too late."

Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Steinsson, Cahill, Andrew O'Brien, Samuel (Smolarek 80), Davies, McCann, Nolan, Muamba (Gardner 46), Taylor, Elmander.

Subs Not Used: Al Habsi, Riga, Shittu, Basham, Obadeyi.

Booked: Davies, Andrew O'Brien.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa (Ivanovic 89), Terry, Alex, Ashley Cole, Mikel, Kalou (Ferreira 83), Lampard, Ballack, Deco, Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Sinclair, Mineiro, Stoch, Woods.

Booked: Ballack.

Goals: Anelka 9, Deco 21.

Att: 22,023

Ref: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire).

Lampard,Ballack and Deco was much more at ease with Bolton's pedestrian midfield than against Arsenal's a week ago.We were able to get our passing game going and control much of the game.We should have buried Bolton long before their second half comeback but for some sloppyness in front of goal by Kalou,in particular.He's going through a confidence crisis at the moment.The defence looked much more solid with Alex back along side JT.

With Lampard missing against Cluj,it was very important that Ballack stayed injury free.

Well thats another record in the bag, not that they count for very much. Our away game has been excellent though, only conceding one away goal is a great performance and should be a massive confidence boost for Cech and the back 4 whoever they have been. We do really play well away from home with our counter attacking, I just wish we could break down the teams better at home but I suppose the majority of them come to the Bridge and park the bus to take home a point.

With Lamps out for the Cluj game we have struggled for goals before, if Anelka isn't up for the game you have to look at where the goals will come from but for me every time Lamps isn't playing Ballack always steps up to the plate and takes control of the midfield. Hopefully with the excellent goal scored by Deco that will kick start his season again as he played before he got injuried. For a prediction from me for the Cluj game would be 2-0, one of the goal scorers being Ballack. :o

What do you make of Bosingwa,Mr.S? Great going forward but couldnt tackle my Granny.

It seems like he's reluctant to commit himself preferring to shadow the man but then gets left back on his heels when the opposing player accelerates.Perhaps Ashley C should offer a few words of advice as hes one of the best tacklers around.

Something else thats got me annoyed is this latest craze of tapping the ball about a foot to the side prior to having a shot at a free kick situation.Somebody enlighten me on the point of all that!I have yet to see anything productive achieved from,what must be,a training ground move.All it does is to give the wall that extra split second to get forward.

I think Bosingwa is ok, typical south american style, even though he is Portugese he has that bombing down the flanks mentality, has scored a few crackers but I agree he does need to improve his tackling. The point of shifting the ball to the side is to have a clear shot on goal but as you say the defenders do get an extra second to close down the shot, maybe they would be better off knocking the ball on twice, to confuse the defense and give even more space to shoot. All well and good taking elaborate free kicks but when the shot isn't even on target...thats what winds me up, how can a professional not be able to do that is beyond me.

I think Bosingwa is ok, typical south american style, even though he is Portugese he has that bombing down the flanks mentality, has scored a few crackers but I agree he does need to improve his tackling. The point of shifting the ball to the side is to have a clear shot on goal but as you say the defenders do get an extra second to close down the shot, maybe they would be better off knocking the ball on twice, to confuse the defense and give even more space to shoot. All well and good taking elaborate free kicks but when the shot isn't even on target...thats what winds me up, how can a professional not be able to do that is beyond me.

Knocking the ball on twice,eh?Good idea that,mate,if you shift the second touch over a yard.Should be put in the FA Coaching manual. :o Sunderland had a great position for a free kick at the weekend.It was just outside the penalty area and was crying out for a pot into one of the top corners.Guess what they did and guess what happened?

Agreed that there is absolutely no excuse for professional footballers not to hit the target.How many times do you here coaches tell their players to work the goalkeeper?

Scolari unfazed by Blues pressure

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari says he can cope with the pressure as his side face a crucial Champions League tie against CFR Cluj on Tuesday.

The Blues need a win to guarantee them a place in the knock-out stages but Scolari said the pressure was nothing compared to managing Brazil.

"Do you know how many people live in Brazil? All the people there are coaches," he said.

"I was coach there and you think there is pressure here? It is zero pressure."

Scolari also insisted it would not be a disaster if Chelsea fail to qualify for the knockout stages of the competition for the first time.

A draw or loss to the Romanian side would allow Bordeaux to knock out the Blues if the French team beat Roma.

The Brazilian would be the first Chelsea manager to fail to lead them out of the group stage of the Champions League.

Although elimination would be a disaster for the Stamford Bridge club and their billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich, Scolari - despite the threat of them slipping into the Uefa Cup - is remaining calm.

"This is only one more game. It is important for our qualification for the next phase," added the former Portugal manager.

"It is the same as other games because we need three points. If we win, we are in the next phase.

"It is not the most important game of the season - it is one more game.

"If we lose, then maybe were are out. It is possible. If we lose and we are out of the Champions League, I will not feel good. But no more than that. This is life, this is football."

