Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Terry pens five-year Chelsea deal :)

Chelsea captain John Terry has signed a new five-year contract which is reported to be worth £150,000 per week.

The defender was the subject of much transfer speculation in the summer, with claims of a £40m bid from Manchester City for the 28-year-old.

A statement on the official Chelsea website stated the club was "delighted" that Terry had signed the new deal.

It added that the move reaffirms the England skipper's desire to end his career at Stamford Bridge.

After prolonged rumours suggesting Terry was considering a move to Manchester City this summer, the centre-back eventually ended his silence by pledging his future to the club in July.

Terry was wanted by City boss Mark Hughes as a key part of the Manchester club's recent revolution that has seen them spend in excess of £120m on the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, Carlos Tevez, Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry.

It was reported that City were willing to offer Terry £200,000 a week to sign for them. City subsequently turned their attention to alternative defensive targets.

They signed Kolo Toure from Arsenal for £14m on 29 July and Terry's England colleague Joleon Lescott from Everton for £22m on 25 August.

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti said in his first media conference after taking the reigns at the club that he would not consider selling Terry.

It was reported Terry wanted assurances from owner Roman Abramovich that the Londoners were still able to match his own ambitions before committing to the club.

So far this season, Terry has played every minute of Chelsea's 100% start to the season, which has seen them win four straight matches to top the Premier League along with Tottenham.

Terry has been with Chelsea since the age of 14 and has won two Premier League titles, four FA Cups, three League Cups and a Cup Winners Cup in the last 11 years, leading to his nickname of "Mr Chelsea".

He also led Chelsea to the Champions League final against Manchester United in 2008, although his missed penalty in the shoot-out after the teams had fought out a 1-1 extra time draw in Moscow allowed United to lift the European Cup instead.

Terry has made 276 appearances for Chelsea, scoring 17 goals and has been capped 54 times by England since his international debut in 2003.

How does the financial details of deals like this get leaked? It only causes unrest when other players see what he's getting.

I thought I would look in on Football Focus last night and,what a shock,the studio judges were all singing the praises of Chelsea and came to the conclusion that it was a lay down for us to win the Premier League this season. Laughable.We've played four games and beaten Hull,Sunderland,Fulham and Burnley.Now there's a line up that would put the fear of Christ in the rest of the division! Was that the basis of their conclusion?

I'm not saying it can't happen but it does wind me up when it's obvious they haven't thought about what they've said.

Not one of them mentioned that we would lose Drogba,Essien,Obi Mikel and Kalou to the African Nations Cup in January/February.A big loss for even our talented squad.

I thought I would look in on Football Focus last night and,what a shock,the studio judges were all singing the praises of Chelsea and came to the conclusion that it was a lay down for us to win the Premier League this season. Laughable.We've played four games and beaten Hull,Sunderland,Fulham and Burnley.Now there's a line up that would put the fear of Christ in the rest of the division! Was that the basis of their conclusion?

I'm not saying it can't happen but it does wind me up when it's obvious they haven't thought about what they've said.

Not one of them mentioned that we would lose Drogba,Essien,Obi Mikel and Kalou to the African Nations Cup in January/February.A big loss for even our talented squad.

Mate you do post some very honest posts about your team credit where cdedit isdue mate.

Iwas only think the other day you have not played anyone of note yet.

But i must conclude you look a very settled team and i cannot see you loosing more than 3 games all season.

Mate you do post some very honest posts about your team credit where cdedit isdue mate.

But i must conclude you look a very settled team and i cannot see you loosing more than 3 games all season.

It is the only way I can be,Nev.I've supported the club for 55 years and,along the way, I've encountered many false dawns and kicks in the <deleted>.It's right that you must defend your CLUB against imbeciles but players are a different issue.I will criticise them because,as far as I'm concerned and no matter who,they are,after all,just employees of the club.They come and go and it is very rare that true loyalty is shown by them.The fans are different as they stick with the club through thick and thin.

Ex players on these studio panels are definitely under the spotlight for criticism. People think that,because they played professional football,they know what they are talking about.Utter nonsense.Most of them are failures at managing a club and couldn't tie their shoelaces.They sit there and tell us what we already know 99% of the time.They,ofcourse,can never be wrong which is why they gauge the general consensus amongst other tossers on other T.V.channels,newspapers and bookmakers odds and come to the conclusion that,yes,this is Chelsea's year.....after four games!

I didn't realise it was African Cup Year, those Players are HUGE Players to lose, in January too..

How long are they missing for P' Old Git ???

Still reckon you'll have it wrapped up in April though, no matter who you have & haven't played..

It is the only way I can be,Nev.I've supported the club for 55 years and,along the way, I've encountered many false dawns and kicks in the <deleted>.It's right that you must defend your CLUB against imbeciles but players are a different issue.I will criticise them because,as far as I'm concerned and no matter who,they are,after all,just employees of the club.They come and go and it is very rare that true loyalty is shown by them.The fans are different as they stick with the club through thick and thin.

