Subway gone!

jobin

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read where Subway now has the most outlets of any fast food chain in America.

World wide it is McDonalds.

I guess Americans have not been able to share the expertise found on Thai Visa.

Because in the world's eyes Americans are the most discerning consumers of food? No, in the world's eyes Americans are the least discerning consumers of food which is why almost all fast food chains originate there. It's also why (along with the UK and Australia) America leads the world in obesity too.

I think you've got that wrong. Americans are generally the most inventive and takes products to market in order to 'cash in'...... I think that's why most countries try to copy what America has.....

Miami's got some of the best I've had in the US. Been to NYC plenty of times, never had anything there worth writing home about.

I really don't think it has much to do with what city but more to do what restaurant you visited.

BTW, I've had some great pizza in NYC as well as some disgusting chit....

Miami's got some of the best I've had in the US. Been to NYC plenty of times, never had anything there worth writing home about.

My mom learned to cook in Miami, her Southern and Italian are A+. When we moved to DC; she wouldn't by the fish for decades because it seemed disgusting compared to the day-caught stuff she was used to. There is a big NY influence down there, but now a huge Caribbean and South American influence, too. Their agriculture is comparable to California's, but not the scale.

Here is a B movie filmed in the Everglades:

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

It's too hard to get quality produce and fresh supplies to NYC to have any really good options for eating out there.

I agree. The chefs are there; but not the freshest ingredients. Very expensive restaurants will use frozen lobster tail, for example.

WHAT?!?

Some of the most ill informed posts I've ever seen on TV, and that's saying a lot!!!

Firstly NYC is on the sea not far from Georges Bank where the best lobsters in the world come from.

Secondly it's right next to the fertile Hudson Valley.

Third those funny flying contraptions they call airplanes.

Ever been to Union Square's Greenmarket?

Gone to the Grand Central Station's Oyster Bar for their wonderful world famous selection of frozen oysters (NOT!) ?

Shopped at the The Lobster Place which sells over 1,000,000 pounds of LIVE lobsters a year to the cities hotels and restaurants?

Checked out Chelsea Market? (which is even the home of the Food Network - I know it's that impressive of a fact but still)

Your telling me Jean-Georges, Per Se, Masa, Le Bernardin or Eleven Madison Park don't use the freshest ingredients?

This would also be a reply to Rob13's "Been to NYC plenty of times, never had anything there worth writing home about."

Backed up by dingdongrb saying "what restaurant you visited."

And finally KKK saying "the chefs are there; but not the freshest ingredients" kind of explains your comments as it shows you don't really understand what a Chef does or even is.

The first thing a schooled Chef learns is purchasing and a kitchen employee after they get dish washing down is receiving.

I've always told my kitchen staff to "Take what God makes and don't F#@% it up!

Back to Subway the lot of you!!!!!

It's too hard to get quality produce and fresh supplies to NYC to have any really good options for eating out there.

Rob anytime that you discuss food you put both feet in your mouth, better stick to other topics.

Some Jerseyites told me the Italian in SF is better than NYC. Wolfgang Puck, whose Vegas restaurant sucks, lives in LA because he says there is no place on the planet with as many different fresh ingredients. There are probably 100 food items grown in California of more quantity than the UK or any other European country. Add 5 billion Kg of fresh produce coming into the States from Mexico at just the Arizona port. Does the UK even grow 5 billion Kg of produce, total? probably not.

Quantity over quality is better?

I just read where Subway now has the most outlets of any fast food chain in America.

Because in the world's eyes Americans are the most discerning consumers of food? No, in the world's eyes Americans are the least discerning consumers of food which is why almost all fast food chains originate there. It's also why (along with the UK and Australia) America leads the world in obesity too.

I think you've got that wrong. Americans are generally the most inventive and takes products to market in order to 'cash in'...... I think that's why most countries try to copy what America has.....

Lol. Nobody tries to copy American food - as much as anything else because there's nothing to copy; it's just a mish-mash of other cultures' food and usually done badly. I like America and my visits to the US have always been pleasant and enjoyable but as a nation your food is worse than 1970s British food in the main. You just add more food colouring and sugar than we used to do.

Lol. Nobody tries to copy American food - as much as anything else because there's nothing to copy; it's just a mish-mash of other cultures' food and usually done badly. I like America and my visits to the US have always been pleasant and enjoyable but as a nation your food is worse than 1970s British food in the main. You just add more food colouring and sugar than we used to do.

I really wasn't just specifically referring to food but nonetheless there are a number of food items that have originated in the USA, even with just being a country that is a few hundred years old.

Georges Bank fish stocks have dwindled in the past 20 years. Over fished and not what it used to be, leads to high prices. NYC isn't a good place to be in the restaurant business. You got way too much overhead from the get go.

Georges Bank fish stocks have dwindled in the past 20 years. Over fished and not what it used to be, leads to high prices. NYC isn't a good place to be in the restaurant business. You got way too much overhead from the get go.

