Hot weather causes egg chicken to lay less eggs

webfact

Hot weather causes egg chicken to lay less eggs

58_egg-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The ongoing hot weather and drought have cut back chicken egg product by 10-15 percent or 4-5 million eggs a day while consumption is picking up, said Mr Mongkol Pipatsatayanuwong, president of the Chicken Egg Producers and Exporters Association, on Thursday.

The unusually hot weather makes egg chicken feel stressed and, hence, lay less eggs even though the chicken are mostly raised in enclosed areas equipped with air conditioners or Evap system, he explained.

With outdoor temperature exceeding 40 C, he said that the cooling system in the enclosed areas does not help much and, on top of that, the cooling system needs to be fed with water all the time and this is simply not possible in drought-stricken areas where water is scarce.

Chicken raisers were forced to buy water to keep the cooling system working and this means additional production costs, Mr Mongkol explained.

He pointed out that the prices of chicken eggs have dropped steadily since last year until recently when prices started to pick up in correspondence with reduction in production.’

The current price of chicken eggs averages 2.57 baht per egg against production cost of 2.82 baht per unit.

Mr Mongkol asked for sympathy from the consumers for chicken egg producers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163965

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-20

Yes, i know everyone. But Thais don't usually tranliterate gor gai to a g, its usually k.

In NYC there used to be a restaurant named kai kai kai kai? in English. In Thai it was written "who sells chicken eggs?" Krai kai kai gai.

Egg chicken. Is that kai kai or kai kai?

I think the choice would be gai kai or kai gai ... or even gài-​dtuua-​miia, which sounds like something an Italian rooster would whisper to one of his hen friends.

I was thinking it would be gai kai . So it is bye bye from me .....or is it bai bai ?

Yes, i know everyone. But Thais don't usually tranliterate gor gai to a g, its usually k.

In NYC there used to be a restaurant named kai kai kai kai? in English. In Thai it was written "who sells chicken eggs?" Krai kai kai gai.

Don't know many Thais who transliterate words into English on a day-to-day basis, but there is a definite difference in the pronunciation, which would be the main reason for transliteration.

In a dictionary "g" is used for pronunciation purposes.

chicken n.
ไก่ gài 
classifiers: ตัว dtuua 
egg n.
ไข่ kài 
classifiers: ฟอง fɔɔng , ใบ bai 
Thai Fried Rice with Chicken Recipe (Khao Phat Gai)

post-145917-0-48749800-1463729766_thumb.

I read it as Prices have to go up.......... even in local Village Markets fruit and Veg have gone up 100 - 200 %

I read it as if the price has to go up even more, because at Big C extra the price of eggs has been increased already +20% over the past few weeks, but that can also have to do with the greediness of the new owner.

Having been in farming since 1960 in many different countries, as a freelance consultant for many of those years and 20 years in Thailand and surrounding areas; IF the farmers with closed house systems for livestock built the houses properly in the first place for the current and future expected climate, built houses suitable for the livestock they intend to house ( one design does not suit all ), install the right systems in the first place, manage the systems properly,etc etc then the livestock will fare better and the farmer not have a reason to complain so often.

Time after time since the 1980's I have seen totally unsuitable designs and impossible demands on the housing built. The biggest was a 500 million gbp ( yes that was the cost ) project in the Middle East built in 1980.

Even at the last International Fair in Bangkok in 2015, housing and equipment manufacturers were still not looking at current and future climate, nor at animal welfare or animal behaviour.

It's time farmers got back to carrying a piece of string and a penknife in their pocket and, stop thinking that a turn of the switch will magically keep everything alive and well. Thinking outside the box, especially in this country, is against the cultural norm unfortunately.

Before anyone decries my comments about "factory farming" please note that I have been a vegetarian / vegan since the 1970's, yes I am still involved in farming, it's what I know, I teach compassion to the farmer which - if applied - is better for the animals concerned and, can make a bigger profit for the farmer. Finally I am not touting for business having retired some time ago.