Why a Canadian man run over by a truck in Thailand is struggling to get treatment

webfact

Why a Canadian man run over by a truck in Thailand is struggling to get treatment

bc.jpg
B.C. man David Connelly is currently in a Thailand hospital, awaiting a blood transfusion. Earlier this month, Connelly was in a motorcycle accident when he suffered critical injuries. But because his blood type is rare in South East Asia, doctors are struggling to treat him. (PROVIDED)

David Connelly's life is in serious jeopardy. The Canadian man was in Thailand when he suffered critical injuries after a motorbike accident, and needs a blood transfusion. But his blood type is so rare in South East Asia that doctors are struggling to treat him.

Now, his family is urging donors in Thailand with Connelly's blood type — A-Rh negative or O-Rh negative — to step forward.

"Rh negative blood is common to 15 per cent of the Caucasian population. But in Thailand, there is only 0.3 per cent with Rh negative blood. And though there are many Caucasians in Southern Thailand, most of them are over 55, and Red Cross Thailand has a stipulation that blood donors be under 55," explains Karen Connelly, David's sister, to As It Happens host Carol Off.

Connolly says this rule excluded the Czech ambassador who offered his blood to help her brother. Furthermore, Red Cross stipulates donors must have been in Thailand for a minimum of six months. Again, when she tracked down some Western missionaries who were a match, they couldn't donate blood because they had only been in Thailand for half that time.

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.3584412/why-a-b-c-man-run-over-by-a-truck-in-thailand-is-struggling-to-get-treatment-1.3584416

-- CBC 2016-05-17

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Red Cross: There is no upper age limit for blood donation as long as you are well with no restrictions or limitations to your activities.

So why does Thailand have an age restriction of 55, especially when someone's life is at stake? This country can be so infuriating with its own bizarre logic.

And as mentioned, how could it possibly matter is you've been here for at least 6 months. Have they got this mixed up with one of their immigration laws?

Is there anyway to get the media involved to perhaps wake somebody up regarding Thailand's disregard of world-wide Red Cross blood donation standards?

Edited by Inn Between

Red cross does not have an age limit

as long as you are healthy to donate.

YET

Thailand exclusion of over 55 year olds excludes myself,

he could have my blood , and i know as a former donor how high

my platelets are,

I am sure Mr C would be happy to have my donation,

more red unnecessary TAPE.

" Furthermore, Red Cross stipulates donors must have been in Thailand for a minimum of six months."

Why?

18 crteria points listed in the Thai red cross

nothing i read has a six month period , maybe i missed it,

According to the Red Cross: There is no upper age limit for blood donation as long as you are well with no restrictions or limitations to your activities.

So why does Thailand have an age restriction of 55, especially when someone's life is at stake? This country can be so infuriating with its own bizarre logic.

And as mentioned, how could it possibly matter is you've been here for at least 6 months. Have they got this mixed up with one of their immigration laws?

Is there anyway to get the media involved to perhaps wake somebody up regarding Thailand's disregard of world-wide Red Cross blood donation standards?

Because they have a stupid fixation with age. Damn ridiculous

" Furthermore, Red Cross stipulates donors must have been in Thailand for a minimum of six months."

Why?

18 crteria points listed in the Thai red cross

nothing i read has a six month period , maybe i missed it,

It can take up to six month to show the HIV virus. When i read this post, I really wanted to stop eating my breakfast.

There are people who want donate blood, but they haven't been in Thailand for six months? Jesus Christ....

I have A-Neg blood, live in Thailand for over 12 years and am a registered blood donor at the Queen Sirikit hospital in Sattahip.

Via some contact I offered to give blood 10 days ago and was informed that he had been transferred to Bangkok where there was enough of this blood.

I'm off on a trip, later today, but back on Friday.

Also think that some issues are lost in translation here, you can't give blood in many western countries for 6 months if you have been in Thailand.

I think this is just a case of poor reporting, below is from the Thai Red Cross page -

"2. Donors must be between the ages of 17-70 years. Those who are 17 years of age and wish to donate, must have permission from parents. A first time donor must be less than 55 years old."