Yes it'a a terrible place to open a dining establishment, no restaurateur has been successful there! tongue.png

(only over 20,000 restaurant in NYC and new ones opening everyday so obviously only a few ((tens of thousands)) professionals don't agree with you.)

TheSiemReaper " Nobody tries to copy American food - as much as anything else because there's nothing to copy" -

Obviously or we would've seen posts about burgers places in Chiang Mai here on TV! rolleyes.gif

Some Jerseyites told me the Italian in SF is better than NYC. Wolfgang Puck, whose Vegas restaurant sucks, lives in LA because he says there is no place on the planet with as many different fresh ingredients. There are probably 100 food items grown in California of more quantity than the UK or any other European country. Add 5 billion Kg of fresh produce coming into the States from Mexico at just the Arizona port. Does the UK even grow 5 billion Kg of produce, total? probably not.

growing stuff in a suitable climate is. Up to four crops per year vs. maybe 1. Same goes for New York.....very seasonal, if at all.

Artichokes, Asparagus, Lemons, Limes, Avacadoes, Garlic in NY or UK....Not.

California does 10x what New York does in agriculture....http://www.stuffaboutstates.com/agriculture/

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

growing stuff in a suitable climate is. Up to four crops per year vs. maybe 1. Same goes for New York.....very seasonal, if at all.

Artichokes, Asparagus, Lemons, Limes, Avacadoes, Garlic in NY or UK....Not.

Yes it's great for a Chef to have a restaurant where these is wonderful local product.

But this is a bit of a silly discussion as in this modern day most everything is available everywhere and if your willing to pay for it everything is (and top end restaurants would and do).

I grew up in Boston and in the 60's and 70's, which is not know for it's amazing farms especially back then, and we had fresh Asparagus, Lemons, Limes, Avacadoes, Garlic.

Obviously more seasonally back then. To be fair perhaps avacadoes not so readily as today and I did leave off artichokes as I don't recall my British mother preparing them since she probably wouldn't of known how if they were available. But anyways I assume they are today.

Now if your talking off the tree fresh, such as within an hour or two of serving then most places in LA don't either but many restaurants all over the country do have their own gardens (yes we all know NY has winter).

But if the King of Frozen Pizza lives in LA because of the fresh ingredients then I guess that proves it's the only place we should ever dine out.

It's simple logistics more than anything else. Money can get you about anything, but when you are 100s if not, 1000s of miles from the source; it's not the same. You know those big pillow bags of ReadyPak Salad Mix? That's because they are a week+ old, by the time you get them. They start out thin enough to fit into a manila folder, and as they decay the gas expands and you get that larger pillow, most mistakenly think that is good, and in fact it is breathable plastic. 1 million pounds of lobster? per year? Not even 2 ounces for ever resident. I'll take my 11 billion pounds of Mexican (mostly Winter) produce...that would be 11,000 to one, before we even start counting California. NY is just too removed from good climate, and agriculture.

Yes it'a a terrible place to open a dining establishment, no restaurateur has been successful there! tongue.png

(only over 20,000 restaurant in NYC and new ones opening everyday so obviously only a few ((tens of thousands)) professionals don't agree with you.)

TheSiemReaper " Nobody tries to copy American food - as much as anything else because there's nothing to copy" -

Obviously or we would've seen posts about burgers places in Chiang Mai here on TV! rolleyes.gif

Of all those new restaurants opening everyday how many of them make it through the first year? Would you open a new restaurant there? Profit margin's gotta be pretty slim there. Which begs the question if you're in it for the money why go to NYC?

Of all those new restaurants opening everyday how many of them make it through the first year? Would you open a new restaurant there? Profit margin's gotta be pretty slim there. Which begs the question if you're in it for the money why go to NYC?

It would be a dream of mine just like many other Chefs.

Personally I decided not to take the leap as I'm not a big city kind of guy.

But the success rate of a restaurant making past the first year anywhere is not great.

Yes the profits margins are a big reason and as you said the overhead is steep.

NYC rents are outrageous, my cousin is the Commercial Real Estate Agent for Eric Ripert (so Le Bernadin pops up again, yeah I love the place)

and I've scouted prime Manhattan locations with Daniel Boule's sous chef (Restaurant Daniel).

BUT BUT BUT you totally don't get it!

Ask a business manager if a restaurant is a good investment and if will sound like they are watching a Seinfeld episode (loud laughter with a New York accent)

And if your set on being in the food service business and your only motivation is financial gain then go buy a McDonalds franchise.

A Chef is an artist who is so passionate about their profession that they slaved in kitchens for years at lowly wages or even for free, to learn their craft.

Of course we need to make a living, and are happy to do very well if we can.

I have never met a Chef who said they are in it for the money. They would be laughed out of the kitchen but of course we all know that beforehand and that didn't stop us.

Maybe a successful "Celebrity Chef" might say they endorsed a frying pan for the money but never that they got into the industry with dollar signs in their eyes.