Chelsea 2-1 CFR Cluj

Chelsea achieved their mission to reach the Champions League knockout phase by beating Cluj - but it was not without its anxious moments on a night of tension at Stamford Bridge.

Luiz Felipe Scolari has presided over a stuttering campaign in the group phase, and so it proved again as Chelsea produced an unimpressive display before finally achieving the victory they required.

Salomon Kalou scrambled home Chelsea's opener to break the deadlock six minutes before the interval, only for Cluj to set alarm bells ringing around Stamford Bridge when Yssouf Kone headed an equaliser after 55 minutes.

Didier Drogba emerged from the substitutes' bench to steer home the winner with 19 minutes left, but Roma's win against Bordeaux means Chelsea finish second in Group A and face a potentially hazardous last 16 draw.

Although they will not meet former boss Jose Mourinho's Inter Milan side until at least the quarter-finals after the Italians could only claim second spot in their group.

Scolari insisted he was feeling no pressure, despite failing to secure qualification before the final group game, but Chelsea's nerves betrayed them for long periods before they finally overcame their battling Romanian opponents.

Chelsea will need to improve markedly in the knockout phase, but for now Scolari will simply be satisfied to have successfully negotiated his way, albeit unconvincingly, into the latter stages of the tournament.

Cluj even threatened a shock in the early exchanges, but were overpowered long before the end.

Chelsea, without the suspended Frank Lampard, needed a fast start to ease the nerves inside Stamford Bridge - but it was Cluj who posed the first threat after six minutes when Petr Cech had to push away Alvaro Pereira's shot.

Alex had Chelsea's first opportunity, but he wasted a clear chance when he headed off target from Deco's free-kick.

Cluj were playing with real freedom in the early stages, and it was only the intervention of Jon Obi Mikel that stopped them from stunning the home support after 16 minutes.

Juan Culio's far-post cross was met by Hugo Alcantara, whose header was smuggled to safety by Mikel with Cadu waiting to pounce.

Chelsea were starting to move into the ascendancy as the interval approached, with Nicolas Anelka firing just wide and Kalou seeing a shot deflected just over.

But just as it looked as if Cluj would survive to the interval unscathed, Chelsea made the priceless breakthrough after 39 minutes.

Deco's free-kick caused confusion in the Cluj penalty area, with John Terry heavily involved, and when the ball ran loose to Kalou, he hammered an emphatic finish past Nuno Claro.

Chelsea finally found some rhythm in the early stages of the second half, with Joe Cole and Nicolas Anelka both testing keeper Claro.

Scolari's side looked to be finally establishing a stranglehold on the game, but Cluj punctured the air of anticipation around Stamford Bridge with an equaliser after 55 minutes.

It was a goal of stunning simplicity, with Panin's cross finding Kone at the far post to power a header high past Cech.

Chelsea's response was instant and Joe Cole was again denied by a superb save from Claro at point-blank range. Scolari took Cluj's equaliser as the signal to send on Drogba, and he was introduced at the expense of Kalou.

And he provided the cutting edge Chelsea required as he restored their lead with 19 minutes remaining.

Joe Cole was the provider with a neat pass that Drogba controlled expertly before beating Claro to score only his second goal of an injury-affected season.

The goal deflated Cluj and for the first time they appeared resigned to their fate as Chelsea were finally able to exert total control on their resilient opponents.

Chelsea saw out the victory in comfort, but the applause that greeted the final whistle smacked more of relief than celebration - a clear sign that they must find another gear if they are to make a real impact on the Champions League this season.

Chelsea: Cech, Ashley Cole, Terry, Alex, Bosingwa, Kalou (Drogba 64), Deco, Mikel (Bridge 87), Ballack, Joe Cole (Belletti 74), Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Ferreira, Stoch.

Booked: Belletti, Mikel.

Goals: Kalou 40, Drogba 71.

CFR Cluj-Napoca: Nuno Claro, Pereira, Hugo Alcantara, Cadu, Panin, Muresan, Dani, Culio, Trica (Peralta 72), Dubarbier (Emmanuel Kone 59), Yssouf Kone.

Subs Not Used: Hirschfeld, Prette, Deac, De Souza, Ruiz.

Booked: Trica, Culio.

Goals: Yssouf Kone 55.

Att: 41,060

Ref: Peter Frojdfeldt (Sweden).

I don't suppose your Mob have got a 15 plus Person Injury List have you as we're not coming in the best of spirits on Sunday & will need a bit of luck or 12 ?? :D

Franco will get a great ovation when he appears at the Bridge but I'm afraid that will be the limit of our generosity,Mr. S :o

I don't suppose your Mob have got a 15 plus Person Injury List have you as we're not coming in the best of spirits on Sunday & will need a bit of luck or 12 ?? :D

Franco will get a great ovation when he appears at the Bridge but I'm afraid that will be the limit of our generosity,Mr. S :o

It's gona be the best chance for the hammers to beat us now, I was at the game last night, we weren't firing on all cylinders as we should of been for such a big game. I reckon the best thing the Hammers could do is park the bus as most teams do when they come to the Bridge, they aren't banging in tons of goals so I'm sure we will win but I hope its not a landslide for Franco's sake.

