I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

Where and how do you know that the words of Socrates?
Frow Plato, Xenophon and Aristophanes?
But they wrote different about sokrate, sometimes quite the opposite.
How this can be trusted?gigglem.gif
Do you honestly think that the grasping consumerism of Thai hookers and their half-wit farang apologists is disquisition on beauty?©
Why Not?
or you believe that you are the higher mind of another is not worthy to have their perception of beauty?cheesy.gif
Whatever beauty is you can't buy it ©
can buy anything, and have no interest. Ironic, eh?©
you are very contradictory.. as Plato and Xenophon In the description of Socrates' thoughtsgigglem.gif

1) Let's take Plato as the authority on what Socrates thought. Or not - I'm not that bothered.

2) I am the "higher mind". Trust me, if you're having sex with people for money you probably don't have a working understanding of beauty. Some might, but we're talking about the general characteristics of a group. Or if I'm not the "higher mind" the Plato of The Republic would have thought I was, so I'll accept his view. smile.png

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The notion that money cannot buy one happiness is somewhat quaint given the worlds in which we live.

It's not true, though, is it?

For example, spending 20k upwards on an apartment will probably secure one a view from a balcony. It may not be a view of the hanging gardens of Babylon (python) but it will probably be across beautiful Bangkok or like mine, of the Chao Phrya.

Show me a thousand people who think like that through a twenty year period. Some will be happy with the fallen down little cottage and the rose garden, but the vast majority of the people you describe between the ages of 25 and 45 will move from being balanced to being wholly unbalanced, and their bodies will move from "cute" to "boot". I mean, there are middle class heroin users who've been using the drug moderately for decades, but that's not usually what happens. If you like the balcony you'll find every month that there's something else that you can't do without, and finally - by middle age - you'll be just like every other middle aged person who thought the same as you in their mid-twenties. Where do you think all the fat and appetitive people come from? Every single one of them passed for temperate at some point, but satisfying every childish craving feeds on itself. Nobody every got to 22 stone overnight. It's a minority who halt the process at "a little bit base". Most find one beer to be good, two better and a third...."Why not?!!!"

Look around you.

Where and how do you know that the words of Socrates?
Frow Plato, Xenophon and Aristophanes?
But they wrote different about sokrate, sometimes quite the opposite.
How this can be trusted?gigglem.gif
Do you honestly think that the grasping consumerism of Thai hookers and their half-wit farang apologists is disquisition on beauty?©
Why Not?
or you believe that you are the higher mind of another is not worthy to have their perception of beauty?cheesy.gif
Whatever beauty is you can't buy it ©
can buy anything, and have no interest. Ironic, eh?©
you are very contradictory.. as Plato and Xenophon In the description of Socrates' thoughtsgigglem.gif

1) Let's take Plato as the authority on what Socrates thought. Or not - I'm not that bothered.

2) I am the "higher mind". Trust me, if you're having sex with people for money you probably don't have a working understanding of beauty. Some might, but we're talking about the general characteristics of a group. Or if I'm not the "higher mind" the Plato of The Republic would have thought I was, so I'll accept his view. smile.png

1) wait wait wait.. why not from Xenophon? I can even understant you not trust Aristophanes becouse he sponsored by enemy of Socrates.

But why not Xenophon? Xenophon with Socrates was together in extreme conditions, on the verge of death and life. But as practice shows people in such conditions, a genuinely..rolleyes.gif

2)You had experience " having sex with people for money"?gigglem.gif

and you say " probably" so its not SUREtongue.png

PS

Beauty is a subjective judgment. For for some guys the Black square Malevich - sample the beauty.whistling.gif

The notion that money cannot buy one happiness is somewhat quaint given the worlds in which we live.

It's not true, though, is it?

For example, spending 20k upwards on an apartment will probably secure one a view from a balcony. It may not be a view of the hanging gardens of Babylon (python) but it will probably be across beautiful Bangkok or like mine, of the Chao Phrya.

