Korean citizen wanting to extend 90 day VISA on Arrival

I came into Thailand via BKK airport about 2 months ago, and now I am planning to extend my stay for another 3 months. I have a VISA on arrival tourist visa for 90 days. I would like to extend my stay for another three months and then fly back to the States. As I am a Korean citizen, what is the best option for me in terms of extending my stay? I am in Chiang Mai. Is Vientiane my best bet? And am I allowed to simply enter and re-enter the same day or is there something else I should do?

Thank you!

I have never done a same day re-entry into Thailand before and the last time I have been to this country was nearly a year ago.

You can reenter the same day and get another 90 days but it might have to be via an airport. There will be several people on this thread that will tell you that you don't have a visa on arrival but a visa exempt entry. This is true.

Edited by bubba1
  • Like 1

You can reenter the same day and get another 90 days but it might have to be via an airport. There will be several people on this thread that will tell you that you don't have a visa on arrival but a visa exempt entry. This is true.

Thanks so much for helping out! It seems like I can go to Laos and simply re-enter.

You could do a crossing at Chiang Khong to obtain a new 90 day visa exempt entry (it is not a visa on arrival) by entering Laos then turning around and returning to Thailand.

Thank you UBONJOE! You always help me out whenever I ask a question. I have never received a visa exempt entry before, is there anything special I need to prepare? Passport photos? Flight ticket? How much do I have to pay?

Thanks so much for helping out! It seems like I can go to Laos and simply re-enter.

You could do a crossing at Chiang Khong to obtain a new 90 day visa exempt entry (it is not a visa on arrival) by entering Laos then turning around and returning to Thailand.

Thank you UBONJOE! You always help me out whenever I ask a question. I have never received a visa exempt entry before, is there anything special I need to prepare? Passport photos? Flight ticket? How much do I have to pay?

You recieved a visa exempt entry when you arrived !

Nothing is needed other than your passport.

• Like 1

The 90 day entry you have now is a visa exempt entry.

When you enter Laos you will get a 15 day visa exempt entry.

You just need your passport and a arrival card when you re-enter Thailand. There is no fee for it.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone for helping me out! Are thing still strict in Thailand when it comes to these same day visa border runs? I have heard stories of the past where people were denied frequently. How can I be careful and avoid this? Will I be okay as long as I leave after another 3 months and don't come back for another 6-12 months?

Thanks for everyone for helping me out! Are thing still strict in Thailand when it comes to these same day visa border runs? I have heard stories of the past where people were denied frequently. How can I be careful and avoid this? Will I be okay as long as I leave after another 3 months and don't come back for another 6-12 months?

The denial does not happen that often. People that have problems are those doing several of them back to back.

They are stricter for those that qualify for the 90 day entries. Not doing one for few months will help. One way to break the chain of exempt entries is to get a single entry tourist visa,

After the one you will be getting you should not have a problem getting another one if you fly in.

• Like 1

The denial does not happen that often. People that have problems are those doing several of them back to back.

They are stricter for those that qualify for the 90 day entries. Not doing one for few months will help. One way to break the chain of exempt entries is to get a single entry tourist visa,

After the one you will be getting you should not have a problem getting another one if you fly in.

Thank you ubonjoe. One last question is in regards to visa exemption entry extension within Thailand. I saw some posts regarding getting extensions in Chiang Mai, is this true? Or does this not apply to me? Thanks for telling me to do the crossing at Huay Xai. Much closer!

Thank you ubonjoe. One last question is in regards to visa exemption entry extension within Thailand. I saw some posts regarding getting extensions in Chiang Mai, is this true? Or does this not apply to me? Thanks for telling me to do the crossing at Huay Xai. Much closer!

A 90 day visa exempt entry cannot be extended.

• Like 1

A 90 day visa exempt entry cannot be extended.

Roger!

By the way, am I allowed to go to the Mae Sai border for the border run and then back in? or is it better to go to Chiang Khong?

Just to make sure because in my other post some people told me to go to Tachilek. But to get a 90 day visa exemption I must go to Chiang Khong right? Tachilek does not give out 90 day visa exemptions to koreans who come in and out.

Just to make sure because in my other post some people told me to go to Tachilek. But to get a 90 day visa exemption I must go to Chiang Khong right? Tachilek does not give out 90 day visa exemptions to koreans who come in and out.

Mae Sai/ Tachilek does not allow a crossing unless you have a valid Thai visa for re-entry. No visa exempt crossings are allowed. Your only choice is Chiang Khong.

• 2 weeks later...

I am all ready and have everything packed to go early tomorrow morning to Chiang Khong and cross and then come back the same day. I have never done such a same day border run so I want to ask one last question before I depart.

I will go to Chiang Khong and through thai immigration and then cross the friendship bridge via shuttle. I will then go through Laos immigration on the other side (I pay nothing for both Thai and Lao since I am Korean and will receive visa exempt status). My question is...how soon can I just turn around and go back into Thailand? My friend will be waiting for me on the Thai side with his car so I don't want to keep him waiting. can I just go through Laos Immigration and then just turn around and go back in? Anything special I have to do? Thank you!

I don't need passport photos right? I hope ubonjoe can help me out one more time. Or someone who has done a same day border run in this location.

I just got back from my trip to Chiang Khong. I feel as if my duty is to give everyone here a clear warning and a heads up. Disclaimer: I am a Korean citizen who just finished 90 days in Thailand and today I went to Chiang Khong to do a border run in order to receive another 90 days stay in Thailand. Your experiences may vary based on what immigration officer you get.

I had problems getting through the Thai checkpoint. Right off the bat I was questioned about if I was here for a same day border run. I said yes and so they looked intently at my passport as if they were trying to find holes. They didn't find any because it was my first time doing a run like this and I hadn't been in Thailand for over a year from my most recent stay. However, this still was not enough for them and I had to speak with a immigration officer who demanded that I show her a flight ticket out of Thailand. I told her that I didn't have a ticket yet because I truly didn't know if I was leaving in 2 months or the full 3.

Thus, my warning is this: You may need to show proof of a flight ticket if you meet with the wrong immigration officer and want to do same day border run.

It was funny because as I bought a ticket and went around trying to get it printed, I was questioned by many other officers who wanted to help. I told them that the woman officer wanted me to get a flight ticket or else sh wouldn't let me back in. All of them then went into a long tale about how Chiang Khong is getting stricter and how that woman officer is actually more strict that most. Most of the other officers were actually trying to let me go through without a flight ticket but couldn't overstep the demands of the woman officer. It was quite funny but in the end it all worked out.

The best part? I got back into Thailand and the ink wasn't even dry and the officer who let me in didn't even ask about my flight ticket...and he never even knew about the fuss that was made on the departure side. So I asked him if he wanted to me to show him, but instead he just spoke to me in Korean and we had a chat about visiting Korea one day.

If you have questions just ask me!

• Like 1