5 year license and IDP on tourist visa?

I recently was rejected at Mo Chit to renew my driving licence to a 5 year license and IDP because I was on a tourist visa. I use the visa exempt stamp.

Has anyone has any luck doing this, and where did you go, and how did you do it?

I have started a thread on this very same topic.

I was informed yesterday in Pathumthani that it is impossible to get a Thai drivers license while on a tourist visa, but others on here will claim that they have gotten one which I am now believing is bs.

I have started a thread on this very same topic.

I was informed yesterday in Pathumthani that it is impossible to get a Thai drivers license while on a tourist visa, but others on here will claim that they have gotten one which I am now believing is bs.

It would appear that offices are now asking for a work permit or residence cert and non-imm' viss to re-new a license. It may have been possible before on tourist visa butlooking less and less likely now.

As far as I'm aware its been the case for a long time that you can get a "temporary" 1 year licence ( recently extended to 2 year ) on a tourist visa

but to get a 5 year ( full ) licence after holding the temporary licence for a year requires a "long stay visa" no long stay visa they will give you another "temporary" licence.

You can get a 2 year on a tourist visa, must have proof of address, you cannot get a 5 year on a tourist visa, you will be given another 2 year one.

You tell me then which office you can get a two year Thai license from on a tourist visa because I was informed yesterday in person at Pathumthani's issuing office that you cannot obtain a Thai drivers license if you are on a tourist visa.

Was told that they used to issue them but the government has changed the rule.

Question,how would a tourist have a proof of residence when they shouldn't be living in Thailand anyway.

Edited by Rayk

Proof of residence is a bit of a misnomer...really what they want to know is an address where you are residing...can be a hotel,condo whatever

you can get this proof from your local immigration office,your embassy and maybe ( if very lucky ) friendly police station.

Pattaya DLT will ( not heard any reports to the contrary ) issue " temporary" licences to "tourists"

Edited by johng

I got all my licenses from the head office in Mo Chit, Bangkok. I would suggest that the branch office is not aware that visitors have the right to travel in Thailand.

Yes, visitors do have the right to travel in Thailand using an international driving permit or your own license for up to 90 days if from a G7 country. Edited by Rayk

Rayk, as does the constitution clearly state that discrimination based on origin is illegal. Yet we still have government endorsed dual pricing in national parks. The law just like the road rules are works of fiction. What is law and what actually happens are two different things.

PS. It works in your favour for a change. Usually that's not the case.

Edited by Bear0Mack

Rayk, as does the constitution clearly state that discrimination based on origin is illegal. Yet we still have government endorsed dual pricing in national parks. The law just like the road rules are works of fiction. What is law and what actually happens are two different things.

PS. It works in your favour for a change. Usually that's not the case.

Nowhere in the 2014 interim constitution does it state "discrimination based on origin is illegal",but that is not the topic we are discussing. Edited by Rayk

Oh. Ray, I guess your right. I'm reading an old version. That's unfortunate. I commend you for doing such diligent research.

Anyway, congratulations on getting your license renewal. I will give it a try at the office you mentioned and see what kind of luck I have.

Well, in the end I didn't renew it because the whole point of doing it a year early was to get my IDP. But I am 100% confident that she would've renewed it for me there and then if I were satisfied to renew for another 2 years.

I have a visa exempt stamp.

I think most replies have assumed that you had a Tourist Visa. Your OP was confusing. There's a big difference.

Very difficult on Tourist Visa and more so on Visa Exempt.

I am on my third 5-year licence since my initial 1-year and have only ever had Visa Exempt with work taking me out of Thailand at least once a month . I am in a very rural area and have been part of the community for many years. I have many Buddhas on my dashboard. It's always a bit tricky. I have been exceptionally fortunate.

Not easy I'm afraid

Your first reference is just a third party commercial website with incorrect information in it.

The second one is about getting a 5-year license, not a 2-year temporary license.

Edited by Smokin Joe

The Chonburi DLT, that serves the Pattaya area will issue a temporary license if you have a tourist visa.

They had a sign at the entrance that stated that last time I was there.

Edited by Smokin Joe

The Chonburi DLT, that serves the Pattaya area will issue a temporary license if you have a tourist visa.

Do you have to reside in that area in order to obtain a temporary license?

I guess I'll be making a trip

Do you have to reside in that area in order to obtain a temporary license?

I guess I'll be making a trip

Sorry, don't know for sure but I do know a Thai whose residence was in another province got one here.

BTW, the Chonburi DLT does not accept a "Yellow Book" for proof of residence. A residence certificate from immigration or work permit can be used.

That is all about 5 year licences.

Temporary licences can (and will by nearly all offices) be issued to foreigners on tourist entries. For 5 year licence officially extension of stay or non-immigrant visa is required.

I don't understand why tourist are so desperate to get a Thai (temporary) DL.

Tourist are allowed to drive in Thailand with their home country DL in combination with a IDP up to 90 Days.

As the maximum stay of a single entry is 90 days for a tourist (60 day TR60 with 30 day extension) there is no need for a Thai DL.