^ +1 some bad info on this thread

The Thailand Red Cross website says nothing about having to be in Thailand for six months. As noted above the age restriction of 55 years is for a first time donor only (no idea as to why that may be). It does state that anyone older must have been giving blood "regularly". Again, I have no idea as to what defines that.

Who comes up with this stuff? It takes all of about 6 seconds to have the facts.

Edited by bluebluewater

Me thinks the Thai Government is living in the past ,( err yeah we know that frank ) thirty plus years back the age limit applied , but with more modern equipment,( one hopes you have that ) that went out with button up boots , any age anytime, there, even got the new slogan for you .........................................coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong

I think this is just a case of poor reporting, below is from the Thai Red Cross page -

2. Donors must be between the ages of 17-70 years. Those who are 17 years of age and wish to donate, must have permission from parents. A first time donor must be less than 55 years

That may well be their published criteria, but in practice that's not what they adhere to. I'm also O- and a couple of years ago I went to the Thai Red Cross Donation Centre to answer a similar plea for blood of my type, like the previous poster I've donated blood for many years in my home country, and I went armed with evidence of the fact. They informed me, very politely, that as I'd not given blood in Thailand before I was 55 I couldn't now do so, the evidence from the UK's National Transfusion Service counted for nothing. I did get the feeling that they were genuinely sorry and frustrated by the rule which meant they couldn't take my, much needed, blood.

On the plus side, I was very impressed by the number of Thai people that were queuing up to donate blood, it's was just a shame that I could donate my blood to the guy who was in desperate need.

The Thai Red Cross states, you cannot be a first time donor at 55 years old.

You can be up 70 years old to donate blood in Thailand..

Unless that has changed?

Edited by D3030

2. Donors must be between the ages of 17-70 years. Those who are 17 years of age and wish to donate, must have permission from parents. A first time donor must be less than 55 years

That may well be their published criteria, but in practice that's not what they adhere to. I'm also O- and a couple of years ago I went to the Thai Red Cross Donation Centre to answer a similar plea for blood of my type, like the previous poster I've donated blood for many years in my home country, and I went armed with evidence of the fact. They informed me, very politely, that as I'd not given blood in Thailand before I was 55 I couldn't now do so, the evidence from the UK's National Transfusion Service counted for nothing. I did get the feeling that they were genuinely sorry and frustrated by the rule which meant they couldn't take my, much needed, blood.

On the plus side, I was very impressed by the number of Thai people that were queuing up to donate blood, it's was just a shame that I could donate my blood to the guy who was in desperate need.

The information on the age restrictions was put out by the guys sister.

So, to donate blood at 55 years old in Thailand..

Your previous blood donation must have been completed in Thailand?

That's messed up..

I think I should donate some blood again, but in Thailand before I reach 55 yrs old..

Edited by D3030

So is it a Thailand Red Cross rule that you must be 55 years of age or younger in order to donate blood ?

Thailand Red Cross should be following Red Cross International rules.

Or is it a Thailand government law ? And the six month rule is just stupid. Take a small tube of blood and run some checks for HIV and Hepatitis etc.... No need to wait half a year. Especially when someone's life is on the line.

I have O rh neg.... 0 - (the Universal Donor), and could have given him my blood if I was still there, but I'm in my 60's.... and I was only there for four months.. So they would tell me "No" ? ?

And yet in Canada.... Blood Services Canada are still happy to receive my blood every two months.. no matter my age as long as I'm in good health for my age.

Buddhists are suppose to show compassion... Such stupid law make it hard to show a lot of compassion. Every country has its stupid laws..... and these ones must be some of the stupidest.

Best wishes for his sister to find someone who fits the bill.... and best wishes for his speedy recovery.

Edited by Catoni

Why not fly in blood from Canada. Must the blood be from Thailand.? If he is Canadian and Canada can send blood they could use it right.

Excellent idea... to fly in blood from Canada. He could have it in just a matter of hours..

Unless they also have rules of not using blood given in other countries..