Subway gone!

jobin

So you think they're staying fresh and green naturally?

At cooled temperatures, yes

Subway does use sodium benzoate (a preservative) and food colouring to keep their "veggies" looking fresh. Some describe the veggies as being "embalmed."

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to believe that but there's too much money involved. Subway has something like 40,000 outlets, they'll cut corners every way possible, if throwing some MSG or sodium benzoate or anything else is going to let them keep the veggies a couple days longer they'll do it. The scary thing is in the US if something is proven unsafe it'll be illegal to use. Thailand has alot looser laws so there's no good way to know for sure what they are adding to your food.

Although Sodium Benzoate is legal in the USA!!!!

In the United States, sodium benzoate is designated as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the Food and Drug Administration.[15] The International Programme on Chemical Safety found no adverse effects in humans at doses of 647–825 mg/kg of body weight per day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_benzoate

I had a turkey 6" the other day, think it was something like 149 bht. Seemed like worth maybe 1/2 that. And they have no idea how to make a sandwich, held it like opening a book, piled up all the veg in the middle, poured 5 dashes of black pepper in a pile on top and wrapped it. Total mess and when I hit the pepper I couldn't taste anything afterwards. Don't they even have a manual of how to build a Subway Sub??

I got to love it a quality food critic going to Subway a international fast food franchise to check out there food. I have to agree the price is high That is why I only go for the Monday special.

Can you get back to us with an up-to-date critique on McDonalds, Burger King and KFC?

I had a turkey 6" the other day, think it was something like 149 bht. Seemed like worth maybe 1/2 that. And they have no idea how to make a sandwich, held it like opening a book, piled up all the veg in the middle, poured 5 dashes of black pepper in a pile on top and wrapped it. Total mess and when I hit the pepper I couldn't taste anything afterwards. Don't they even have a manual of how to build a Subway Sub??

Well, next time, DONT ask for pepper .

Or if you want just one dash of pepper, just ask for a little bit of pepper .

Putting the ingredients inside the bread is the general way to make a sandwich, how would you suggest that they make a sandwich if they dont put the ingredients inside the bread ?

Putting the ingredients inside the bread is the general way to make a sandwich, how would you suggest that they make a sandwich if they dont put the ingredients inside the bread ?

Some people like to spread the fixings around on the bread, kinda even it out so it isn't all lumped in the middle. Doubt if you'd understand, people who think subway is high cuisine rarely do.

Some people like to spread the fixings around on the bread, kinda even it out so it isn't all lumped in the middle. Doubt if you'd understand, people who think subway is high cuisine rarely do.

I do not think that Subways is high quality cuisine, although I do think that its higher quality than your 13 Baht cheese sandwich from 7/11 , with a bit of cheese in the middle that wouldnt even give a mouse a proper feeding

I do not think that Subways is high quality cuisine, although I do think that its higher quality than your 13 Baht cheese sandwich from 7/11 , with a bit of cheese in the middle that wouldnt even give a mouse a proper feeding

Really? Oh man I always thought Subway was a Michelin Five Star restaurant.

like worth maybe 1/2 that. And they have no idea how to make a sandwich, held it like opening a book, piled up all the veg in the middle, poured 5 dashes of black pepper in a pile on top and wrapped it. Total mess and when I hit the pepper I couldn't taste anything afterwards. Don't they even have a manual of how to build a Subway Sub??

Really? Oh man I always thought Subway was a Michelin Five Star restaurant.

No, its a sandwich shop (and Michelin stars only go up to three)

IMO, the only reason why some people dislike Subways id because it is an American chain store .

If there was an individual Thai guy selling exactly the same product on Ko Phan Gan , the same people who dislke Subways would be marveling about how good they were .

Well when you stop to think about it the whole thing is funny. People looking for organic foods and complaining about processed foods moving to Thailand.

Iceburg lettuce will keep for 6 weeks in proper refrigeration..that's why the fast food joints use it, because it may have the least nutritional value of all leafy greens (if you could call it that), but has a nice texture. It also looks like they are using Thai tomatoes, which are readily available for cheap, as well as the cucumber and bell pepper.

Great. Gave that place up when they only removed a chemical used in YOGA MATS to puff up the bread and make it rise beyond what it would after public focus and pressure.

So, you used to eat at Subways when they used a chemical to make yoga mates in their bread , and when they stopped using that chemical, you stopped going there ,

Did you miss that chemical ?

Speaking to the owner, she said that Subways just dont appeal to Thais . Uncooked food, salad, is something that Thais dont like .

They should revise their menu to cater to Asians. That's what KFC, McDonalds and Pizza Hut did. Worked out well for them.

Yeah, it's cheap processed meat and cheese, just like the ham and cheese at 7/11. A real sub sandwich has fresh cuts of meat,ham,corned beef,pastrami not processed, I'd pay 200 baht for that, not for a spam sandwich though.

Unless you're getting your pork and beef fresh from the farm and curing, smoking your ham yourself and brining your corn beef at home and making pastami from scratch, , you're eating processed meats.

Great. Gave that place up when they only removed a chemical used in YOGA MATS to puff up the bread and make it rise beyond what it would after public focus and pressure.

And....McDonalds, Wendys, and Burger King all use azodicarbonamide in their bread too. Most supermarket bread has it. It's in 100's food you're eating

It looks like fresh cold cuts but it's all processed just like McD's and everywhere else.Nothing but chemicals and additives.

They look like raw vegetables to me .

Im not sure how a slice of tomato can be "all chemicals and additives"

Are the veggies pesticide free?

Okay let me see how folks vote (at least the Americans who are familiar with these chains).

Which would you prefer:

1) Subway

2) Quiznos

3) Blimpie

4) Schlotzsky's

*Note: I know there's many more chains but these were some of the popular ones around when I was last living in the USA.

BTW, my choice is #4.....

Yeah, it's cheap processed meat and cheese, just like the ham and cheese at 7/11. A real sub sandwich has fresh cuts of meat,ham,corned beef,pastrami not processed, I'd pay 200 baht for that, not for a spam sandwich though.

Ham, corned beef and pastrami are all processed meats.

Some people...

as is spam,chicken mcnuggts and potted meat, really no difference at all is there.

Okay let me see how folks vote (at least the Americans who are familiar with these chains).

Which would you prefer:

1) Subway

2) Quiznos

3) Blimpie

4) Schlotzsky's

*Note: I know there's many more chains but these were some of the popular ones around when I was last living in the USA.

Not familiar with 3 and 4 Number 1 hands down best of the remaining 2.

When Subway first opened it stressed the health aspect. But had to stop since not healthy. Plus healthy doesn't sell to Joe the Plumber (political joke). Think of the disappearances as promoting your health. 5555

as is spam,chicken mcnuggts and potted meat, really no difference at all is there.

Contrary to your statement, they are all processed meats.

Yes,all processed not all of good quality though,Judging from your placing Pastrami and subway chicken in the same class of foods I'm sure your fridge is loaded with spam and vienna sausages.

Try spending a little of your retirement on decent food sometimes, you'll enjoy the difference.

When Subway first opened it stressed the health aspect. But had to stop since not healthy.

I don't think healthy eating was in the scheme of things when they first opened way back in late 60s early 70s. Health and nutrition was not part of their thought until the introduction of Jared in 2000........ Today I'm sure Subway doesn't want to be associated with Jared as he's currently receiving a daily ration of free meatball footlongs.... :-)

Which would you prefer:

1) Subway

2) Quiznos

3) Blimpie

4) Schlotzsky's

A "Write In" vote for Jersey Mike's!!!