Subway gone!

jobin

At Kad Suan Keaw shopping mall, Subway sammies, another great American invention, has closed it's shop and nothing remains, not a crumb. Yet, Dunkin Donuts remains and prospers.

A pity but cut throat competition against the local noodle/rice shop was probably too much to bear. And the sammies weren't sweet nor greasy enough to satisfy the hungry. They verged on health.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The low cost of eating in the food courts at Tops/Kad Suan Keaw far outweighs the need for a gut buster, every time I stop by the place is always overloaded with Hillside and nearby scoffers, cheap charlies maybe or just good taste, dunno.

And for those who either live close to Mee Choke Plaza or are willing to do what it takes to get there, you'll find the Subway there still open. Or at least it was a couple days ago. It's located just to the north of McDonald's.

It looks like fresh cold cuts but it's all processed just like McD's and everywhere else.Nothing but chemicals and additives.

They look like raw vegetables to me .

Im not sure how a slice of tomato can be "all chemicals and additives"

Depending upon which meat you select, Subway sandwiches can be VERY health, particularly if you pass on the dressing. You can get ALL veggie Subway sandwiches, you know. To me, the place always seemed to do a brisk business, and it even had Thai customers. I used to eat lunch there once or twice a week. Oh well, I've been eating salads at from Le Brunch, the restaurant in our condo more often now for lunch and haven't been hanging around Kad Suan Kaew as much.

I don't buy the line that Thai people don't like salads. There's a salad restaurant at the intersection of Sirimanklajarn and Suthep (south side of Suthep) that's open for very limited hours at lunch and dinner time that almost always has people waiting outside -- college students from the CMU medical campus. I keep meaning to stop in sometime to see what the fuss is about.

Speaking to the owner, she said that Subways just dont appeal to Thais . Uncooked food, salad, is something that Thais dont like .

I've never seen people who eat more uncooked leafy vegetables than Thais. The Subways are overpriced - that's the main problem. Second to that is inconsistent quality.

I thought Subway was healthier than McDonald's...until I did some research.

And what did your research show ?

No offence, but I prefer not saying anymore. Google is your friend.

Spend 10 minutes with Google and an IP cloak so you can get to UK media blocked in Thailand and you'll find tabloid reporting that compares the Subway meatball sandwich with a salad from McDonalds.

Somehow the Subway shops in the UK just don't seem to have the array of fresh veggies like they do in the U.S. and here in Thailand. And I always found the quality of the Subway shop in KSK to be consistent.

Yup, overpriced. The Mrs. was disappointed with the value offered when she ordered there once, 10 years ago. That was the last time.

BTW the Nimman branch is still there. That's how the 'Never Again' thing came up after I suggested grabbing a sandwich there. wink.png

I don't blame her though, I feel the same about Haagen Dasz and Starbucks.

All these places persist in charging the same in very up-country locations as they do on their Silom, Bangkok branch where all expenses are way higher. Maybe it makes sense there in the middle of other pricing insanity, but in Chiang Mai... nope, nope, nope. Some tourists fall for it, maybe.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yup, overpriced. The Mrs. was disappointed with the value offered when she ordered there once, 10 years ago. That was the last time.

BTW the Nimman branch is still there. That's how the 'Never Again' thing came up after I suggested grabbing a sandwich there. wink.png

All these places persist in charging the same in very up-country locations as they do on their Silom, Bangkok branch where all expenses are way higher. Maybe it makes sense there in the middle of other pricing insanity, but in Chiang Mai... nope, nope, nope. Some tourists fall for it, maybe.

What expenses are way higher in BKK? Rent, yes but there are far more (potential) customers in BKK. Minimum wage is the same everywhere.

Nationwide operating franchises get their stuff from a central location (probably close to BKK) so the up-country locations have higher logistics costs.

I don't think your assumption is very valid.

Agree. Another overpriced outlet is Prefere Ice Cream, downstairs at the KSK mall, near Tops. In all my years walking through that mall, I have yet to see anyone buy an ice cream there (I believe it's 69 baht per cone). There's also one at the more upscale Festival Mall and even that one never seems to have any customers either. I've never tasted their ice cream, maybe it's great, but the price surely deters a lot of people.

Speaking to the owner, she said that Subways just dont appeal to Thais . Uncooked food, salad, is something that Thais dont like .