How right you are oldgit. Well said. :)

Ex players on these studio panels are definitely under the spotlight for criticism. People think that,because they played professional football,they know what they are talking about.Utter nonsense.Most of them are failures at managing a club and couldn't tie their shoelaces.They sit there and tell us what we already know 99% of the time.They,ofcourse,can never be wrong which is why they gauge the general consensus amongst other tossers on other T.V.channels,newspapers and bookmakers odds and come to the conclusion that,yes,this is Chelsea's year.....after four games!

good post mate i agree100% about the pundits on telly, just because they have played the game does not mean they know more than the fans that live and breath football.

55 years mate that is along time i have been watching united since my first visit in 1965 as a 7 year old.

I didn't realise it was African Cup Year, those Players are HUGE Players to lose, in January too..

How long are they missing for P' Old Git ???

Still reckon you'll have it wrapped up in April though, no matter who you have & haven't played..

Officially,I believe it's six weeks.Unofficially,I remember Kalou going walkabout and was on the missing list for another fortnight :)

good post mate i agree100% about the pundits on telly, just because they have played the game does not mean they know more than the fans that live and breath football.

55 years mate that is along time i have been watching united since my first visit in 1965 as a 7 year old.

Yeah,as an eight year old,I saw Roy Bentley lift the First Division Championship in 1955 and it's been a long ,hard slog to our next one. Double aggravation of the highest order,in between.

Breaking Sky news

FIFA bans Chelsea FC from signing any new players for the next 2 transfer windows.

I thought this was a wind up until I looked at the Skysports website. I can't see the club taking this lying down and I suspect an appeal will be made.This smells like another Platini swipe against English clubs.Nevertheless,this could prove a precedent and a warning to clubs regarding the 'tapping up' of players.I wonder if FIFA will examine Ronaldo's transfer to Real Madrid? Don't hold your breath,lads.

I've been reading Chels will be taking this to the court of arbitration, the punishment is far too severe to just pull out of the bag and expect us to lay down and take.

There has been a mention of an Egyption team that had a similar punishment handed to them, after a few court appearances FIFA suspended the ban......to be continued! :)

Hows it going OG? looks like the title is in the bag already eh? haha

Apparently the young lad was tapped up in 2007 when he was 16. However what is very strange is that Lens had him under training since he was 8.........

Hope all those Chelsea fogies have been taking their red bull.......plenty of gametime ahead !

I've been reading Chels will be taking this to the court of arbitration, the punishment is far too severe to just pull out of the bag and expect us to lay down and take.

There has been a mention of an Egyption team that had a similar punishment handed to them, after a few court appearances FIFA suspended the ban......to be continued! :)

Hows it going OG? looks like the title is in the bag already eh? haha

Pretty good,S.Yep,the 'judges' have made up their minds so I don't see any reason why they cant give us the trophy now!

A thought occured to me about loan deals.These don't come within the transfer window rules.I don't reckon we'll be getting much business from the Premier League clubs,though!

Apparently the young lad was tapped up in 2007 when he was 16. However what is very strange is that Lens had him under training since he was 8.........

Hope all those Chelsea fogies have been taking their red bull.......plenty of gametime ahead !

I don't think we would have been doing much business in the January window anyway,Sponge,as the team,as old as it is,is pretty settled.It was the August 2010 one where we needed to crack on.

Assuming the appeal is going to drag on,it will give the young lads at the club a great chance to make their mark.

Looks like United are going down the same road.

From skysports:-

United primed for Pogba fight

Le Havre ready to report Red Devils to Fifa

Manchester United have vowed to challenge any case brought against them regarding their dealings with Paul Pogba.

The Red Devils saw Premier League rivals Chelsea handed an 18-month transfer embargo on Thursday after they were deemed to have broken Fifa regulations.

The charge related to their acquisition of French youngster Gael Kakuta from Lens in 2007.

United could be the next side in the firing line, with Ligue 2 outfit Le Havre threatening to report them to Fifa.

They are unhappy at the manner in which Sir Alex Ferguson's men went about their pursuit of teenage star Pogba.

United, however, insist they have done nothing wrong, despite the player yet to be officially registered at Old Trafford.

"It is complete nonsense," a spokesman for United said.

"Everything has been done within Uefa guidelines."

Le Havre managing director Alain Belsoeur disagrees and claims to have documentation proving United offered Pogba incentives to join the club.

"We are still pursuing our case," Belsoeur told The Times.

"It is a very serious case. We are confident that we'll win because it is in the best interests not just of our club but of sport.

"We spend 5million euros [about £4.3million] on our academy every year out of a turnover of 12million euros. It is a huge investment.

"We do that to give a chance to our players to develop for our first team, not to be an academy for others.

"What is the point of investing in an academy if the players leave at 16? This is clearly a message from Fifa to protect the education system."

Some revelent points i've just found :

One thing about the Chelsea case puzzles me, though. For a player to play in another nation's league, there has to be a signature from the secretary of the selling club and a clearance certificate from that national association.

