Subway gone!

jobin

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole point of large franchise operations is that they offer a standard experience everywhere - I've eaten Subway in the UK, China, Thailand, Saudi and the UAE (and probably in other places but I forget where) and they've always been crappy sandwiches - however, they are often the only option at an airport or in some obscure business estate (we actually had one in our HQ in Saudi - catering exclusively to our staff).

Most franchises are like that. It's why they exist.

The only franchises I'd be excited to see here are Jasmi Burger (Bahrain's answer to Burger King and it rocks), Al Baik (Saudi's answer to KFC and the only fast food restaurant where queues are literally round the block 3 times to get in), Hardee's (Gulf style - when they split with the American operation their menu was frozen in time) and Fuddrucker's (that dreadful cheese sauce is awesome on fries).

All that aside it won't stop me eating fast food when I'm on the go or just in need of a quick feed. None of this makes Subway a better experience though; the sandwiches are poor value for money and you can make a much better sandwich at home.

Bless me father for I have sinned. I paid 138 baht and left a 12 baht tip at Subway for a 12 inch

teriyaki sub with olives pickles and cheese on it.

It was delicious. O yes I used Southwest sauce on it. coffee1.gif

Only real argument for choosing Subway is you like the taste. Thinking it's a healthy alternative because it's all fresh is deluding yourself.

Edited by Rob13

poor value for money and you can make a much better sandwich at home.

In my opinion, literally most everything is of poor value and can be made better at home. But most of us are too lazy to cook and clean the mess afterwards or goes by the saying, 'it always tastes better when someone else makes it'. Then again there are some who have no idea how to boil water let alone cook something........ smile.png

That's the same Chipotle that food poisoned its customers right? Just to make sure we're on the same page here.

Yep, lost 10 billion in market cap, but they actually took responsibility. 10 years ago, no one had heard of it...now worth 8 times more than Sotheby's

I could write a list of places with better Mexican (none of them here), but they do market themselves as using only the finest ingredients. But, in food service, you are only as good as your weakest link....a concept that many here need to learn. One untrained nitwit can prevent a customer from ever returning. Should we thank the Europeans for the pathetic tip sharing and service charges (that aren't shared) at many restauranys/bars here? Some guy/girl goes out of their way to give you great service, you tip 200 THB, and she gets an extra 12 THB at the end of her shift? It's counterproductive and irrational, but so is drinking warm beer.

Jack off in a the Box, didn't just poison it's customers; it killed them, with Echoli. However, if a JITB opened up on Huay Kaew it would be the biggest thing to hit Chiang Mai since 7-11. There would be an entire forum on TV, dedicated to JITB.

What cuisine do Sotheby's sell? Edited by JaseTheBass

In my opinion, literally most everything is of poor value and can be made better at home. But most of us are too lazy to cook and clean the mess afterwards or goes by the saying, 'it always tastes better when someone else makes it'. Then again there are some who have no idea how to boil water let alone cook something........ smile.png

That's the thing though... Subway sell sandwiches, no cooking required. Bugger all cleaning if you use a chopping board to make it on and consume it from too...

That's the thing though... Subway sell sandwiches, no cooking required. Bugger all cleaning if you use a chopping board to make it on and consume it from too...

I don't know about you but those meatballs taste much better when cooked.... laugh.png

I don't know about you but those meatballs taste much better when cooked.... laugh.png

Microwaved. I think that's a zero effort activity for most people too...

Bless me father for I have sinned. I paid 138 baht and left a 12 baht tip at Subway for a 12 inch

teriyaki sub with olives pickles and cheese on it.

It was delicious. O yes I used Southwest sauce on it. coffee1.gif

Only real argument for choosing Subway is you like the taste. Thinking it's a healthy alternative because it's all fresh is deluding yourself.

cheesy.gif and you choose restaurant's because you don't like the tasteclap2.gif

I agree.

I wonder how many of these made at home super duper world class made at home are made with the same materials Subway makes?tongue.png

On the subject of "how to make a sandwich" this is a good example of how it shouldn't be done.

I was served this two days ago and I ask you "Now what?"

Well rebuild it so it can be eaten as a sandwich should be.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, just like I had to fix it before it jumped down mine, though I'm sure my explanation won't stop some of my favorite posters.

Yes it did taste good, I'm not complaining about that.

Yes it looked like that in the menu picture so I wasn't surprised or got served something I didn't order (pic. included for the sake of fairness)

But why would they serve a sandwich that couldn't be eaten as a sandwich without the customer having to make it a sandwich at the table ?

If it was 69 bht at a University stand ok you can't expect much, but it wasn't.

I'll answer for you:

#1. Form over function.

#2. They don't understand what a sandwich is, how it's suppose to be served and in turn eaten. (I've included a picture of what it should look like)

If they want to serve it to eat with a knife and fork, serve it open face like the turkey open face sandwich on their menu.

If they want some kind of a fancy presentation (it's suppose to be a Philly Cheese Steak after all!!!!!!) then cut it on the bias or put the top piece of bread laying on an angle etc.

Now if I have to, yes sorry I do, i'll point out that it's NOT really a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich.

