Local Credit Card Theft

FolkGuitar

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is only now changing to chip and pin. See the ATM chip and pin threads.

Chip and pin readers will normally read all standard MC/Visa chip and pin credit/Debit cards but few if any standard swipe readers will read chip and pin correctly. Also Amex are a rule unto them selves as are Bangkok Bank Cards.

Depending on the reader the operator gets a very limited message when a card is declined. This will either be a very short message - 'card declined', PIN Locked, Wrong PIN, 'refer to bank', 'refer to issuer' etc; or it will give a 4 digit code which can be looked up and translated via EMV decline code list (it runs to many pages and makes little sense even to the banks/bankers!). Most operators read the refer to bank message as 'no funds'.

I think staff giving unsatisfactory responses to customers regarding card declines is not really their fault, more a training and management problem.

I saw the message on the card reader when my card was declined in Sizzlers, or the first half of it at least, and it said I did not have enough money so in that case the staff were not interpreting the message wrongly, they were just telling me what it said. It was, however, wrong. I had plenty of credit, it was my PIN that was the issue.

Again, how many times do I have to tell everyone, the card is a CREDIT card and Truevisions was clearly told this and not to use it as a debit card.

With CREDIT cards no PIN number is needed. The problem is that the "manager" doesn't have the intellectual curiosity to try to figure out the nature of the problem. I call that idiocy. I called my credit union and got the card unlocked and today I'm going back to the store and find the one gal working there who knows how to run it correctly. She won't admit it but I think she's the only one who has figured out how to operate their system properly and the "manager" has trained everyone else in the office incorrectly.

Calling someone racist is a serious allegation. There are endless examples of racism on ThaiVisa that never get challenged. However, calling a failure in customer service idiocy is simply not an act of racism. So, chill out chaps. You can disagree with the use of the word "idiot" (though, in fairness, who hasn't brandished that word when confronted with flawed customer service both here and back home and everywhere else in the world?) but calling Nancy a racist is out of order.

Again, how many times do I have to tell everyone, the card is a CREDIT card and Truevisions was clearly told this and not to use it as a debit card.

With CREDIT cards no PIN number is needed. The problem is that the "manager" doesn't have the intellectual curiosity to try to figure out the nature of the problem. I call that idiocy. I called my credit union and got the card unlocked and today I'm going back to the store and find the one gal working there who knows how to run it correctly. She won't admit it but I think she's the only one who has figured out how to operate their system properly and the "manager" has trained everyone else in the office incorrectly.

A PIN number IS required for my credit card, and many others. If your claim that they are treating it as a debit card is based purely on the fact they are requesting a PIN, you don't know what you're talking about.

NancyL,

The more posts I see you make all over ThaiVisa regarding the use of plastic, the more I am convinced you do not understand how they work.

I don't expect you to believe my word.

4. Will I still have to sign or enter a PIN for my card transaction?

Yes and no. You will have to do one of those verification methods, but it depends on the verification method tied to your EMV card, not if your card is debit or credit.

You treat every "correction" to any of your misinformation as an attack on you. Most of the time people are just trying to give people correct information.

Edited by hml367

Yes and no. You will have to do one of those verification methods,

With all due respect, this is not correct. I have a major bank issued VISA card that 'asks' for a PIN number, but if the ENTER button is pressed without it, the transaction still goes through. No signature required either. Needless to say, I don't use this card very often...

I think there's a major disconnect between Americans and Europeans here. While you might expect American banking to be ultra-modern; it's really trapped somewhere in the dark ages and even the use of cheques/checks is incredibly common still.

European banks are much more advanced. Chip and PIN is common on all card types and is often mandatory. Nobody writes checks any more (many countries have scrapped them entirely). Many of our countries are on their way to a cashless society (if they're not already there) - something that the US is a hundred million miles away from at this moment in time.

So in essence both sides of this debate are right and they're both wrong at the same time.

Yes and no. You will have to do one of those verification methods,

With all due respect, this is not correct. I have a major bank issued VISA card that 'asks' for a PIN number, but if the ENTER button is pressed without it, the transaction still goes through. No signature required either. Needless to say, I don't use this card very often...

My point is that a PIN may or may not be required. Just as someone may have gotten through with an EMV card at TrueVisions and NancyL could not (I don't know if anyone did or not) the verification has to do with what is tied to that card... ... just like you demonstrated with this comment.

Just because you "have a major bank issued VISA card that 'asks' for a PIN number, but if the ENTER button is pressed without it, the transaction still goes through. No signature required either.", does not mean it will work the same way for another person - it may or it may not.

In addition, the area of the world, the equipment to merchant is usind, and many other variables are involved.

Card security is constantly evolving and the security measures are not made public for easy knowledge in order to help prevent fraud.

Edited by hml367

yawn. US bank..no annual fee, chip protected, 12 ways to set notifications of use, locations, etc..gave me 35.36 to the USD this week, and if I spend 750 USD in the first three months I get enough miles for a one way ticket from DC to BKK....others prefer to do things the hard way.

Is the name of that bank a secret? Or do you wish to share with others?

Check with American Airlines...and to be more clear, after you spent 750, you would geta bonus of 30,000, and 32,500 are needed for offpeak North America- Asia, The first time I looked, They had plenty of seats from IAD to LAX to HK, on Cathay Pacific (suppose to be real nice), but I didn't see any specifically for BKK or CNX...but I am not real experienced with AA, and not real familiar with their partners and routes, which of course are continually changing. They also have some kind of wine club promo, for 40 USD you get 6 bottles of wine and 2000 miles...then you simply cancel,,,,,that would give you enough miles. For me it is well worth it, just to go from Hong Kong, if I have to, even though going through LAX is a long route....But, I would think that the largest airline in the World would have flights from Washington DC to Bangkok. You could also use HCMC as an alternative. I was goiing to go stateside with miles once from Phnom Penh, and they were going to sent me on Ethiopia Air through Africa.