Show me a thousand people who think like that through a twenty year period.

You can see more than thousand.

If go Golf/ferrary/horse owner/yacht and etc clubs arround world..

Progress comes from the world of people with expensive hobby. almost any exact science originated from a hobby. and studies are expensive.
many technologies have comefrom expensive "hobby"
almost any hobby can cost a large amount of resources. But it can do and not expensive.
"Some will be happy with the fallen down little cottage and the rose garden"- Its not mean they will not be happy to live in a clean neat cottage in the distance from the people, so that people are not disturbed them (and this is most probably on private land in a country where private property is protected well). And of course this does not mean that these people will not be happy to get effective and rapid aid.whistling.gif
But they not have enough resources(money) to afford it. Therefore, they are content with small- "fallen down little cottage and the rose garden" and happy.

my condo is 3000 bahts a month but if a farang ask me to rent it, I will charge 13000 bahts because it has nice Seaview and I know he will not ask a thai for a cheaper condo.

you don't impress me with your hot shower and ac.

I have free ac thank to Sea breeze and I have hot water thanks to the sun.

as for food, I have fresh food on my table everyday. lot of fruits and vegetables.

I use public transport and I fly brand new plane for 750 bahts per trip. I have very good scooter that burn less than 2l/100km.

as I have just received a new visa, this month I will spend around 8000 bahts all included.

Edited by returnofthailand

Progress comes from the world of people with expensive hobby. almost any exact science originated from a hobby. and studies are expensive.
almost any hobby can cost a large amount of resources. But it can do and not expensive.
"Some will be happy with the fallen down little cottage and the rose garden"- Its not mean they will not be happy to live in a clean neat cottage in the distance from the people, so that people are not disturbed them (and this is most probably on private land in a country where private property is protected well). And of course this does not mean that these people will not be happy to get effective and rapid aid.whistling.gif
But they not have enough resources(money) to afford it. Therefore, they are content with small- "fallen down little cottage and the rose garden" and happy.

Christ almighty, that's your ambition, is it? You actually want to be an overweight golf club bore? You aspire to it! Ferrari isn't spent "ferrary", and at the moment I could buy several - that's a lie, just checked the prices and if new I could buy two and have a lot of change - but who gives a f***. It's pathetic. Buying an unusable car - that's all you can imagine? My pal bought the last Porsche 944 S2 that came into the UK back in the 90s. We went Glasgow to London in it. It was the most miserable experience ever. Okay, Etihad mealtimes are worse, but it was right up there. The rumbling tyres, the fact that you couldn't see the corners, the fact that if you ran over a coin you could have told whether it was heads of tails......all ridiculous. Cars like that are unusable. As a mode of transport a Ford Focus is vastly superior. Warren Buffett - with his $50bn dollar fortune - drives hail-damaged $10,000 saloons which his daughter has to buy him because he would just run an old jalopy into the ground. He stays in the same small house in Nebraska that he bought in the sixties. As he says, "I'm warm in the winter and I'm cool in the summer; if I thought I'd be more comfortable somewhere else I would move".

Your other remark about the role of luxuries and general progress is a point Adam Smith explored 250 years ago. People who read books know that kind of thing.

1) wait wait wait.. why not from Xenophon? I can even understant you not trust Aristophanes becouse he sponsored by enemy of Socrates.

But why not Xenophon? Xenophon with Socrates was together in extreme conditions, on the verge of death and life. But as practice shows people in such conditions, a genuinely..rolleyes.gif

2)You had experience " having sex with people for money"?gigglem.gif

and you say " probably" so its not SUREtongue.png

PS

Beauty is a subjective judgment. For for some guys the Black square Malevich - sample the beauty.whistling.gif

Your English isn't up to having this exchange. That's not a criticism - I couldn't have this exchange using anything other than English - but it's a fact nonetheless.

my condo is 3000 bahts a month but if a farang ask me to rent it, I will charge 13000 bahts because it has nice Seaview and I know he will not ask a thai for a cheaper condo.

as for food, I have fresh food on my table everyday. lot of fruits and vegetables.