Meat cut like a Thai stir-fry not shaved.

Mozzarella cheese, last time I looked Philly wasn't in Italy.

Other problems, mushroom those thick stem type cut longwise so took more then twice as long to chew as other ingredients, I actually thought it was inedible gristle until I took it out of my mouth (yeah lovely image in a dining room). If it ain't adding to the dish leave it off.

I could go on but you get the point, for 260 bht I expect them to google it first.

So just call it a Steak & Cheese Sub cuz it tasted nothing like a Philly Cheese Steak as they probably never had one and just using a name to sell something that is isn't which is wrong.

Now for 300 bht lunch for a sandwich and drink, though filling and enjoyable, I think can be better spent here even for Western food.

For instance (to give everyone my tip of the day) I had lunch at Enoteca yesterday. 295 bht for Bread basket with toppings, starter, main, dessert and bottled water and coffee all of very high standards and large portions.

Where are you going for lunch today, I'm going to try that burrito truck in Mae Hia.

post-101742-0-47768000-1464214425_thumb.

post-101742-0-21237500-1464214483_thumb.

post-101742-0-24936000-1464215196_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

Speaking to the owner, she said that Subways just dont appeal to Thais . Uncooked food, salad, is something that Thais dont like .

A trip to 'The Salad Concept' might convince you otherwise.

I am sure that there are a few Thais who enjoy a salad, but I am talking about generally

Salads are a significant part of any Thai cookbook, I have seen. Also, plenty of them on menus, and even at bar food places, like Dayli, lots of people getting salads with their promos. Best beef salad I ever had was at the HH Hilton. They also did a good one at Royal Thai, San Rafael, with beef tenderloin.

Speaking to the owner, she said that Subways just dont appeal to Thais . Uncooked food, salad, is something that Thais dont like .

A trip to 'The Salad Concept' might convince you otherwise.

And the mound of raw veggies on the table of a kanom jinn stand.... even raw eggpland and okra.

I thought 'fast food' was pre-prepared (minutes, even hours earlier) and merely sits around waiting for you to order it, pay and take it away.

That is not the Subway franchise method.

Every Subway is made to personal order and preference regarding 'jalapeno' or not. No Subway sits around like an Egg McMuffin, or Burger Giant.

Sure, the Subway team can crank out the sandwiches pretty fast but each is made to order. And don't u luv the honey/oat bread? It's so absorbent.

I just read where Subway now has the most outlets of any fast food chain in America.

World wide it is McDonalds.

I guess Americans have not been able to share the expertise found on Thai Visa.

Globally, Subway has considerably more outlets than McDonald's. They passed them already in 2010 or 2011..

I just read where Subway now has the most outlets of any fast food chain in America.

Because in the world's eyes Americans are the most discerning consumers of food? No, in the world's eyes Americans are the least discerning consumers of food which is why almost all fast food chains originate there. It's also why (along with the UK and Australia) America leads the world in obesity too.

Because in the world's eyes Americans are the most discerning consumers of food? No, in the world's eyes Americans are the least discerning consumers of food which is why almost all fast food chains originate there. It's also why (along with the UK and Australia) America leads the world in obesity too.

New York City is universally agreed upon by Chef's and other's knowledgeable in food as the world's best food city. PERIOD! or would that be PERIOD.

I thought 'fast food' was pre-prepared (minutes, even hours earlier) and merely sits around waiting for you to order it, pay and take it away.

That is not the Subway franchise method.

Every Subway is made to personal order and preference regarding 'jalapeno' or not. No Subway sits around like an Egg McMuffin, or Burger Giant.

Sure, the Subway team can crank out the sandwiches pretty fast but each is made to order. And don't u luv the honey/oat bread? It's so absorbent.

Fast food is ... um... well... food that you get fast.

Food that is prepared and served quickly.

You get your food at McDonald's and Subway quickly.

You can order a Egg McMuffin with cheese if you like.

Though I don't know MickeyD's policy I highly doubt that they are suppose to let food sit around for hours before selling.

Not that i believe everything I read on the internet but ...

What is max holding time on coffee at mcdonalds?
If its a glass coffe pot 30 minutes. More common are the metal pots which are 2 hours.
Our products have different holding times. BOP menu items (Breakfast, Chicken, fish, Vegetable and Pies) are put together when an order is placed. Beef products are held in a transfer bin for up to 10 minutes and fry are kept for up to 5 minutes.
Burgers cooked Fresh every time:
I'd like to add I can count how many times I've been to McDonalds in my life, and I can't count very high.

New York City is universally agreed upon by Chef's and other's knowledgeable in food as the world's best food city. PERIOD! or would that be PERIOD.

Especially by American chefs who think a trip to Atlantic City is international tourism.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

Some Jerseyites told me the Italian in SF is better than NYC. Wolfgang Puck, whose Vegas restaurant sucks, lives in LA because he says there is no place on the planet with as many different fresh ingredients. There are probably 100 food items grown in California of more quantity than the UK or any other European country. Add 5 billion Kg of fresh produce coming into the States from Mexico at just the Arizona port. Does the UK even grow 5 billion Kg of produce, total? probably not.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy