Subway gone!

jobin

Subways can vary quite a lot. Been in some great ones in Thailand; and I've walked out of a few (without buying), including the one at the Night Bazaar. That one at KSK was kind of in a bad location, and if it had been close to BKK Bank; it may have survived. It was almost hidden down there. The Nimman one, which has gone downhill, was doing 49 thb 6 inch hams for about a year....then 59..now not at all. But there are daily specials for 69 and you get your pick of 6 on Thursdays. It seemed to adopt the model of catering to the Chinese that others have used, without respecting longtime customers, who know better. I recall "Sub World" doing practically a belly-flop. Too many taxes on imported cold-cuts,,,and bread is somewhat expensive, too. Just a doomed business plan. I walked by Classic and BB Burgers last Saturday at 12:30....ZERO customers at both. Chiang Mai is a great place to study small businesses. After a while; you see what works and what doesn't. Franchises seem to survive, but many still operate at losses, but are able to remain open, and the Thai Family businesses, with low overhead also do well. The good ones have a lot of customers, the bad ones are often empty.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's cheap processed meat and cheese, just like the ham and cheese at 7/11. A real sub sandwich has fresh cuts of meat,ham,corned beef,pastrami not processed, I'd pay 200 baht for that, not for a spam sandwich though.

Four times people people have posted that the Subways subs are 69 Baht and not 200 Baht, like you have posted three times

Subways can vary quite a lot. Been in some great ones in Thailand; and I've walked out of a few (without buying), including the one at the Night Bazaar.

What didnt you agree with about the Night Bazaar one ?

Subways can vary quite a lot. Been in some great ones in Thailand; and I've walked out of a few (without buying), including the one at the Night Bazaar.

unbelievably small quantities of tuna on the tuna sub...I've seen more generous portions of cake icing.

unbelievably small quantities of tuna on the tuna sub...I've seen more generous portions of cake icing.

Two scoops, I think that its the same in all Subways

Yeah, it's cheap processed meat and cheese, just like the ham and cheese at 7/11. A real sub sandwich has fresh cuts of meat,ham,corned beef,pastrami not processed, I'd pay 200 baht for that, not for a spam sandwich though.

Haven't been in a lot of subways but yet to see a spam sub in one.

Four times people people have posted that the Subways subs are 69 Baht and not 200 Baht, like you have posted three times

I noticed that also. But he claims there is a spam sub there. Notice he had to be told how much Tuna was on one and still couldn't get the cost right. My friend pays 138 baht for a 12 inch one.

I wonder if he has ever been in a Subway.

Edited by northernjohn

That is only one out of about 10 different subs+ the different vegies you can get. Haven't tried that one but a friend of mine is a Cheap Charlie and he is there every Wednesday to get the Tuna one.

Been a Subway customer for nearly 40 years...they were using a spatula.

Been a Subway customer for nearly 40 years...they were using a spatula.

They use ice cream style scoops here

People are clinging onto "69 Baht" when in fact that's a promotional price for a sandwich from a list of "cheap to make" sandwiches. The last Subway I ate in Thailand was over 200 Baht for a 6 inch sandwich. I will freely admit that this was at an airport on an island so probably slightly more than the usual price but a Subway is no more 69 Baht than a pint of Guinness would be 50 Baht because of a St. Patrick's day promotion.

People are clinging onto "69 Baht" when in fact that's a promotional price for a sandwich from a list of "cheap to make" sandwiches. The last Subway I ate in Thailand was over 200 Baht for a 6 inch sandwich. I will freely admit that this was at an airport on an island so probably slightly more than the usual price but a Subway is no more 69 Baht than a pint of Guinness would be 50 Baht because of a St. Patrick's day promotion.

I stopped for one at the Asoke branch in Bkk last week.

There were 4 priced menus - 69b, 89b, 119b and 129b.

I think I went for a ham one which was from the 89b menu, and I remember was 103b for the set as I fished out the 3b from my sock.

Completely wrong, there are 69 Baht subs available everyday and its not always the cheapest non sub of the day ones .

Guinness being cheap on just one day a year is quite different to a product that is on sale at that price every day of the year .

Your 200 Baht sub probably included a drink, crisps and a biscuit, because there are no 6 inch subs that cost 200 Baht

69 baht, 200 baht, what difference does it make. They're processed low quality sandwiches. Same as you get at 711 for a fraction of the price.

Are you really comparing a freshly baked 6 inch sub which contains a chicken breast , cheese with fresh tomato , lettuce , carrot , peppers, jalapenos , onions , olives , cucumber and any sauce that you like with a stale old sandwich from 7/11 where you get a small slice of cheese or ham which doesnt even spread to the whole sandwich, so half the time, you are eating just the thinly sliced bread ..........but I suppose that at least you save yourself 50 Baht

A promotional photo of baguette, etc. And what's the cost and where to buy? How long to wait till it arrives?

I always liked to sneak a Subway onto AirAsia and sit in the rear munching away as we flew to exotic venues. And i always asked to overstuff the thing with vegies, every kind. That made for good health and no extra cost.

consuming your own food on AA, is against their rules...just sayin'.

My all time favorite....Genova Deli, Oakland....post-257548-0-33967000-1463444758_thumb.

The thing is, that the high quality deli stuff they use, would be well over 1000 thb per Kg here, so it just ain't gonna happen.

post-257548-0-62458200-1463444989_thumb.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

A promotional photo of baguette, etc. And what's the cost and where to buy? How long to wait till it arrives?

I always liked to sneak a Subway onto AirAsia and sit in the rear munching away as we flew to exotic venues. And i always asked to overstuff the thing with vegies, every kind. That made for good health and no extra cost.

Any street corner in Vietnam - usually about 20,000 Dong give or take - that's about 35 Baht.

The low cost of eating in the food courts at Tops/Kad Suan Keaw far outweighs the need for a gut buster, every time I stop by the place is always overloaded with Hillside and nearby scoffers, cheap charlies maybe or just good taste, dunno.

Well they did have the 49 Baht and 69 Baht daily specials which was pretty good, price-wise. I thought the sandwiches loaded with veggies and some oil and vinegar were much healthier than the Thai food served in the food court which has copious amounts of MSG, palm oil, fish sauce, etc.

Add the Huay Kaew Residence long-term, single men ex-pats to your list of frequent KSK food court diners. They are a breed unto themselves. The Aussies call them yobbos.

69 baht, 200 baht, what difference does it make. They're processed low quality sandwiches. Same as you get at 711 for a fraction of the price.

Are you really comparing a freshly baked 6 inch sub which contains a chicken breast , cheese with fresh tomato , lettuce , carrot , peppers, jalapenos , onions , olives , cucumber and any sauce that you like with a stale old sandwich from 7/11 where you get a small slice of cheese or ham which doesnt even spread to the whole sandwich, so half the time, you are eating just the thinly sliced bread ..........but I suppose that at least you save yourself 50 Baht

He could save even more by going to Pong Noi main bakery in the evening and buying the 1-2 day old tuna sandwiches with sugar mayo for about 12 Baht each.