I use public transport and I fly brand new plane for 750 bahts per trip. I have very good scooter that burn less than 2l/100km.

as I have just received a new visa, this month I will spend around 8000 bahts all included.

8000 baht a month is just about exactly what people pau for their elite cards. You could live a VIPthailife here for 20 years on about $50k USD.

I fly brand new plane for 750 bahts per trip

and of course you fly first class! cheesy.gif

Christ almighty, that's your ambition, is it? You actually want to be an overweight golf club bore? You aspire to it! Ferrari isn't spent "ferrary", and at the moment I could buy several - that's a lie, just checked the prices and if new I could buy two and have a lot of change - but who gives a f***. It's pathetic. Buying an unusable car - that's all you can imagine? My pal bought the last Porsche 944 S2 that came into the UK back in the 90s. We went Glasgow to London in it. It was the most miserable experience ever. Okay, Etihad mealtimes are worse, but it was right up there. The rumbling tyres, the fact that you couldn't see the corners, the fact that if you ran over a coin you could have told whether it was heads of tails......all ridiculous. Cars like that are unusable. As a mode of transport a Ford Focus is vastly superior. Warren Buffett - with his $50bn dollar fortune - drives hail-damaged $10,000 saloons which his daughter has to buy him because he would just run an old jalopy into the ground. He stays in the same small house in Nebraska that he bought in the sixties. As he says, "I'm warm in the winter and I'm cool in the summer; if I thought I'd be more comfortable somewhere else I would move".

Your other remark about the role of luxuries and general progress is a point Adam Smith explored 250 years ago. People who read books know that kind of thing.

Nor is spent spent spent, sorry?

Nor is spent spent spent, sorry?

Nobody knows what this remark means. What are you trying to say?

Someone said ferrari is not spent ferary.

I think it's a comment just as serious as most posts are on this thread.

Just to change things a bit, I was in a restaurant a couple of nights ago and one of the company who is a self declared 'rich' man objected to the 250 baht corkage on the wine he brought, Mont Clare, is that how you spell it?

Strange world, innit?

Just back from the supermarket.

Cheese, sausage, slab of cider and a 4 pack of Heinz Beans. About 5 times the cost of the UK.

All imported! I'm guessing the OP isn't living off imported farang food.

I also find it cheap living in Thailand, but then her indoors *is* miss Thrifty. Even if we eat food from the street vendor just down the road it's still cheaper than buying a tin of beans back home.

I can do more with my money in Thailand than I could ever do back home.

I don't see how any Western expats live on only Thai food. You wont see the Thai expats in Europe only eating western food...they eat mostly Thai food

I have posted this before. Imagine a Thai in Los Angeles bragging to his Thai friends that all he eats is hamburgers, BBQ Ribs, Philly cheesesteaks and other American junk.

They would send him in for mental counseling.

Edited by arunsakda

I dont know the exact price of cigarette as I m not a smoker & Not a drinker . I save another 3k on health insurance every month , and I got compound interest. after a life, probably a few millions baht saved. I save sooooo much... it s just unebelievabke. people back in farang land want come to Thailand now and live the 5 stars life like I have but they are scared to get all these things for so little. they prefer to pay tax and live a miserable life surrounded by junks.

I have saved a few million baht by not buying gadgets like apple phone, tablets, video games, etc,... when I was younger. instead I buy everything second hand. money saved bring me more money and so on. it's just incredible. I win everywhere, but you know that already.

I m on a tourist visa, I just have saved over 500'000 baht( plus compound interest that will bring me 30 to 50 percent more) by not going elite visa. with the money saved I can buy flight ticket hotel, food, or just a few condo to my name ... just awesome! imagine a country filled with guys like me?

do you know the secret of success? it s not how much you make, but how much you save.

Maybe you could use some of those savings to have a talk with a shrink?

Yes, indeed imagine a country filled with guys like you...

seriously, a man doesn't need more than just feeding himself, having a shower or 2 a day and 8 hours sleep.

I have never understand how is it possible to spend more than 8000 bahts a month. we are no much different from animal.

look at your dog, once he is fed, he go sleep . why would it be different with you .?does your dog need a elite visa card too ?

seriously, a man doesn't need more than just feeding himself, having a shower or 2 a day and 8 hours sleep.

I have never understand how is it possible to spend more than 8000 bahts a month. we are no much different from animal.

look at your dog, once he is fed, he go sleep . why would it be different with you .?does your dog need a elite visa card too ?

But this is not called living... this is called surviving.

There is a difference between an animal and a human... but maybe you right. There are for sure some Humans which are maybe worth less than animals :)

If a human only wants food and sleep... then you also would agree to go into jail... because there you can sleep and have some food... all what you expect? This would be even cheaper... everything for free...

I can't take your writing (thinking) for serious......

what is living for you? I mean for you only. not money you give around. once you stomach is filled, what you need more? TV? I have free TV. internet? I got Internet for free from Internet coffee I get from my balcony. if you look around, many things are free, you just need to borrow and live like a man in an RV.

people living with your money doesn't count. believe me or not, I was even at under 7000 bahts/month and my life was better than most of you can imagine. a fantastic life.

I have nice condo in high rise building, TV, fan, fresh air, lot of food,... I m sure if I cut food expenses and go all fruits and vegetables I would be at around 6000 bahts per month and still have a kick ass life in Thailand.

if I grow my own food and get water from rain and filter it I would spend 4000 baht per month only.

Edited by returnofthailand

the entertainment value of your trolling is exhausted. you can now concentrate on living your phantasy lifestyle, perhaps improve your language skills and write reviews for Thailand's tourist authority to attract more persons of your category spending quality time in the Land of Smiles contributing in a big way to its economy.

gigglem.gif

what is living for you? I mean for you only. not money you give around. once you stomach is filled, what you need more? TV? I have free TV. internet? I got Internet for free from Internet coffee I get from my balcony. if you look around, many things are free, you just need to borrow and live like a man in an RV.

people living with your money doesn't count. believe me or not, I was even at under 7000 bahts/month and my life was better than most of you can imagine. a fantastic life.

I have nice condo in high rise building, TV, fan, fresh air, lot of food,... I m sure if I cut food expenses and go all fruits and vegetables I would be at around 6000 bahts per month and still have a kick ass life in Thailand.

if I grow my own food and get water from rain and filter it I would spend 4000 baht per month only.

You must be really really bored if your Friday afternoon is taken up trying to wind up an internet forum....

Never understood how people spend so much money here...

Just get arrested and you get food and accommodation for free.

Do you though? One bag rice, one bag fish head curry - 800 kcals if you're lucky. It wouldn't get me to elevenses. The thought horrifies me.

<snip>

Living like a man in an RV:

rv-life-ft.jpg

These posts actually are an insult to the average level of intelligence on this forum. I hope in the future TV decides not to let too much of this tripe into the mix. I have been cautioned for things that are thought out much more and not nearly as inflammatory. This is click bait

Damned, I still have a long way to go, only my electricity bill is 8k per month!

some of you make me laugh with your poor lifestyle.

I give you an example : you need hot shower because the ac is too cold.

why not get rid of your ac? no need of hot shower anymore and you save 6000 bahts a month that could be spend for proper food than your expensive American junk food.

once you start saving, you will realize it s like domino . you start to save everywhere and your lifestyle become better and better. works like magic.

another example :if you get rid of your junk, you don't need place to rent resulting more money saved for a better life because what count at the end? you or your junk?