Is anyone doing multiple short term rentals on Airbnb full-time?

Just look on Airbnb. There are already a number of Thais and foreigners doing this around Bangkok.

Follow the model rather than reinventing the wheel.

If you are American, use a Thai as a proxy because Airbnb will report your earnings to the IRS.

It is doable, but you need to be active and take care of many small room details beyond marketing.

Check the condo lease before you embark on this, many have a no-sub let clause. You may also find the building rules prohibit this. In my condo building just before Songkran the building management wrote to all reminding them that short-term lets via the likes of Airbnb were not allowed.

According to a flyer in my condo building, daily rentals are not only forbidden by our condo bylaws but also illegal in Thailand according to Hotel act such-and-such, punishable by fine of X baht and up to a year in prison.

Of course, Uber is technically illegal as well and I use it every day.

Still, as a foreigner, I would not want to be on the wrong side of the law with something as easily proven as an AirBnB rental.

Personally I would not want to live in a condo with many short-term rentals. It seemed like it was on the increase in my building but then I believe they clamped down on it, and I'm glad they did.

My experience and that of friends shows that airbnb seems to attract Cheap Charly tightarses, drug and disco party groups, as well as notorious complainers. I'd advise you to use booking.com or any other high end agent.

I am back in Pats from BKK now on another short term at The Base from Airbnb.

I think the OP's question was about renting long time, then renting out on a sub lease on AIrbnb.

I will tell you it is being done here. Because many of the owners that are buying here are Chinese living in China.

I know for a fact the place I am in now ($50 a night) was listed for 24,000 b per month for a one year lease just last week. Now, it is off the market. The owner is Chinese.

Now it is only for short time rental and I have good info, the lady who rented it to me (Thai), rented it herself on a one year.

It is a nice place high floor with a view. So, I figure she will double her money if she can keep it rented. Even if she rents it 15 days a month, she will be a little ahead.

I personally don't like the trick of this. But you can get away with it here I guess.

I was an Airbnb host in Japan and found it to be great.

I "rented" an extra bedroom in my apartment.

Hard to make money with Airbnb because you need to be cheaper than hotels.

But a great way to meet people and lessen your monthly spend.

90% or more of the people I had were great to good.

BUT, I understand through friends here that the govt. is more and more looking into this kind of thing, so one needs to be careful.

I know a Thai landlord who got a call from the govt. because one of the houses she rents had a friend coming to spend time with the actual tenant. NO money transaction, just the govt checking up on things.

So I think it is time to be careful, especially if the law says short term rentals are illegal except for hotels, or other registered companies.

My experience and that of friends shows that airbnb seems to attract Cheap Charly tightarses, drug and disco party groups, as well as notorious complainers. I'd advise you to use booking.com or any other high end agent.

My experience has been the exact opposite of that.

What you do if you rent them and no one is interested in renting from you? Unless you rent it out real cheap. At the moment there are not so many European tourist and all the Chinease are coming as a part of full tour that means flight, hotel and breakfast already decided.

What you do if you rent them and no one is interested in renting from you? Unless you rent it out real cheap. At the moment there are not so many European tourist and all the Chinease are coming as a part of full tour that means flight, hotel and breakfast already decided.

You are right. No restaurant or breakfast here.

There is the full kitchen of course.

I have to admit The Base seems to be a hot spot. Many people coming in here.

Also, I don't remember Chinese investing in Pattaya much before.

Have they?

Because there are several who have bought up to 4 Condos here at The Base. In fact most of the people I am seeing coming in and out of this place are Chinese.

Now one thing about them, and I learned this from Southern California, is that they seem to like nice housing. Mostly paying cash which they must have done here.

So, if this place is marketed toward the Chinese who are not on tours, I think the rents for short term could be pretty high.

Don't landlords, hotels, etc need to report tenants/guests to immigration? After the first few reports won't it be fairly easy for them to tell you are running a business which has it's own requirements that you may or my not qualify for? I am all for letting your money work for you I just wouldn't risk it personally but with risk often comes reward. Keep investigating and be careful. Good luck.

Don't landlords, hotels, etc need to report tenants/guests to immigration? After the first few reports won't it be fairly easy for them to tell you are running a business which has it's own requirements that you may or my not qualify for? I am all for letting your money work for you I just wouldn't risk it personally but with risk often comes reward. Keep investigating and be careful. Good luck.

Yes I think you are right about the reporting.

But in my case in Pattaya now; the lady met me here in the lobby with no contact at the Juristic office.

So I assume there is no record with them that I am here for one week.

Also, I doubt she reported my stay to immigration.

If you are renting for less than a month, you're breaking Thai law and likely your condo's laws. If you don't report your renter's information to Immigration, you are breaking the law. Ditto the income and taxes on it. If you do report, you're more likely to come to the attention of Immigration if you have multiple units. If you have multiple units, you're more likely to be seen to be running a business, which means you need to have a work permit--to run a hotel business in a condominium, which is illegal. With one or two condos, you can probably slip under the radar. With multiple units, you're more likely to come to the attention of someone. When there's a crackdown, they will likely come to you first. And, if someone is upset about the short term rentals, they will likely report you rather than the guy with just one unit.

Thanks for all the replies people.

I do not own the condos. I am planning to rent the condos in Bangkok to list on Airbnb for short term stay.

I do know that Airbnb and short term stay are a grey area and that it is not 100% legal.

Does anyone knows someone who has been evicted from his condo or fined for doing airbnb?

I do not own the condos. I am planning to rent the condos in Bangkok to list on Airbnb for short term stay.

I do know that Airbnb and short term stay are a grey area and that it is not 100% legal.

Does anyone knows someone who has been evicted from his condo or fined for doing airbnb?

I have never heard of it. My lease in BKK is about 1 page with nothing about me subleasing it out.

I really doubt anyone would do much. Unless, you start getting complaints from neighbors or they are confronted by management for some reason.

It is not my thing, but I do think you could make a decent profit.

I found airbnb to be a pain in the arse. I use Booking .com. Good luck

I found airbnb to be a pain in the arse. I use Booking .com. Good luck

Booking. com is great.

I guess the biggest pain for Airbnb is that they require ID to book. A copy of a passport or some photo ID as part of your profile online to become a member.

But I think they provide more options of Condos, apartments, and homes, rather then mostly hotels. Especially in Bangkok.

I think it can provide more opportunities for several people or families.

I have not seen The Base on Booking.com. But, I have seen Centric, View Talay's, and a few others on it.

Edited by bkk6060