I presume you've never been to salad concept. Pretty poor food there but always busy.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I'd guess that it's the fact that Subway's sandwiches aren't very nice but are very expensive for what they are. In a country where sandwiches sell for pennies in 7-11 - you need to add a fair amount of value when you charge an extra 200 Baht for a sandwich. Subway doesn't come close to providing that value.

I'd guess that it's the fact that Subway's sandwiches aren't very nice but are very expensive for what they are. In a country where sandwiches sell for pennies in 7-11 - you need to add a fair amount of value when you charge an extra 200 Baht for a sandwich. Subway doesn't come close to providing that value.

Cheap factory made sandwiches with one small piece of cheese sell for 13 baht , more expensive ones with a little bit more in sell for 26 baht , or you can get a freshly made six inch cheese and toasted Subway with nine different fresh salad options and a variety of different sauces for 69 Baht .

The Subway is much better value

Cheap factory made sandwiches with one small piece of cheese sell for 13 baht , more expensive ones with a little bit more in sell for 26 baht , or you can get a freshly made six inch cheese and toasted Subway with nine different fresh salad options and a variety of different sauces for 69 Baht .

The Subway is much better value

It absolutely isn't. There's nothing "fresh" about defrosted vegetables, tasteless processed cheese and sugar filled sauces.

And a salad sandwich isn't a "sandwich". The 7-11 does a toasted ham, cheese, egg and tomato sauce for 27 Baht. That's a much better deal. Though neither of them beat buying your own bread, butter, cheese, meat, etc. and making your own.

200 baht for real sandwich meats and cheese would be OK, for processed meat flavored filler though you're better off with the ham and cheese at 7/11, same basic product for a fraction of the price. Plus you don't get all the excess bread.

Edited by Rob13

It absolutely isn't. There's nothing "fresh" about defrosted vegetables,

It isnt possible to freeze a tomato and then de frosting it because it would go mushy, so, you must not be telling the truth about Subway freezing their vegertables

200 baht for real sandwich meats and cheese would be OK, for processed meat flavored filler though you're better off with the ham and cheese at 7/11, same basic product for a fraction of the price. Plus you don't get all the excess bread.

69 Baht for a six inch sub , 139 Baht for a 12 inch sub and 200 Baht for a 12 inch sub with a drink, crisps and a biscuit

Subway had a product that at one time was good in price and quality. Unfortunately times have changed and they haven't kept up.

When I use to eat there it was always good. But I haven't visited any Subway for a long time....maybe I'm too happy with Thai food nowadays?

I say again.... they did fill a spot in history.

As for the 7 11 processed crap.... that's what it is at any price.

I thought Subway was healthier than McDonald's...until I did some research.

And what did your research show ?

No offence, but I prefer not saying anymore. Google is your friend.

Pretty well shows what his research showed. 0+0=0

I get the daily special every Monday for 69 baht for the 6 inch one and 138 baht for the foot long. I consider that a decent price. But unless it is the special of the day it is in my opinion overpriced for all of them. I used to eat quite a few of them when I was in Canada as my ex managed one so I would get extra on them. Even at that they were high priced. Even higher than here and that was years and years ago.

I read some of these posters and I wonder if they have ever eaten in them. Maybe they ate in them once or twice and know every thing about them.cheesy.gif As has been pointed out a lot of the vegies cannot be frozen. Why would they think or expect us to think the tomatoes, olives and pickles are frozen. I never get them but I doubt the onions are frozen.

I would also like to mention that the chocolate chip cookies are the best you can find in Chiang Mai. Unless you are really good and making them your self. If that is the case make an extra batch for me.smile.png

10 seconds on google;

At Subway, Customers Really Aren't Eating as "Fresh" As They Think

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/at-subway-customers-really-arent-eating-as-fresh-as-they-think/

What that article says is "The reality is that this is the way most processed food is made these days, whether in the supermarket or restaurant chains. But advertising something as "fresh" carries the implication of it being wholesome and straight from the farm. "

​ Most people are aware that Subways isnt farmhouse fresh , but its hardly a damning article and they only refer to the processed meat , not to the fresh vegetables (Yes I am aware that subways do not have a garden out the back where they grow their own vegetables)

Yeah, it's cheap processed meat and cheese, just like the ham and cheese at 7/11. A real sub sandwich has fresh cuts of meat,ham,corned beef,pastrami not processed, I'd pay 200 baht for that, not for a spam sandwich though.