Twenty-Two Year Old Motorcyclist in Fatal Road Smash

webfact

Twenty-Two Year Old Motorcyclist in Fatal Road Smash
Story by Albert Jack

p.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 10.30pm on May 16 Pattaya Police and Sawangboriboon Foundation Volunteers were called to a road accident on Highway 7 between the 123 & 124 km markers at Nongprue, Banglamung.

A black Honda Wave motor-cycle had smashed into the back of a stationary bronze Toyota Vigo pick up truck and the rider, twenty-two year old Peerapong Pancham from Chacheongsao, was dead at the scene.

The truck’s driver, twenty-six year old Mr Weha Nakoon, explained to the police that he had pulled over to secure a loose rope. He immediately felt a large impact and hurried to the back of his vehicle to find the Honda embedded into his truck and Mr Pancham lying dead on the road.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/224327/twenty-two-year-old-motorcyclist-fatal-road-smash/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-05-17

Shame, another life gone, but how can you not see a parked truck on the side of the road

Burned out headlights, burned out or non-lit rear truck lights, insufficient highway lighting, excessive speed, driver impairment - a number of things here. All just normal things here.

the wave shouldn't have been there and by the looks of it the wave was going with a very high speed.

BTW it also looks that there's nothing wrong with the pick Jo's tail lights.

Edited by joepattaya1961

It could have been the bike with no headlights...They run around here with non....

Just addition to this....When I lived on Phuket Island, I was coming home at 11 pm.

As I got to my turn-off I slowed down and could hear an almighty roar of a bike...

It was dead dark, no road lights etc...It was blacker then hell..

As I could not see the idiot I stopped as I had no idea where it was coming from..

It roared past me at over 100 klm and I still did not see it at 3 meters from me..Here is a dingbat, no lights doing 100..

I was very lucky I stopped due to being aware of the dangers on the road..I have since got rid of my bike...

Edited by tagalong

Shame, another life gone, but how can you not see a parked truck on the side of the road

Burned out headlights, burned out or non-lit rear truck lights, insufficient highway lighting, excessive speed, driver impairment - a number of things here. All just normal things here.

I don't know about you, but I can see street lighting and lights on on the back of the pickup. The time might give a clue as to the cause of the motorcyclist not being able to see a pickup in front of him and judge it was stationary. 10.30pm.

I've had a few close calls with Thais on their bikes with insufficient or no lights and them wearing dark clothing. Either they refuse to replace blown bulbs or they put so much stuff in the front basket that it blocks the headlight. Even worse when they have kids onboard.

we all know they drive their scooters like a bat out of hell.

thousands of young Thai men every hour of every day. everywhere.

it will never change.

the Thai people are too free to give up their "right" to drive any way they want.

it would take a complete revolution on the scale of the communist take over of Vietnam with at least twenty years of re education camps, closure of all highways except to newly tested and licensed drivers, execution of most of the police force, cancelling all current driver licenses and prison camps for traffic violators and the police before Thais will change.

if these changes were announced, the Thais would fight to the death before they would give up the right to kill themselves on the highways.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

ok i feel better now.

little mary sunshine you have it wrong. Speed does not kill ok. It is the sudden stop of an impact against a hard or immovable object that does the killing. All your inner organs and guts cary on at the speed you were traveling, but your body comes to a dead halt. Otherwise racing drivers would be driving dead behind the wheel, in a straight line , traveling at over 300km/h. Hit even a bird at that speed and your angel bound.

...many times, people follow the tail lights ahead of them as a guide. In this case, a bad decision, We have no idea what was going through the motorcyclist's mind just prior to impact. Chances are it was some part of the truck he was following too close and at too high a speed. The truck driver could have been hit by the motorbike if he was in the act of securing his load at rear or side of truck.

Tai drivers are very good, imho. Their danger factor is thus: no margin for error. Safety is an afterthought. Tai drivers count on EVERYTHING going THEIR WAY. This is a disastrous approach.
My own Prescription to improve Tai driving skills: ship them to UK.

Yes---to Britain for a fortnight or 3 of driving.

UK driver's are the best in the world, hands down. Shipping Tai drivers with a series of moving violations to UK is a smart move...hear me out:

1) The driving side of the road is the same.

2) Lorry, motorbike and sedan drivers in UK are exceptionally professional.

3) Road rage suits no one

4) UK drivers let you know if you're being a douchebag driver

5) UK Bobbies are polite, fair and firm

6) UK has some of the world's most miserable weather---yet the best motorbike handlers and motorists in the world.

7) Driving a motor vehicle in Great Britain is an Art Form!

What's not to like?

I entered UK at Newcastle in 1972 and took the M1 on my BMW motorbike to stay in London. Entering rotaries was NOT in my skill set, yet I was pleasantly instructed in their own techniques by savvy UK drivers that recognized I was a newbie.

I would take a break well off the side of a road and had many concerned Brit motorists stop to inquire as to my well-being. This act alone was a shocker. If a Tai driver can be shown a superior approach to motorway manners---it is a win-win for all.

FeedBack?

Bantex et al---I ride bicycles and motorbikes all over the Kingdom. I agree with you---what is with darkened motorbikes?

I stopped in Klaeng once and chatted up the Tai motorbikes riders and I grilled them on their "no lights" approach.

They feel it gives them an element of SAFETY and STEALTH! They remove their running lights---or interrupt their "always on" with a switch!

I was shocked. I employ that 3M Reflective Tape on all sides of my vehicles. My cycles will light up with even the dimmest of light sources. Smart that falangs want to be SEEN.

I called up 3M once to ask for their official name of this reflective tape. It is called "Conspicuity Tape."

What a mouthful! I cut slender ribbons of this 2" wide material and wrap about the base of my helmets, rear fenders, side, etc.

Safety is paramount in a falangs mindset. It just doesn't translate to the derring-do Tai drivers. They believe that if they get killed, they'll reincarnate within a few hours, days or weeks.