'Fifa`s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, Article 17, paragraph 4, states: "It shall be presumed, unless established to the contrary, that any club signing a professional who has terminated his contract without just cause has induced that professional to commit a breach. The club shall be banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for two registration periods'

A French football agent, who wishes to remain anonymous for professional reasons, told BBC Sport: "If Lens or Le Havre were legally able to sign the two players to contracts they would definitely have done it already.

"But French law prevents players from signing contracts if they under 16 and haven't achieved the requisite level at school.

"The clubs can make agreements with these players that say they will give them a contract when they have attained the right educational qualification of turned 16.

"It is a pre-contract. It is called an 'accord de norm sollicitation' in French. It is a written agreement between club and player.

"That is what Kakuta and Pogba had. Fifa is clearly now saying these accords are as good as contracts, while Chelsea and Manchester United are saying they are not."

A seperate issue but thought i would point it out anyway, what happens if the boy is a bit of a thicko say a Paul Gascoigne, does this mean he never gets a contract ?

Edited by alfieconn

Some revelent points i've just found :

One thing about the Chelsea case puzzles me, though. For a player to play in another nation's league, there has to be a signature from the secretary of the selling club and a clearance certificate from that national association.

'Fifa`s Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players, Article 17, paragraph 4, states: "It shall be presumed, unless established to the contrary, that any club signing a professional who has terminated his contract without just cause has induced that professional to commit a breach. The club shall be banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for two registration periods'

[/size]

A French football agent, who wishes to remain anonymous for professional reasons, told BBC Sport: "If Lens or Le Havre were legally able to sign the two players to contracts they would definitely have done it already.

"But French law prevents players from signing contracts if they under 16 and haven't achieved the requisite level at school.

"The clubs can make agreements with these players that say they will give them a contract when they have attained the right educational qualification of turned 16.

"It is a pre-contract. It is called an 'accord de norm sollicitation' in French. It is a written agreement between club and player.

"That is what Kakuta and Pogba had. Fifa is clearly now saying these accords are as good as contracts, while Chelsea and Manchester United are saying they are not."

A seperate issue but thought i would point it out anyway, what happens if the boy is a bit of a thicko say a Paul Gascoigne, does this mean he never gets a contract ?

Some interesting issues raised here,mate.So it looks like that there was never a legally binding document signed between Lens and Kakuta /Le Havre and Pogba due to their ages,but a sort of gentleman's agreement.You would have thought that a parent or guardian would have sanctioned the contract or isn't that binding in France?.Surely this is the case in the England?At any rate,plenty of loopholes for the legal eagles of Chelsea and Man. Utd. to get their teeth into.

I think it is just a attack on the english teams to stop the monopoly of the champions league.

Didn't similar happen to Lazio (was it ?)

Conspiracy theories ... :)

Whether this particular case is a general conspiracy against the dominance of English clubs in Europe is hard to gauge as this was a ruling laid down by FIFA and not UEFA.What is undeniable is that there is an agenda by,especially, Platini to level the playing field in Europe hence the recent proposal to limit clubs to spending only what they actually earn in revenue.Something that,oddly,Abramovich gave his backing to.Did he get wind of this latest transfer saga beforehand?

Didn't similar happen to Lazio (was it ?)

Conspiracy theories ... :)

Whether this particular case is a general conspiracy against the dominance of English clubs in Europe is hard to gauge as this was a ruling laid down by FIFA and not UEFA.What is undeniable is that there is an agenda by,especially, Platini to level the playing field in Europe hence the recent proposal to limit clubs to spending only what they actually earn in revenue.Something that,oddly,Abramovich gave his backing to.Did he get wind of this latest transfer saga beforehand?

My mistake saying it was Lazio. when it was in fact Roma. However, this "kidnapping of young boys" as it's emotively been put, is of grave concern. Chelsea aren't alone in this and I understand that others may well follow. For instance, Chelsea representatives actually landed a helicopter on a playing field to take one youngster away. Since then he has not been on the radar at all. I've been following this kind of activity since been made aware by an English, South American football correspondent (Tim, something or another) who regularly appears on 5 Live's football phone-in -- it's available on podcast.

The only agenda is to stop this "kidnapping" from continuing as I understand it. If Premiership teams are the most culpable -- then so be it.

Chelsea will only succeed in any appeal if they can prove that no tapping-up has occurred.

My mistake saying it was Lazio. when it was in fact Roma. However, this "kidnapping of young boys" as it's emotively been put, is of grave concern. Chelsea aren't alone in this and I understand that others may well follow. For instance, Chelsea representatives actually landed a helicopter on a playing field to take one youngster away. Since then he has not been on the radar at all. I've been following this kind of activity since been made aware by an English, South American football correspondent (Tim, something or another) who regularly appears on 5 Live's football phone-in -- it's available on podcast.

You mean they actually kidnapped the kid :) ,so did they play him or just hold him for ransom :D