improved beef at Classic Burger (moonmuang soi 9)

Awk

Somebody posted the beef at Classic Burger has improved as they now grind their own (rib eye?) beef, and after a few samples, I can indeed confirm it has improved. It's still lean (I like the meat lean, as I have enough fat already, thank you) but not as dry as before. Before I thought the beef was only average, but the new beef is quite good for a burger I think. Certainly far ahead of most other places, especially now that the Aussie Boys food truck seems to have left Chiang Mai.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ribeye? Almost no chance...not even Thai Ribeye. I'm not sure Classic is going to survive the low season....seems to do a very light business. Epicenter of backpacker area. Thai food for 50 thb or burger fries for 170 +/-. If they are really craving a burger, Mcdonald's is much more likely to be their choice, proven by the crowds inside the Thaphae Gate location. High rent, high taxed food, easily duplicable....they come and go like the wind.

I concur.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

did you say that you found a piece of metal in your toast at the burger place that you frequent
No, I was describing to another poster how they can determine if the piece of metal THEY found in supermarkets bread had been baked in or not.

Edited by Nick ZepTepi

Ribeye? Almost no chance...not even Thai Ribeye. I'm not sure Classic is going to survive the low season....seems to do a very light business. Epicenter of backpacker area. Thai food for 50 thb or burger fries for 170 +/-. If they are really craving a burger, Mcdonald's is much more likely to be their choice, proven by the crowds inside the Thaphae Gate location. High rent, high taxed food, easily duplicable....they come and go like the wind.

Yeah, this. ^^^

Burger King is back to their 50% off for fries and onion rings....

Seems like we get a lot of posts about how great Classic Burger is - and then it's empty when you walk past the establishment. Good luck to them but....yeah.

I met the owner a couple of weeks back, he said he'd change to rib eye and a couple of other things based on customer feedback.

I went in today and it was top notch as usual.

They said they are open till 23.00hrs and they're much busier in the evening than day time.

I've now filled up my loyalty card and I'm looking forward to my free meal next time.

I'm not sure how you're going to survive life with such a glass half empty attitude. [emoji16]

"The grumpier you are, the more <deleted> you meet" Banksy.

I'm not sure how you're going to survive life with such a glass half empty attitude. [emoji16]

better than living in fantasyland, or is it fairyland? Perhaps you could do the math for us on how a burger place can sell ground ribeye in Thailand?

I was at Tony Roma's earlier, and a 280 gram ribeye is 1150 THB, with 7 frenchfries or small baked potato, and small salad.

better than living in fantasyland, or is it fairyland? Perhaps you could do the math for us on how a burger place can sell ground ribeye in Thailand?

I was at Tony Roma's earlier, and a 280 gram ribeye is 1150 THB, with 7 frenchfries or small baked potato, and small salad.

Smile and the world smiles with you.

I'm sure you can find ribeye of many different qualities and I'm guessing Tony Roma's uses more expensive and better quality for their steaks than Classic, but the beef at Classic is now quite good imo.

I've tasted enough ribeye at various restaurants here in CM to no longer care much about what the steak is listed as. Except for a few exceptions, it ends up being a pretty poor steak anyway. "ok" at best.

In any case, there are stranger things in the world. I am for instance amazed at how ooh-kah-ju (or how you spell it. The salad restaurant that opened a branch in Nim City

a year or so ago) can service me a tuna steak with salad, pasta, and some sort of inedible mashed potatoes for what to me looks like the same price, or less, of what I have to pay for a similarly sized tuna steak alone at Makro. Admittedly, last time the tuna was a bit on the smaller side in the restaurant, but hopefully that was just due to the waiter being jealous of my good looks, or something like that.

Anyhow, the point is that the beef at Classic Burger has improved a few notches and now more closely matches the rest of the burger, which in my opinion always was excellent.

Classic is definitely improving. The burger is alot better then before. Every things good, the bun to burger ratio is off though. Too much bread for the size of the patty. Hopefully he'll work that out. It's a good place to get some take out.

He's new to the restaurant business and seems to be figuring things out. There's been steady improvement since first time I went there. Complete opposite from fat Elvis, don't see how that guy's going to make it, last time I was there the service was terrible, and i didn't finish my meal. Just paid and left. He must he's counting on drunk backpackers from Zoe to carry him.

The staff at Classic Burger are his best asset .Really friendly .His pricing is too high though I.M.O.

Yes, he's got the service side of the business down. It's big turn off to walk into a place and have to deal a staff that acts like you just interrupted their nap time.

I rode by 1 minute ago and there wasn't one (1) person there. not one. this is dinner time

Good to see you're still keeping count of the customers down there. You have a new nick,did your old none get banned?

so everybody who praised the quality and taste of classics burgers in the past not admits that it was rubbish compared to the new improved burger of today.

Naah, you got it all wrong again. I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average. Now the beef is better than average, I'd even say it's quite good as far as burger beef goes, and the rest of the burger is great, as before.

Great burger beef? Aussie Boys was pretty damn good, but last I looked at their fb page, they seemed to have relocated to Bangkok. The rest of the Aussie Boys burger was pretty meeh imo though, and the bun was horribly sweet, putting me off from eating there more than only now and then.

Both Classic and Aussie boys have very nice and friendly staff though, which is always nice. I think Aussie Boys and Classic are the only two places in Thailand that compensated me much more than I would ever have expected for a minor mistake (Aussie Boys) or unexpected delay (Classic). In fact, I think they might be the only two places in Thailand that have compensated me whatsoever, so agree with the other poster, the Classic Burger guy has choosen his staff well.

