100 Year Old Yang Na Trees Destroyed in Storm

webfact

100 Year Old Yang Na Trees Destroyed in Storm
by CityNews

%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%B8%E0%

CityNews – Summer storms hit Chiang Mai again last night, causing electrical outages, damaged homes and large trees falling down on the old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road.

On May 17, several large, ancient Yang Na trees on the old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road were destroyed in the storm. Some falling down, others being destroyed by the storm. Some of these trees are believed to be over 100 years old.

Electricity was down in the area for around five hours, and for smaller amounts of time across the city.

Netizens were sharing images of the fallen trees on social media today, sharing concern that officials are allowing cars to drive along the road beneath the fallen trees.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/100-year-old-yang-na-trees-destroyed-storm/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-05-18

"Some falling down others destroyed by the storm". I think we can put all that down to the storm.Hard to replace and only positive this one didnt fall on top of someone, its neighbouring tree halted its descent.

I have always enjoyed the drive from Lamphun to Chiang Mai through the area where the trees are.

With the yellow ribbon material at their bases. The trees made for slower driving, but very scenic.

I hope that not too many places suffered damage from these trees coming down.

It is one of the places in Thailand that I want to visit again.

Geezer

Looks as though the roots are rotten in that photo. Wonder if they had tarmac over the roots whistling.gif

The roots did not come up with the tree which would suggest rot .Maybe all the tree should be checked for rot along that road .