May I inquire Rob13 what line of business you were employed?

It's simple logistics more than anything else. Money can get you about anything, but when you are 100s if not, 1000s of miles from the source; it's not the same. You know those big pillow bags of ReadyPak Salad Mix? That's because they are a week+ old, by the time you get them. They start out thin enough to fit into a manila folder, and as they decay the gas expands and you get that larger pillow, most mistakenly think that is good, and in fact it is breathable plastic. 1 million pounds of lobster? per year? Not even 2 ounces for ever resident. I'll take my 11 billion pounds of Mexican (mostly Winter) produce...that would be 11,000 to one, before we even start counting California. NY is just too removed from good climate, and agriculture.

"1 million pounds of lobster"

"11 billion pounds of Mexican produce"

"that would be 11,000 to one"

HUH????

It apples and oranges smile.png

"NY is just too removed from good climate, (sic) and agriculture."

Then I advise you don't go into farming in NYC and let's pray for the 9 million inhabitants who won't be eating any fruits and veggies this year sad.png

Cooler climate generally produce higher quality food.

Best seafood in the world comes from cold waters, best fruit comes from places that have a proper winter and best livestock comes from cooler places with real grass rather than desert/scrubland.

Mexico might produce a lot, but it certainly isn't the best quality as far an any western chef/foodie is concerned.

Here's wiki's list of many ag items....top five finishers, by country, for every item, UK finished fifth in Currants....other than that, no where to be seen.

Some items don't necessarily like the heat, but with the cold, many of the items, citrus for example, can't be produced, at all. Without high heat, peepers and melons don't do shiite.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_producing_countries_of_agricultural_commodities

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

Best seafood in the world comes from cold waters, best fruit comes from places that have a proper winter and best livestock comes from cooler places with real grass rather than desert/scrubland.

Mexico might produce a lot, but it certainly isn't the best quality as far an any western chef/foodie is concerned.

and where do you think the chefs in NY get their produce from in the Winter? Friends of mine are produce brokers. They are on the phone with people from Joisey all day....they actually like them, because they are loyal. November through May, and some nice red grapes in June.

http://www.freshfrommexico.com/view.php?pg=3

and where do you think the chefs in NY get their produce from in the Winter? Friends of mine are produce brokers. They are on the phone with people from Joisey all day....they actually like them, because they are loyal. November through May, and some nice red grapes in June.

And I'm sure we can order thru you as you are sure selling this hard

Edited by junglechef

what is wrong with you people subway kfc pizza hut gone

you should be happy

did you ever think what these foods loaded with suger and fats would eventually do to you

dont be lazy get off you fat ass and do some cooking

I can't accept 'junglechef's' notion that a chef is an artist. Sure, he/she may be a talented craftsman but art does not serve money, and that is all a chef can do: serve the buyer.

what is wrong with you people subway kfc pizza hut gone

you should be happy

did you ever think what these foods loaded with suger and fats would eventually do to you

dont be lazy get off you fat ass and do some cooking

Very happy. McShit, Starbucks and Burger King can all fall down a gaping chasm too, for all I care. KKK might have to find a new burger flipping job though. Edited by JaseTheBass

will be waiting on my Scandinavian fruit basket.cheesy.gif Chili Peppers have been growing in Mexico for 7500 years...perhaps some Brits and New Yorkers could go down there and teach them about proper food. BTW, the majority of MCD's growth is international, same with most of those US franchises. Some of them opening up in CNX would be events of historic proportions, thanks to our sophisticated residents from the land of boiled beef and Shepherd's Pie, and other flavorless foods. Taco Bell? No self respecting Mexican-American would touch it with a pole, but they would line up 500 m to eat at one here.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

I can't accept 'junglechef's' notion that a chef is an artist. Sure, he/she may be a talented craftsman but art does not serve money, and that is all a chef can do: serve the buyer.

So Picasso was an artist until he sold his work and then he was just a business man? Or was he never even an artist because he one day might sell a piece?

I understand the commonly referred to the visual arts but that's a pretty narrow definition for creative people.

I guess you don't consider musicians as artists either or is it just one's who make a living at it.

Here's four definitions for an artist:

1. A person who creates art.
  2. A person who makes and creates art as an occupation.
  3. A person who is skilled at some activity.
  4. A person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, et.

There are many other definitions:

• A learned person or Master of Arts
  • One who pursues a practical science, traditionally medicine, astrology, alchemy, chemistry
  • A follower of a pursuit in which skill comes by study or practice
  • A follower of a manual art, such as a mechanic
  • One who makes their craft a fine art
  • One who cultivates one of the fine arts – traditionally the arts presided over by the muses

No where have I ever heard or could find, actually quite to the contrary exarrow-10x10.png . "The term is often used in the entertainment business, especially in a business context"

that art and money are totally separate and can never be combined.

Now if you don't consider someone who earns their living in the culinary arts ..... opps never mind.

Edited by junglechef

Joisey people, loyal...... now that's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one..... biggrin.png