I think there's a major disconnect between Americans and Europeans here. While you might expect American banking to be ultra-modern; it's really trapped somewhere in the dark ages and even the use of cheques/checks is incredibly common still.

European banks are much more advanced. Chip and PIN is common on all card types and is often mandatory. Nobody writes checks any more (many countries have scrapped them entirely). Many of our countries are on their way to a cashless society (if they're not already there) - something that the US is a hundred million miles away from at this moment in time.

So in essence both sides of this debate are right and they're both wrong at the same time.

Maybe that is why the "E" is first in EMV technology???

The US started coming "on board" relatively late in this technology... again emphasizing my point of whether PIN, signature, or nothing at all is required for different transactions.

the fact remains banking in the US is in the stone age compared to banking in Europe

Must be a gut feeling, because it certainly isn't substantiated by any research. That US banks are behind with chip cards is strictly due to economics. When Europe was making the switch, fraud had decreased in the US to where its cost was outweighed by the cost of going chip.

Retail banking in Europe:

European retail banking is in just such a situation. Not much has changed over the past few decades, with banks largely offering the same types of products and services through the same channels. Yes, some new offerings have been launched and some pure online players have emerged, but for most banks, it's business as usual. The problem is, business as usual is no longer an option. - See more at: http://www.atkearney.cz/financial-institutions/ideas-insights/-/asset_publisher/SxO47XYyZBF5/content/european-retail-banking-time-for-a-remake/10192#sthash.sJe228Z7.dpuf

Doesn't sound like retail banking in Europe has surpassed that in the States. And as far as paper checks -- just wrote one to my grandniece for her graduation gift. Not sure how I would have done it otherwise, as I couldn't EFT, as she has no bank account. And just yesterday had a cashier's check drawn here in Thailand -- the only form of payment Honda would take -- other than maybe a knapsack full of notes. So, sorry to hear Europe no longer uses checks. Sigh.

But when it comes to investment banking, Europe is the one in the stone age:

European indecisiveness stands in sharp contrast to America’s large banks, which restructured more quickly. Returns are below pre-crisis levels, but their balance-sheets are stronger and management teams bedded in. European banks are still weighed down by non-core units and dud loans; America’s banks have moved on.

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21674778-europes-dithering-banks-are-losing-ground-their-decisive-american-rivals-banking

If I may ask, JimGant, aren't you the one with some first hand knowledge of plastics in the USA?

I think with just a little research on the internet, one can see just how early secure chips for cards was "invented" and patented in Europe. The years astounded me!

I think with just a little research on the internet, one can see just how early secure chips for cards was "invented" and patented in Europe. The years astounded me!

How nice. Now the US is coming on board in the use of this technology invented in Europe. Kinda a fair trade, since we allow the old world nations to use the Wright Brothers' patented invention.

My problem with Truevisions and the acceptance of the U.S.-isssued chipped credit card has been resolved. I won't go into details, but let's just say the problem is definitely on their end and related to their employee training practices and I'm still curious if anyone else has problems paying their bill at Truevisions KSK with a credit card. I know now to be sure to select just one certain customer service rep there to process my payment each month.

My problem with Truevisions and the acceptance of the U.S.-isssued chipped credit card has been resolved. I won't go into details, but let's just say the problem is definitely on their end and related to their employee training practices and I'm still curious if anyone else has problems paying their bill at Truevisions KSK with a credit card. I know now to be sure to select just one certain customer service rep there to process my payment each month.

Since you keep bringing it up in this thread, NancyL:

I am interested if anyone else had problems with a chipped card also... no one has posted anything yet.

However, I think the more interesting thing would be if anyone with a chipped card issued by a Thai bank has attempted to use a chipped card and what there results are.

EDIT: perhaps you should start your own thread specific to your question and you may get more response. I don't think your situation has anything to do with credit card theft, as you indicated in your original post on this thread about it.

Edited by hml367

Since you keep bringing it up in this thread, NancyL:

I am interested if anyone else had problems with a chipped card also... no one has posted anything yet.

However, I think the more interesting thing would be if anyone with a chipped card issued by a Thai bank has attempted to use a chipped card and what there results are.

EDIT: perhaps you should start your own thread specific to your question and you may get more response. I don't think your situation has anything to do with credit card theft, as you indicated in your original post on this thread about it.

Careful, dude. You're messin' with POTY.

Interesting, I've never had a problem using US credit cards at AIS here in Chiang Mai. This includes many years when they had the office at the corner of Tha Phae Road and Khampang Din Road and also at the new office at Central Festival. I have to admit not doing this since December or so since we usually take care of AIS stuff at Telewiz. Is this a new restriction at AIS?

Also, I've paid for years at AIS with the same U.S. credit card that created problems at Truevisions. First at the old office at Thapae Rd. and most recently at their Maya Mall store. At some point I started to pay six months in advance and I think the last payment was in March or April -- no problem.

I'm not going to start a separate thread about my problem. If someone would like to PM me as to why, esp if you're having a similar problem, please do so.

I can see another thread is not needed. Lots of answers to the same questions here from about 1 year ago. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/834781-truevisions-rejected-us-issued-visa-credit-card-with-security-chip/