Good song singing last night....Thank you Zola for taking the Hammers down, oh thank you Zola! haha

It's gona be the best chance for the hammers to beat us now, I was at the game last night, we weren't firing on all cylinders as we should of been for such a big game. I reckon the best thing the Hammers could do is park the bus as most teams do when they come to the Bridge, they aren't banging in tons of goals so I'm sure we will win but I hope its not a landslide for Franco's sake.

Good song singing last night....Thank you Zola for taking the Hammers down, oh thank you Zola! haha

Is that sang to the tune of " Ground full of Tourists, you're just a Ground full of Tourists " ?? :D

Edited by MSingh

Lamps - I'm a true Blue :o

Frank Lampard has praised Chelsea fans for making him one of their own.

The England midfielder moved to Stamford Bridge in 2001 in an £11million switch from rivals West Ham, whom he supported as a boy.

He now gets targeted by the Hammers fans when he plays against them, which will occur again on Sunday when the two teams clash at Stamford Bridge in a game being shown live on Sky Sports 1 at 4pm.

Lampard said: "The reason I'm so close with the fans and have a rapport with them is that coming from West Ham and growing up a West Ham fan and coming to Chelsea, looking back I didn't understand so much it was a potentially difficult move because of the rivalry.

"It was a difficult year when I arrived and I wasn't playing outstandingly well but they took to me, gave me a chance, and in the second year got fully behind me.

"The way they are with me on the pitch and off the pitch, I feel very strongly as a Chelsea person and it's overtaken my life. I can't forget that.

"It's well documented that there was the potential to leave in the summer but I didn't want to let down the people who supported me over the years."

The club and fans also rallied around Lampard after his mother, Pat, passed away last season.

He added: "It's been a terrible year for me because of my personal situation, and that supersedes football.

"Football has been tough but on the pitch it's been relatively successful."

As for this season, he would like to help the Blues win another Premier League crown, followed closely by earning a first-ever UEFA Champions League success.

"I would like to win the Premier League back," he said. "I think the feeling we had when we won was amazing. That is at the top of my list, but the Champions League isn't far behind.

"This season has started very well for me - I'd go so far to say it's some of the best football I've played. I feel good and hope to continue that."

Alex Asks for Move!

alex_280x390_677106a.jpg

Brazil defender Alex has told Chelsea he wants to leave the club in January.

The 26-year-old has played 12 games this season and is reportedly looking for regular first-team football.

"I told Chelsea a few days ago that I wanted to leave," he was quoted as saying in The Sun. "There are many options. But I have to think them through and see if Chelsea will let me leave in January."

Alex moved to Stamford Bridge from Santos in 2004 but spent three years on loan at PSV Eindhoven because of work permit problems. He is behind England captain John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho in the Chelsea pecking order.

with Scolari cracking under intense pressure, is Chelsea season unraveling before our eyes? :o

Bit too quick to jump the gun Sarge! one more post like that and you will be court marshalled! :o

Blues rubbish Alex claims

Chelsea insist they have not received a transfer request from Brazilian defender Alex.

The 26-year-old was quoted on Thursday morning saying that he had asked for a move away from Stamford Bridge.

However, in a statement on their official website, the Blues are adamant that they have not been contacted by Alex.

Chelsea have also stated that no other member of Luiz Felipe Scolari's squad has asked to leave West London.

The statement read: "Chelsea would like to make clear that no transfer request has been received from any player.

"Chelsea will decide the future of any contracted player in the best interests of the club."

AC Milan and Sevilla have already expressed an interest in the £10million-rated defender, who is believed to be frustrated by his lack of first-team involvement.

Meanwhile, Paul Clement has been named Chelsea's new reserve team manager.

Clement, who managed the club's youth team last season, said: "I am very excited by the challenge.

"It is a fantastic opportunity for me and a privilege to be in the position, and I'm really looking forward to it."

Chief executive Peter Kenyon added: "We are delighted to appoint Paul. He has proved himself as an excellent manager and coach of the youth team."

Alex Asks for Move!

alex_280x390_677106a.jpg

Brazil defender Alex has told Chelsea he wants to leave the club in January.

The 26-year-old has played 12 games this season and is reportedly looking for regular first-team football.

"I told Chelsea a few days ago that I wanted to leave," he was quoted as saying in The Sun. "There are many options. But I have to think them through and see if Chelsea will let me leave in January."

Alex moved to Stamford Bridge from Santos in 2004 but spent three years on loan at PSV Eindhoven because of work permit problems. He is behind England captain John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho in the Chelsea pecking order.

with Scolari cracking under intense pressure, is Chelsea season unraveling before our eyes? :o

Blimey,as The Sun have reported it,it MUST be true :D