Neither Aussie Boys nor Classic Burger can hold a candle to the "mango burger" the short-lived White Plate cafe served though. If ever there was a prime example of why great quality food at a decent price is not enough to make a restaurant survive, White Plate was it.

Edited by Awk

so everybody who praised the quality and taste of classics burgers in the past not admits that it was rubbish compared to the new improved burger of today.

Naah, you got it all wrong again. I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average. Now the beef is better than average, I'd even say it's quite good as far as burger beef goes, and the rest of the burger is great, as before.

Great burger beef? Aussie Boys was pretty damn good, but last I looked at their fb page, they seemed to have relocated to Bangkok. The rest of the Aussie Boys burger was pretty meeh imo though, and the bun was horribly sweet, putting me off from eating there more than only now and then.

Both Classic and Aussie boys have very nice and friendly staff though, which is always nice. I think Aussie Boys and Classic are the only two places in Thailand that compensated me much more than I would ever have expected for a minor mistake (Aussie Boys) or unexpected delay (Classic). In fact, I think they might be the only two places in Thailand that have compensated me whatsoever, so agree with the other poster, the Classic Burger guy has choosen his staff well.

I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average

Neither Aussie Boys nor Classic Burger can hold a candle to the "mango burger" the short-lived White Plate cafe served though. If ever there was a prime example of why great quality food at a decent price is not enough to make a restaurant survive, White Plate was it.

"I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average" I've quoted you awk

. How could everything about classic be GREAT if the beef was only average. The beef is the burger, not the pickle not the salt JUST the beef.

It's clear that you and one or two others have a financial interest in classic burgers. Another poster said that he would have loved to have stopped for burger but the lines were too long. Come on that's rubbish. I pass there a number of times a day and it's like a deserted building.

I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average

"I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average" I've quoted you awk

. How could everything about classic be GREAT if the beef was only average. The beef is the burger, not the pickle not the salt JUST the beef.

It's clear that you and one or two others have a financial interest in classic burgers. Another poster said that he would have loved to have stopped for burger but the lines were too long. Come on that's rubbish. I pass there a number of times a day and it's like a deserted building.

Seems you have financial interest to keep customers away. 5 posts and they're all directed at bashing Classic Burgers.

He may be adding pork to it for flavor, like some of the others....

Its minced meat ,maybe a bit of Kangaroo also for all anyone knows lol .

Nothing wrong with a bit of roo - it's beautiful meat when cooked properly, but even in Aus it's very expensive. More likely buffalo - when I get minced beef from the market I ask for half beef half buffalo - nothing to do with money, they charge the same price for both. Again, if cooked correctly it's very nice. With mince correct cooking isn't so important, but it's very lean so needs some beef with a good bit of fat on it or it will be too dry (and not as tasty).

The general guidance from top chefs is that using rib-eye in burgers is an utter waste of money. Grinding beef to make a burger makes even the toughest of cuts tender and thus it's nearly universally recognized that soft (and expensive) cuts like rib-eye aren't worth it. It's better to choose tougher cuts which have a strong "beefy" taste - such as chuck, brisket or short ribs. So, if Classic Burger is using rib-eye - they probably ought to rethink their strategy as it's a poor economic choice and a poor culinary choice too.

The general guidance from top chefs is that using rib-eye in burgers is an utter waste of money. Grinding beef to make a burger makes even the toughest of cuts tender and thus it's nearly universally recognized that soft (and expensive) cuts like rib-eye aren't worth it. It's better to choose tougher cuts which have a strong "beefy" taste - such as chuck, brisket or short ribs. So, if Classic Burger is using rib-eye - they probably ought to rethink their strategy as it's a poor economic choice and a poor culinary choice too.

You are 100% correct, following advice from Heston Blumenthal--he use Chuck just as you advised

The use of top cuts of beef does serve one purpose, to sound fancy.

And to those who actually understand, to sound like whomever is writing the menu doesn't also understand.

My experience was they brought me a cheese burger when I wrote down a hamburger and read to them my order twice.

When I showed them they took it back, scrapped off most of the cheese and returned my burger which was cold by then.

As they kept say "NO CHARGE NO CHARGE" I figured like the poster above:

(I think Aussie Boys and Classic are the only two places in Thailand that compensated me much more than I would ever have expected for a minor mistake (Aussie Boys) or unexpected delay (Classic). In fact, I think they might be the only two places in Thailand that have compensated me whatsoever, so agree with the other poster, the Classic Burger guy has choosen his staff well.)

That it was on the house, as it would be in the West if they didn't bother to make a new one.

Well the fuss they were making was for 10 bht off for the cheese, the cheese I didn't order, didn't eat and in the end didn't even get!

I was at Club Cafe one time (and I kind of like the place), so they insist on pouring your beer for you...and they poured it in a glass with a 2 inch crack. I pointed it out, and their solution was to just take it away and dump it, case closed. I asserted myself just a little, but not confrontational, and got them to give me a glass of draft, which in Tiger's case is pretty good. The word so many of them need to learn isn't "discipline;" it is "meticulous." Most westerners are going to notice stuff like not thoroughly cleaned glasses, and restrooms, wilted lettuce, cold hot food, and warm cold food. It's troubling to see their lack of initiative and willingness to learn from the farang. One would think they would ask themselves "why do these people make 10 times more money than we do, for often putting in a shorter day?" I've learned a lot from them. Maybe they've just encountered too many of our older members and/or dirty backpackers.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy